Old 01-17-2017, 05:40 PM

The London prices top out at 200 pounds, and they have some strict new measures to prevent reselling tickets. You don't get a paper ticket until you're there for that performance and have to swipe the credit card used to buy the ticket(s) in order to get it/them as well as show a printout of the confirmation email.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:40 PM

My uncle and his roommate went to see it, and really enjoyed it. They lucked out. Some friends they knew had extra tickets.

I saw a special on ETV about it not too long ago, talking about it, its creation, interviews with the cast, etc. It had clips from the show, too. It looked like a really good show that I would love to go see if it comes close to me.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:39 AM
SDSAB

Any rare commodity can lead to scams: http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/27/news...eme/index.html
Old 03-21-2017, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

I'm in Chicago on business this week, and after listening to the soundtrack pretty much daily for six months on a whim I dropped by the theater about 40 minutes before curtain. The sidewalk was packed with ticketholders waiting to get in. I didn't even see the box office windows, but suddenly the crowd surged forward so I went into the lobby and saw the little box office off to the side. I only saw two windows, "Will Call" and "Will Call" both with short lines. Then, off to the left, was a smaller, lower window with no one standing there but a man sitting behind the window.

"Hey," I said, "I don't suppose you have any single seats available? Heh heh?" He said, "I might!" Sure enough, there was ONE ticket left, and I snatched it up. (Window guy: "Now you should go by a lottery ticket.") Terrible seat - back row on the ground level, right next to the sound/lights guy, on a regular chair (not theater seat) with another guy on an equally high chair right in front of me. The top part of the set was hidden behind the overhanging balcony above me.

It was glorious! And, I didn't even realize until I sat down and looked at the Playbill that Aaron Burr was being played by Wayne Brady. He was good! It reminded me of the time I saw Chicago on Broadway and Billy Flynn was played by Joey Lawrence.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:25 PM
SDSAB

Perhaps your baby (of any age) might like a Hamilton-inspired lullaby?: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0e6ac7093da1e
Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 AM

We're going July 1 in NYC. I've had the tickets since Thanksgiving and haven't told anyone except my wife. Our son wouldn't be able to stand waiting so long if he knew that we were going so we're not telling him until his birthday, six days before.

The tickets (orchestra left row V, which are decent enough seats) were "only" twice face value.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Extrajudicial

I watched it last night It was awesome. I had heard all the music prior to watching it and it was still great. I doubt I'd pay that much again, but it was worth it as an experience. I splurged and bought a T-shirt, and a cup with lid (sippy cup) that could be brought into the theater, and filled it with a nice adult beverage. A fun night was had by all.

One thing I tend to really like is stage design/props, and just how effectively the production can convey the action. There was less of that here than in other shows I've seen, but the dance choreography as well as the double rotating stage did a solid job. In my show some of the performers played multiple roles which I thought would be confusing, but it worked pretty well. Lafayette/Jefferson was the same person. Hercules Mulligan/Madison was the same person too. There were a couple others but they all worked well.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
In my show some of the performers played multiple roles which I thought would be confusing, but it worked pretty well. Lafayette/Jefferson was the same person. Hercules Mulligan/Madison was the same person too. There were a couple others but they all worked well.
I'm pretty sure that's been true in all the showings. Lafayette, Mulligan, Laurens, and Peggy Schuyler only appear in the first act, and those actors play Jefferson, Madison, Philip Hamilton, and Maria Reynolds, respectively, in the second act.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:42 PM

Bone - what city are you in?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:50 PM

We're going in LA in October. Got the presale tickets from American Express. Great seats. I've come a long way from post 2 in this thread.

I haven't heard any of the music except a few clips on the news, etc. Do people recommend getting to know the play via the soundtrack first or going in cold?
Old 05-01-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Perhaps your baby (of any age) might like a Hamilton-inspired lullaby?: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0e6ac7093da1e
That is a riot. I can't say why, it just is.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim314 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's been true in all the showings. Lafayette, Mulligan, Laurens, and Peggy Schuyler only appear in the first act, and those actors play Jefferson, Madison, Philip Hamilton, and Maria Reynolds, respectively, in the second act.
Learned that after you posted it Neat, I didn't even pick up that Peggy was the same as Maria Reynolds. The guy who played Lafayette and Jefferson was pretty awesome, didn't realize Jefferson was so sassy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Bone - what city are you in?
I saw the show in San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I haven't heard any of the music except a few clips on the news, etc. Do people recommend getting to know the play via the soundtrack first or going in cold?
I made a point to listen to the whole thing a few times before going in. My wife heard a total of maybe 5 minutes so went in almost completely unsullied. I can't tell which would be better. I think if you go in cold, you will definitely miss some of the lyrics because it happens so fast and there is a ton of info dropped. One thing about listening before watching is that I couldn't always tell who was speaking so some of the songs made a whole lot more sense in context when I knew who was speaking. Keep in mind she doesn't like rap or hip hop music hardly at all and she thought the show was great.

