Old 07-23-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Weren't you paying attention to the movies? Picard is it for the family. His brother and nephew died in a fire, and there are no other siblings. So unless Jean-Luc is in a few sperm banks. the line dies with him.
Pfft, it's Star Trek. One transporter accident and his entire family is back from the dead.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
Still, I saw the trailer, and I am not impressed. It seems dark. Star Trek is not supposed to be dark.
Discovery is dark (I think it's my favourite Trek). DS9 was often dark.
Quote:
Further, the idea of "Picard in Retirement" is a neat idea.
Where is the "Star" or the "Trek" in an old man pottering around alone in Burgundy?
Old 07-24-2019, 04:42 AM

Agreed. Star Trek needs to have copious amounts of star trekking. Otherwise, what's the point?

Last edited by Alessan; 07-24-2019 at 04:42 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Discovery is dark (I think it's my favourite Trek). DS9 was often dark.

Where is the "Star" or the "Trek" in an old man pottering around alone in Burgundy?
Shatner voice: "The trek! Issssss to find one's self! Issss to. BETTER....Our selves!

Gen. Tle. Men. We reachforthestars....everytime we. Wake UP!"
Old 07-24-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Naomi Wildman?
No forehead bumps.

You know who she does look like, though? Lal.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
You know who she does look like, though? Lal.
[Hisses furiously]
Old 07-24-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Yeah, the central tease of the trailer is who is that young woman who's in serious danger?

We see her emoting a bit, also running at an unnatural speed and kicking some ass against apparently holosuite characters.

Also, Picard and Data are playing poker. Any thoughts about whether that's also in a holosuite?
I don't get how its Data. or B4 (even with Datas engrams) if thats B4s body we see dissasembled .

I guess it ciuld be Data in B4 and something happened where Data demanded he be disassembled....or it could be Lore.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:00 AM

I have two theories regarding the poker scene:

1. It's Data's consciousness extracted from B4 and stuck in a holodeck program.
2. It's Lore, possibly with some part of Data grafted onto him. The last time we see Lore, Data is taking him apart, which fits the image of a disassembled android in a drawer.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Oooh, yeah. Could be transporter.

But that doesn't mean that's not the central Maguffin. She's some sort of enhancile/alien/whatever. She clearly exceeds human norms.
Considering the multiple references to Data and the Borg in the trailer, I'm betting she's an advanced android.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Considering the multiple references to Data and the Borg in the trailer, I'm betting she's an advanced android.
I like that thought. And IIRC, Stewart's very favorite TNG episode is "The Measure of a Man", in which he defends Data's rights as a sentient being in Federation court. Perhaps this woman/android seeks him out because of his successful defense of Data in that court, and she thinks he's the only one she can trust at the same time that Starfleet operatives, the Borg, and perhaps others are trying to capture and study her.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:11 PM
SDSAB

Another thread that started last month: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=877163
Old 07-24-2019, 12:30 PM

Whichever android it is, it seems that it wasn't peacefully disassembled. Look closely at the torso and you will see damage and apparently chunks missing that were not at disassembly points. Possibly Data is supposed to have been blown to larger smithereens than originally implied?
Old 07-24-2019, 12:42 PM

(Animated gif of the scene in question.)
Old 07-24-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Perhaps this woman/android seeks him out because of his successful defense of Data in that court, and she thinks he's the only one she can trust at the same time that Starfleet operatives, the Borg, and perhaps others are trying to capture and study her.
Or maybe she's an advanced Borg who seeks out Picard because Locutus.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Complete wild-ass guess: she's the Borg queen, or will become the Borg queen. After all, we know that the Borg queen isn't (will not have been) bound by linear time ('You think in such three-dimensional terms...'), plus it sets up tons of moral conundrums (she might be an innocent now, but she'll become a tyrant later, do I try to save her, kill her, none of the above?), and connects to the whole Borg/Data/Picard angle.

Only problem is, I never liked the Borg queen as an idea...

Last edited by Half Man Half Wit; 07-24-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
Complete wild-ass guess: she's the Borg queen, or will become the Borg queen. After all, we know that the Borg queen isn't (will not have been) bound by linear time ('You think in such three-dimensional terms...'), plus it sets up tons of moral conundrums (she might be an innocent now, but she'll become a tyrant later, do I try to save her, kill her, none of the above?), and connects to the whole Borg/Data/Picard angle.

