Old 11-07-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
They do have pretty reasonable gun control laws, actually - what's different is the way guns are viewed there vs elsewhere.

In the US, a gun is mainly a symbol of many things, from the ownership of your home to the Constitution and the rights enshrined in it. In other countries, they tend to be viewed as a dangerous tool. But when you look at the laws in the US, they actually have checks that are very similar to those of other countries - the difference is that in other countries nobody would think of buying a gun because we have the right to.
Really? Most places have "shall issue" rules in place for concealed carry laws? Cos we surely do not in Australia. Nor do department stores sell firearms, like they do in the US. I think the rules are different, despite having similar cultures.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Extrajudicial

Shootout erupts during attempted home invasion in NW Harris County
Quote:
A group of suspects were hit in a shootout with a resident during an attempted home invasion Friday morning in northwest Harris County, authorities said.
Investigators said the armed men approached the victim's home, where several people were inside, including small children. The suspects fired shots at the homeowner and someone from inside of the home returned fire.

According to Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman, the suspects were hit during the gunfire and drove themselves to a nearby hospital. There is no word on the condition of the suspects.
Multiple suspects hit, no one inside hit. Sounds good to me.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Extrajudicial

Pontiac woman shoots, misses; ex flees, gets arrested
Quote:
The Oakland County Sheriff's Office said a Pontiac woman scared the man off when she pulled out a handgun and fired several shots Sunday after he broke into her home and threatened to "knock her out." The 30-year-old Pontiac man was later arrested and jailed.

The woman told deputies her ex-boyfriend had beaten her up the previous evening and returned again on Sunday morning to her home on East Montcalm Street, according to a press release from the Oakland County Sheriff's Office.
Woman defends herself against violent ex-boyfriend. Yay. Too bad she missed.

Last edited by Bone; 11-09-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:37 AM
Extrajudicial

Bonney Lake PD investigating after homeowner shoots intruder
Quote:
Detectives wrapped up their investigation at the scene and are going through evidence at police headquarters. It is evidence of what appears to be an armed intruder showing up at a doorstep.

"The homeowner who was the reporting party on this called to say to stop the intruder from coming inside the house, he pointed the gun and ended up firing 1 to 2 shots at the individual," said Officer Todd Green with the Bonney Lake Police Department.

Police said the homeowner, who is in his 50s, is acquainted with the suspected intruder, who is in his late 20s early 30s. The homeowner said the intruder first knocked on the door and spoke to his wife. When she saw the gun she went to get her husband, who armed himself. When he got to the door, that's when the shots were fired hitting the suspect in the legs.

"If somebody arrived at his front porch and had a gun and pointed it at the home owner then, yes, you're allowed to protect yourself at that point," Green said.
I wonder if he was aiming low on purpose.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:36 PM
BANNED

Young mom, National Guard medic, shot twice during home invasion while nursing her baby. Returns fire and intruders flee.

Quote:
What the men who broke in didn’t know was that Bunce is a combat medic with the North Carolina National Guard. They also didn’t know that she was armed — something that quickly became apparent when she decided it was her turn to shoot and then unleashed a volley of gunfire.

Paul Bunce, Semantha’s husband, told reporters that he believes his wife’s training helped her stay calm until paramedics could arrive at the scene and treat her, possibly saving her life. She also managed to save the life of the couple’s 4-month-old baby. She was feeding the boy when the attack occurred.
This young woman was seriously injured and according to the accompanying TV news video, was facing additional surgery for the wound to her stomach which the doctors were concerned about. A GoFundMe page has been set up to help with medical costs and is linked to in the accompanying story. Here's hoping she pulls through okay.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:47 PM
BANNED

And in other news, a woman being beaten with a hammer was saved when a bystander shot and killed her attacker.

Good to see local television media, at least, broadcasting these stories. Too bad one has to rely on Facebook and conservative sites to hear about them nationally like we do every time some wacko with a gun kills someone.

Liberal media bias, folks. It's real and this is one of the ways it expresses itself.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:41 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

By a margin of over two to one, Americans fear being a victim of gun violence more than they fear being a victim of terrorism. Even a majority of Republicans.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
By a margin of over two to one, Americans fear being a victim of gun violence more than they fear being a victim of terrorism. Even a majority of Republicans.
That article notes only that they are afraid of those things, not how much they fear them. On some level, I am afraid of getting shot and of terrorism. I fear getting stung by a bee or losing my car keys more, though, as those events are much more likely. I expect the people polled for that article would have similar fear levels. That article is of no value.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:35 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
Do you consider this positive news?

