Old 12-05-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
Back in college in mid 70 time frame one late night DJ played every night a rock and roll version of "In the hall of the mountain king" by greig.

I never heard that song since, wish i could find.
Maybe, it's this version by SRC In The Hall of the Mountain King/Bolero.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:00 PM

My youth was early/mid70s and those songs do bring back a lot of nostalgia. Not for anything specific, just for having been a kid in those years.

I am rediscovering a lot of the singles while exploring amazon digital music loading my newish iPod. A lot of them are on 70s collections and one-hit wonder compilations. Andrew Gold "Lonely Boy" was the latest, but also things like Wildfire, Welcome Back, Dream Weaver, Cool Change... those are the best!
Old 12-05-2015, 06:14 PM

SPOILER:
by Dwight Twilley.

Spoilered for flashes of nudity

Last edited by Superdude; 12-05-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:23 PM

davida+some numbers inquired about a rock version of Hall of the Mountain King. I'm pretty sure this isn't the one but I'm posting it anyway by some guy or group called Nero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Px1yEN0kQ

Their version is reminiscent of the Ventures. I'm pretty sure the one you're thinking of is a lot more like something that Nugent (on a good day) or the Frost or Frigid Pink might have done.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:29 PM

Of course, I find it immediately after posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jn764Wh7g

SRC, another old Detroit area band.

Never mind. I just noticed the earlier post.

Last edited by E-DUB; 12-05-2015 at 08:30 PM. Reason: My own stupidity
Old 12-05-2015, 08:41 PM

In the early 70's I heard a song a few times on late night local (Nashville) radio and fell in love with it. A few years ago, through the magic of Google and Youtube, I found it again. The song is a bit overly emotional, but I loved it then and still love the singer's voice today. The quality of the recording is crap, as near as I can tell it was never professionally recorded.

You Owe It To Me
Old 12-05-2015, 08:43 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Not obscure, but a while back I was listening to pandora and heard this no doubt song that I hadn't heard in a decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRpZJ9EgJho

Hearing songs on the radio that you haven't heard in years is one of the pleasures of age.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Mistress View Post
In the early 70's I heard a song a few times on late night local (Nashville) radio and fell in love with it. A few years ago, through the magic of Google and Youtube, I found it again. The song is a bit overly emotional, but I loved it then and still love the singer's voice today. The quality of the recording is crap, as near as I can tell it was never professionally recorded.

You Owe It To Me
When I hear "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" it takes me right back to the first time I heard it, as a little kid watching Hee-Haw at my Nana's house.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:46 PM

Heard this recently, recalled how much I liked it: Stumblin' In

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGaF4tKUl0o

and from farther back, Mr. Dieingly Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XZt7hocUoQ
Old 12-07-2015, 01:44 PM

Two from R.B. Greaves:

Number 1 and Number 2 <--(compare this with the re-make--you'll find it)

Hurricane Smith (Frasier sang this to Charlotte Ross on the show)

Dean Friedman (This may have been a regional hit, only; not sure)

Gilbert O'Sullivan (I always felt his career was based on sounding like Paul McCartney, even though the songs are good)

These may not be "obscure" enough, especially compared to some album cuts of the time.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Gilbert O'Sullivan (I always felt his career was based on sounding like Paul McCartney, even though the songs are good).
You're not the only one. In fact, to my seven-year-old-and-mostly-ignorant-of-contemporary-music ears, the singers of "Alone Again (Naturally)" and "My Love" were one and the same.

As for my recent rediscovery, I don't know if it's really accurate to call it a rediscovery (or obscure) in this case because even though this song hit the Top 5 in late 1972 and early 1973, I was completely oblivious of its existence at the time. It's "Why Can't We Live Together" by Timmy Thomas--a song which has gotten another lease on life thanks to it being heavily sampled by Drake's "Hotline Bling".

Last FM Library Thing
Old 12-10-2015, 12:53 AM

Just exhumed this Deep Track, also from my teenage years. I just liked the way it sounded and had no idea for a long time that it glorifies suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tFlCGZJ6qw
Old 12-10-2015, 05:01 PM

I was really young when these artists were at their peak, so I can remember their singles, but never heard their albums. Thanks to Amazon Prime, I've been able to listen to a lot of older albums and gotten some real appreciation for the depth of talent and musicianship some of these folks possessed, that I never really saw from their chart hits. Two in particular? Sam Cooke and Otis Redding. Amazing vocalists!
Old 01-08-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent Juicy View Post
I completely forgot about this song until just a few months ago. I think someone on this board mentioned it and that triggered the memory of a 45 I had when I was really little, most likely purchased at a "rummage sale".

