Old 09-05-2019, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

This past weekend I watch Captains Courageous, which I'd never seen before. I really enjoyed it, but I was left wondering how the crew felt about a captain who'd gotten one of their shipmates killed because he couldn't bear to lose a race. Or why the land-based authorities apparently had nothing to say about it, either.

That was a nit pick, though. Overall, I loved the relationship between Manual and Harvey, especially Harvey finally learning that when you win something by cheating, it was not worth winning. I enjoyed how, when left without recourse, Harvey actually grew and learned. Tough love can be very effective sometimes. And I had a bit of hope, at the last scene, that Harvey had learned how to relate to his father without lying, and his father had learned how to be a real father who listened and did things with his son, rather than just tossing money and toys at him and thinking that was enough.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:22 PM

MotW: Blinded by the Light.

I know what you're thinking. It's one of those movies where they take a classic song, slap it on as a title and if you're lucky play a few bars during the closing credits. And the song has no connection to the movie at all.*

Nope. A kid from a Pakistani family in Luton**, UK discovers Bruce Springsteen in 1987 (!) and life changing events and movie ensue. So a lot of Springsteen music and lyrics are used. Contrasted with the actual contemporary music of the era: Wham!, The Bangles, Debbie Gibson and of course a mention of Tiffany.

I enjoyed the experience of watching it. But the question is: was I enjoying it because of the music or the movie itself? I guess the plot, etc. was okay. Several people in it were really good actors. In particular Aaron Phagura as the friends Roops and Hayley Atwell as the standard inspirational teacher. (And doing an amazing job channeling Kate Mara with a British accent.)

So I'd say fairly okay movie kicked up a level by the music.

Give it 4 cassettes.

* E.g., the movie Moonlight Mile was going to be named after a Beatles tune, but it was going to cost too much so they went with a Rolling Stones tune. The only other change was to edit in the song the couple dance to in one scene after filming. The song doesn't really mean anything in terms of the film. But it's still a good movie.

** Which I know mainly from several Monty Python sketches as a generic, drab, boring, British city. In this movie it's plagued by layoffs, racism, and Margaret Thatcher.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

I watched the original Pet Sematary this weekend. It's been near thirty years since I saw it last.

I was surprised at how well it's held up. It was tightly scripted; there was nothing in there that wasn't important to the story. They mention this guy's a doctor, well, I hope you were paying attention because next thing you know he's trying to save the life of a nice young man who's been hit by a car.

I was also impressed by the talent of the child actors, Gage especially. During some of the scenes, he looked like a baby trying to make the mad face without laughing, but I think it still worked.
Of course, Fred Gwynne stole the show. I haven't seen the remake, but I just don't know how there could ever be another Jud Crandall.

Five dead cats (or however we're rating these things).
Old 09-09-2019, 07:57 AM

I finally saw The Favourite. The costumes were great but why in heaven's name they put modern music in here and there is beyond me. It takes you completely out of the mood of the picture. Beyond that, I found it to be boring and the bits they showed in trailers were about the only entertaining parts.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Just watched "The Mule", after telling myself I'd never watch another movie by this racist asshole. Should have listened to myself, as it was basically just another two hours of him couching his racism under a thin veil of civility. Not as bad as Gran Torino, but still crap.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I finally saw The Favourite. The costumes were great but why in heaven's name they put modern music in here and there is beyond me. It takes you completely out of the mood of the picture. Beyond that, I found it to be boring and the bits they showed in trailers were about the only entertaining parts.
The problem was the trailers tried to pitch it as slapstick comedy, when it wasnít. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but only saw it after learning that it was not, in fact, a slapstick comedy, but more of a period drama.

I donít recall the music, so I guess I didnít find it too distracting.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Finally watched United 93. Very difficult to watch, even after 18 years have passed, and very well done.

Then watched the silliness that is Aquaman, but it was okay.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:40 PM

MotW: American Woman. (Note: there's a lot of stuff out there with the same title. A lot.)

Sienna Miller stars as a woman who undergoes a major tragedy and then it's affects over the years. Directed by Jake Scott (son of Ridley). Scott has mostly done music videos, e.g., Everybody Hurts.