I can't tell if this is a commentary on the quality of individual risk assessment, the over inflated risk assessment of terrorism across the political spectrum, or the over inflated risk assessment of gun "violence" including suicide across the political spectrum, a lesson in odd A vs. B matchups, or something else.

And, you misread the article. Not a majority of Republicans as you state:
Quote:
Democrats fear guns over terrorism by 77-15 percent. Independents fear gun violence over terrorism by 64-28 percent.

Republicans edge toward terrorism as the bigger threat, but only narrowly, by 50-45 percent over a fear of gun violence.

Last edited by Bone; 11-10-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
And, you misread the article. Not a majority of Republicans as you state:
You are right. Republicans fear terrorism more. Which makes Scumpup's response even funnier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
That article notes only that they are afraid of those things, not how much they fear them. On some level, I am afraid of getting shot and of terrorism. I fear getting stung by a bee or losing my car keys more, though, as those events are much more likely. I expect the people polled for that article would have similar fear levels. That article is of no value.
So even though gun violence is orders of magnitude more common than terrorism, Republicans still fear terrorism more.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:24 PM

I don't give a crap about Republicrats and Democans. I am telling you that poll is useless because it doesn't tell us how much they fear those things compared to anything else. "Do you fear getting shot or terrorists more?" isn't very useful when most people who answered probably aren't especially afraid of either.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:28 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
You are right. Republicans fear terrorism more. Which makes Scumpup's response even funnier:
So even though gun violence is orders of magnitude more common than terrorism, Republicans still fear terrorism more.
Do you consider that positive news?
Old 11-10-2015, 07:38 PM
Extrajudicial

Four Teens Arrested In Attempted Local Home Invasion
Quote:
Four teenagers were in custody Monday in connection with an attempted home invasion in Hewitt that was thwarted when the former Marine whose home the teens targeted opened fire through the front door at the would-be intruders..
Don't open doors to strangers. I'd suggest against shooting through a closed door, but situational circumstances may make that the best option.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:58 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you consider that positive news?
I do.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Lucius View Post
I don't know what New Jersey law calls for in a case like this
Google is kinda your friend.

The NJ State Police regs.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
Not necessarily -

A life vs losing the money in the till to a fuckwit thief?

Between the two I know which I would choose - even if it was my personal money

You might want to rethink that attitude.
http://ladailymirror.com/2013/12/26/...-bobs-big-boy/
I used to work across the parking lot from that restaurant.
Remember this motto to live by: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather one should aim to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, glass of Scotch in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! Man, what a ride!"
Old 11-10-2015, 10:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
In other news, a would be robber was shot and killed as he attempted to rob a Waffle House:
No, that is not "Positive Gun News," that is a worse outcome than if he had gotten away with the money. The contents of a cash register are worth nobody's life.

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 11-10-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:16 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
No, that is not "Positive Gun News," that is a worse outcome than if he had gotten away with the money. The contents of a cash register are worth nobody's life.
Thanks for sharing! Fortunately the laws in nearly every state disagree with you. If you think this is a bad outcome, good luck trying to change the laws.

In other news, Neighbor shoots aggressive dog involved in fight with another dog:
Quote:
A resident shot his neighbor's aggressive dog in the throat Tuesday morning after the dog owner was bitten and screamed for help, police said.

Officers responded to a report of a woman screaming for help and dogs barking around 11 a.m. Tuesday in the 500 block of McIntosh Terrace, according to a news release from Brentwood police. Upon arrival, officers learned that two dogs owned by the homeowner were fighting.

The 60-year-old homeowner was bitten when she attempted to separate her fighting dogs, police said. The woman screamed for help as she feared the aggressive dog would kill her other dog.

Armed with a gun, the woman's neighbor went to the house to assist her. The neighbor saw that the aggressive dog had the other dog by the threat and shot it twice. The shooting stopped the attack and the dogs were separated.
I am generally a dog person, but dogs who attack are a serious problem.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And it's a vastly better income than if the robber had decided to start shooting once he had the money in hand, as have many robbers over the years.

