Old 06-24-2019, 10:20 PM

I have been physically present in every province, but to be perfectly honest we just drove right through Saskatchewan and Manitoba. I haven't been in any Territories.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

I'm just missing the Yukon and Nunavut. But I've visited all ten provinces (multiple times), and the NWT (though only once).
Old 06-26-2019, 07:50 AM

I'm in Quebec and I've been to Ontario, Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia.

I remember my first time in British Columbia. I was on a bus tour with a bunch of orchestra friends on a trip. We were staying in Banff, and we visited Banff National Park and surrounding areas in the bus. At one point, the bus went into British Columbia, and I hadn't been expecting that, and I thought, Cool, I'm in a province I didn't know I'd be visiting!

A few years later I went to Vancouver for a week to play in a band made up of musicians from across Canada. It was a wonderful experience.

They say music can take you places - and it has.

Last edited by EmilyG; 06-26-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:03 PM

There are many places in Canada I'd like to go to, and that my lack of a car doesn't prevent me from going to. Maybe time to make a bucket list?
Old 06-26-2019, 05:16 PM

I haven't been to New Brunswick, PEI or the Yukon. Covered the rest in some fashion, though. I've given thought to doing a Grand Tour of the Prairies in the Summer at some point and visit as many "World's Largest" type things as possible. For example, the Happy Rock in Gladstone, MB, the giant Komarno,MB mosquito and the Andrew, AB Mallard. FWIW, I've seen those three but I think it would be a fun way to see this part of the country.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:49 PM

We've got a giant orange in Montreal. And a fairly large milk bottle.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:52 PM

Big Apple on the 401 near Belleville!
Old 06-26-2019, 06:05 PM

Ah yes, when my family visited my grandparents in Belleville, we used to sometimes go to the Big Apple.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:23 PM

And, of course, the big nickel in Sudbury!
Old 06-27-2019, 02:04 PM

I will eventually be living on the East Coast and hereby invite any Dopers to come on out for a visit.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
I will eventually be living on the East Coast and hereby invite any Dopers to come on out for a visit.
Careful what you wish for!
Old 06-30-2019, 12:56 AM
Charter Member

I was born in New Brunswick, have lived in Newfoundland and Ontario, and have repeatedly visited Nova Scotia and PEI. West of Ontario, I've only been to Alberta for a couple of weeks on vacation.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
I haven't been to New Brunswick, PEI or the Yukon. Covered the rest in some fashion, though. I've given thought to doing a Grand Tour of the Prairies in the Summer at some point and visit as many "World's Largest" type things as possible. For example, the Happy Rock in Gladstone, MB, the giant Komarno,MB mosquito and the Andrew, AB Mallard. FWIW, I've seen those three but I think it would be a fun way to see this part of the country.
Donít forget the Wawa Goose, the Duncan hockey stick and puck, and the Vegreville Egg!
Old 07-01-2019, 08:52 PM

Two years ago to the day, the new Wawa Goose was unveiled. If that isn't worth travelling a few thousand kilometers to see, I don't know what it is. Well, actually, I do know what it: the southern #17 route along north shore of Superior -- it really is worth traveling a long way to visit.

If you don't mind a mind numbing drive, then take the #11 northern route, where you'll get to look at the Beardmore Snowman. Although it doesn't have any feet (it's a snowman after all), it's about 35 feet high, which will be enhanced if you are hallucinating after such a long drive.

As you get closer to The West, duck down into Kenora, where back in the way-back Ontario and Manitoba police fought in the Rat Potage War, but not as allies. Yes, they fought against each other. Kenora has mellowed since then and is a lovely old town on the water. On the way into town you'll be welcomed by the Kenora Spider, which started life as an air-cooled VW Bug, but had aspirations.

Last edited by Muffin; 07-01-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:18 AM

I used to live in Winnipeg and my GF's parents had a cottage just east of Falcon Lake on the Ontario side. I'm well acquainted with Kenora! It's one of the reasons I don't drink Budweiser any more (Two for one Bud night, and a Hawaiian pizza combined with a night of dancing make for a long trip back to the cabin...) When I drove my boys to see my parents in 2005 we took the 17 and I broke down in Thunder Bay, so we got to see the sleeping giant, Kekabeka Falls, and the Terry Fox Memorial. Once we were back on the road we stayed overnight at the Sportsman's Lodge in Wawa.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Okay, I can manage a Wednesday with enough warning. I guess suggested places would be up to us, Cat; but our could depend on Das Glasperlenspiel's mobility (car or not?) and hotel location and preferences.

