Old 10-29-2015, 03:00 PM

Hamilton - The Musical

Has anyone seen this? It's apparently HUGE on Broadway, performances are pretty much sold out for the forseeable future.

I've picked up the soundtrack (after having a bunch of friends glow about it), and I'm liking it a lot. No standout single, but a really cool storyline and a novel approach to telling the story.

The music is largely rap, hip-hop, & R&B, with some strong Broadway/Tin Pan Alley influences as well - the cast is almost entirely people of color, regardless of the fact that most of the historical folks were white as hell. Per Lin-Manuel Miranda, who wrote the music/lyrics/book and plays Hamilton, "Our cast looks like America looks now, and that's certainly intentional. It's a way of pulling you into the story and allowing you to leave whatever cultural baggage you have about the Founding Fathers at the door."

It's based on Ron Chernow's 2004 biography of Hamilton, which won a George Washington Book Prize and was nominated for the National Book Critics Circle Award.

I can hardly wait till a touring version comes to me - I can't really justify a trip to NYC to see it, but still...
Old 10-29-2015, 03:04 PM

My wife was urging us to go to this just last night. I agreed, but now I have to back out I fear.

Quote:
The music is largely rap, hip-hop, & R&B, with some strong Broadway/Tin Pan Alley influences as well
Old 10-29-2015, 03:07 PM

Honestly, don't let that put you off. I'm not a big rap fan, either, but it really does work in the context.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie the Ocelot View Post
Honestly, don't let that put you off. I'm not a big rap fan, either, but it really does work in the context.
ok, thanks. Maybe it will improve my tolerance of the genre. I can tolerate almost anything for two to three hours.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
ok, thanks. Maybe it will improve my tolerance of the genre. I can tolerate almost anything for two to three hours.
Have you seen or heard In the Heights? It's written by the same guy and was a huge hit as well, if that helps alleviate your fears.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:16 AM

http://youtu.be/0wboCdgzLHg

A cool piece on the show, from before it went to Broadway.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
You will more than tolerate this! The musical is phenomenal!
Old 10-30-2015, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

I believe it is sold out through January at least.

In the New York area, it is freakin' huge. On any given day, there is a piece in the media delivering straight news or a big think piece on Hamilton and its creator and star:

- The success of it as a blockbuster show
- Commentary on what it and The Book of Mormon and Fun House say about the future of Broadway
- The high-powered political and celeb attendees
- The fact that Lyn-Manuel Miranda just got a MacArthur genius grant and is fluent in both hip hop and Broadway
- How Miranda seamlessly fused Hamilton's story with the vibe, music and cross-cultural sense of American Identity of modern hip hop.
- How kids of color from low income areas are being given free access to the show because of its content and message

Everything I have heard has been positive, like the Book of Mormon. I would love to see it if I could not have to deal with the nuttiness.

Last edited by WordMan; 10-30-2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:14 PM

This is a great selection of clips from the show.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
You will more than tolerate this! The musical is phenomenal!
Lin-Manuel is a master of music (& lyrics). The rap and hip-hop really work--now I need to study up on these genres that had not been my cups of tea. But the play also features songs with tunes that stay with you--in several other styles. Including Brit-Pop for George III--the only major role played by a white actor.

This site has the lyrics--& who is singing what. Plus serious annotation...

Spotify has the Cast Album as does Amazon Prime....

Last edited by Bridget Burke; 10-31-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's based on Ron Chernow's 2004 biography of Hamilton, which won a George Washington Book Prize and was nominated for the National Book Critics Circle Award.
And yet I'm guessing Chernow didn't anticipate his book being turned into a rap musical.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:08 PM
SDSAB

The Chernow book is great. I'm bemused by the very concept of this show, but if it's a success, God bless 'em.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
And yet I'm guessing Chernow didn't anticipate his book being turned into a rap musical.
No, but he was converted. (And Chernow worked as historical adviser while the play was being written.)

