Old 07-20-2019, 03:38 PM

Brandon Routh to return to his "Superman" role in CW's Arrow-verse

It's been revealed that Routh, who starred in 2006's Superman Returns, will once again be donning the familiar blue and red outfit for the CW's upcoming Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover. He and Tyler Hoechlin, the Arrow-verse's reigning Man of Steel, will play Superman in two different timelines.

Routh also plays Ray Palmer/The Atom on DC's Legends of Tomorrow on the CW.

Quote:
Titled “Crisis on Infinite Earths,” the upcoming mega-crossover will unite the entire Arrowverse series franchise – Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow and Batwoman – in a five-episode epic that will span two quarters, with three episodes airing in December and the two concluding installments debuting in January.
https://deadline.com/2019/07/tyler-h...cw-1202649053/
Old 08-01-2019, 12:55 AM

Bumping this for another cast addition:

It has been announced that Burt Ward will appear in the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover. It hasn't been announced which character Ward, who played Dick Grayson/Robin the Boy Wonder in the 1966 Batman TV series, movie, and assorted spinoffs will play. It's been speculated he could simply play a retired Robin in his 70s. Or he could play loyal butler Alfred Pennyworth. It's also likely he could play Gotham City police commissioner James Gordon.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/io9.giz...1836562094/amp
Old 08-01-2019, 08:41 AM

There's a rumor that Tom Welling is going to appear as well as Linda Carter.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

God, I generally dislike television - and hate the way DC has continued to recycle Crisis - but the simple fact is that Legends of Tomorrow is one of the best, most bonkers things ever to appear on television.

And Routh was actually very good as Superman. It's not his fault that Singer didn't have a real handle on the character and script. Routh did his job and did it well.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:19 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
I'd first read this as "Tom Welling is going to appear as Lynda Carter."
Old 08-01-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
I'd first read this as "Tom Welling is going to appear as Lynda Carter."
You're not the only one. Hey, it's early.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:36 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Lynda Carter has already been a reoccurring guest on Supergirl so that wouldn’t be much of a story. It gets interesting if she plays Wonder Woman
Old 08-01-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
God, I generally dislike television - and hate the way DC has continued to recycle Crisis - but the simple fact is that Legends of Tomorrow is one of the best, most bonkers things ever to appear on television.

And Routh was actually very good as Superman. It's not his fault that Singer didn't have a real handle on the character and script. Routh did his job and did it well.
I mostly blame Kate Bosworth, who was particularly unconvincing as Lois Lane, especially as she was supposed to be following the Margot Kidder version. All the other recent Loises - Amy Adams, Elizabeth Tulloch - have had great chemistry with their co-leads. Kate Bosworth, not so much.

ETA: Agreed on Legends.

Last edited by Terminus Est; 08-01-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
I mostly blame Kate Bosworth, who was particularly unconvincing as Lois Lane, especially as she was supposed to be following the Margot Kidder version. All the other recent Loises - Amy Adams, Elizabeth Tulloch - have had great chemistry with their co-leads. Kate Bosworth, not so much.
Wasn't that partly intentional - she was supposed to have moved on, and made a new life with Cyclops.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:52 AM

Yeah but she didn't have any chemistry with the other guy either nor with the kid who was supposed to be her son.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:16 PM

More casting news:

Kevin Conroy has been added to the star-studded cast. Conroy, who is best known as the voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman in the animated Batman series will play a future version of Bruce Wayne.

Also, Black Lightning, who had his own CW show, but is not part of the Arrowverse, has been confirmed to appear in the crossover.

https://news.avclub.com/best-onscree...the-1836951086
Old 08-04-2019, 02:52 PM

Quick, who's not in this crossover?

Waiting to hear that Mark Hamill is playing a retired Joker (he's "sane", but then The Trickster starts showing up...)

Also watching for Louie Anderson as Bouncing Boy, Justin Bieber (and Kate McKinnon playing Justin Bieber) as the Wonder Twins, and Danny DeVito as Bat-Mite. Which of course leads to "The Dark Mite Returns", directed by Tim Burton.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Quick, who's not in this crossover?

Waiting to hear that Mark Hamill is playing a retired Joker (he's "sane", but then The Trickster starts showing up...)

