Old 03-27-2018, 09:34 AM

television shows that decided to add kids

What ones really get up your nose?

1, This is gender essentialism, but i don't care - Ricky on The Partridge Family had hair so long that you'd expect him to be offered dolls and dresses and perfume and flowers.

2. Dodie on My Three Sons - need i say more?
Old 03-27-2018, 09:37 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Cousin Oliver-TVTropes
Quote:
Cousin Oliver is that inexplicable kid added to the show's roster, usually in an attempt to liven up an aging cast with a character the younger demographics can (supposedly) relate to. However, such a character is likely to upset the dynamic of the show, especially since his only job is to be cute and innocently wisecracking. It's far too easy for the writers to miss "sweetly precocious" and tumble right into "overbearing and annoying", especially to the show's long-time fans (who don't see why this kid should be taking attention away from their favorite characters anyway). Depending on how deft the writers are at making him "lovable," Cousin Oliver can become a fan favorite or The Scrappy (or worse)
Old 03-27-2018, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Perfume View Post
What ones really get up your nose?
The ones where they have a baby one season, the next season the kid is four or five already!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:28 AM

I absolutely loved "Married with Children", but they laid an egg when they added the child called "Seven" to the show. He bombed so bad that they wrote him out of the show by having an episode where Al woke up and realized the whole thing had been just a dream.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:30 AM

My Three Sons is a great show! It's on either MeTV or Antenna TV - don't remember which early in the morning. I record it every day. I loved it when I was a kid and love it even more now. Ernie and Uncle Charlie have some great lines.

But back to added kids.........Dodie ruined the show. All added kids ruined the shows. Kind of like "jumping the shark". It's pretty much over when random kids get added.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:34 AM

Thank God M3S didn't last long enough for a Dodie's frst bra episode *shudders*
Old 03-27-2018, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

nvm

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-27-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:36 AM

I could easily live without Joe on Modern Family. I had praised how the show handled the pregnancy story arch, a thing that usually marks the end of my viewing. Now that he's old enough to interact I wish Gloria's sister would kidnap him.

Olivia on The Cosby Show was a blatant attempt to infuse cute and precocious but it had the opposite effect on me.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:54 AM

Stephanie on All in the Family. When you put a kid on a show that isn't a kid show, it never works.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
The ones where they have a baby one season, the next season the kid is four or five already!
In Duet, Laura gave birth in the season two finale. In season three, they fast-forwarded three years, so the baby was three (and the lives of all the characters had undergone changes). It didn't help much, but the show spun off a couple of characters into a new show, Open House

Still, props for thinking of the continuity.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Ricky on The Partridge Family had hair so long that you'd expect him to be offered dolls and dresses and perfume and flowers.
His gawdawful "singing" grated on me far more than his adorable appearance or sickeningly sweet precociousness. Yeccch!

What he was expected to bring to the show, I have no idea.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Family Ties pulled this one. Not that they didn't have other crimes under their belt (they were the king of clip shows ), but this one was so blatant. Baby one season, four-year-old the next. Blammo.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:49 PM

Worf's kid on Star Trek TNG was a whiny brat that didn't want to be warrior. Klingons are warriors! sheesh

Thankfully they shipped his butt off to Worf's parents on earth.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-27-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:52 PM

I wish they'd gone for a daughter in Family Ties. Cast Judith Barsi or Heidi Zeigler.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I absolutely loved "Married with Children", but they laid an egg when they added the child called "Seven" to the show. He bombed so bad that they wrote him out of the show by having an episode where Al woke up and realized the whole thing had been just a dream.
Peg's pregnancy was written off as a dream, but Seven just disappeared without a reason.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Seven just disappeared without a reason.
In later episodes, he would occasionally appear on a milk carton.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Family Ties pulled this one. Not that they didn't have other crimes under their belt (they were the king of clip shows ), but this one was so blatant. Baby one season, four-year-old the next. Blammo.
Thank Lucille Ball for that idea - Little Ricky is the one who started this trend. There's a reasonably good explanation for why shows do this; it's pretty much impossible to cast kids to be in their "terrible twos."

It also happened on, among other shows, Growing Pains and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (where Will did a double-take when he saw his nephew three years older than in the previous season). As for explaining it away with a time jump, Parks & Recreation did this with its last season, and New Girl is doing the same thing this season (so we don't have to sit through Cece's pregnancy - we just have to sit through Winston's new wife's pregnancy).