Very hard to watch at times, esp. in the beginning. Miller's character is incredibly unsympathetic at first. But then time happens.

Really great cast. Christina Hendricks as her sister. (The usual understated great job.) Will Sasso as the brother-in-law. (If you only know him from stuff like the 3 Stooges movie or that Shatner sitcom, you've missed some good stuff. He is a subtle genius in Drop Dead Gorgeous.) Aaron Paul drops in as one of the men in her life. (So a Mad Men/Breaking Bad conjunction.) Amy Madigan as the mom. Pat Healy as the living embodiment of evil. (Well, I exaggerate, a little.) And so on down the cast list.

Like I said. Hard to watch for quite a bit of it. But still uplifting in its way.

Note: No attempt to play off the Guess Who song is intended.

Give it 4 frying pans.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:21 PM

"I Origins" (2014)
I have seen this movie for a few times already and I love to rewatch it with friends.
Some rating here https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2884206/
It combines scientific and spiritual aspects. Give it a try. I do enjoy this one immensely.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:36 PM

Just the noteworthy ones over the past couple of weeks:

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice
What can you say about one of the great pop voices of the twentieth century? This documentary isn't exactly a warts and all portrayal, but Linda Ronstadt didn't fall (very far) into the traps that provide juicy details for those Oscar bait biopics. If you love her music, it does cover most of her career (leaving out the Cajun phase late in her career and the bluegrass one early on). It does highlight how important her Mexican heritage really was to her, how sharp and insightful her takes on the music business were (especially given the giggly on-stage persona she had between songs), how genuinely generous she was to her fellow musicians, and how much control she was able to take over her career in an era when the record companies molded, pruned, and exploited artists to a great extent. In the end, the saddest thing was that she is ultimately a singer who was not focused on fame, making a lot of money, or creating "art". Her entire focus was to be able to sing songs she enjoyed with family, friends, and musicians she admired, and that has been take away from her.

If you're a fan, the film will reward you with some insights and facts you probably don't know and if you aren't a fan, maybe it will show you why we fans raise her up above other pop/rock voices of the 70's.

Hustlers
Apparently loosely based on actual events, this is a largely by the books slice of life portrayal of the women of the strip clubs, their trials and tribulations, and how they get their payoff. Jennifer Lopez shows what a compelling performance she can give when provided the right character. Constance Wu is ostensibly the star of the picture, but she has a harder time with a character that goes through massive changes from the beginning to the end of the story. Critics have talked about the view of the a strip club through the "female gaze" and this is a strength of the film. For example, the scenes in the Champagne Room don't arouse so much as they repel and make one uneasy. The movie does suffer from the standard weakness of this type of "Hollywood" portrayal, in that despite the strip club setting, nudity is sparse, and none of the top billed characters ever strip down past bra and panties, yet command thousands of dollars from their clients.

Worth seeing for the performances and the slight twist of view from the performers standpoint. Look for buzz about Lopez come Oscar time, but don't be surprised if there are no nominations for this film.

Freaks
This year, along with Fast Color, this is an example of what can be done with "small" superhero stories (no spandex, no humongous CGI budgets, no shoehorning of "canon" to appease the fanbase). I enjoyed the orchestration of tension and reveals in a sparse story that still manages some significant worldbuilding. The performance of the child actress that is the center of the story is particularly noteworthy.

Recommended. If you like Logan and especially if you like Fast Color, I'd recommend seeking this one out.

Monos
I'm still absorbing this one. Absolutely recommended. End-to-end tension that just keeps on going. You know where this is going (Lord of the Flies territory) but can't look away. The cast is uniformly excellent and there are no "background" characters in this ragtag group of rebels(?). I'm not sure there is any overarching lesson to be learned here, and it certainly doesn't give a damn about where anyone fits on the social justice scale. It is just a superlative story of people whose fate is inherent in their character and how that fate plays out under stress and fear.

Very much recommended if you don't mind subtitles and don't need stories without loose ends.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:10 PM

Dipping into the documentary pool: Jakob Dylan's Echo in the Canyon. The musical life north of Hollywood in the 60s.

Some really great old clips. Some "modern" people doing homages to the old tunes. Interviews. Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Beach Boys, Mamas and Papas, Lou Adler, etc. And a Ringo.