Das Glasperlenspiel, any idea where you will be staying? If you've looked at what our city has to offer ahead of time, is there any place in Lethbridge you'd like to meet?
Spoons, Cat Whisperer and Dread, I will likely be staying at the Sandman and I have no clue where that is in relation to anywhere else so I will trust my fellow Dopers to choose an appropriate watering hole. I like a good pub. Wednesday is just fine with me if everyone else is good with it.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Glasperlenspiel View Post
Spoons, Cat Whisperer and Dread, I will likely be staying at the Sandman ....
Which Sandman? There are two in our city; one on Mayor Magrath, and the other on Scenic Drive.

If it's the one on Scenic Drive, I can think of a few good places within walking distance.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Which Sandman? There are two in our city; one on Mayor Magrath, and the other on Scenic Drive.

If it's the one on Scenic Drive, I can think of a few good places within walking distance.
Itís the one on Scenic Drive.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Itís the one on Scenic Drive.
Okay, you are practically in downtown. As I recall, there is a nice lounge in the hotel, but like I said, there are a few nice places within a few minutes' walk. I'll speak with Cat and Jimbo, and we'll come up with something suitable.

Do you know the exact dates that you will be in town?
Old 07-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
<snip>But about 25% of Albertans voted Liberal fairly consistently.<snip>
I didnít know that 25% of Albertans were from Ontario. 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
I have been physically present in every province, but to be perfectly honest we just drove right through Saskatchewan and Manitoba. I haven't been in any Territories.
You missed seeing a Gutenberg Bible in the Mennonite Village in Steinbach, MB, and Al Caponeís tunnels in Moose Jaw, SK. 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
The giant moose in Moose Jaw, and the jaw-droppingly huge dump truck in Sparwood, BC.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Oh yeah, there’s also Batoche in northern Sask, and one of the best beaches I’ve ever seen on Lake Winnipeg (Grand Beach). And the geographical centre of Canada on Highway #1 in MB. And the Royal Mint in Winnipeg. ��
Old 07-07-2019, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

It might be considerably north of the Trans Canada, but I don't think I've ever heard Batoche described as being in northern Saskatchewan before.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

And don't forget the world's biggest coffee pot in Davidson, SK.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Unfortunately, they never did build the world's biggest Dirty Crack'd Hoe in Dog River SK.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
It might be considerably north of the Trans Canada, but I don't think I've ever heard Batoche described as being in northern Saskatchewan before.

When you grow up in the Cannington area, it's all northern Saskatchewan.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
And don't forget the world's biggest coffee pot in Davidson, SK.
Where in Davidson? I've been through there a few times, and I don't recall it.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Where in Davidson? I've been through there a few times, and I don't recall it.
Roughly halfway between Regina and Saskatoon on highway 11, but I know nothing of any coffee pot of note.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:37 AM

I've been through Davidson a bunch shuttling between Winnipeg and Cold Lake and I don't ever remember seeing a giant coffee pot unless you count the ones at the Husky
Old 07-08-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Roughly halfway between Regina and Saskatoon on highway 11, but I know nothing of any coffee pot of note.
It's right on Highway 11. It's been on a Canada Post stamp and everything. You sure you've not been on auto-pilot when you drive to Regina?

5 roadside attractions to check out in Saskatchewan

The World's Largest Coffee Pot

The Maple Highway

Canada Post: Roadside Attractions
Old 07-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

double post

Last edited by Northern Piper; 07-08-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's right on Highway 11. It's been on a Canada Post stamp and everything. You sure you've not been on auto-pilot when you drive to Regina?