I once was close with a young family consisting of a guy with second job at a convenience store, and his wife and 6-year-old son who came to visit him one day. They were robbed of $50, herded into the cooler and shot execution style by their robbers. (The bad guys were later found and sent to prison. The shooter subsequently escaped several years later and I've never heard of him being found.)

It's ludicrous beyond belief to suggest that anyone being robbed and having access to a gun should opt not to use it and choose instead to hand over the money and stand there meekly hoping the bad guy won't shoot them, all because supposedly the robber's life is worth more than the money in the till. Robbers aren't shot because of the value of the money involved, they're shot because they're threatening the lives of other human beings.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:15 AM

You think that a young mother being shot twice ends up being in a positive story for guns, because she was able to shoot back?
Old 11-11-2015, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Robbery Attempt At Light Rail Station Backfires When Would-Be Victim Gets The Gun

Robbery suspect shot with his own gun - that he wasn't legally able to possess
And your idea of a positive gun story is that a person who was able to illegally obtain a gun attempted to rob people, fired at them three times, but then had the gun taken off him by one of the victims?

You are effectively saying that really nasty events that didn't go as badly as they could have are good things.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kumquat View Post
You think that a young mother being shot twice ends up being in a positive story for guns, because she was able to shoot back?
Of course.

Her son will grow up with his mother, her husband will continue life with the woman he loves, and the young woman will get to spend the rest of her life enjoying countless birthdays, Christmases, summers at the pool, her son's growth to adulthood and beyond, her grandchildren, etc., etc., etc. All the things her would-be killers would have deprived her of had she not been able to arm herself.

If your point is that in the ideal world you imagine where no criminal ever has a gun then this woman wouldn't have been shot in the first place, I'll agree that in that fictional scenario she wouldn't have been shot. Of course she still could have been stabbed or bludgeoned or killed in any number of other ways that criminals in countries with strict gun control kill their victims (and, given how attractive she is, probably raped in the bargain), so I'd still prefer she be armed with a gun. Guns are great equalizers. They put 105 lb. women on even ground with 225 lb. thugs and allow them to escape all manner of evil which they'd otherwise be unable to escape. Knives, swords, clubs or simple brute strength can inflict all sorts of harm on their victims. A gun more than equalizes such a threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kumquat
And your idea of a positive gun story is that a person who was able to illegally obtain a gun attempted to rob people, fired at them three times, but then had the gun taken off him by one of the victims?

You are effectively saying that really nasty events that didn't go as badly as they could have are good things.
A good ending means that what happened to create that ending is a good thing. Would you not agree that had those three shots not missed or the shooter hadn't been unarmed and the people being robbed killed, that would have been a bad thing?

Of course it's a good thing they were able to disarm the shooter. This stuff is dog simple. I can't believe it's even open to argument. And if your stance is that it would have been better had the robber not been armed to begin with, I refer you back to what I said two paragraphs above.

Last edited by Starving Artist; 11-11-2015 at 02:07 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:13 AM

Never mind

Last edited by Wolf333; 11-11-2015 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Extrajudicial

Quote:

Of course not - the positive part is that the robbery suspect was shot with his own gun. The events leading up to that point were negative. Wouldn't you agree?

I am saying that even in the face of horrible circumstances, people can use guns in a positive way.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:50 AM
Extrajudicial

And in other news, Homeowner shoots suspect during home invasion
Quote:
A homeowner here shot a man who claimed he was with a gas company but tried to break into his home, according to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.

The suspect was with another man who asked the homeowner where his gas meter was located Tuesday afternoon. The homeowner directed the two men to his backyard, but told deputies he was suspicious and grabbed a gun.

The suspects broke into the home and assaulted the homeowner, sheriff’s officials said, before the homeowner grabbed his gun and fired at the suspects. No one inside the home was injured.

One of the men was hit and the other ran but was later caught. The wounded suspect was transported to Memorial Hermann Hospital.
As a general rule I wouldn't answer the door for uninvited or unscheduled people. Another DGU with no one dead.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Her son will grow up with his mother, her husband will continue life with the woman he loves, and the young woman will get to spend the rest of her life enjoying countless birthdays, Christmases, summers at the pool, her son's growth to adulthood and beyond, her grandchildren, etc., etc., etc.
OK, let me see if I've got the rules for this Positive Gun Event thing then.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...terest-n460491

Sure the judge was shot, and suffered an extremely serious injury...but the police have arrested someone, presumably using guns as they did so, so all in all it's a Positive Gun Event, right?
Old 11-11-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Of course not - the positive part is that the robbery suspect was shot with his own gun. The events leading up to that point were negative. Wouldn't you agree?

