Old 04-06-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
The Adding a Kid Move usually marks the end of my interest in a show, especially in a crime/police procedural show. I've bitched about this before because I don't like focus pulled from the adult actions; and, all too often, a cop's kid is kidnapped and cliches unleashed.
In 2007 there was a reboot of 'The Bionic Woman' and I don't know if she was there from the start or just was dumped on BW's doorstep - meet the 'younger sister'. It is an annoying fact of life that younger sisters are continually orphaned by their parents dying in car crashes and thus shipped off to the nearest relative. Where they make the tv character's life a massive pain in the ass, as that younger sister buddies up to the villain, stays out all night with questionable acquaintances, 'acts out', and needs constant overseeing, discipline, and attention. (not to mention being a major cockblocker of the older sibling's romantic life.) I am an old curmudgeon anyway, but I HATE those kids who show up, or are shoehorned into a series.

Wasn't Julia Louise Dreyfuss pregnant in real life during 'Seinfeld' at one point and it was just ignored completely on the show? As was Leah Remini on 'King of Queens'? (years ago a druggy Barbara Hershey spluttered in a diatribe how she was turned down for acting roles because she was pregnant, and how pregnancy was a natural part of life, and why should it matter if the character was pregnant or not, and on and on in her Mother Nature Hippie way.)
Old 04-06-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
This reminds me of McMillan and Wife -- at one time Susan St. James is visibly very pregnant and there is dialogue about the upcoming baby -- but the next episode (which was a couple of months later as M&W was part of the rotating NBC Sunday Mystery Movie) SSJ was no longer pregnant and there was no mention of a baby!

Sounds like Maggie on the Walking Dead.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:27 AM

I'm really surprised they didn't retake some scenes in My Three Sons where Dawn Lyn ("Dodie") obviously had problems. Nanny and the Professor fans might be happy that Dawn Lyn didn't end up their Prudence Everett.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Wasn't Julia Louise Dreyfuss pregnant in real life during 'Seinfeld' at one point and it was just ignored completely on the show?
Louis-Dreyfus has such a slight build it would hardly have been noticeable under the loose clothing she habitually wore on the show.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Wasn't Julia Louise Dreyfuss pregnant in real life during 'Seinfeld' at one point and it was just ignored completely on the show?
Ignored on Seinfeld, but hilariously harpooned on The Nanny, where C.C. (played by the very pregnant Lauren Lane) enters talking about a Seinfeld episode she saw where the producers were obviously trying to hide JLD's pregnancy. C.C. wears an overcoat, carries a giant shoulder bag which she switches to the other shoulder when she turns around, picks up a large potted plant and leaves, then returns holding a large poster that says "Baby."
Old 04-09-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
Sounds like Maggie on the Walking Dead.
Except not. They constantly mention her pregnancy, and trying to get a doctor back to town for her and stuff. Yeah, she's been preggo a long time, but that's more like Lilith on Cheers than anything else.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
How old was Scrappy-Doo? I don't think it was clear if he was a great dane puppy, or an adult little yappy chihuahua mix.
He was Scooby's nephew so he was at least partly great dane.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:45 AM

Dodie in M3S where she runs away to Rob and Katie's apartment... she's lucky she wasn't pulled into some strange man's car and never seen again! WTF,, scriptwriters?
Old 05-03-2018, 01:42 PM

Since this is a plot device that has been around for years, and brought us many annoying kids, and many shark jumps, here is my question..

Is there any instances of the new kid on a show, actually working?
Old 05-03-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread View Post
Since this is a plot device that has been around for years, and brought us many annoying kids, and many shark jumps, here is my question..

That depends on what you mean by "working." If somebody having a baby which then time jumps to a preschooler counts as a "new kid," the ones on, say, Growing Pains or The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air didn't doom the show. The closest I can come up with at the moment to an older kid being added that "worked" is Ernie on My Three Sons.
(There's also Kimmi on Rugrats, but that gets an asterisk as none of the characters got older.)