I can't remember what movie or TV show it was - a recent one, I know that - but they played a Cure song in the soundtrack. They were my favourite band in high school and I hadn't heard that song in years.
It was used in the ill-fated American adaptation of "Life on Mars", the British fantasy series. In one scene, the heroes' childhood self is seen spastically dancing to it while his no-good dad (played by the guy who plays "Mayhem" in the Allstate insurance ads) laughs and applauds him while drinking.

Last edited by Arizona Mike; 01-08-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Gilbert O'Sullivan (I always felt his career was based on sounding like Paul McCartney, even though the songs are good)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
You're not the only one. In fact, to my seven-year-old-and-mostly-ignorant-of-contemporary-music ears, the singers of "Alone Again (Naturally)" and "My Love" were one and the same.
<snip>

This is more of a stretch: The group is Jigsaw but the singer is very close to Wings-era McCartney.

I've tried to remember this song for a month now--this morning I wake up and it's playing in my head.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Suspended

There was a parody of Stevie Wonder's "Just Enough For The City"-anybody know what it was called?
Old 01-10-2016, 11:03 PM

Don't know if this is what you're looking for:
Old 01-14-2016, 01:54 PM

Wow...Starcastle. I had that blue album with the castle on it.

Ozark Mountain Daredevils had a couple of minor hits back in my day but this is my favorite "deep track" of theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdr_K53QeGs
Old 01-15-2016, 03:06 PM

Just Buggin' by Whistle
Old 01-16-2016, 08:42 PM

In another thread here in Café Society, I was reminded of a song I only heard once before it was rumored to have been banned on local radio. All I know is I never heard it again. DOA by Bloodrock. 1971.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Minnie Riperton - Lovin' You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLMYcqBmiX8
Old 01-17-2016, 08:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
davida+some numbers inquired about a rock version of Hall of the Mountain King. I'm pretty sure this isn't the one but I'm posting it anyway by some guy or group called Nero.

Their version is reminiscent of the Ventures. I'm pretty sure the one you're thinking of is a lot more like something that Nugent (on a good day) or the Frost or Frigid Pink might have done.
Thank you E-DUB. It is SRC.

Must have look 15 times in you tube over the years but not find till I used the right search terms then I finally did. Knew it was the right version two beats in.

I'll check out the Nero version also.

davida
Old 01-17-2016, 11:49 AM

The Kingston Trio's "With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm" is pretty obscure, and dates from 1934(although I do not) You don't hear many Anne Boleyn songs, and more's the pity. That upstart opera notwithstanding.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:44 PM

I heard this on the radio the other day, hadn't heard it in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rL22BdGyQo
Old 01-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Crime Jazz

Okay, here you go: http://www.amazon.com/Crime-Jazz-Mus.../dp/B00000344Y

The CD is Crime Jazz: Music in the First Degree. Includes the theme songs from a bunch of 60's hard-boiled cop shows, like Peter Gunn and Legs Diamond.

Really wonderful stuff, and you might be surprised at how much of it you have heard. I remember hearing some of it from reruns my mom might have had on in the background.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:02 PM

I was born in 1960, and I remember hearing this song on the radio while on a long car ride with my parents up into the Catskills, I believe. I remember the whole family eventually laughing about it. When it came on the radio again, we were singing along. What brought it to mind was this PBS special hosted by John Sebastian of the Loving Spoonful about folk music, and this song was featured on it. It brought back really great memories. I wish I could find the live performance, but alas, I couldn't find it on Youtube. So this will have to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp88nUqP028
Old 01-19-2016, 09:58 AM

In the late 50's, there was a version of "Give Me A June Night" on the radio, sung by women with rather high voices. I remember that song, I can hear it in my head. It wasn't the Lennon sisters version, it was rather simple in arrangement. I'm beginning to think it may have been a regional recording....There was a girl group on the Arthur Godfrey show also around then, The Bell Sisters. they sang "Down In Bermuda", and I can still hear THAT in my head! Maybe they also sang "June Night"...

Last edited by salinqmind; 01-19-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:58 AM

Not an obscure song, but an obscure version of a song.

"Mountain Greenery" by We Five (best known for "You Were On My Mind")

It's an old show tune that has been covered by a broad spectrum of singers, but the We Five version is long out of press, and never got much (if any!) airplay. YouTube has many versions, but not that one.

Maybe I should do something about that …
Old 01-19-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post

It's been removed or something - "Not Available"
Old 01-20-2016, 09:20 PM

My #2 all time favorite is Classical Gas by Mason Williams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREi_Bb85Sk
The obscure part being I remember hearing ( or seeing ) it when it premiered on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour and the music was overlaid with a video montage of classical artwork, each lasting for only a second or less but timed to the music. My understanding is that the video no longer exists (somebody please prove me wrong). I have tracked down many re-runs of the TV show, but that one has never been among them.

Another favorite is Two Hangmen by Mason Proffit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC3yZdG_2Bc
Old 01-28-2016, 04:10 AM

I remember this from watching old Warner Brothers cartoons as a kid. It wasn't
until today that I learned this piece had a name. The part starting at 1:28 was
probably used most often.