Quote:
For his part, biographer Chernow says he was initially skeptical that his book could be turned into a musical, much less one that uses rap as its main source of expression. But he agreed to meet with Miranda. "He came over to my house, he sat on my living room couch, he started snapping his fingers, and he sang the opening song," Chernow says. "And I absolutely marveled at what he had done, because I realized he had condensed the first 40 pages of my book accurately, into a 4 1/2-minute song!"
From another interview:

Quote:
Chernow said he wasn’t surprised that Miranda lifted certain juicy episodes from the book onto the stage, like Hamilton’s scandalous affair with Maria Reynolds or his rivalry with Aaron Burr. But “I was startled that he also worked in Hamilton’s assumption of state debt, Washington’s Neutrality Proclamation and the Whiskey Rebellion. This is arcane historical stuff that he makes not simply arresting, but irresistible.”
Old 11-01-2015, 10:34 AM

And if you're still not convinced, check out this video of Miranda performing for President Obama, back when he first started writing the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNFf7nMIGnE
Old 11-17-2015, 03:20 PM

Have been listening to the soundtrack for almost 3 weeks straight. Am at the point where I'm counting up the $ and seeing how much a trip to NYC to see it would set me back.

(There's a couple other new shows on B'way that I wouldn't mind seeing either.)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Have been listening to the soundtrack for almost 3 weeks straight. Am at the point where I'm counting up the $ and seeing how much a trip to NYC to see it would set me back.

(There's a couple other new shows on B'way that I wouldn't mind seeing either.)
Good luck getting tickets!
Old 11-17-2015, 11:14 PM
SDSAB

There was even a shoutout to it on the TV sf/crime show Limitless tonight.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Now that I have read the thread, it does sound a lot more interesting than a musical about a pretty dull Scottish town, which is what the title first suggested to me.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:35 PM
SDSAB

Mount Vernon has recognized the merits of the show: http://www.mountvernon.org/about/new...on-book-prize/
Old 12-03-2015, 09:30 PM
BANNED

Lin-Manuel Miranda sounds like a moron who couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the c, a and t
Old 12-03-2015, 09:38 PM

Lin-Manuel Miranda was chosen to write the cantina scene song in the new Star Wars movie.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Son View Post
Lin-Manuel Miranda sounds like a moron who couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the c, a and t
I mean, it's not like he wrote not one but two game-changing Broadway musicals--oh wait, yes he did.

It's not like he performed for the President of the United States--oh wait, yes he did.

I guess once you do those things you might have an even playing field, huh?
Old 12-04-2015, 02:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Right. Because that's the type of intellect the MacArthur Foundation is looking for when they're handing out genius grants.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow, threadshit much? Especially given all of the recognition he has received. Too funny.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Lin-Manuel is so dumb he probably steals his insults from 1970s football players!

Last edited by storyteller0910; 12-04-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:31 PM

After In the Heights I was pretty willing to call Miranda a revolutionary genius who was going to help save musical theatre from itself (and I think I did in a thread on musicals from a few years ago, I can't find it right now though.)

After Hamilton I think he may have actually succeeded. The only real issue is that Broadway shows are stupid expensive, which means it's still not going to be accessable to the average person for a long while, but I won't go down that particular rabbit hole. Hamilton is great. It's more Broadway than Hip hop by a long shot, but in a good way. It's all kinds of catchy and accessible while still pushing the envelope musically and with its storytelling. Everyone should check out the cast album at least.

Last edited by NAF1138; 12-04-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:38 PM

My only complaint about this thread is that while people are correctly recognizing Miranda's brilliant work on In The Heights and Hamilton, no one has mentioned...

Bring It On: The Musical.