I am amazed by the singing capabilties of some of these people. Just knock your socks off.

Dylan ("You have to be more specific.") has a real focus on two things here:

1. The movie Model Shop. Made in the late 60s in LA. It's the official style guide if you want to do a Mad Men detailed movie set then. Dylan even drives around in the same car that the guy in the movie did. In the same places. That's ... obsession. Not sure why so much is devoted to it here given the lack of musical connections.

2. Neil Young. He interviews Crosby, Stills and Nash. Shows old clips, etc. But apparently couldn't convince old Neil to show up. Typical. The closing credits show Neil thrashing on the guitar in a studio. Young is the ghost in this little play.

Well, not counting Tom Petty. Wow. That's something to watch now.

Very nice. Good subject. Etc.

Give it 4.5 12 string Rickenbackers.

Now dying to see the Ronstadt movie.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:07 PM

Watched The Lincoln Lawyer over the weekend.

Really good movie. Wow, what a cast. Matthew McConaughey, William H Macy, Bryan Cranston, Bob Gunton, Marisa Tomei. Story is not that original, but it was well acted and well paced.

-God
Old 09-16-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Watched The Lincoln Lawyer over the weekend.

Really good movie...
That's so good to hear, I'll give it a try. Sometimes I'm hesitant to see a movie if I loved the book... actually, now a series of books. Which get increasingly meta, as Mickey Haller is recognized as "Ain't you that Lincoln Lawyer they did the movie about? Gotta say, you don't look anything like Matthew McConaughey."

Huh, and today I learned it's based on a real guy!
"The basic premise ...is that a busy criminal defense attorney works out of his car – a Lincoln Town Car – instead of an office; he is incessantly on the phone, as he is chauffeured between court appearances by a former client working off a legal-fee debt... the character is based on a real person: David Ogden, a Los Angeles attorney".

20 Questions for The Real Lincoln Lawyer

Last edited by digs; 09-16-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:22 PM

I've seen a few lately ranging from unremarkable, to friggin' weird.

Avengers: End Game - I rewatched it last night. It was fun again.

King of New York - on the recommendation of a friend. He loved it. I thought it was shit. Christopher Walken is a drug lord who just got of prison. Then he kills people for ninety minutes and dies in a car.

The Slammin' Salmon - a Broken Lizard joint. I loved Beerfest. I thought Super Troopers was ok. Super Troopers 2 was stupid. The only other Broken Lizard movie I've seen is Club Dread which I thought was god-awful. So I'm not sure why I call myself a Broken Lizard fan. That said, this one was pretty good. Much funnier that Super Troopers. Yes, it's kind of Waiting in just a more upscale restaurant but I liked it. The late Michael Clark Duncan is hilarious as The Champ

And then there's Bone Tomahawk - holy shit, this one isn't for the faint of heart, or stomach. A western, starring Kurt Russell who goes after literal troglodytes - here a cannibal tribe of cave dwellers - who have kidnapped a young lady. Very gritty and disgusting ... I won't even go into details. I actually thought it was pretty good, but damn, don't be eating anything greasy while you watch it.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Dipping into the documentary pool: Jakob Dylan's Echo in the Canyon. The musical life north of Hollywood in the 60s.

Some really great old clips. Some "modern" people doing homages to the old tunes. Interviews. Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Beach Boys, Mamas and Papas, Lou Adler, etc. And a Ringo.

I am amazed by the singing capabilties of some of these people. Just knock your socks off.

Dylan ("You have to be more specific.") has a real focus on two things here:

1. The movie Model Shop. Made in the late 60s in LA. It's the official style guide if you want to do a Mad Men detailed movie set then. Dylan even drives around in the same car that the guy in the movie did. In the same places. That's ... obsession. Not sure why so much is devoted to it here given the lack of musical connections.

2. Neil Young. He interviews Crosby, Stills and Nash. Shows old clips, etc. But apparently couldn't convince old Neil to show up. Typical. The closing credits show Neil thrashing on the guitar in a studio. Young is the ghost in this little play.

Well, not counting Tom Petty. Wow. That's something to watch now.

Very nice. Good subject. Etc.

Give it 4.5 12 string Rickenbackers.