Also, does the "new kid" have to be in the main family? Replacing Larry with Beaver's later friends on Leave It to Beaver only made the show better, IMO.

One thing you have to keep in mind is, usually when a "new kid" is added, the show has already been on for a number of years and is starting to tire.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Peg's pregnancy was written off as a dream, but Seven just disappeared without a reason.
You're right. From Wikia's Fandom:

Quote:
He appeared on the seventh season of Married with Children in a handful of episodes, then disappeared without any explanation other than a quick mention by the D'Arcys that he showed up in their house and won't leave. They claim they want to rename him, and possibly begin taking care of him, but that's the last time he is referred to.

He was an extremely unpopular character with the fans. However, in season eight, in the episode "Kelly Knows Something", Kelly is studying for a trivia show. As she learns new information, you visually see her forgetting other things. One thing that "pops out of her head" is an image of Seven. There is a scene where a carton of milk is held up at the Bundy's breakfast table and a picture of Seven is shown on the carton under the heading "Missing" but the Bundys don't seem to notice, or care.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
The ones where they have a baby one season, the next season the kid is four or five already!

The Thumdermans handled this by having super-growth being one of the baby's powers.

Yes, the Cub is watching a lot of Nickledeon shows. Why do you ask?
Old 05-03-2018, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
My Three Sons is a great show! It's on either MeTV or Antenna TV - don't remember which early in the morning. I record it every day. I loved it when I was a kid and love it even more now. Ernie and Uncle Charlie have some great lines.

But back to added kids.........Dodie ruined the show. All added kids ruined the shows. Kind of like "jumping the shark". It's pretty much over when random kids get added.
To be fair, Ernie was an added kid too!

The original 3 sons were Mike, Robbie and Chip.

Ernie had appeared in a couple episodes the prior season as Chip's friend. When oldest brother Mike left the show, they needed a third son, so they came up with the premise that Ernie was a foster child living with neighbors, the neighbors had to move or something, and Steve and family adopted Ernie instead because they already knew and loved him.

I remember the social services people wouldn't place Ernie with them at first because there was no mother in the home, until it was pointed out that Bub (or Uncle Charlie by then?) acted as the mother figure.

I know all this thanks to Nick at Night - The Mike-to-Ernie switch happened before I was old enough to watch the show when it was on broadcast.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Family Ties pulled this one. Not that they didn't have other crimes under their belt (they were the king of clip shows ), but this one was so blatant. Baby one season, four-year-old the next. Blammo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Worf's kid on Star Trek TNG was a whiny brat that didn't want to be warrior. Klingons are warriors! sheesh

Thankfully they shipped his butt off to Worf's parents on earth.
Both characters, Andy Keaton and Alexander Rozhenko, were played by the same actor, Brian Bonsall.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

The Cosby Show added an older child (Sabrina le Beauf), who wasn't mentioned at all until well into the first season.

We always wondered if it was a last-minute decision to cover their tails because Cosby said "we have 5 kids" when clearly they were only showing 4.

I suspect they planned it all along, though it seemed clumsy.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
The Cosby Show added an older child (Sabrina le Beauf), who wasn't mentioned at all until well into the first season.

We always wondered if it was a last-minute decision to cover their tails because Cosby said "we have 5 kids" when clearly they were only showing 4.

Actually, in the pilot episode, Clair asked, "Why did we have four children?" and Cliff responded, "Because we didn't want five."
Old 05-03-2018, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
The most (only) interesting thing about Seven was that his parents were Bobcat Goldthwait and Linda Blair.
... blinks slowly...