(OK, it's not as good as the aforementioned two, but it's still way more fun than it has any right to be.)
Old 12-04-2015, 10:22 PM
SDSAB

A friend is going to NYC soon and just tried to score tickets for Hamilton. The cheapest: $400!
Old 12-05-2015, 04:50 AM
Charter Member

Pretty sure those are scalper ticket broker prices. There used to be day-of-show lotteries, which would get the winners in at a price below face value. I'lll ask my daughter if those are still a thing.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Pretty sure those are scalper ticket broker prices. There used to be day-of-show lotteries, which would get the winners in at a price below face value. I'lll ask my daughter if those are still a thing.
From the show's website:

Quote:
Two-and-half hours before each performance patrons may enter their name outside the theater for a chance to buy up to two $10 front row tickets. Winners' names will be drawn two hours before show time. Entrants must present photo ID, and the winners must pay with cash at the box office.
Yeah, the ultra-high prices are for re-sales. Rather than planning a trip to NYC & then trying to buy tickets, one should buy tickets (however far in advance) & then plan the trip....

I could budget for a ticket but travel expenses & hotel would drive the price right up. Besides, there are so many lovely ways to spend money in NYC. So I'll keep my ears open for the roadshow--because I'm sure those tickets will go fast....
Old 12-05-2015, 04:02 PM

Coming in late 'cause I just saw the thread.

I saw Hamilton in July and can't recommend it highly enough. I preordered the cast album and have been listening to it continuously in the car since it arrived. Picture a middle-aged white guy driving through rural Connecticut rapping at the top of his voice.

But as others have said, it's not all rap. George III's two songs are BritPop, "Helpless" is 60s girl group fare, "The Story of Tonight" reminds me of "Drink with Me" from Les Miserables, "Blow Us All Away" is just an incredibly beautiful song that makes me think of my own small daughter and get misty most times that I hear it. Much of the rest (that isn't rap) is straight-up Broadway show tunes.

Yes, Broadway tickets are way too expensive. So are hotel rooms in New York City (they might be cheaper in Queens or Brooklyn; I don't know). But if there's any way you can make it happen, you should.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
From the show's website:

Yeah, the ultra-high prices are for re-sales. Rather than planning a trip to NYC & then trying to buy tickets, one should buy tickets (however far in advance) & then plan the trip....

I could budget for a ticket but travel expenses & hotel would drive the price right up. Besides, there are so many lovely ways to spend money in NYC. So I'll keep my ears open for the roadshow--because I'm sure those tickets will go fast....
That's probably the best approach to take for someone with an airline ticket to fly out of NYC in the next couple of days. Kayla was attending school there last year, and if she didn't win the online or box office lotteries, she'd walk over to another theatre and get a rush ticket for something she hadn't seen yet.

She was SO excited when she finally won, like a week before she was scheduled to fly home.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
The Chernow book is great. I'm bemused by the very concept of this show, but if it's a success, God bless 'em.
Just from what I've heard from the soundtrack (you can stream it on Spotify), yes, scoff all you wish, but it really does work, and beautifully. Maybe someday I can even afford to see it.

The Chernow book was outstanding too, btw. But I suspect you know that first-hand.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:00 PM

Well, I did it.

Got tickets for the show on July 7th (!!!!), flying from LA to NYC on a redeye on the 4th and flying back on the 9th. My SIL who is also a huge fan is coming with - I'm paying for her ticket to the show, she's paying for half the flight/hotel.

I promised myself when I got sick that I wouldn't spend a lot of $$ on bucket list stuff, but I think just one won't hurt...
Old 12-31-2015, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Given your interest and all the huge respect it is getting, it sounds like a perfect choice!
Old 12-31-2015, 02:24 PM

I was prepared to be "meh" about it...but it is REALLY good.

Presidential Cabinet fights being done in the style of rap battles is particularly genius.