And back to the original thought, adding kids - Ralph Macchio pretty much got his start as the "added kid" on Eight is Enough to fill the "high school gap" after Tommy graduated and Nicholas was still in elementary school. Note that he wasn't even mentioned, much less appeared, in the two reunion movies. Also, Crystal Bernard was the "added kid" on Happy Days when Erin Moran went off to do Joanie Loves Chachi.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Peg's pregnancy was written off as a dream, but Seven just disappeared without a reason.
The most (only) interesting thing about Seven was that his parents were Bobcat Goldthwait and Linda Blair.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:11 PM

I don't understand the point of Howard & Bernadette's baby on The Big Bang Theory, you never see the kid anyway!
Old 03-27-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent Juicy View Post
I don't understand the point of Howard & Bernadette's baby on The Big Bang Theory, you never see the kid anyway!
And now there are two of them.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
There's a name for this trope: SORAS, which stands for Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome. So named, obviously enough, because it was a common practice on daytime soap operas which tended to feature characters becoming pregnant and having babies a lot more often than episodic prime time series. Of course nowadays most prime time shows have ongoing storylines, so they followed suit.

Having adult or even teen characters undergo a pregnancy can be an exciting plot development. But after the kid is born, saddling said character with a baby often limits what she can or can't do, and babies and little kids under about eight years old just can't be relied on to behave on set. So babies are shuffled off to the background, being taken care of by a sitter or grandparent, only to emerge as kids who are just old enough to behave on set and even semi-plausibly deliver lines.

Often times, babies get written into shows because the actress in question gets pregnant in real life, and its simply a lot easier to write the pregnancy in than to perpetually hide the actress. For example, in the third season of "Cheers", BOTH Rhea Pearlman and Shelley Long got pregnant at the same time. While it was plausible that Pearlman's character Carla would get "knocked up", it didn't seem likely that Long's character Diane would get pregnant (and also, having BOTH regular female characters become pregnant at the same time would lead to repetitive stories.) So in-universe, Carla became pregnant and the show just carried on, but the producers had to constantly have Diane behind the bar (to hide her belly) or seated at a desk. It was apparently an enormous difficult to keep hiding Long baby belly hidden from view.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
And now there are two of them.
They're taking after their grandmother. Heard but not seen.

[Foghorn Leghorn]
I say thatís a joke son
[/Foghorn Leghorn]
Old 03-27-2018, 05:55 PM

Bewitched is pretty much the only show I remember to have handled small children well. They were lucky to find a little girl who could play Tabitha so well when she was tiny. (At first, they used different infants who could not be told apart.)

Charlene Tilton got pregnant while working on Dallas. She too had to be photographed while standing behind tall chairs, or just from the shoulders up.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:35 PM

What about when Mork and Mindy added Johnathan Winters?
Old 03-27-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
My Three Sons is a great show! It's on either MeTV or Antenna TV - don't remember which early in the morning. I record it every day. I loved it when I was a kid and love it even more now. Ernie and Uncle Charlie have some great lines.

But back to added kids.........Dodie ruined the show. All added kids ruined the shows. Kind of like "jumping the shark". It's pretty much over when random kids get added.
Of course, the show had already thrived for several years with an added kid (Ernie) after oldest brother Mike grew up and moved out.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
Of course, the show had already thrived for several years with an added kid (Ernie) after oldest brother Mike grew up and moved out.
Having Barbara have that young of a daughter was ridiculous, but I guess if a younger actress was cast, people would have thought Steve was robbing the cradle.

The addition of Dodie was totally not needed IMO. She was gratingly annoying.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

What about Blossom adding Kennedy? Her (yes, her) name says it all.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
What about Blossom adding Kennedy? Her (yes, her) name says it all.
Kennedy is meant to be British but the American kid playing her's attempt at a British accent sounds closer to Chinese!
Old 03-28-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Worf's kid on Star Trek TNG was a whiny brat that didn't want to be warrior. Klingons are warriors! sheesh

Thankfully they shipped his butt off to Worf's parents on earth.
He didn't stay there long, tho, coming back quite a bit on TNG, and ultimately aged up again to a whiny teenager who did want to be a warrior on DS9.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:01 PM

Does Dawn count on Buffy the Vampire Slayer? :-))
Old 03-29-2018, 07:08 AM

There was a kidís show on Disney, Good Luck Charlie. The original youngest child, a toddler was a little girl named Charlie and each episode would end with the older sister wishing her luck as she grew up and experienced what the big sister was going through. Anyway, they decided to add another child to the family. Why? No idea, except maybe they thought Charlie was getting too old and they thought a baby would boost ratings. It was a cute show but didnít need the addition of another kid.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
Does Dawn count on Buffy the Vampire Slayer? :-))
Of course not. She was there from the very beginning, on the very first episode. Don't you remember her being all annoying and whiny about having to move to Sunnydale???
Old 04-02-2018, 09:09 PM
BANNED