Now dying to see the Ronstadt movie.
Just for the record, I always pronounced it bAHker.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:40 AM

Once every few months we watch a movie that's really nice but for some reason is going to basically disappear without a trace, to be barely seen by anyone.

Auggie is one of these films.

"Auggie" is short of Augmented Reality. Richard Kind (a great schlub going back to Mad About You and Scrubs appearances) is given augmented reality glasses at his retirement party. The glasses provide a "companion" to talk to, called Auggie (cf. Siri, Alexa but with video).

Kind gets into a really close relationship with Auggie which causes problems, of course.

The tech is more than a little magical. E.g., Auggie automatically knows what Kind is thinking due to sensors in the frame by the ears. But you can roll with that.

What I found best about the movie (besides Kind's perfect fit in the role) is that the story kept going along with nice little bits that I didn't see coming. (All too often I know the exact way the 3rd act is going to go based on the first half of the 1st act.) Over and over I was pleasantly surprised by interesting things happening. There's a richness to the plot without any real filler.

A pretty good movie that few will ever see. Shame.

Give it 4 lifeguard chairs.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:17 PM

Yesterday Girl - 8/10
Wow. I've been on an Eastern European binge, and was a little surprised that I stumbled upon one in German, but it caught my attention quickly. It's considered avant-garde experimental, stylish, art-house, but don't let this push you away. It's also a great story, one I've never seen in a movie, a character who is a kleptomaniac (which you find out in the first 20 seconds), but it's just so great, and she's great. She wrote, directed, AND starred. For some reason I thought of Vincent Gallo and "Buffalo '66" and then I just find out she also did everything herself, like he did. I also found out that they both never made any other movies that were given any attention, but I'll look.Both movies are also very good, without being pretentious, no waste. I hate when the counter-criticism of watching paint dry is defended as "artsy".

Oops. Her brother is Alexander. She is Alexandra. Damn, that changes so much.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:00 PM

Started watching Bohemian Rhapsody.

We stopped about 35 minutes into it, just when Freddy is surprised by the kiss from......whoever that guy was.

Big fan of Queen. The band members do a good job.......but it just doesn't ring true to me.

We will continue to watch but I do not have high hopes.

-God
Old 09-26-2019, 04:36 PM

I watched Limitless last night. Starring Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro, I really liked it. I feel like I'm the last person on earth to discover it. I actually had started to watch it sometime last year but I fell asleep and never caught up with it. I thought that effect of "swooping" through the streets of New York fish-eye style was pretty cool. The story had some issues and there were a few plot holes (like why did he borrow money from the loan shark in the first place and then once he had it why didn't he just pay him back the following week and be done with him?) but I thought it was pretty enjoyable. I mean Cooper and De Niro are both amazing actors and they really don't disappoint here. I could use a few of those pills myself because I didn't really figure out that every smart guy in the movie was hoarding his own stash until late in the flick.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:02 AM

Yesterday Girl (1966) -- I think its online, too... 8/10.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:07 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
I watched Limitless last night. Starring Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro, I really liked it. I feel like I'm the last person on earth to discover it. I actually had started to watch it sometime last year but I fell asleep and never caught up with it. I thought that effect of "swooping" through the streets of New York fish-eye style was pretty cool. The story had some issues and there were a few plot holes (like why did he borrow money from the loan shark in the first place and then once he had it why didn't he just pay him back the following week and be done with him?) but I thought it was pretty enjoyable. I mean Cooper and De Niro are both amazing actors and they really don't disappoint here. I could use a few of those pills myself because I didn't really figure out that every smart guy in the movie was hoarding his own stash until late in the flick.
Glad you liked it! It's one of my favorite movies of the century so far. Here's a previous thread about it: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=601289

My most recent five:

Into the Storm
Brendan Gleeson as Winston Churchill, leading Britain deeper into WWII and later looking back after his 1945 electoral defeat. Pretty good.

Blade Runner
Saw it again, this time with my youngest son, who hadn't seen it before (and liked it). Still a great movie and deservedly an sf classic.

Labyrinth
Having long heard about this cheesy Eighties fantasy David Bowie/quasi-Muppet movie, thought I'd check it out. I dozed off. Meh, although Jennifer Connelly is luminous.