There's really interesting parallels to modern "rise to power" stories but it never beats you over the head with it. It's more small connections you can make in pop culture rather than "Hey, hey! This part is just like Scarface!" (that's just an example- I don't think there's any connections to Scarface)
Old 12-31-2015, 03:04 PM

I saw it with my wife a week ago, and it was fantastic. We both loved it. I happened to have read and enjoyed the Chernow biography a few years ago, and I also got into cleverly worded rap/hip hop pretty recently (Chino XL, e.g.).

Anyway, it's funny, well acted, and a great way to learn history, and to humanize our predecessors. The performances of "Thomas Jefferson" and "King George" were especially crowd-pleasing. My favorite line might have been when "Lafayette" agrees with "Hamilton" that immigrants get the job done. We also liked the reminder of how unusual it was (and still is, in muck of the world) for Washington to happily engage in the first transfer of presidential power.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:09 PM

Make that "...much of the world..." -- but "muck" works as well!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:08 AM

Add me to the list of one who can't stop listening to the album.

Also, I am half-way through the book (it's pretty cool how one complements the other, and quite an experience doing both together).

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but 'Hamilton' is coming to Chicago in late September.

I will be there.

mmm
Old 01-01-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahmoe View Post
This is a great selection of clips from the show.
Now gone due to copyright claim, alas.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Daily News reports today that the mobs of theater fans vying for the last-minute ticket lottery had grown so large it has become a safety hazard and the Richard Rodgers theatre has decided to take it to online-only until Spring to give themselves time to figure out how to handle it live.

Now, that is a hit, and Lin-Manuel owns Broadway right now.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 01-04-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:02 PM

I'm obsessed. I love it. I tried getting tickets, too- found flights and hotel in NYC that I could swing with some planning and then went to see how much tickets to the show were...

aaaand that plan went down the drains. Oh well. I can wait. In the meantime, there's always Ham4Ham.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:42 AM

My daughter is also obsessed. She's a sixteen year old History, Politics and Theatre geek - and this is what Harry Potter was when she was eleven.

(The White House clip is wonderful - that is a great audience for that song - nothing better than performing material that your audience appreciates)
Old 01-06-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrenderDorothy View Post
I'm obsessed. I love it. I tried getting tickets, too- found flights and hotel in NYC that I could swing with some planning and then went to see how much tickets to the show were...

aaaand that plan went down the drains. Oh well. I can wait. In the meantime, there's always Ham4Ham.
That's why I'm not going until July - that was the earliest time I could get tickets directly from the theatre rather than resale. If you're going solo, you might be able to get a ticket a bit earlier even. I think that if you buy from the theatre they start at about $145? (Personally I got the more expensive tickets, 12th row center - figured since I was already blowing major $ on the trip, it was a better return on investment to get good seats and have 'em right up in my face than to have to use opera glasses - but YMMV.)

The point is, you can get good seats (fairly) cheaply - you'll just have to wait for it (wait for it wait for it...)
Old 01-06-2016, 11:53 AM

--So you can be in The Room Where it Happens
Old 01-06-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
--So you can be in The Room Where it Happens
Fuckin' Burr, man.

BTW, does anyone else want Daveed Diggs to have their babies? Because that man is my new secret boyfriend. DAAAAAAMN.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Daily News reports today that the mobs of theater fans vying for the last-minute ticket lottery had grown so large it has become a safety hazard and the Richard Rodgers theatre has decided to take it to online-only until Spring
...aaand they promptly crashed the site like the first days of Obamacare. Maybe even more people

Last edited by JRDelirious; 01-06-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:56 PM

I was just wondering... has anyone seen any reactions to Hamilton from Bill O'Reilly or his ilk? On the one hand, it's a celebration of the founding fathers. On the other hand, he wouldn't stereotypically find the color-blind casting and general hip-hop-ness appealing.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:20 PM

Well, the reviewer from The American Conservative liked it...

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...akes-broadway/

Last edited by Maggie the Ocelot; 01-07-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The point is, you can get good seats (fairly) cheaply - you'll just have to wait for it (wait for it wait for it...)
And if you are NOT throwing away your SHOT.