Old 10-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Horrified Onlooker

I suspect the producers already have plans firmly in place, and are keeping quiet about it out of respect for Trebek.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

I hate when they determine the specific end target for the search first (female of color) and work backwards from there. Just pick the best person.

I've always wanted Ken Jennings. I think I've read that he's interested, and he has the jeopardy cred to replace a giant, and I think he'd make a good host.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I hate when they determine the specific end target for the search first (female of color) and work backwards from there. Just pick the best person.

I've always wanted Ken Jennings. I think I've read that he's interested, and he has the jeopardy cred to replace a giant, and I think he'd make a good host.
Yeah, we wouldn't want white males to be under-represented among TV game show hosts.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

I guess last night they aired an incorrect fact about Tetris blocks having names.

I have to admit, that guy did a great job making a fake manual page.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:12 PM

Thatís wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
Yeah, we wouldn't want white males to be under-represented among TV game show hosts.

Thatís almost exactly the opposite of what was said. Literally that post was against taking underrepresentation or overrepresentation into account at all when choosing the host.

I would split the difference and say they should break a tie by going with a woman of color, but should not rule out a white man if that is clearly the best host. It really needs to be someone who basically knows all the answers without having to look them up.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:30 PM

How often is the non-runaway score leader going into Final Jeopardy the only one to get FJ wrong?
Old 10-09-2019, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
It really needs to be someone who basically knows all the answers without having to look them up.
You understand that the host has the answers on cards in front of him, don't you?
Old 10-09-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
You understand that the host has the answers on cards in front of him, don't you?

Yes, of course. But that doesnít allow them to instantly respond to a wrong answer with ďOhh, sorry: you were thinking of the Tudor Dynasty rather than the House of Stuart that succeeded it. That will cost you $2000, but you still control the board, pick again.Ē Thatís the kind of shit Alex Trebek can pull out of his hat, and it makes him a boss. (I have heard people complain that he is a showoff, but I love it.) I donít want that mastery replaced by some telegenic presenter who can read everything smoothly off of cue cards, but doesnít really know the stuff cold.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:50 AM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Yes, of course. But that doesnít allow them to instantly respond to a wrong answer with ďOhh, sorry: you were thinking of the Tudor Dynasty rather than the House of Stuart that succeeded it. That will cost you $2000, but you still control the board, pick again.Ē Thatís the kind of shit Alex Trebek can pull out of his hat, and it makes him a boss...
IIRC Trebek reads all the day's questions before they tape the games, so he can be aware of any tricky pronunciations. He even alludes to the fact sometimes during a game (e.g. "I'd never heard of this one either.") I don't think he's pulling all those Mister-Know-It-All wrong answer followups out of his hat. Not that I'm dissing him - He no less impressive all the same.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
IIRC Trebek reads all the day's questions before they tape the games, so he can be aware of any tricky pronunciations. He even alludes to the fact sometimes during a game (e.g. "I'd never heard of this one either.") I don't think he's pulling all those Mister-Know-It-All wrong answer followups out of his hat. Not that I'm dissing him - He no less impressive all the same.
Right, and Trebek has been doing this for 35 fricking years! So he's obviously picked up plenty of information in that time. He's very good at his job, but I don't think he's Ken Jennings or James Holzhauer smart. (We could also discuss whether their command of lots of facts is the same as intelligence, but that's probably another thread.)

As far as Trebek's replacement is concerned, it's not like there's a Game Show Host SAT test all the potential candidates can take, so that the showrunners can give the job to the person with the highest score, regardless of sex or race. In the end it will be a subjective call, probably made at least partly on the basis of test shows, audience surveys, focus groups, and the like.

But if, for instance, they're hoping to draw in more women, or younger people, or some other key demographic, and find that, for instance, a woman of color would accomplish that as well as or better than a white man, why not?