That's an, uh, an interesting pairing.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:

IMHO...yes and no. Dawn on Buffy The Vampire Slayer seemed to be intentionally spoofing the usual tropes (e.g. She Was Always There From The Beginning, even though she actually wasn't), at least when the story arc revolved around her being this extradimensional object given human form to hide her from the Big Bad. But once that arc was done, the writers didn't seem to know what to do with her, and so they fell right into the standard Cousin Oliver traps.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
For example, in the third season of "Cheers", BOTH Rhea Pearlman and Shelley Long got pregnant at the same time. While it was plausible that Pearlman's character Carla would get "knocked up", it didn't seem likely that Long's character Diane would get pregnant (and also, having BOTH regular female characters become pregnant at the same time would lead to repetitive stories.) So in-universe, Carla became pregnant and the show just carried on, but the producers had to constantly have Diane behind the bar (to hide her belly) or seated at a desk. It was apparently an enormous difficult to keep hiding Long baby belly hidden from view.
In an extreme case, Diane was shown in face only, looking up from a floor heating duct. I forget how she got there; it's probably a plot they'd prefer to forget.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:40 PM

Barbara was way too old for the sixties to have a daughter Dodie's age.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:

Quite a few. The afore mentioned My Three Sons thrived after the addition of Ernie. I Love Lucy did fine, as did The Dick Van Dyke show. Bewitched did well after adding a child, then after adding a second one. There's probably more that I don't remember.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

72 posts it took to mention William, Mulder and Scully's kid from The X-Files?

Loyal viewers of the show knew there was no WAY the writers (all young and male, seemingly) could successfully write a baby into a show about rogue FBI agents fighting an oncoming alien invasion, and their fears were richly realized. Chris Carter's complete cluelessness in how to handle William continued to the very end when the confused writers, at a loss in coming up with a way to resolve the dilemma in an emotionally satisfying way, just decided to ship him off to some unsuspecting farmers in Montana.

Good job, everyone. Good fucking job.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Perfume View Post
Barbara was way too old for the sixties to have a daughter Dodie's age.
Huh? Beverly Garland (Barbara) was born in October 1926 and Dawn Lyn (Dodie) was born in January 1963. Dodie was supposed to be 5 since they joined the show in the fall of 1969. Not sure about Barbara’s age but it is probably close to Garland’s real age.
My mother was 36 when she gave birth to her last child and when I was 17, one of my classmates, who already had a 19 year old sister, got a baby sister when his parents had another child.

Worst child addition ever has to be the 10 year old daughter Maddie of Ally McBeal in season 5 because of a mix up with the eggs she stored at a coinic.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
Quite a few. The afore mentioned My Three Sons thrived after the addition of Ernie. I Love Lucy did fine, as did The Dick Van Dyke show. Bewitched did well after adding a child, then after adding a second one. There's probably more that I don't remember.
The Dick Van Dyke Show never added a kid, Richie was there from the beginning. There was an episode showing his birth, but that was a flashback.

For all the hatred that Scrappy Doo gets, and it is deserved, as Mark Evanier, who wrote the first Scrappy episode, points out, Scrappy accomplished what he was intended to accomplish. Namely, he got Scooby Doo renewed for a few more seasons, after it had been on the verge of cancellation. In that sense, he "worked."
Old 05-11-2018, 02:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
Arguably "I Love Lucy" added a child in name only - Little Ricky appeared in very, very few episodes and was rarely a major plot element.

In the case of Bewitched: adding a child was more of an expect-able thing, given that the show featured a young, newly-married couple - i.e. kids happen. They were added fairly reasonably, not jump-the-shark'ed in like Seven or Cousin Oliver.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Assuming you can call a 20 year old a new kid, adding Ronnie Burns to the “George Burns and Gracie Allen Show” helped, or at least didn’t hurt. Ronnie had appeared a few times before (as did his sister Sandra, both were adopted children by George and Gracie) sometims as himself, other times as different characters. But in season 6 which had the Burns and their friends the Mortons living in a hotel in New York City, Ronnie joined the cast full time as as aspiring serious actor embarrassed by his father’s vaudeville routines (Sandra did not like acting and only appeared in a few bit roles). The following year everyone moved back to Beverly Hills and Ronnie was now a girl chasing college student. The wiki bio on Ronnie says his addition was popular with younger viewers.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:16 AM