Only problem is, I never liked the Borg queen as an idea...
That was the best TNG movie by far, but 8 agree that the Borg queen kind of ruined the Borg. They were better as faceless, implacable and inscrutable villains, IMO.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Whatever their plans are for Picard, apparently the show revolves around him; considering it's named after him.

Maybe he becomes important because of his experience with the Borg. If so, it's hard to see how they can continue with that storyline for long.

Last edited by davidm; 07-24-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That was the best TNG movie by far, but 8 agree that the Borg queen kind of ruined the Borg. They were better as faceless, implacable and inscrutable villains, IMO.
I agree that the Borg queen was a mistake.

Last edited by davidm; 07-24-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:35 PM

The Borg Queen is in the Voyager finale. I wasn't very impressed with that character.

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-24-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
You have to look at it that the Borg Queen isn't really a "queen" like in the insect sense. There IS no central ruler. The BQ is merely the Borg's adaptation to getting their asses kicked by a hierarchical command structure that humans use. So they are "adapting" by having a "queen" who is a leader-who-isn't-a-leader. She's both in charge and part of the collective. The BQ did not exist before the Borg's defeat in BoBW. The "outside of time" is just Borg subterfuge.

That is, assuming the whole BQ isn't just a simple lie to put humans off guard. Let them think they're dealing with a "leader" that isn't really there. Let them follow their "two dimensional thinking". It didn't work any better, though. ST:FC still makes sense if you assume everything the BQ says is a lie.

Of course, everything the BQ is in after FC is a mess. Thanks, Voyager.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 07-24-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadementia View Post
I'd like Worf back, just to see him carry a disassembled Data on his back.
If only you'd attached my legs, I wouldn't be in this ridiculous position. Now remember, Worf, you have a responsibility to me, so don't do anything foolish!

Wait... wait. Oh, my! What have you done? I'm BACKWARDS. You flea-bitten son of a targ! Only an overgrown turtle-head like you would be stupid enough to..
Old 07-24-2019, 09:23 PM

The whole "Savior/destroyer of the the galaxy!" thing isn't very Trek. Its sorta BSG and is right up STDs alley. I think THEY have already encountered a couple of universe-level threats never mind galaxy level.

Even the Q had to come up with some hamfisted method to destroy humanity.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Of course, everything the BQ is in after FC is a mess. Thanks, Voyager.
Agreed. I have no problem with the Borg Queen in First Contact. Though my reason is different from yours: she only arose once they were back in time and cut off from the rest of the Collective and only had minimal Drones. We literally see her being created in front of us.

So it makes sense to me that she's not something that normally there. She's there because of this isolated situation. With so few Drones, the Borg hive mind might not be as strong. Having a single leader to process everything though, while a weak point, might be necessary for their goal of assimilating so many people, while preventing them from being able to overpower the hive mind.

Sure, she says she's always been there. But we saw her being formed. So she must mean metaphorically or just running in the Hive.

I've also had the fan theory that, similar to keeping Loqutus an individual, having an individual is sometimes seen as necessary to help make assimilation smoother, particularly in species that seem to have something the Borg don't understand. (Pre-Locutus, the ability to jump to a place in the Galaxy and jump away. Afterwards, the ability to shut down their own systems.) Locutus was to help encourage voluntary surrender of humanity. The Borg Queen was so she could directly interact with Data, someone they needed to convince to be assimilated.

That last part would work with the Borg Queen in Voyager, saying Seven needed to be convinced. But she took everything so personally, and had a specific vendetta against Janeway that it just didn't work.

I'm curious to see how Janeway taking out the Queen at the Borg Hub changes things, though. We saw that Queen being constructed, and it was back to the original Alice Kruge model. Hopefully they don't make it where it took out the entire Borg. It should have had massive damage, spreading out, but further away Cubes should have had time to disconnect.

Last edited by BigT; 07-25-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I was concerned this new show would be dark & depressing. That seems like the trend for Trek these days.

I want to see Trek like it was done in TNG. A show that focused on adventure and exploration.

If you want classic Trek like on TNG, check out The Orville. Seth MacFarlane gets it pretty close and he even has many Trek alumni as part of the show.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I don't get how its Data. or B4 (even with Datas engrams) if thats B4s body we see dissasembled .