Blue Note Records: Beyond the Notes
Documentary about the legendary jazz recording label - founded, bizarrely enough, by two expatriate German guys in 1939. Great music throughout, with some interesting thoughts on how jazz endures and reinvents itself for every generation. A must-see for any jazz fan.

Men in Black: International
Not as bad as the reviews, but not nearly as good as the first film in the franchise. Good chemistry between the two leads, Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson (reunited after the Thor movies), though.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:47 PM

Watched the infamous Yesterday.

Mostly good but with some terrible bits here and there.

The best: Sarah Lancashire! Oh, you want someone with a real role, do you? Okay, Lily James did a lot better than I've seen her in other things, including DA.

Sanjeev Bhaskar is great as usual. He's Sanjeev Kumar and Sunny Khan!

The worst. Well, obviously having that awful Ed Sheeran is a problem. But wasting Kate McKinnon like that is a pure crime.

The "interruption" running gag wore out quickly. Not done well.

Yeah, no people in the music industry are going to go that gaga instantly over someone singing a bunch of songs that are all over the spectrum. It doesn't work that way. OTOH, they are so clueless that the "recommendations" they make to songs are terrible.

The music and the core couple story carry this. The rest is just in the way.

Give it 3.5 plastic yellow submarines.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:31 PM

Rambo: Last Blood was the last action movie I seen, and it sucks. It really has nothing to do with Sly's Rambo character at all, and actually feels more like Taken, in Mexico.

Basically, the original 1982 movie made Rambo into an unforgettable pop culture icon, as did the other '80s sequels. The fourth one from 2008 is good too, but it's not great.

But this 2019 and supposedly final offering was not at all necessary, and I am worried the series has ended on a bad note.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Yeah, no people in the music industry are going to go that gaga instantly over someone singing a bunch of songs that are all over the spectrum. It doesn't work that way. OTOH, they are so clueless that the "recommendations" they make to songs are terrible.
This is something that bugs me about movies about the entertainment industry (music, movies, and literature) to the point I find it very hard to sit through them (if I even try: Yesterday is one I took a pass on). The idea that it just takes a great song/performance/manuscript or what have you combined with a littljust gumption to last until you get noticed and then you’ll be a sensation (the implication being for the rest of us mortals that if you never make it, it’s because you suck). It’s the idea that the response to "anyone can do it" is "and yet you didn’t" when the reality may well be "you’re more right than I’d care to admit."

They at least touched on this in the most recent iteration of A Star is Born with Lady Gaga’s line about not getting a record deal sooner because of her nose and all the attention paid to her appearance and the need to put on a show with dancers and pyrotechnics and everything. Because there are plenty of people who can sing, and plenty of people who can write good songs, and really you don’t even need to be able to do either exceptionally well to be a famous singer (not that it hurts to be able to do one or both, they’re just not as necessary as they ought to be). Why? The branding. If you can establish a brand or convince an agent that they can brand you, then you’ve got a shot. If you can’t... good luck getting that YouTube video to go viral. But just know that even if it does, odds are nobody will care beyond next week.

Last edited by ASL v2.0; 09-29-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:59 PM

To be honest, I don't really like a great deal of new pop music at all. Some of the songs from back in 2015 were catchy, but I prefer music from the eighties and prior decades.

The same with modern day films. There's many old films that are enjoyable to watch again and again, unlike many of today's flicks that you see once and are instantly forgettable.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:19 PM

Watched 2 horror movies yesterday, streaming.

Belzebuth, touted as a Shudder 'original'.

All in all, not a bad film. It started very strong but lost some gas as it went on. The film takes place in Mexico. Mostly in Spanish with subtitles. But then a 'gringo' comes in and then it's mostly in English. The leads accents are so heavy that we preferred the Spanish and the subtitles. They had a great premise about mass killings of children but they couldn't quite take it the uber-creepy it needed to be. Instead, it fizzled into a standard ancient good v. ancient evil.

We also watched Hell House LLC III: Lake of Fire .
General rule, any title that has a colon means it's a bad film.

Hell House, LLC, IMO, was a fantastic flick. Shown mostly in video that the characters recorded themselves, interspersed with talking heads, 'documentary' style, it was interesting and creepy as all get out.