Raymond Scott's "Powerhouse"

- X. L. Lent

Last edited by X. L. Lent; 01-28-2016 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Subscribe to thread
Old 01-28-2016, 08:07 AM

I heard Tom Rush's Panama Limited once or twice on FM radio. It left me with a hauntingly good impression, but without the name or enough of the lyrics to Google it.

Some decades later I chanced upon it, clicking semi-randomly at YouTube.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:14 AM

I was listening to Underground 80's on TuneIn Radio this morning and heard a very familiar song. It was "Move to Move" by Kon Kan (1989). Haven't heard that song since high school.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:16 PM

"Troglodyte" by the Jimmy Castor Bunch.
Hey, I was 10 years old.
When you're 10 years old you LOVE songs with lyrics like these:

"She was a big woman.
BIG woman.
Her name was Bertha.
Bertha Butt.
She was one
of the Butt sisters."
Old 06-18-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I'm listening to that now; can't recall ever having heard it before. It also reminds me a lot of R.E.M.'s "It's The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)", which was not studio trickery.

The death of Scott Weiland has led to a lot of discussion about Songs I Remember From My Youth, and as for the original post, in the meantime I Googled yet another Starcastle alumnus (drummer Stephen Tassler, in this case), and guess what kind of links I got THAT time? The whole first page was for a family practice physician in the Chicago suburbs, and yes, it's him.

In case you're wondering if they ever performed with Rush, the answer is yes. That must have been one of the more unusual backstage scenes in the history of rock & roll. They also did some shows with Boston, and I think there were some Boston/Rush/Starcastle triple bills, per their website.
Exhuming an old thread: Dr. Tassler got his medical degree at Rush University. You can't make this stuff up.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:09 PM

Zombie thread, but still:

I heart "Tweeter and the Monkey Man."

One day I tried playing Travelling Wilburys for my co-workers, and they were like, "What the heck is this?"
Old 06-18-2016, 01:21 PM

Just yesterday, Mad, Mad Me, by Wendy Waldman.

Last edited by koeeoaddi; 06-18-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
One day I tried playing Travelling Wilburys for my co-workers, and they were like, "What the heck is this?"
Roy Orbison's last project before his untimely and premature death, that's what!

Also Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, George Harrison, and Bob Dylan.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:33 PM

George Michael's untimely death made me think of this "Dr. Demento" favorite from the late 1980s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpQoYlTX9l8

I also found this song, which was a minor hit in the mid 1990s and is probably the only song with the phrase "consciousness begins to falter" in the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnWrG8F2UuU

Menswear was a British power pop band.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:38 PM

Recently stumbled on this lovely metal gem which I hadn't heard in over 30 years (and not for lack of searching, either):

Axehammer - Axehammer '84
Old 12-26-2016, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Ok, a shot in the dark but this has bugged me for decades:

Seems obscure to me because I am not able to identify the singer, only that it was a catchy tune from a video of the 60s-70s (before MTV) where the singer was all in an elegant and totally white suit and even white top hat(?) and the only lyrics I remember did go like:

"And here we go again!

Heo oh ho heo oh, ho heo heo oh.

Heo oh ho heo oh, ho heo heo oh.

Heo oh ho heo oh, ho heo heo oh."

Even back then when I was little (and only knew Spanish) I noticed that those were just nonsense words in the chorus, and it makes me think it was maybe coming from a children's TV show from the USA were only the song was showed in my old country back then. The peculiar thing is that while the musicians were not shown in the screen, the music was with a full orchestra and included an electric guitar, not a small band.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 12-26-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:27 AM

Cab Calloway, Minnie the Moocher, from the movie The Blues Brothers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5gCGJorKk
Old 12-27-2016, 11:28 AM

I hated this when it was first popular. I've changed my mind, since.

This was controversial (read: fun) in junior high school. (short version)
Old 12-28-2016, 10:48 AM

"How Do You Do?" by Mouth and MacNeal.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:46 PM

I'm trying real hard to NOT re-discover this one:
Old 12-30-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Maybe you'd rather re-discover Seasons in the Sun instead?
Old 12-30-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Q. View Post
Sadist!

How about "Chevy Van"? Huh? Re-discover THAT one, why don'tcha!
Old 12-30-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Q. View Post
Quote:
How about "Chevy Van"? Huh? Re-discover THAT one, why don'tcha!
Hey you two, get a room!
Old 01-02-2017, 11:43 PM

Hard to believe this song will be old enough to vote this year, as will the inhabitant of the baby bump featured towards the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1fzJ_AYajA

....so I missed a million miles of fun......

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 01-02-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:33 AM

I just discovered this a few weeks ago, so now I'm off to re-discover The Cowsills. Ta-ta!

SPOILER:
The title is actually, "The Rain, The Park and Other Things."