I guess it ciuld be Data in B4 and something happened where Data demanded he be disassembled....or it could be Lore.
I saw an interview with the cast of Picard on Youtube, and Spiner confirms that he will be playing Data and that the droid in the drawer is B4.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:35 AM

I've only seen bits and pieces of Voyager. Did Seven of Nine seem more "human" in the trailer than normal?
Old 07-25-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I've only seen bits and pieces of Voyager. Did Seven of Nine seem more "human" in the trailer than normal?
By my memory, yes. But IIRC, she gradually got more "human" over the course of the Voyager, as well (though I didn't watch much of the last season or two).
Old 07-25-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Agreed. I have no problem with the Borg Queen in First Contact. Though my reason is different from yours: she only arose once they were back in time and cut off from the rest of the Collective and only had minimal Drones. We literally see her being created in front of us.

So it makes sense to me that she's not something that normally there. She's there because of this isolated situation. With so few Drones, the Borg hive mind might not be as strong. Having a single leader to process everything though, while a weak point, might be necessary for their goal of assimilating so many people, while preventing them from being able to overpower the hive mind.
I like your theory, too.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:34 AM

I always assumed that she was just a specialized Borg-Data interface. The collective created her to mess with his head, nothing more.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:53 AM

A.) The trailer for Picard has me really interested.

B.) I've never watched The Orville but the comments here have me interested. I see I can stream Season 2 online from Fox but it does not appear Season 1 is available there and other sites are charging (i.e. Amazon Prime). Do I have to watch Season 1 to follow Season 2?
Old 07-25-2019, 12:03 PM

The Orville is largely episodic so you don't need to watch season 1. Be advised that the first couple episodes of season 2 are rather dreadful.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:57 PM
BANNED

My question is how did Patrick Stewart and/or the show get insurance based on Stewart’s health? The guy is or will be 79 years old. 79. Actually Stewart has exceeded the life expectancy of males in first world nations.

Even if Patrick Stewart is healthy and lives to be 99, there is still the case that people that age get tired easily. Don’t know how many hours a day or week will be required of his services for the show, but he is the title character. I’m sorry but most eighty year old men wake up early, and have the sleep pattern of children, sleep after lunch and go to bed by nine.

It also seems weird that someone of Patrick Stewart’s wealth (remember he did those comic book movies and other stuff) would want to do a show at his age. I’m sorry, but when I am freaking eighty years old, I know it will soon be curtains on me and I wouldn’t be working. But that’s me.

I have hopes for the show.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dongyang2016 View Post
It also seems weird that someone of Patrick Stewart’s wealth (remember he did those comic book movies and other stuff) would want to do a show at his age. I’m sorry, but when I am freaking eighty years old, I know it will soon be curtains on me and I wouldn’t be working. But that’s me.

Most 80 year old people aren't just sitting around expecting to keel over dead any second.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
My question is how did Patrick Stewart and/or the show get insurance based on Stewart’s health? The guy is or will be 79 years old. 79. Actually Stewart has exceeded the life expectancy of males in first world nations.

Even if Patrick Stewart is healthy and lives to be 99, there is still the case that people that age get tired easily. Don’t know how many hours a day or week will be required of his services for the show, but he is the title character. I’m sorry but most eighty year old men wake up early, and have the sleep pattern of children, sleep after lunch and go to bed by nine.

But 79 is fairly young for hoo-mans in the 24th century.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Completion insurers will require a physical for all main actors, so rest assured he has been thoroughly poked and prodded. Just because he's old doesn't necessarily mean he's unhealthy. And we have no idea how much the show will focus on him. It may be more of an ensemble than we are imagining from the trailer.

Quote:
He is a guy who genuinely loves acting, and has a deep appreciation for the character and a genuine affection for the fans. Lots of people who really enjoy their jobs end up working until they drop. By comparison, William Shatner (who is certainly not in as good shape as Stewart) was acting full time on TV well into his 80s.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
7 had mellowed a lot by the final season. A romance with Chakotay was just beginning. I can't remember if she was making sarcastic jokes yet. I can see her gradually becoming more human as time went on.

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-25-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
Merged threads.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:59 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
...If they bring back much of the cast of TNG for anything but brief cameos I'm going to feel very, very stabby though. Worf and O'Brien get exceptions.
In at least some of the official novels set after Star Trek: Nemesis, Worf
SPOILER:
becomes Picard's First Officer aboard the Enterprise-E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
...I've never watched The Orville.... Do I have to watch Season 1 to follow Season 2?
I would strongly recommend you watch S1 before watching S2. There's a lot of important backstory and setup that will help S2 make more sense. If you can't find it online, maybe buy the DVDs or borrow 'em from your local library?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
7 had mellowed a lot by the final season. A romance with Chakotay was just beginning. I can't remember if she was making sarcastic jokes yet. I can see her gradually becoming more human as time went on.
Agreed. By the end of VGR she was much looser and far more human than Borg, although she still had some Borg implants that couldn't be removed.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post

I would strongly recommend you watch S1 before watching S2. There's a lot of important backstory and setup that will help S2 make more sense. If you can't find it online, maybe buy the DVDs or borrow 'em from your local library?

