Old 07-24-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Or because the cast publicly calls out right-wing politicians known to be in the audience?
I think the audience was established before that point. But, sure, even if you want to say that's the cause for any left-leaning tilt to the audience, the point still remains that the musical itself doesn't make any ideological partisan statements.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:54 AM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I think the audience was established before that point. But, sure, even if you want to say that's the cause for any left-leaning tilt to the audience, the point still remains that the musical itself doesn't make any ideological partisan statements.
Letís show these Federalists who theyíre up against!
Southern motherfuckin' Democratic-Republicans!

But yeah, not any MODERN partisan statements.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:01 PM

A film version may be released in 2020 - not an adaptation, but a straight-ahead recording made a couple of years ago of the original cast performing the show, which studios are currently bidding for the distribution rights to - link.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:21 PM

Hamilton will be receiving a Kennedy Honor, the first one given to a work instead of to a person.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:25 PM

I hope that the Hamilton film release is a success and that more popular musicals end up releasing recordings of the stage performance on film. I also hope that they make more film adaptations.

I love musicals. I have season tickets to the five-ish traveling ones that come through my town every year. I haul myself down to LA or up to SF to see the several-months-long engagements there when I'm able. I buy the soundtracks and listen to them. I'd love to see Hamilton, and a dozen other shows. But I can't. I can't just go to New York on a whim, or pay $500 or wait outside hoping to get lucky with the lottery.

Release them as movies, please!

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 08-22-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
I hope that the Hamilton film release is a success and that more popular musicals end up releasing recordings of the stage performance on film.
This doesn't always work, for some reason. You would think that stage recordings of Cats and a production of Oklahoma! starring Hugh Jackman would have sold better than they did. Then again, a "proper movie adaptation" of The Phantom of the Opera wasn't a blockbuster either.

(Side note: the 2002 Broadway production of Oklahoma! was supposed to have the West End cast, Jackman included, perform for the first month or so, but, for various reasons, including the fact that only the cast on opening night is eligible for Tonys for those roles, only two of them got to perform, one of whom was from the USA.)
Old 08-22-2018, 02:28 PM

I think a lot of people are going just because it's the in thing to do. Like the 85 year old woman I know who wants to see it suddenly is a hip hop fan. My guess is she has no idea what hip hop is or maybe knows a slight amount about it.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Well, that sounds like success at one of the primary goals of a Broadway show, which is to be the in thing that everyone wants to see, drawing in even those who would normally not be interested.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Well, that sounds like success at one of the primary goals of a Broadway show, which is to be the in thing that everyone wants to see, drawing in even those who would normally not be interested.
Indeed. Like me. See post #2 of this very thread.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
This doesn't always work, for some reason. You would think that stage recordings of Cats and a production of Oklahoma! starring Hugh Jackman would have sold better than they did. Then again, a "proper movie adaptation" of The Phantom of the Opera wasn't a blockbuster either.
Yeah, I don't think most are going to break any box office records. But on the other hand, the production costs are so low that they should still be moneymakers.

Presumably they mostly don't do it because they're worried that people will see the movie of the show and then not see the show? Not necessarily great business sense to sell a $10 movie ticket or a $4 rental instead of a $200 theater ticket.

In that case maybe it makes sense to only do it for crazy blockbusters like Hamilton. It's like not blacking out local broadcasts when the game sells out. It's not possible for a Hamilton recording to reduce ticket sales for Hamilton because with every show sold out and tickets going for 2-4x normal prices, they're already selling the maximum number of seats to Hamilton they can.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:16 AM

I just now saw/noticed this thread!

I have tickets for a performance next month at the Kennedy Center. I'm a Kennedy Center member so I was in on the pre-sale, but even with that the tickets wound up costing over $600. Each. (No resellers involved; that's direct from the Kennedy Center.) My friend and I definitely weren't hoping to pay that much, but when the time came and the Very Expensive Seats were the only ones left, we decided to go for it. Anyway, it's been a done deal since late February; now we're finally only weeks away!

Like others, I definitely remember not being interested in Hamilton at all when I first heard about it. History? Told via rap and hip-hop? No thanks. Even when it started to become popular, I was fine with the idea of never seeing it. But then I watched Hamilton's America on PBS a couple years ago, and heard bits of some of the songs...and I was hooked.

I purchased/downloaded the cast recording a while ago, but I only really listen to music in the car and I haven't had much chance to become familiar with it (I'm blessed with a very short commute to work). I might make an effort to listen all the way through at least once before the show, but I won't be pressed if I'm not able to.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:24 PM
SDSAB

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Misnomer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Making many more people aware of, and appreciative of, different styles of music is a good thing, too.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think most are going to break any box office records. But on the other hand, the production costs are so low that they should still be moneymakers.