5 roadside attractions to check out in Saskatchewan

The World's Largest Coffee Pot

The Maple Highway

Canada Post: Roadside Attractions
Well, like all people from Saskatchewan I'm entirely sure that I have been on autopilot driving past Davidson. I mean, it's not like the speed limit changes or anything like at thrice-cursed Chamberlain. So I just street-viewed my way past Davidson and sure enough, there's a big coffeepot next to the north entrance. Huh. Now, of course, it'd be blazingly obvious every time I go by and I'll be baffled as to how I never saw it before.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I consider anything north of Saskatoon Northern Saskatchewan, but you're right - it is not nearly as far north as I remember it.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

I think north of hwy 3 is northern sask.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
Still to far south, imho. You're not in northern Sask until you're past Meadow Lake or Waskesui. La Ronge is northern Saskatchewan. Nipawin isn't.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
Oh you wacky Southerners...
Old 07-09-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Okay, you are practically in downtown. As I recall, there is a nice lounge in the hotel, but like I said, there are a few nice places within a few minutes' walk. I'll speak with Cat and Jimbo, and we'll come up with something suitable.

Do you know the exact dates that you will be in town?
I fly in on the 15th and head back on the 19th - I’ll be here all week, folks!

Last edited by Das Glasperlenspiel; 07-09-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I fly in on the 15th and head back on the 19th - Iíll be here all week, folks!
Hey, try the veal!

Next week? Thanks; I will let Cat and Jimbo know. I think we can decide on a nice place that is wihin walking distance of your hotel. Looking forward to meeting you!
Old 07-10-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Well, like all people from Saskatchewan I'm entirely sure that I have been on autopilot driving past Davidson. I mean, it's not like the speed limit changes or anything like at thrice-cursed Chamberlain. So I just street-viewed my way past Davidson and sure enough, there's a big coffeepot next to the north entrance. Huh. Now, of course, it'd be blazingly obvious every time I go by and I'll be baffled as to how I never saw it before.
What?!?! The Eston gopher statue didn't make the list?
Old 07-11-2019, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey, try the veal!

Next week? Thanks; I will let Cat and Jimbo know. I think we can decide on a nice place that is wihin walking distance of your hotel. Looking forward to meeting you!
Okay, Das Glasperlenspiel, I've conferred with Cat and Jimbo, and I think we've come up with something. Check your PMs for more details.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Regina is getting refugees from forest fires in the Thunder Bay area.

You okay, Muffin?

And, I would have thought they'd be evacuated to Winnipeg, since it's closer. Does that mean Winnipeg already has a lot of fire refugees? Apparently if Regina runs out of space, the authorities plan to evacuate new refugees to Saskatoon.

Feel very sorry for them all. Complete disruption of their daily lives, plus possibility their homes might burn.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:52 PM

There are many fires north and north east of Winnipeg. Many of the fires north east of Winnipeg are closer to Winnipeg than Thunder Bay.

North Western Ontario is pretty much full up with fire evacuees, so Winnipeg has been pitching in. Now it looks like some evacuees will be heading even further west.

It is heart warming to see communities help out, but the simple fact of the matter is that usually only regional centres have capacity to host significant numbers of fire refugees, so sometimes there is a diaspora.

I very much hope that no communities are lost in the fires.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:03 PM

No worries for myself, for although I live in the bush, it is on the outskirts of Thunder Bay, where we's gots water bombers a plenty. When I moved to my present digs, my insurance company wanted to know how far my place was from a fire hydrant. I replied: "There are no fire hydrants anywhere near here, but a few days ago a water bomber extinguished a burning truck."
Old 07-14-2019, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

I understand they're using the residences at U of Regina and say that they've got plenty of staff and volunteers to make it work, but there's only so much space. That's why they're lining up Saskatoon and U of S.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Glad you're not at risk.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:21 PM

Good to hear you're OK Muffin.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:39 AM

My thanks to the Lethbridge Dopers, Spoons, Cat Whisperer and the Dread Pirate Jimbo! I thoroughly enjoyed our evening at the Owl - good food, good beer and great conversation! It's always great to meet another Doper IRL! I hope to see any or all of you in Ottawa some day.

I am now back in Ottawa, sweltering in the heat and trying to make sense of all the notes I took!
Old 07-22-2019, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

I go to Ottawa occasionally on business. I may be there for a meeting in November. Will post here if it starts to look likely - would love to meet some Otta-Dopers!
Old 07-22-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I go to Ottawa occasionally on business. I may be there for a meeting in November. Will post here if it starts to look likely - would love to meet some Otta-Dopers!
Weíre always up for it!
Old 07-22-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, sorry I missed you last time. Shit happens, as they say.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

No probs! Maybe next time.