I am saying that even in the face of horrible circumstances, people can use guns in a positive way.
Apropos of this thread, I quote Francis from Stripes :

"All I know is I finally get to kill somebody."
Old 11-11-2015, 01:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
OK, let me see if I've got the rules for this Positive Gun Event thing then.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...terest-n460491

Sure the judge was shot, and suffered an extremely serious injury...but the police have arrested someone, presumably using guns as they did so, so all in all it's a Positive Gun Event, right?
Nope, you still don't get it.

Neither does Jack Batty.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Would you prefer they played out in the most atrocious possible way?
Old 11-11-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
You are ignoring, willfully I suspect, that the robber decided when he initiated events that the contents of the cash register were worth somebody's life. He was betting that the life would not be his. It is a positive outcome when the robber loses that bet.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Sounds like this is a bit of Negative Gun News. Because, you know, it doesn't seem like the fact that he wasn't legally able to possess a gun was much of an impediment to his becoming a Bad Guy With A Gun.
Exactly. And banning guns isn't going to make it any harder for him. It will just make it impossible for the rest of us.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
So the positive news is that many gun owners are ignorant of the laws about carrying guns and sometimes their ignorance is at least allowed for? Or are you secretly campaigning for much better required training before people are permitted to carry guns in any state. If so I applaud you.
The positive news is that governors are handing out pardons for violations of stupid laws.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
If I'm "protecting life" it's not an armed robber but a murderer. In that situation yes.
Between killing someone and the $200 or $300 in the till (or my wallet), no I wouldn't shoot to kill.
You must be a pretty good shot if you can place your bullets well enough to prevent death.

BTW, how do you know if the guy pointing the gun at you is just a robber or a murderer?

Would it surprise you to find out that the felons that are most likely to become murderers are violent felons including armed robbers?
Old 11-11-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Nope, you still don't get it.
OK, explain the difference. Why is your story (woman gets shot, fires back at attackers) more of a positive event than mine (woman gets shot, armed police arrest suspect).

How about this one:

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/fox-lake-...-criminal-acts

Gun owner shoots person who had committed extensive criminal acts - that's positive, right?
Old 11-11-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Would you prefer they played out in the most atrocious possible way?
Actually no. But then again I'm not the one rushing to describe events that sound pretty damned horrible to me as "positive"
Old 11-11-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Actually no. But then again I'm not the one rushing to describe events that sound pretty damned horrible to me as "positive"
Until you come up with a reliable method of identifying those who would rob, rape, and/or kill before they commit those crimes, we must take our positives where we xan find them.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
I think we have the capacity to evaluate components of an event, rather than the event in total. Do you think that's true? Do you think the fact that a victim of a crime was able to defend them self sounds horrible?
Old 11-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
OK, explain the difference. Why is your story (woman gets shot, fires back at attackers) more of a positive event than mine (woman gets shot, armed police arrest suspect).

How about this one:

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/fox-lake-...-criminal-acts

Gun owner shoots person who had committed extensive criminal acts - that's positive, right?
Your misleading synopsis is not even clever. Are you saying that a person committing suicide is positive? I think you're confused which thread you're in.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:39 PM

Since people are doing this, I randomly came across:
Home Alone Boy, 13, Shoots Suspected Burglar Dead With His Mother’s Gun
No, it's not Macaulay Culkin.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Your misleading synopsis is not even clever. Are you saying that a person committing suicide is positive?
But I thought you wanted examples of incidents where guns stopped the bad guy? Doesn't this count? He was a criminal. He was shot by a gun. I'd have thought that's exactly what you wanted?

By the way, regarding the Auraria West light rail station, I've been thinking about it and I'm not sure if that's really a good one for this thread.