I couldn't stand Brian Bonsall ("Bonsall the Tonsil").
Old 05-11-2018, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
The Dick Van Dyke Show never added a kid, Richie was there from the beginning. There was an episode showing his birth, but that was a flashback....
Not to mention the flashback episode dealing with Richie's middle name, Rosebud (acronym for Robert Oscar Sam Edward Benjamin Ulysses David. I'm so ashamed of myself for remembering that).

As with Little Ricky on I Love Lucy, it's interesting to note that in both cases, the child was not onscreen all that much. Relatively few episodes had them as major players. The kids were definitely not central to the show, unlike many others of the era. I wonder if there's a correlation between those child actors doing better in life than actors who were stars of their respective shows (Father Knows Best, Diff'rent Strokes, and so on).

/hijack

Last edited by Mama Zappa; 05-11-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:20 AM

Only Fools and Horses went downhill when they added wives and kids
Old 05-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
The ones where they have a baby one season, the next season the kid is four or five already!
Quote:
Family Ties pulled this one. Not that they didn't have other crimes under their belt (they were the king of clip shows ), but this one was so blatant. Baby one season, four-year-old the next. Blammo.
Unless the story doesn’t work with the child being older, there’s no reason they shouldn’t do this. A sitcom isn’t an attempt to realistically portray fake lives in documentary form. There’s no good reason they should subject this to continuity rules.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
This happened on the Drew Carey Show, too. Steve and Mimi's baby, King Gus, (It was suggested by a viewer in a contest. Really!) arrived in season 8. By the next season, he was a five-year old pyro who had burned down their house.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:44 AM

What's depressing about Dodie (and Buffy Davis and Cindy Brady) is how they wore outfits that resulted, not in visible panty line, but in visible panties. In the publicity shot for the wedding episode, Dodie's underwear is clearly visible because her dress is so short.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What's depressing about Dodie (and Buffy Davis and Cindy Brady) is how they wore outfits that resulted, not in visible panty line, but in visible panties. In the publicity shot for the wedding episode, Dodie's underwear is clearly visible because her dress is so short.
It's not something that I've ever noticed ... maybe that was just in fashion at the time?
Old 05-12-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
Only Fools and Horses went downhill when they added wives and kids
So did Big Bang Theory.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
It's not something that I've ever noticed ... maybe that was just in fashion at the time?
It was, which is a bit creepy. Young girls tended to be dressed in VERY short dresses.

I have a vague memory of having several pairs of underpants with ruffles across the back. There'd be no point to that if the dresses were long enough to cover, but basically the babydoll-type dresses young girls were put in would barely cover the ass area if you weren't moving.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
IMHO...yes and no. Dawn on Buffy The Vampire Slayer seemed to be intentionally spoofing the usual tropes (e.g. She Was Always There From The Beginning, even though she actually wasn't), at least when the story arc revolved around her being this extradimensional object given human form to hide her from the Big Bad. But once that arc was done, the writers didn't seem to know what to do with her, and so they fell right into the standard Cousin Oliver traps.
Agreed.

For all the problems with Dawn, the story arc that brought her into the show is probably the best of the series and worth 3 seasons of her bratiness.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:

I've talked to the show's writer about this, and no, it wasn't planned all along.
Bill Cosby sprung it on them suddenly.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I've been watching My Three Sons since last fall on MeTv. It's now in the Dodie era. I'm kind of losing interest now. It was great before. But I just said the same thing to my husband the other night. Why would you dress a little girl like that?! She's either dressed like a boy or she's wearing a dress with her underwear showing. Unless what I think is underwear is pant-things that are part of the outfit - like baby girls used to wear with a dress. Another thing that drives me crazy about Dodie......what kind of hairdo is that!? It looks like someone used a hatchet to cut her hair!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:49 AM

Would mentioning the flip side violate protocol?