I know I wanted to appreciate the performances and I thought I would be able to do that more without having to hyperfocus on the lyrics. I still heard things I missed at the live show.

I want to see it again, but I think the chances of that are pretty low.

Last edited by Bone; 05-01-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
We're going in LA in October. Got the presale tickets from American Express. Great seats. I've come a long way from post 2 in this thread.

I'd recommend listening to the soundtrack because:

1) It'll get you familiar with the songs and plot. One of the complaints that people had when the show first opened, especially people without much familiarity with rap and the way the words can be spit out so quickly, was that they had trouble following the plot especially in the beginning. Rather like watching Trainspotting - until you get used to everyone's accents you're going "What did they say? What's that? Who is it?". Having heard it at least a few times will help with that.

2) It's damn good and having listened to it beforehand will mean you have listened to it more times!
Old 05-01-2017, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The guy who played Lafayette and Jefferson was pretty awesome, didn't realize Jefferson was so sassy.
Yeah, if you can find someone with the talent to play a character described as "Lancelot meets Ludacris", you don't throw away your shot at using him in the second act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton broadway casting notice
- LAFAYETTE is an earnest, idealistic Frenchman who reveals himself to be a superb military commander/rapper. Think Lancelot meets Ludacris.
- JEFFERSON is relaxed, jazzy, brilliant, whose effortless cool is ruffled ONLY by Hamilton. Harold Hill meets Drake.
source (includes many other delightful descriptions)
Old 05-02-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Learned that after you posted it Neat, I didn't even pick up that Peggy was the same as Maria Reynolds. The guy who played Lafayette and Jefferson was pretty awesome, didn't realize Jefferson was so sassy.
And now you can appreciate the genius of the opening song and how it works with the dual casting!

LaFayette/Jefferson & Mulligan/Madison: We fought with him
Laurens/Philip: Me? I died for him
Washington: Me? I trusted him
Eliza & Angelica & Peggy/Maria: Me? I loved him
Burr: And me? Iím the damn fool that shot him

For the dual cast roles, there's also a dual meaning in what they say about Hamilton.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:06 AM
SDSAB

The guy who plays Burr spoofs the old "Got Milk?" ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-KoAi3Nl9Q
Old 06-21-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
We're going July 1 in NYC. I've had the tickets since Thanksgiving and haven't told anyone except my wife. Our son wouldn't be able to stand waiting so long if he knew that we were going so we're not telling him until his birthday, six days before.
On Saturday my wife wanted to watch the PBS special about Hamilton. I told the kids that we were watching it, thinking that they would want to see it. Our son said, "I don't like that music anymore". When asked if she still likes it our daughter said, "I don't mind it". Our kids are not fun a lot of the time (both suffer from depression) but we didn't expect that they would be completely done with something that they were so excited about for so long.

Since we were two weeks from seeing Hamilton on Broadway, this freaked us out a little. I played the soundtrack in the house on Saturday but nobody took much notice. On Sunday I played it in the car on a long trip. Our son was into it from the very first notes and listened to the entire soundtrack, singing along at times. Our daughter didn't sing (she won't sing in front of other people) but she was also engaged. Whew! We're feeling confident again that they'll be excited to see the show.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
On Saturday my wife wanted to watch the PBS special about Hamilton. I told the kids that we were watching it, thinking that they would want to see it. Our son said, "I don't like that music anymore". When asked if she still likes it our daughter said, "I don't mind it". Our kids are not fun a lot of the time (both suffer from depression) but we didn't expect that they would be completely done with something that they were so excited about for so long.

Since we were two weeks from seeing Hamilton on Broadway, this freaked us out a little. I played the soundtrack in the house on Saturday but nobody took much notice. On Sunday I played it in the car on a long trip. Our son was into it from the very first notes and listened to the entire soundtrack, singing along at times. Our daughter didn't sing (she won't sing in front of other people) but she was also engaged. Whew! We're feeling confident again that they'll be excited to see the show.
I'm sure they'll get caught up in the excitement of seeing live theatre, with real, breathing actors in front of them and a thousand people cheering them on. Have a good trip!
Old 06-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

We saw it Saturday in San Francisco. My wife wasn't that excited because all she knew was that it was mostly rap music, and she didn't like rap. But it turned out she loved it!
Old 06-21-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
We saw it Saturday in San Francisco. My wife wasn't that excited because all she knew was that it was mostly rap music, and she didn't like rap. But it turned out she loved it!
I'm still wondering where this conception that it's "mostly rap" is coming from. There are 46 songs in it - three are rap (the two cabinet rap battles and "Guns & Ships" - maybe 4 if you count young Philip's little ditty); and I'm not even sure "Guns & Ships" counts.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I'm still wondering where this conception that it's "mostly rap" is coming from. There are 46 songs in it - three are rap (the two cabinet rap battles and "Guns & Ships" - maybe 4 if you count young Philip's little ditty); and I'm not even sure "Guns & Ships" counts.
"Satisfied" has an epic rap by Angelica. And I think there's more sprinkled throughout. But, yeah, it's not mostly rap.