Whoever they choose, there will undoubtedly be those who will say that the new person is not as good as Trebek, and some who will say, if it's a woman of color, that she's not as good as some man they could have hired.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Also, when he makes comments like "You're thinking of his father," it's during the daily doubles and final jeopardy. It wouldn't surprise me if the producers put notes for those questions saying what some common wrong answers are.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
But if, for instance, they're hoping to draw in more women, or younger people, or some other key demographic, and find that, for instance, a woman of color would accomplish that as well as or better than a white man, why not?

Iím cool with that, as long as it is someone who is at least as good at the knowledge stuff as the average second place contestant. Anything less than that, no.
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

The new head writer on Jeopardy! says players should find a style that works for them and not use Holzhauer's method, because he was a "one-in-a-million" player.

She and Alex think the games flow better from top to bottom.

I disagree, and I think the example of Jason shows that people not quite as smart as James can do well with his technique. Time will tell how popular and successful it will be.
Old Today, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Whoever they choose, there will undoubtedly be those who will say that the new person is not as good as Trebek, ...
I still say, this new guy they got isn't as good as Art Fleming, and soon they'll realize it and replace this upstart.
Old Today, 10:39 AM

Quote:
The new head writer on Jeopardy! says players should find a style that works for them and not use Holzhauer's method, because he was a "one-in-a-million" player.

I disagree, and I think the example of Jason shows that people not quite as smart as James can do well with his technique. Time will tell how popular and successful it will be.
I watched yesterday's game and it seemed like they were trying to use Holzhauer's technique of starting with the $1000/$2000 clues and jumping around the board. Unfortunately, none of them had Holzhauer's depth of trivia knowledge to really control the board. It was painful to watch them all struggle like that.
Old Today, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired and Cranky View Post
I watched yesterday's game and it seemed like they were trying to use Holzhauer's technique of starting with the $1000/$2000 clues and jumping around the board. Unfortunately, none of them had Holzhauer's depth of trivia knowledge to really control the board. It was painful to watch them all struggle like that.
I haven't had time to watch much since Jason left, but in the few games I saw after that I found the straight-down-the-categories play that most players were doing to be pretty boring.

I guess it's a question of what you want from the game: two or three closely matched, but not outstandingly brilliant, players who go back and forth for the lead, or one really smart player who quickly builds and holds a commanding lead for most of the game. The former describes about 98% of the games played in the last 35 years, and the latter is Jennings, Holzhauer, and a few other top champions.

Personally, I find the latter type more interesting, and worth tuning in to watch. The former is not so compelling to me that I'd normally spend 30 minutes on it instead of some other more novel show I would watch on Netflix, Amazon, etc. There are too many other options out there to spend half an hour on an ordinary Jeopardy! game.

If you like the ordinary play, more power to you. Enjoy! And of course, they can't all be extraordinary, by definition. So although I've been predicting that more people will try Holzhauer's technique, obviously only a few will do very well with it, and almost no one will do as well as James did. I'm curious to find out how many people will attempt it and make it work better than the standard method.
Old Today, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

FYI, here's an interview with Alex from about a year ago that I hadn't noticed at the time, and came across yesterday when I saw the story about the interview with the new head writer.
Old Today, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. Doesn't this strengthen my hypothesis that they may change the rules to require that kind of play?
Old Today, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. Doesn't this strengthen my hypothesis that they may change the rules to require that kind of play?
I hope not! Might as well just forgo categories and just have the host read questions (excuse me, answers) in order. We already have that show. it's called Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
Old Today, 05:52 PM

I will say again what I said about this last time. How can it be true that requiring people to play the game the way everyone has played it in at least 99% of all episodes makes it just the same as "Millionaire"?

And of coarse "Millionaire" does not involve wagering, does not have three contestants trying to ring in first, and just has many fewer questions and no categories or wordplay that I can recall. Conversely, Jeopardy does not allow people to phone a friend or eliminate all but one answer. This is a rather specious comparison overall. They are both trivia game shows, but that's about where it ends, with or without my putative rule change.