Presumably they mostly don't do it because they're worried that people will see the movie of the show and then not see the show? Not necessarily great business sense to sell a $10 movie ticket or a $4 rental instead of a $200 theater ticket.

In that case maybe it makes sense to only do it for crazy blockbusters like Hamilton. It's like not blacking out local broadcasts when the game sells out. It's not possible for a Hamilton recording to reduce ticket sales for Hamilton because with every show sold out and tickets going for 2-4x normal prices, they're already selling the maximum number of seats to Hamilton they can.
a lot of people will pay $10 who won't pay $200. Also there are a lot of people who don't live close to a place to see even the touring version.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
a lot of people will pay $10 who won't pay $200. Also there are a lot of people who don't live close to a place to see even the touring version.
Yeah, it seems clear to me.

I have a hard time coming up with a person who would spend $200 (or $600) on the stage show and are located where they could do so, but wouldn't if they could just spend $10 to see a recording. $200-600 is a lot of money for a few hours of entertainment. You're probably not paying that unless you legitimately enjoy live theater or are very price-insensitive.

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 08-23-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I have a hard time coming up with a person who would spend $200 (or $600) on the stage show and are located where they could do so, but wouldn't if they could just spend $10 to see a recording.
*waves at iamthewalrus(:3=*

Hell, I could see the recording for free and still pay that much for the stage show.

Quote:
$200-600 is a lot of money for a few hours of entertainment. You're probably not paying that unless you legitimately enjoy live theater or are very price-insensitive.
Well, yeah. There is absolutely no substitute for a live, in-person show. And of course ticket prices that high require a certain amount of disposable income. I'm not sure why you have such a hard time imagining that people like me exist, though.

We are legion!
Old 08-24-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
I'm not sure why you have such a hard time imagining that people like me exist, though.
I think you misread my comment.

I have a hard time imagining someone willing to pay $lots for a live show who wouldn't be willing to do so when the cheap recording option was available.

Of course I have no problem imagining people like you. I am a person like you!

There are dozens of us!

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 08-24-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I think you misread my comment.
Ahhh, so I did! Multiple times, at that. Sorry!

Donít mind me...
Old 09-13-2018, 12:37 PM

I finally saw the show on Tuesday night (9/11). Wow.

I mean, WOW.

I'm stingy with my standing ovations*, and I never bow to peer pressure when it comes to them, but when the final note faded I was one of the first people to stand. I wish there'd been some greater way to show my appreciation...like, a flying ovation or something.

I don't remember the last time I got to the end of a show I'd never seen before and was immediately ready to see it again. In fact, I went so far as to go to the Kennedy Center's website to see what tickets were available for this weekend's shows (the run ends on Sunday). There were, like, 7 tickets left for Saturday's matinee and 4 tickets left for Sunday's: if any of them had been even in the $300 range I might have bought one, but everything was $600+ (which is what I'd already paid). (I'll admit, though, that for just a split second I thought about getting one anyway!)

Now, some of this is not surprising. I am a huge musical and live theater fan, and over the past year I've come to believe that Lin-Manuel Miranda is a damn genius. Plus, there's this thread. So, I had high expectations...but I wasn't prepared for them to be so thorougly exceeded.

*Standing ovations seem to have become the default: I don't remember the last time I went to a performance that didn't get one. It annoys the living crap out of me, but that's a topic for a different thread.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:20 PM
SDSAB

The Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia is climbing on the Hamilton train: https://www.amrevmuseum.org/exhibits...ilton-was-here
Old 09-25-2018, 11:27 PM

Just gonna throw this out there: Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote a show before Hamilton, called In the Heights. If you happen to be in the Orlando area, I'm currently playing in the band for a professional production of it, and we have two weeks left of the run. It's basically like Hamilton (rap/hip-hop music) except set over Latin music, to represent the Washington Heights neighborhood of New York City. Come check it out!
Old 10-10-2018, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I finally saw the show on Tuesday night (9/11). Wow.

I mean, WOW.
Ditto, except I saw it this evening. Amazing show.

Last edited by Telemark; 10-10-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:27 AM
SDSAB

Spamilton, anyone...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spamilton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig5q6EhK0LU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCm4sB1DEDc
Old 11-06-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I don't remember the last time I got to the end of a show I'd never seen before and was immediately ready to see it again. In fact, I went so far as to go to the Kennedy Center's website to see what tickets were available for this weekend's shows (the run ends on Sunday). There were, like, 7 tickets left for Saturday's matinee and 4 tickets left for Sunday's: if any of them had been even in the $300 range I might have bought one, but everything was $600+ (which is what I'd already paid). (I'll admit, though, that for just a split second I thought about getting one anyway!)
I recently made plans to go to NYC in late January to catch a Wednesday night show at Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola: I'll be staying in town through the weekend (I have family there), and am thinking about catching a Broadway show on Thursday night. I've actually never seen a show on Broadway, which is kind of amazing given my love of theater -- both plays and musicals. Even more amazing, though, is that I find myself seriously considering going to see Hamilton again! I can get a "mid premium" seat for less than I paid in September, but more than I should probably spend. Part of me feels like I should take the opportunity to see something new (to me), but part of me also feels like it could be so great to see it on Broadway. This could be it...I might have finally lost it!
Old 12-04-2018, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Merry Christmas! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7sm49fHlyI Best. Christmas. Parody. Ever.