Fox's "Grounded For Life" had three kids (daughter and two younger sons) until their last season when, IRL, the family of the younger boy moved back East. No mention of the missing third kid on the show. Sadly, he was the funniest of the three.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 05-16-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
I've been watching My Three Sons since last fall on MeTv. It's now in the Dodie era. I'm kind of losing interest now. It was great before. But I just said the same thing to my husband the other night. Why would you dress a little girl like that?! She's either dressed like a boy or she's wearing a dress with her underwear showing. Unless what I think is underwear is pant-things that are part of the outfit - like baby girls used to wear with a dress. Another thing that drives me crazy about Dodie......what kind of hairdo is that!? It looks like someone used a hatchet to cut her hair!
Interesting trivia about Dawn Lyn, who played Dodie: She's the sister of singer Leif Garrett.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:12 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Not an 'added' kid but this was just lampshaded on Season 2 of 'A Series of Unfortunate Events'.

Violet Beauregard, right at the beginning of the first show of the season, says something like, "We've been sitting here so long it appears that Sonny (the baby) has aged from baby to toddler." Then they move on with the show.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:22 PM
BANNED

“Upstairs, Downstairs” added some children but quickly got rid of them. Elizabeth Bellamy Kirbridge had a daughter Lucy (fathered by her gay husband’s publisher) but when Nicola Pagett left the show (fearing typecasting) both mother and daughter were said to move to America. Referred to occasionally but never showing up again.
James Bellamy got the former maid Sarah pregnant but the child died shortly after birth. They pretty much said James wife Hazel couldn’t have children which closed the door on that.
When Richard Bellamy married Virginia Hamilton (both were widowed, good thing Richard was finishing a book on his father-in-law instead of boarding the Titanic), she had a young son William and a young daughter Alice (an older son was killed in World War I). But after an episode where both children persuaded their parents not to move out of 165 Eaton Place because they liked the servants, William was sent off to boarding school. Alice had one episode where she had a mean tutor but that was about it for her.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:47 PM

^ Hawkeye: Meanwhile, Aunt Martha, having taken a tramp in the wood, is lying in a ditch at the edge of town.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
^ Hawkeye: Meanwhile, Aunt Martha, having taken a tramp in the wood, is lying in a ditch at the edge of town.
No doubt the tramp also enjoyed these romps.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:32 PM

Dodie's problem was the bizarre filming schedule of My Three Sons. That might explain the "Hatchet" hairdo and the too-short dresses with panties exposed. In scenes with Fred Macmurray, Dawn Lyn looks very young, but in scenes without him filmed months later, she's slightly grown and the producers are forced to try and make her look as she did from the start. As we move into Season 11 and 12, more often she's wearing trousers and has a longer, better, hairstyle.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
No mention of Roseanne yet. Jerry was added when Roseanne got pregnant IRL, Andy was added when Laurie Metcalf got pregnant IRL, and Harris was added at the last show.
Twenty one years later Harris is a 15 year old high school student, Jerry works on a fishing boat, and Andy apparently doesn't exist.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Son View Post
Alice had one episode where she had a mean tutor but that was about it for her.
Alice shows up briefly at the very end for Georgina's wedding, but she's ~20 by then and played by an older actress.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:

In the (aired) pilot, one of Cliff/Claire asks the other, "Why do we have four kids?", and the other responded, "Because we don't have five."
Old 05-17-2018, 09:30 AM

The Flintstones added Pebbles and Bam Bam and they quickly became major characters.

Admittedly Flintstones was based on "The Honeymooners" and really only after having the kids did the show really became different.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
In the (aired) pilot, one of Cliff/Claire asks the other, "Why do we have four kids?", and the other responded, "Because we don't have five."
Pssst! Post #66.