Hell House LLC II was a piece of shit, and a really badly acted one.

But I had high hopes for this one. Like II, it relied on clips from I. Unlike II, it had better acting and more interesting story line.

I really, really, really wanted it to be good. But it was fair, at best. It started off strong, but they tried to tie up loose threads with an ending that made no sense.

-God

Last edited by Typo Negative; 09-30-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:52 PM

Watched Humphrey Bogart's last movie "the Harder They Fall". Damn fine performance, especially after finding out how tough it was on him. There's quite a few films of his that I haven't seen yet so decided to get a few at a time until I've seen them all. Will probably do the same with Trevor Howard.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:36 PM

Killing Gunther (2017) - a Taran Killam joint (written by, directed by, starring). You might recognize the name from SNL, on which he appeared from 2010 to 2016. It's about a hit man society in which Gunther (played hilariously by Arnold Schwarzenegger) is at the top of the heap, and a team of other pros get together to knock him off. It's presented as a pseudo-documentary, Killam's character wanting to document his rise to the top with the killing of Gunther. Gunther ends up making his own documentary about it because it looks like fun. Anyway, it's a weird, quirky movie that I thought was pretty fun.

Last night I re-watched Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001). I love this movie. The music, and musical performances, are some of the best on film. The ending is wrenching and beautiful and I wanted to mention it because I think more people ought to watch this flick more often.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post

Last night I re-watched Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001). I love this movie. The music, and musical performances, are some of the best on film. The ending is wrenching and beautiful and I wanted to mention it because I think more people ought to watch this flick more often.
I have the movie soundtrack on disc. Truly great rock and roll.

-God
Old 10-06-2019, 09:13 AM

Only You, the 2018 film.

A really good film that both of us like quite a bit.

Tales of a couple in Scotland meeting, finding love, having issues, etc. Lots of happy wonderful scenes but then also some downer stuff to provide a story line.

The lead actress is Laia Costa who is Catalan and this is put into the story. She is great. The acting in general is very good.

It's a well shot movie with some beautiful scenes. But then the key shot near the end is done via shaky-cam. Grr. But then again the shot during the closing credits is great.

Also has some nice music here and there. They even throw in a Penny and The Quarters song You Are Giving Me Some Other Love. But they list them as "Penny & The Quartets". Interesting tale about that group.

Speaking of which, no, the old Platters' song is not used in the film.

This is writer-director Harry Wootliff's first feature length film. So a good start out of the gate.

Give it 4 rings.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:38 AM

Snakes on a Plane (2006) - I'd avoided watching this movie because it just seemed like a ridiculous premise from the get-go and I figured it would just be a hacky piece of shit full of horrible special effects, wooden performance and plot lines out of MST3K. And I was right. What a pile of dung this flick is. It's in Sharknado territory. When the boa started swallowing the irritating guy (who you knew was going to die as soon as he threw that dog at a snake) I almost had to give it up, but I was paid off when that same boa with the irritating guy now half-way swallowed got sucked out the window. Anyway ... really shitty movie.

The Stuntman (1980) - Peeter O'Toole as a megalomaniacal director who will do anything to keep his movie shooting and anything to get the realest performance he can out of his actors. Steve Railsback is "Lucky", the fugitive who fucks up a shot while on the run and ends up replacing a stuntman who died. It's a fine homage to stunt work and to movie making, despite the fantastical nature in which they present both. I remember seeing it a long time ago and I'm glad I watched it again. It's a cool movie and O'Toole is outstanding as director Eli Cross.

Sing o' the Times (1987)- Prince concert film with Sheile E. and Sheena Easton and a back up singer named Cat who makes me feel like when I used to climb the rope in gym class. Fantastic show, fantastic music, fantastic performances. Highly recommended.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:49 PM

The Spy Who Dumped Me (2018) Some solid laughs, good looking film, the two lead actresses work great together, but they both deserve a better written movie. Almost achieved that perfect paranoia feel (Who can you trust? No one, that's who!). Mila Kunis in blonde wig is a heart stopper. Watch it once and forget it.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:28 PM

Watched In the Tall Grass on Netflix over the weekend

We enjoyed it. Had a good head-scratching 'live, die, repeat', time travel thing going. It was interesting and all the more so because they didn't really try to explain it.