Quote:
Then a scuffle ensues between the suspect and one of the victims, at that point the weapon becomes loose and the other victim picks up the gun and fires at the suspect,” Downs said
I think that should be in a "positive scuffle news of the day" thread. What do you reckon?
Old 11-12-2015, 12:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
But I thought you wanted examples of incidents where guns stopped the bad guy? Doesn't this count? He was a criminal. He was shot by a gun. I'd have thought that's exactly what you wanted?
I'd have thought he wanted examples of incidents where guns enabled people to defend themselves from bad guys. Surely the distinction is not beyond your grasp, although your last few comments cause me to be less confident of that assumption than I might have been otherwise.

Quote:
By the way, regarding the Auraria West light rail station, I've been thinking about it and I'm not sure if that's really a good one for this thread.

I think that should be in a "positive scuffle news of the day" thread. What do you reckon?
Admittedly this instance falls short of what I believe the purpose of the thread is, which is to highlight the numerous times gun owners have been able to use their weapons to defend themselves and their loved ones from criminal threat. Since you seem confused as to how this particular situation should be described, I'd characterize it as an incident which started out as a negative use of guns that fortunately turned into a positive use of guns.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:57 AM

Quote:
I'd have thought he wanted examples of incidents where guns enabled people to defend themselves from bad guys. Surely the distinction is not beyond your grasp, although your last few comments cause me to be less confident of that assumption than I might have been otherwise.
Oh my dear SA, I don't think you should be throwing snarks about comprehension around. It ill suits you.

For example, how would you fit your theory around the two cases from the OP of people being pardoned for breaking gun laws. Or the two where unarmed people managed to disarm their armed assailants? Doesn't it strike you as a bit of a stretch to say that a man using krav maga to disarm his armed assailant was only able to defend himself because of the gun?

Probably best for the OP to spell out his ground rules for this one. Only then can I be confident of being able to help find suitably positive stories!

Last edited by Gary Kumquat; 11-12-2015 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Oh my dear SA, I don't think you should be throwing snarks about comprehension around. It ill suits you.
Oh, I don't know...it had the effect of getting you to drop the pretense and faux befuddlement and post something serious for a change.

Do you really think you've been scoring any sort of worthwhile points by suggesting things like it being a positive for gun ownership in the OP's mind that a rogue cop committed suicide? Or by pretending it's a condemnation of gun ownership to observe that a woman shot by intruders wouldn't have been shot had they not had guns, irrespective of the fact she could have faced a far worse fate had she been unarmed also and they attacked (and likely raped and killed) her with knives or bludgeons or their fists?

I notice you've been utterly silent when it comes to answering any of the issues we've raised, including the question of how you'd keep guns out of the hands of criminals post gun control or legal elimination. Until you can tell us how victims without guns are supposed to fight off criminals armed with illegal guns (or axes or swords or cleavers or baseball bats) and/or how you're going to keep guns out the hands of bad guys in your utopian gun free world, you aren't going to make much headway in getting anyone not already opposed to gun ownership to change their mind.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Oh, I don't know...it had the effect of getting you to drop the pretense and faux befuddlement and post something serious for a change. ...

...you aren't going to make much headway in getting anyone not already opposed to gun ownership to change their mind.
Why SA, there seems to be some confusion on your part. I am truly not looking to change the mind of yourself, Bone, or anyone else. I am sincerely and honestly trying to understand what the OP believes is a positive gun experience, but I'd also be interested in your position.

So please, there's no need for you to throw in strawmen about post gun utopias or other such unrelated issues. No doubt the OP will be back shortly to clarify his stance on just what is a positive gun experience, and by all means feel free to continue explaining your own stance.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I am sincerely and honestly trying to understand what the OP believes is a positive gun experience, but I'd also be interested in your position.
Your curiosity and desire to, uh, comprehend are indeed admirable. Therefore may I suggest you look at the examples we post as examples of what we find to be positive gun experiences. It's really not that hard if you put your mind to it.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Your curiosity and desire to, uh, comprehend are indeed admirable. Therefore may I suggest you look at the examples we post as examples of what we find to be positive gun experiences. It's really not that hard if you put your mind to it.
Why I did look at thosee examples, hence my earlier questions. For example, those two cases of people manually disarming attackers with guns? Not sure I'm really seeing why that's a positive gun event, as it wasn't really the gun that saved the day there.