You can also find The Orville (both seasons) on iTunes.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Life expectancy at birth in the US is less than 79 years. But the life expectancy of an average 79-year old man is almost 9 years. And that's the average American 79-year old man.

Last edited by scr4; 07-25-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
The whole "Savior/destroyer of the the galaxy!" thing isn't very Trek. Its sorta BSG and is right up STDs alley. I think THEY have already encountered a couple of universe-level threats never mind galaxy level.

Even the Q had to come up with some hamfisted method to destroy humanity.
Piggy backing my own comment to point out weird it is that the first eps of TNG, DS9 and VOY all featured God-Like/super powerful aliens.

TNG is especially weird. Our very first ep in nearly 20 years and BAM HUMANITY IS ON TRIAL!!!
Old 07-26-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
The Orville is largely episodic so you don't need to watch season 1. Be advised that the first couple episodes of season 2 are rather dreadful.
The first couple episodes of season 1 are also dreadful. Once a season hits its stride, though, there are some absolute gems.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
"This facility has gone 5843 days without an assimilation."

That bodes well.
That's almost sixteen earth years. Why are they still bothering to count by this point?
Old 07-26-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
The first couple episodes of season 1 are also dreadful. Once a season hits its stride, though, there are some absolute gems.
Especially their take on Best of Both Worlds. I expected it to be stupid, and it was one of the best of either season.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:49 AM

Possibility;

1. That Borg cube is the remnants of the one defeated by Picard and they're de-borging the remaining Borg slowly and tearing it apart for technology and resources.

2. It's a completely different cube, same results.

Theory that the woman in question is the former Borg queen/Unimatrix adjunct (per 7 of 9) of the cube, but I guess we'd have to see if she's all biological or part machine, ala the other Borg Queen.

I could see that there might still be some danger of re-assimilation if they're taking Borg off of it slowly and they get loose in the facility.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:26 PM

Interest piqued. I actually got goosebumps from that trailer. And I thought my Trekker tendencies died when they made STD.

We won't pay for CBS All Access, but we will find a way to watch at least the first few episodes.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Yes, very much so, and I'm pretty sure intentionally. It was almost like Generations showing a clip of Data with his emotion chip. The Seven fans I saw definitely noticed.

Seven wasn't exactly emotionless, but she was very restrained, so much so that she never tripped a Borg safety device that would shut down drones that got too emotional. They didn't discover she still had this until near the end of Season 7. And even after it was removed, it wasn't like she suddenly changed in personality--she had to willingly explore being more emotional.

So the change was set up in near the end of Voyager, and she was letting loose a bit more there, but her appearance here seems to be a step beyond, showing how much she's grown and changed.

Though her sarcastic wit is something she had for a while: it just was much more dry and less animated. It still sounds like Seven--just more free.

Last edited by BigT; 07-27-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Yes, very much so, and I'm pretty sure intentionally. It was almost like Generations showing a clip of Data with his emotion chip. The Seven fans I saw definitely noticed.

Seven wasn't exactly emotionless, but she was very restrained, so much so that she never tripped a Borg safety device that would shut down drones that got too emotional. They didn't discover she still had this until near the end of Season 7. And even after it was removed, it wasn't like she suddenly changed in personality--she had to willingly explore being more emotional.

So the change was set up in near the end of Voyager, and she was letting loose a bit more there, but her appearance here seems to be a step beyond, showing how much she's grown and changed.

Though her sarcastic wit is something she had for a while: it just was much more dry and less animated. It still sounds like Seven--just more free.

She wore her hair down in the trailer too. I remember Seven always having her hair pinned up.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
In at least some of the official novels set after Star Trek: Nemesis, Worf
SPOILER:
becomes Picard's First Officer aboard the Enterprise-E.
Also,

SPOILER:
Worf takes custody of Data's cat, Spot, and comes to appreciate Spot as a great hunter.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:13 AM

If this will be another Borg conflict.

The Federation needs to bring in the expert, Janeway.

The Voyager finale indicated the crew made it home after decades of travel. Janeway's unique experiences with the Borg allowed the Federation to develop new shields, weapons, and tactics. Giving the Federation a decent chance against the Borg.

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-28-2019 at 09:15 AM.