Patrick Wilson was great. Rachael Wilson was wasted. Well paced, beautifully shot.

SPOILER:
Wish a couple more of them would have touched the rock

-God
Old 10-08-2019, 11:42 PM

Thank You for Your Service (2017) - As an Iraq War veteran with PTSD, I remember the first time I saw the trailer for this movie. I had a visceral reaction: I wanted to punch this movie in the face. Because as far as I could tell from the trailer, and the movie's source material, it was just going to be another one of those movies about veterans, but not by veterans, that purports to show a raw and gritty but sympathetic (I dare say "woke") portrayal of military service members trying to cope with the trauma of war and reintegration with civilian life, but really it just trots out the same tired, old, tropes about broken, wrecked, and often downright dangerous veterans that gained traction in the popular imagination post-Vietnam, and further perpetuated by post-9/11 films like Hurt Locker and Stop-Loss (two films that I consider to be on par with one another, in spite of what the Academy says).

That said, I finally broke down and decided to watch this movie today, and I've gotta say... I was absolutely, 100%, completely right. Itís trash. I shut it off after an hour. The story was infuriating for all the wrong reasons. Iím glad no one saw it in theaters and Iím glad it lost money.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:07 PM

Judy. Completing the trilogy of singer biopics, after Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman.

I liked it more than I thought I would, which I guess is a recommendation? The subject matter is tragic, of course. Renee Zellweger gives an incredible performance -- or is it an incredible impersonation? it's hard for me to tell. But she will undoubtedly garner an Oscar nom.

My local movie critic panned it, solely because they used Zellweger's voice instead of Judy Garland's (in his view, making the same mistake as Rocketman instead of the correct choice made in Bohemian Rhapsody.) IMHO unless you have Judy Garland's voice so imprinted in your brain that hearing anyone else sing her songs is jarring, you won't care. Zellweger does just fine.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Judy. Completing the trilogy of singer biopics, after Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman.

I liked it more than I thought I would, which I guess is a recommendation? The subject matter is tragic, of course. Renee Zellweger gives an incredible performance -- or is it an incredible impersonation? it's hard for me to tell. But she will undoubtedly garner an Oscar nom.

My local movie critic panned it, solely because they used Zellweger's voice instead of Judy Garland's (in his view, making the same mistake as Rocketman instead of the correct choice made in Bohemian Rhapsody.) IMHO unless you have Judy Garland's voice so imprinted in your brain that hearing anyone else sing her songs is jarring, you won't care. Zellweger does just fine.
I agree, totally. Obviously, Zellweger isn't Judy Garland, but who is? I know Judy's voice like the back of my hand, and it didn't bother me one bit to hear Zellweger do her songs. She did an amazing job and deserves an Oscar nomination.

I didn't like the girl who played the young Judy. I don't think she captured the part adequately.

Even though I was familiar with the events in the story, I was still moved by Garland's decline from greatness. Very depressing.

And I notice Zellweger hasn't entirely gotten rid of her squint.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:51 PM

Let's make it three. Just got home from Judy, and thought it was great. Rene is totally believable as Judy, IMHO. Well done, worth seeing.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:01 PM

Parasite, directed by Bong Joon-ho, who also directed Okja, Snowpiercer, and the off-kilter, fantastic Mother.

It's Shoplifters (which I felt should have won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film last year if justice had been served and Roma had won Best Picture) darkened and passed through a filter of class warfare in a society of polarized wealth and class. A brilliant film, with some superb acting, but this director is not to everyone's taste.

A highly recommended movie, one that will compete for this year's Best Foreign Film (it's already won the Cannes Palm d'Or - the first unanimous winner in more than 5 years). But just as I would not recommend a great sushi place to my friends that are not adventurous eaters, I would not recommend it to filmgoers that are not adventurous.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:19 PM

Mr. Klein - Reissue of 1976 French film.