Or is the definition of a positive gun event one where guns were involved, but good people weren't killed?
Old 11-12-2015, 08:03 AM

I agree that lots of these examples are incidents of desirable, but lamentable, outcomes from bad circumstances. Although it's unseemly to celebrate them, I do understand the political intention behind this thread.

Sad fact: I did a quick check through the dates and locations for each of your anecdotes, and in every one of the first six cases, there was a murder-suicide committed with a firearm in the same state on or around the same day. Nationally, there would be multiple instances of murder-suicides occuring on or around each of your anecdotes, such as the sad case of the guy who killed his wife and three kids in Minnesota in the beginning of September.

So...moar guns? Yeah!

Last edited by Hentor the Barbarian; 11-12-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
I am sincerely and honestly trying to understand what the OP believes is a positive gun experience, ...
I don't believe you. If you really were interested, why did you fail to respond to these questions:
Quote:
I think we have the capacity to evaluate components of an event, rather than the event in total. Do you think that's true? Do you think the fact that a victim of a crime was able to defend them self sounds horrible?
Quote:
So, to clarify for anyone who either didn't read the first post, or didn't actually comprehend it: Positive news relating to firearms. You can decide for yourself what you consider to be positive. I think it's more revealing that yourself and Vaevictis praise suicide as a positive. But in case you weren't clear, from the first post:
Quote:
This is a thread to bring up another aspect of gun ownership - positive news. I post it in this forum instead of in the Pit since it really is not any kind of statistical analysis, just mindless data points to share. Hopefully people can add their own positive news items relating to firearms.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:45 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Second Amendment election results 2015
There were two states that had elections last week where firearm issues played an important role. The result:
Quote:
Texas is the 19th state to add express protection of the right to hunt to its state constitution. Pennsylvania and Vermont were the first, in the 18th century. A right to hunt measure will be on the ballot in Indiana in 2016.

In Virginia, the State Senate had a 21-19 Republican majority. Democrats hoped to pick up at least one seat, which would flip party control thanks to the Lt. Governor’s tie-breaking vote. Two key seats were in play:

In the 7th district, covering parts of Virginia Beach and Norfolk, there was an open seat created by a Republican retirement. In the Mansassas area, there was an open seat resulting from a Democratic retirement. Michael Bloomberg’s “Everytown for Gun Safety” organization spent massively in both races: $700,000 in the first race, and $1.5 million in the second, according to The Washington Post.
And the results? The two candidates that Bloomberg tried to push both lost, and McAuliffe will have little to no chance to advance any gun control agenda. An Op Ed (I think?) from the Washington Post asks, Did gun control cost McAuliffe and Democrats the Virginia election?
Quote:
When Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe and his fellow Democrats study what went wrong for them in Tuesday’s crucial legislative elections, one possible mistake stands out: Their aggressive advocacy of gun control in a pivotal Senate race in the Richmond area may have backfired by producing a pro-Republican backlash.
From a local paper:
Quote:
Sturtevant’s victory margin in Powhatan also raised questions about whether a big gun-control advertising push for Gecker by a national group backed by former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg backfired by turning out gun-rights advocates at the polls. Everytown for Gun Safety Action Fund spent $700,000 on advertising on behalf of Gecker.
“Amazing Powhatan turnout. Definitely Bloomberg backlash,” longtime Democratic political operative Paul Goldman said in a text message.
Bloomberg has the ability to outspend every single gun rights organization single handedly, and his pledge last year to spend $50M dwarfs anything else out there. This election was a data point that it is not simply a matter of spending.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, to clarify for anyone who either didn't read the first post, or didn't actually comprehend it: Positive news relating to firearms. You can decide for yourself what you consider to be positive.
Not taking a position here, but just to offer an analogy for why some have a hard time understanding the "positive news" angle to the thread:

Many folks here believe women have a right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy, and many feel very strongly that this right is under attack. However, most of these pro-choice people recognize that having an abortion is a very serious matter, and would hesitate to start a thread recounting myriad stories of destitute teenagers being raped and choosing to end the pregnancy, and then going even further and calling this "positive news" about the right to choose.

So when we talk about a crime victim ending an assailant's life, many people may see the justified homicide as the lawful use of a very important right to self-defense, but stop short of calling it "positive news." I think the term "positive news" calls to mind events that we all wish would happen, as opposed to applying it to an extremely traumatic episode resolved through invoking an important (but controversial) civil right.