Worst: “Max Shulman’s Dobie Gillis” in its four season adding “Cousin Duncan”, a 15 year old left by Herbert T’s brother so he could pursue a country and western career. They had this 15 year old on for seven episodes while Zelda Gilroy and Chatsworth Osborne Jr were only in four. Professor Leander Pomfritt was eliminated. They felt that Dwayne Hickman at age 28, while playing a college student, was too old to always be the hapless loser chasing women so bring in a teenager to hang with Maynard and Dobie-with-a-b can be the wiser older influence. They tried that in the first season with Dobie’s older brother Davey (played by Darryl Hickman) and it didn’t work; Davey going to where Chuck Cunningham, Adam Cartwright and Mike Douglas end up.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:11 AM

Adam Cartwright and Mike Douglas both went "out East". Reminds me of how Neighbours would send departing characters to Brisbane or Darwin.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
IIRC, the actress who played the mom got pregnant, the pregnancy was written into the show, and then the "dream" thing happened when the real-life baby was stillborn.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

No mention of Roseanne yet. Jerry was added when Roseanne got pregnant IRL, Andy was added when Laurie Metcalf got pregnant IRL, and Harris was added at the last show.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
IIRC, the actress who played the mom got pregnant, the pregnancy was written into the show, and then the "dream" thing happened when the real-life baby was stillborn.
No, as described above - the "it was all a dream" thing happened in season 6, when Katey Sagal was actually pregnant, so they wrote her pregnancy into the show (and made Marcy pregnant too). When her child was stillborn, they wrote her out of a few episodes by sending her to Wanker county, and ended the pregnancy arc with Al's dream.

The next season opened with Peggy's cousins abandoning Seven at their house. He quietly disappeared about half way through the season.

Sagal actually had 2 children later in MWC's run, but they kept her pregnancy off air on both of those, with camera tricks & more Wanker county episodes.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Son View Post
Worst: “Max Shulman’s Dobie Gillis” in its four season adding “Cousin Duncan”, a 15 year old left by Herbert T’s brother so he could pursue a country and western career. They had this 15 year old on for seven episodes while Zelda Gilroy and Chatsworth Osborne Jr were only in four. Professor Leander Pomfritt was eliminated. They felt that Dwayne Hickman at age 28, while playing a college student, was too old to always be the hapless loser chasing women so bring in a teenager to hang with Maynard and Dobie-with-a-b can be the wiser older influence. They tried that in the first season with Dobie’s older brother Davey (played by Darryl Hickman) and it didn’t work; Davey going to where Chuck Cunningham, Adam Cartwright and Mike Douglas end up.
Quote:
Adam Cartwright and Mike Douglas both went "out East". Reminds me of how Neighbours would send departing characters to Brisbane or Darwin.
And Chuck Cunningham went to college.

Last edited by Kimballkid; 04-03-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
This reminds me of McMillan and Wife -- at one time Susan St. James is visibly very pregnant and there is dialogue about the upcoming baby -- but the next episode (which was a couple of months later as M&W was part of the rotating NBC Sunday Mystery Movie) SSJ was no longer pregnant and there was no mention of a baby!
Old 04-03-2018, 06:19 PM

It happened on Bones, that weird show (don't ever watch while eating dinner) about the Asperger-y forensic anthropologist and her ex-FBI not-really-my-boyfriend-then-suddenly-my-husband guy. It was a pretty interesting program up until then.

Also on Law & Order:Special Victims Unit, Olivia Benson adopted the baby of a drug addict, and the presence of that kid totally screwed up the dynamics of the program. Especially after Brooke Shields showed up as his borderline grandmother.

Leave the kids out of it and just stick to the formula that has been working.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:48 PM

"Madam Secretary" has a new baby on the show, although it's not interfering with the plot all that much so far. Daisy, one of the SoS's aides, had a brief fling with a diplomat who died, and found out later that she was pregnant by him. The reason they did that was because the actress who plays Daisy had a baby last year and the pregnancy was written into the show.

After the diplomat died, I did notice that Daisy seemed to be gaining weight and usually wore coats tied in the front, until Daisy announced her pregnancy.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
And Chuck Cunningham went to college.
Chuck was always in college. IIRC there's an episode where Richie goes to stay in his dorm room/apartment for a while.