Last edited by Telemark; 12-04-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Merry Christmas! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7sm49fHlyI Best. Christmas. Parody. Ever.
OMG this is a huge win for doing more than "Alexander Hamilton" and going into the show's waaay less frequently parodied (and yet IMHO the most awesome) number. Thank you!!
Old 12-04-2018, 06:10 PM

That. Was. Awesome.

(Oh yeah, I decided to go ahead and get the Hamilton ticket for NYC next month... )
Old 12-23-2018, 04:04 PM
SDSAB

Obama featured in a LMM Hamilton remix of Washington's farewell:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/21/enter...mix/index.html
https://genius.com/Lin-manuel-mirand...st-time-lyrics
Old 12-24-2018, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That wasgreat! And my 2 1/2 year old grandson insisted on listening to it also.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:22 PM
SDSAB

For fans of both Hamilton and Star Trek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O4EKucKv7w
Old 01-21-2019, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

I’m a FAN of Star Trek, not that stupid thing that has Amanda Grayson die instead of accompanying Sarek to the Babel Conference.

Tell them to make it again, and this time, use the REAL Spock and Kirk and Scotty, and Checkhov, and Uhura.

And Sarek.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 01-21-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

https://www.vulture.com/2019/01/lin-...rom-crowd.html

Real time lyric updates during an intense rap to call out an audience member filming the show. Yowza!
Old 01-22-2019, 02:22 PM

I'll be seeing Hamilton in NYC on Thursday night: second time, but my first Broadway show. Can. Not. Wait.

Quote:
Real time lyric updates during an intense rap to call out an audience member filming the show. Yowza!
Wow! That took some serious brainpower on Miranda's part...not that we didn't already know he had the goods.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:40 AM
SDSAB

Some historians aren't fans of the show: https://komonews.com/news/entertainm...ate-their-duel
Old 02-05-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Some historians aren't fans of the show: https://komonews.com/news/entertainm...ate-their-duel
What a bunch of morons.

My favorite is this:
Quote:
Dr. Lyra D. Monteiro's criticism jumps from the page to the stage when she notes that three minority actors play white, slave-owning current or future presidents ó obscuring "the white supremacist origins of our country."
How dare Miranda bamboozle me into thinking that Thomas Jefferson was black! Next she'll be telling us that the Founding Fathers didn't rap.
I've just started Chernow's book, and it is made very clear that Hamilton's mother (and about every white person on the island) owned slaves. And that Hamilton as a kid was involved in the slave trade.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
And that Hamilton as a kid was involved in the slave trade.
It's mentioned in the very first song.

Although it isn't touched on much throughout the rest of the play. And Hamilton is aligned with John Laurens in the first act who is mostly talking about abolishing slavery. I wasn't really expecting the play to be precisely historically accurate, but I can see possible room to include some additional lines if it is ever revised. I like the idea of the companion exhibit to flesh out the complex lives of the founding fathers.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's mentioned in the very first song.

Although it isn't touched on much throughout the rest of the play. And Hamilton is aligned with John Laurens in the first act who is mostly talking about abolishing slavery. I wasn't really expecting the play to be precisely historically accurate, but I can see possible room to include some additional lines if it is ever revised. I like the idea of the companion exhibit to flesh out the complex lives of the founding fathers.
The criticism - and I read an article about the play in the Times a while ago - seems to be around them objecting to Miranda not condemning Hamilton for not having opinions from the next century, and perhaps for compromising.
There are plenty of inaccuracies for the sake of drama. My favorite that the musical makes Angelica selflessly give up Hamilton for Eliza. Actually she was already married. In the musical she gets married later.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:00 AM
SDSAB

Somebody's parents must've liked the guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Hamilton
Old 02-25-2019, 11:21 AM