From IMDB:
"Paris, 1942. Robert Klein cannot find any fault with the state of affairs in German-occupied France. He has a well-furnished flat, a mistress, and business is booming. Jews facing discrimination because of laws edicted by the French government are desperate to sell valuable works of art - and it is easy for him to get them at bargain prices. His cosy life is disrupted when he realizes that there is another Robert Klein in Paris - a Jew with a rather mysterious behaviour. Very soon, this homonymy attracts the close - and menacing - attention of the police on the established art trader."

Very well put together, sort of a Hitchcock / Kafka story, but with a jaunty French je nes se quoi that oddly keeps it from descending into real dread until the end. It's hard to tell if the film maker was wanting us to see our hero as a naif. Being a charming handsome privileged type who trusts the system to work this all out, he keeps a positive attitude even when faced with ruin. It's as if he never acknowledges that the French police are just as bad as the Nazis, although that is made clear to the audience.

One weakness was in the clothing and styling, the suffered from the looking like they had one foot in the 70s and one foot in the 40s, which was not uncommon for historical works made in that time period.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:07 AM

Natan (2013)

Documentary about the major movie studio mogul you never heard about, coincidentally sharing much of the setting of Mr. Klein. posted above.

Whatever you may be willing to believe about Bernard Natan, if you know your film history, the parting shots will feel like being stabbed in the heart. Like the Oscar voters this past year, sometimes it's difficult to differentiate a good documentary from a good subject. With this one you don't have to, both are excellent.

Last edited by eunoia; 10-14-2019 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:30 AM

Eroica (1958) - 7/10
Old 10-14-2019, 11:59 AM

Forgot I should post this one here until I saw the thread. That tells you something.

Toy Story 4. You know the basics. Some funny/touching stuff here and there but a ton of manic "stuff happening all over the place" crap for far too much of the film.

Some really amazing cutting edge animation in a few spots. So the drop back to less stellar stuff is noticeable. But I guess that have to keep Woody looking and moving like Woody.

A lot of new toys added that in many cases seem like a marketing grab. OTOH, Christina Hendricks shines as one of the new ones. Who knew she could voice act like that? And they managed to have Don Rickles still as Mr. Potato Head using some old material.

The first name in the credits for the original story is Rashida Jones. Yes, that Rashida Jones. Hmmm.

Give it 2 sporks.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:21 PM

Gehenna: Where Death Lives on Netflix

Trailer looked very interesting.

The film was not.

Lance Henriksen literally phoned his part in. His only screen time had him on the phone with another character. Sean Sprawling overacts in every scene. No chemistry between Eva Swan and Justin Gordon. Simon Phillipes tries to act menacing but just comes off as an asshole. The story is light where it should be heavy and heavy where it should be light.

You should probably pass.

-God
Old 10-14-2019, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Joker.

Taut interesting script.
Strong performances by the leads.
Kudos to the original score- an important element here.
Incredibly SMARTLY shot. The cinematography served the tone per scene, and the moments as well.

I could give two shits for comic book movies.

This isnt that.

It's a complex character study. Beautifully acted by the leads.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2019, 02:13 PM

More Streaming Movies

We watched Whiteout

Takes place at the North Pole.

First off, Kate Beckinsdale gets an underwear\shower scene before a word of dialog is spoken. It serves no purpose whatsoever.

It's supposed to be 55 below. Water freezes instantly. But we have characters, including Kate, outside with no ski masks. They don't even look that cold.
SPOILER:
It has a standard 'good guy is actually one of the bad guys' twists that we saw halfway through the movie.

Kate as 2 fingers amputated because of frostbite. She never seems to have pain because of this. She is literally running around, chasing and fighting with bad guys, both inside and out in the 55 below.

Pass

Also watched Convergence

It had an impressive cast and, for the most part, was well acted.

It started off weird and interesting. Could have been something.....

This from IMDB, so it's not really a spoiler:
Quote:
A detective must fight for the redemption of his soul when he finds himself trapped in a mysterious hospital that serves as a gateway between heaven and hell.
This is not apparent until about half way through. Once revealed, it becomes a far less interesting film. And no attempt to explain how a bomb throwing serial killing torturer gets 'caught between heaven and hell'.

-God
Old 10-17-2019, 11:49 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Over the weekend, I crossed a couple off my Oscars list (Witness and The Towering Inferno) and finally got around to watching Mission Impossible: Fallout.