I'm slightly obsessed with this musical. Some songs that were cut.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Extrajudicial

I think it's easy for someone not familiar with the different genres to not distinguish between rap and hip hop.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWahDiddy View Post
I'm sure they'll get caught up in the excitement of seeing live theatre, with real, breathing actors in front of them and a thousand people cheering them on.
Indeed, they did. Right up to moments before it started our son was complaining about everything. But from the first notes of "Alexander Hamilton" he (and the rest of us) were thrilled. I don't know how Lin-Manuel Miranda dreamed this show up, but it's an incredible accomplishment.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:38 PM

Finally saw this in Chicago last night. I went in cold and was absolutely blown away. I didn't know it was going to be a straight musical all the way through. About halfway through the third song I thought to myself, "Are they ever going to just talk?"

I agree that going in without listening to anything first did make some of the story a little confusing, but I caught on soon enough. Only issue I had is that the actors that played Hamilton and John Laurens/Phillip looked very similar, especially from the mezzanine. Not an issue in the second act, but in the first act they had the same hair and dress most of the time:
https://images.bwwstatic.com/upload1...marcus2016.jpg
Old 09-01-2017, 04:09 PM

Okay, I spent the day listening to the soundtrack and I have question for anyone who managed to see it with the original cast. Was King George played for laughs? In the Chicago show he's pretty much the funniest part of the show with an over the top fake accent. In the soundtrack he sounds a bit more sincere.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Okay, I spent the day listening to the soundtrack and I have question for anyone who managed to see it with the original cast. Was King George played for laughs? In the Chicago show he's pretty much the funniest part of the show with an over the top fake accent. In the soundtrack he sounds a bit more sincere.
I've only seen the (recent) Chicago cast in person, but yes - George is played for laughs. I've seen some videos of the Broadway George, and that's the case there as well. I think they toned it down a bit for the soundtrack, but I'm not sure "Dat da da da, da da dah daey yi yi!" can ever be played straight!
Old 09-01-2017, 10:29 PM
SDSAB

Miranda has said that he asked British actor and musician Hugh Laurie what George III would say to the American people after 1776 if he could speak to them directly. Laurie laughed, wagged his finger and said, "You'll be back!" Miranda took it and ran with it.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:32 AM

Yes, King George always gets laughs. Usually starting before he opens his mouth, at his first appearance in the spotlight in a costume that must weigh 80 pounds.

<tangent>
The King is many people's favorite character, and certainly one of the most memorable. Meaning absolutely no disrespect to Jonathan Groff, I never thought his Tony nomination was deserved. The success of the character comes entirely from the costume, the staging, and the songs themselves. Performance is almost incidental; anyone in that part who can carry a tune is going to be entertaining and memorable. Yes, Groff was good, but not Tony-Award good.
</tangent>
Old 09-02-2017, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Indeed, they did. Right up to moments before it started our son was complaining about everything. But from the first notes of "Alexander Hamilton" he (and the rest of us) were thrilled. I don't know how Lin-Manuel Miranda dreamed this show up, but it's an incredible accomplishment.
He didn't exactly "dream it up." He brought historian/biographer Ron Chernow's book about Hamilton on vacation for some light beach reading, and was inspired by the tale of the immigrant Founding Father.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:13 AM

Through a combination of luck and luck, I got a ticket to the show while in NY this week. It was the first musical I've been to (lots of opera, no musicals), and I thought it was amazing. Oddly enough I was completely familiar with the first half of the score, but not the back half - the consequence of my daughter playing it from the start during car trips, but us never having that long a drive. It made for an interesting experience, but didn't change the fact that I loved it from end to end.

Now I want to go again....
Old 10-13-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
He didn't exactly "dream it up." He brought historian/biographer Ron Chernow's book about Hamilton on vacation for some light beach reading, and was inspired by the tale of the immigrant Founding Father.
It's hysterical that he not only saw it as a hiphop tale, but he researched to see if someone else had already done the same thing.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:02 AM
SDSAB

Bumped.

Leslie Odom Jr., who played Burr, will appear on PBS's Live from Lincoln Center on April 27. Check local listings: http://www.playbill.com/article/lesl...oadcast-on-pbs
Old 03-27-2018, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

For the few people who haven't already heard it - the Hamilton Polka
Old 03-27-2018, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Jimmy Fallon's wife took a video of his reaction the first time he heard it.