No Chuck got completely retconned out of existence (due to Fonzie being super popular and unofficially taking the "older brother" role) much like the original layout of the Cunninghams' house with the front door on the opposite side of the room and a separate dining room instead of just having a table in the living room. Oddly they never adjusted the exterior shots to match the new layout, which never matched the house's interior for season 3 on.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:19 PM

There were too many to count back in the '80's. Off the top of my head not mentioned yet, Joey pre-"whoah!" Lawrence on Gimme a Break season 3, Sam from Diff'rent Strokes when Gary Coleman got too old to be cute, and some totally forgettable kid on Who's the Boss, who I had to look up to find out his name was Billy. All of them were terrible actors with terrible haircuts on pretty bad shows, but I was just a kid myself then.

Does Monroe from Too Close for Comfort count? He was pretty special.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j View Post
There were too many to count back in the '80's. Off the top of my head not mentioned yet, Joey pre-"whoah!" Lawrence on Gimme a Break season 3, Sam from Diff'rent Strokes when Gary Coleman got too old to be cute, and some totally forgettable kid on Who's the Boss, who I had to look up to find out his name was Billy.
Another completely forgotten child actor on Growing Pains...
Old 04-06-2018, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Let's not forget Growing Pains adding the homeless Luke Bower, played by a then unknown Leonardo DiCaprio.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j View Post
There were too many to count back in the '80's. Off the top of my head not mentioned yet, Joey pre-"whoah!" Lawrence on Gimme a Break season 3
And then, when he started getting older as well, they brought in his character's brother, played by Joey's brother Matthew. There was a "reunion" of sorts on an episode of Blossom, where Joey, Matthew, and younger brother Andrew (who appears to be playing a recurring character on Hawaii Five-O now) played different age versions of Joey's character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
This reminds me of McMillan and Wife -- at one time Susan St. James is visibly very pregnant and there is dialogue about the upcoming baby -- but the next episode (which was a couple of months later as M&W was part of the rotating NBC Sunday Mystery Movie) SSJ was no longer pregnant and there was no mention of a baby!
IIRC, the same thing happened on Petticoat Junction. In the last episode of the next-to-last season, the new doctor (June Lockhart's character, brought in as a replacement of sorts for Bea Benaderet) was about to leave for a job in New York, but changed her mind at the last minute when Betty Jo got pregnant for the second time, but there was no new baby or even a mention of the pregnancy in the show's final season.

And Susan St. James went through this again on Kate & Allie; at first, they had Kate trip over an expensive sewing machine Allie had bought in secret and left on a staircase, so she could be in bed most of the time, and, as they put it in a "behind the scenes" episode near the end of the show's run, when it just got too hard to hide the pregnancy, they had a flashback to when Kate was pregnant with Emma (and had Jane Curtin "padded up" to look like she was pregnant with Jenny at the same time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
No Chuck got completely retconned out of existence (due to Fonzie being super popular and unofficially taking the "older brother" role) much like the original layout of the Cunninghams' house with the front door on the opposite side of the room and a separate dining room instead of just having a table in the living room. Oddly they never adjusted the exterior shots to match the new layout, which never matched the house's interior for season 3 on.
I remember at least one later-season episode where Marion says that they have "two children" (i.e. Richie and Joanie, but not Chuck). Also, you would think Chuck would have shown up at Joanie's wedding in the final episode; after all, they managed to bring Richie back for that one. Then again, Chuck wasn't at Richie's wedding either - but then again again, neither was Richie (he was stuck on his Army base in Greenland and they had an "over the phone" wedding with Fonzie standing in for him).
Old 04-06-2018, 09:27 AM

The Adding a Kid Move usually marks the end of my interest in a show, especially in a crime/police procedural show. I've bitched about this before because I don't like focus pulled from the adult actions; and, all too often, a cop's kid is kidnapped and cliches unleashed.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
The Adding a Kid Move usually marks the end of my interest in a show, especially in a crime/police procedural show. I've bitched about this before because I don't like focus pulled from the adult actions; and, all too often, a cop's kid is kidnapped and cliches unleashed.
A-MEN!
Old 04-06-2018, 12:01 PM

How old was Scrappy-Doo? I don't think it was clear if he was a great dane puppy, or an adult little yappy chihuahua mix.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
How old was Scrappy-Doo? I don't think it was clear if he was a great dane puppy, or an adult little yappy chihuahua mix.

Not sure how old he was, but Scrappy did make an appearance alongside Scooby and the gang on the Scoobynatural episode of Supernatural running through doors and such. Blink and you miss it.