We saw the touring production here in Columbus a few weeks ago. I have never read the book nor had I ever heard a song from the broadway production before seeing Hamilton in person - I knew the hype and my wife had seeing Hamilton on her bucket list so I got tickets (Orchestra, Left Center, 3rd Row. It only cost a mortgage payment and my youngest child) I was completely and totally blown away. I am not a regular patron of musicals and Broadway-type shows. Hamilton is beyond any doubt in my mind the greatest performance of any type that I have ever seen in my life. I have attended the ballet at the Bolshoi Theater in Moscow twice, once with Putin in attendance. I have seen a handful of theatrical performances over the years including Wicked, Phantom, The Nutcracker, The Producers, etc. I have seen some of the legendary musical performances/tours of bands/artists. Nothing, and I mean nothing I have seen in the category of performance arts prior to Hamilton compared. My wife jokes that I'm now a Hamilton Fan Boy and she is right. I can't get the music out of my head and I regularly find myself replaying in my memory some of the scenes (the use of the concentric rotating circular sections of the stage was genius!). I purchased the soundtrack and I play it all the time around the house. I sincerely hope the rumors of a DVD of the theater performance does come to market as I'd buy it immediately.

RISE UP!!!

MeanJoe

Last edited by MeanJoe; 02-25-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
How dare Miranda bamboozle me into thinking that Thomas Jefferson was black!
Okay, to be honest, nowadays when someone mentions Aaron Burr, even not in the context of the musical, I'm picturing this and not this.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
We saw the touring production here in Columbus a few weeks ago. I have never read the book nor had I ever heard a song from the broadway production before seeing Hamilton in person - I knew the hype and my wife had seeing Hamilton on her bucket list so I got tickets (Orchestra, Left Center, 3rd Row. It only cost a mortgage payment and my youngest child) I was completely and totally blown away. I am not a regular patron of musicals and Broadway-type shows. Hamilton is beyond any doubt in my mind the greatest performance of any type that I have ever seen in my life. I have attended the ballet at the Bolshoi Theater in Moscow twice, once with Putin in attendance. I have seen a handful of theatrical performances over the years including Wicked, Phantom, The Nutcracker, The Producers, etc. I have seen some of the legendary musical performances/tours of bands/artists. Nothing, and I mean nothing I have seen in the category of performance arts prior to Hamilton compared. My wife jokes that I'm now a Hamilton Fan Boy and she is right. I can't get the music out of my head and I regularly find myself replaying in my memory some of the scenes (the use of the concentric rotating circular sections of the stage was genius!). I purchased the soundtrack and I play it all the time around the house. I sincerely hope the rumors of a DVD of the theater performance does come to market as I'd buy it immediately.

RISE UP!!!

MeanJoe
Something tells me youíre ready for this polka.

(Itís been posted earlier in the thread, but this way is easier than making you go look for it.)
Old 02-25-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post

(Itís been posted earlier in the thread, but this way is easier than making you go look for it.)
Can anyone ever truly be ready for this? LOL - Thanks!
Old 02-25-2019, 02:56 PM
SDSAB

'Tis genius! Thanks, kaylasdad.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post

I saw Hamilton last night, and I'm glad I didn't listen to the polka before I did, or else I would have had Weird Al in my head the whole time.

As good as I expected, by the way. In the top 4 of the many, many musicals I've seen stretching back from the original Man of La Mancha.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:01 PM
SDSAB

Just listened to it again. Love it! I think the bullet-ricochet noises are my favorite bit.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:37 AM
SDSAB

Miranda's performance at the White House of an early version of a song from the musical, and the Obamas' later contact with him, are mentioned in Michelle Obama's new memoir, Becoming. There's no index in the book, but you might want to take a look at pp. 358 and 415 in the first edition. Good stuff.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:02 AM

After years of waiting I finally saw Hamilton last night.

Several times during the perfromance I caught myself involuntarily shaking my head and verbalizing "wow".

I've never been so entertained in my life.

mmm
Old 04-23-2019, 12:32 PM

My wife and I saw it last Thursday, on Broadway.
We thought it was fantastic, even though it was absurdly expensive.
Now we need to get the soundtrack...
Old 04-24-2019, 06:24 PM

I was going to bump, but looks like I don't need to.

My daughter Anya turns 14 today. She has been a gigantic fan of Hamilton since it came out. Posters, books, hoodies, soundtrack memorized, etc. It sparked her interest in musical theater.

Tonight, she is opening her gift: clandestinely-bought tickets to Hamilton. So, if you hear a giant scream around 7pm Hawaii time, do not be alarmed.

We'll be seeing it in London during our summer vacation.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
My wife and I saw it last Thursday, on Broadway.
We thought it was fantastic, even though it was absurdly expensive.
Now we need to get the soundtrack...
Nitpick: You have to get the CAST RECORDING.

Movies have "soundtracks." Stage musicals have "cast recordings."

This is a big bug with me, and millions of other stage musical devotees.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post
We'll be seeing it in London during our summer vacation.
I saw Hamilton in London two weeks ago. I thought it was very good and very clever, although I wouldn't say it's one of my all-time favourites.

If you have any questions relating to the venue, feel free to post them.