So did Lin Manuel Miranda's wife.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:00 PM
SDSAB

Chris Jackson, who originated the role of George Washington in the first production of Hamilton, hosts an interactive "Be Washington" project for historic Mount Vernon: https://www.mountvernon.org/plan-you...-turn-to-lead/
Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

I was just notified that I've been selected as a Ticketmaster Verified Fan and can purchase 4 tickets for the Boston show at face value tomorrow morning. Pretty psyched for the chance to see this in the fall!
Old 06-19-2018, 07:56 AM

Damn - that's awesome, Telemark! What is the "Verified Fan" thing? I know that it was a really big deal in order to get tickets to the Springsteen Broadway show.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
I was just notified that I've been selected as a Ticketmaster Verified Fan and can purchase 4 tickets for the Boston show at face value tomorrow morning. Pretty psyched for the chance to see this in the fall!
Sell! Sell! SELL!

That's cool that you won't get squeezed out by the resellers. I had to buy my secondary although, amusingly (to me anyway) the broker service was having a 12% off sale so it wasn't that far off face value+fees by the time I was done. Of course, it also helped that the show was very enjoyable.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:16 AM
SDSAB

I'll be seeing the show with some friends in Chicago late next month.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Damn - that's awesome, Telemark! What is the "Verified Fan" thing? I know that it was a really big deal in order to get tickets to the Springsteen Broadway show.
I signed up for the Broadway in Boston site and got notifications about upcoming sales. I missed out on their early lottery. You needed to buy a subscription to get Hamilton tickets. Then they had a lottery to buy tickets. Then they gave you an opportunity to register for the Ticketmaster program. It was specifically for the Hamilton tickets, but I suspect I'll get the opportunity for future deals.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:36 PM

I bought tickets for Boston too. I was in the eClub lottery a week or two before the Verified Fan lottery. (so many lotteries) so that put me behind the subscriptions, but I was able to buy 2 tickets as well at face value. Also, the eClub lottery was limited to a max of 2 tickets. I like that they are trying to make it easier for regular fans to get tickets without having to fight scalpers buying all the inventory. My guess is they looked at my purchase history and decided "yup, not a bot" and offered me into the lottery. I think it is fantastic.

Also it is probably much better for the servers.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

I did buy 4 tickets, haven't told anyone else (besides my wife) about the show yet. We'll invite another couple as we get closer.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Does the musical address Hamilton's economic policies?

The show's most ardent fans seem to be on the left side of the political spectrum.

Yet Hamilton was an enthusiastic capitalist, who loved big business and big banks.

He was also rather hawkish during the Quasi-War with France.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post

The show's most ardent fans seem to be on the left side of the political spectrum.
It talks about Hamilton's establishment and promotion of a federal bank. It doesn't really present any of that in modern Left/Right terms. If there's a Left-leaning tilt to the fan base, I'd assume that's more because of the multicultural casting, modern musical styles and the show being performed in urban centers than because of any ideological message from the show.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
It talks about Hamilton's establishment and promotion of a federal bank. It doesn't really present any of that in modern Left/Right terms. If there's a Left-leaning tilt to the fan base, I'd assume that's more because of the multicultural casting, modern musical styles and the show being performed in urban centers than because of any ideological message from the show.
This. The political landscape was wildly different at the time - it wasn't so much liberal/conservative as federal/state supremacy. Even then, it was a much less polarized landscape than today - compromise was considered a good thing, for the most part, especially if you stripped away the invective hurled in the newspapers.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:07 PM
SDSAB

Hamilton was also strongly against slavery, which stands him in good stead with modern audiences.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
This. The political landscape was wildly different at the time - it wasn't so much liberal/conservative as federal/state supremacy. Even then, it was a much less polarized landscape than today - compromise was considered a good thing, for the most part, especially if you stripped away the invective hurled in the newspapers.
Not according to the book the musical is based on. Politics was personal then.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:51 PM
SDSAB

Saw the show on Friday in Chicago with some friends. We had nosebleed seats but could see and hear everything very well. Everyone had a blast - my favorite song remains "You'll Be Back," which King George III sang with an occasional emphasis on "die!" in the refrain. Very glad I finally had the chance to see it!
Old 07-24-2018, 04:52 AM

Jophiel:

Quote:
If there's a Left-leaning tilt to the fan base, I'd assume that's more because of the multicultural casting, modern musical styles and the show being performed in urban centers than because of any ideological message from the show.
Or because the cast publicly calls out right-wing politicians known to be in the audience?
Old 07-24-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post

Yet Hamilton was an enthusiastic capitalist, who loved big business and big banks.

He was also rather hawkish during the Quasi-War with France.
Cabinet Battle #1 (with lyrics to follow along)