Also watching for Louie Anderson as Bouncing Boy, Justin Bieber (and Kate McKinnon playing Justin Bieber) as the Wonder Twins, and Danny DeVito as Bat-Mite. Which of course leads to "The Dark Mite Returns", directed by Tim Burton.
Hamill's already appeared in The Flash as the original Trickster, serving life in prison (having been caught in the first Flash series from twenty years ago). Certain aspects of The Flash's timeline don't bear much thinking about.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
Hamill's already appeared in The Flash as the original Trickster, serving life in prison (having been caught in the first Flash series from twenty years ago). Certain aspects of The Flash's timeline don't bear much thinking about.
Not quite. In the Flash (1990) universe Mark Hamill played a young-ish Trickster who battles the 1990 Flash and is eventually defeated by him. In the 2015 Flash, Mark Hamill plays an old-ish Trickster who committed crimes in the 1990s and was caught by the police, who then escapes prison in the 2015 time frame and battles the Flash.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

With Kevin Conroy playing an older Bruce Wayne/ Batman, I wonder if there is also going to be a Terry McGinnis Batman?
Old 08-06-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
No Lynda Carter, alas, but the producers are looking to cast a Smallville actor.

Quote:
Producers would have liked also Lynda Carter to once again play the role of Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, but (Marc) Guggenheim confessed that she won’t likely reprise.

"I had conversations with DC and Warner Bros. and based on those conversations, I don’t think it’s going to be able to happen,” the Arrowverse producer stated.
https://www.superherohype.com/comics...ille-character
Old 08-06-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

So, the premise of this is that all of the various screen versions of DC characters are "real", just on different worlds (which are, of course, now colliding)?
Old 08-06-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
So, the premise of this is that all of the various screen versions of DC characters are "real", just on different worlds (which are, of course, now colliding)?
Essentially yes, for certain values of "screen." I don't think they're be any tie-in to the DC Movie Universe. This is already set up in the CW shows. Arrow, Flash, and LoT are on one Earth. Supergirl is on another.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

So what cameos, if any, do they have lined up from Lois and Clark?
Old 08-06-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
So what cameos, if any, do they have lined up from Lois and Clark?
Dean Cain is already playing Supergirl's adoptive father.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
Dean Cain is already playing Supergirl's adoptive father.
He's been MIA for a while.

Teri Hatcher had a substantial role as Mon-el's mother (along with Kevin Sorbo as his father). Both characters were killed off.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:02 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Not quite. In the Flash (1990) universe Mark Hamill played a young-ish Trickster who battles the 1990 Flash and is eventually defeated by him. In the 2015 Flash, Mark Hamill plays an old-ish Trickster who committed crimes in the 1990s and was caught by the police, who then escapes prison in the 2015 time frame and battles the Flash.
And Corinne Bohrer played Trickster’s wife/Prank in both versions.

Quote:
Apparently Brandon Routh will be playing a different Superman than who he played in the movie. He is speculated to play Kingdom Come Superman. I’m not a DC comic guy so I had to look up what that meant.

Last edited by Loach; 08-06-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:31 PM

He was definitely playing "Christopher Reeve" Superman in Superman Returns. Wish they could work that in.
He doesn't seem old 'n' gritty enough for Kingdom Come Supes.

ETA:If they'll cast a Smallville character, why not take the best actor in that (or almost any other show): Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor.

Aw, shucks...

Last edited by digs; 08-06-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:42 PM

Tom Welling hints that he's going to be appearing.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
It's been confirmed. Welling and Erica Durance will both return as Clark Kent and Lois Lane. Durance, of course, has also played Kara's mother, Alura, on Supergirl.

Now there may be a fourth Superman appearing. The CW is supposedly in talks with Dean Cain to come back as Superman from Lois and Clark. Cain, of course, is a Supergirl alumnus, having previously played Jeremiah Danvers, Kara's foster father and Alex's biological father.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/cris...urth-superman/

If they can get Dean Cain, I'd like to see Teri Hatcher also come back as Lois Lane, since she previously played Mon-El's mother, Rhea.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
ETA:If they'll cast a Smallville character, why not take the best actor in that (or almost any other show): Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor.
If they get Rosenbaum, they should have him play a version of Flash.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:35 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

I can almost guarantee that Allison Mack will not be appearing.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:59 PM

Meanwhile, back at the farm: https://i.redd.it/6v6f6eww2zo31.jpg
Old 09-29-2019, 08:24 AM

Here's a first look at Brandon Routh as Kingdom Come Superman in Crisis on Infinite Earths:

https://geektyrant.com/news/first-lo...nfinite-earths
Old 09-29-2019, 08:39 AM

Lynda Carter may be playing Wonder Woman again.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Here's a first look at Brandon Routh as Kingdom Come Superman in Crisis on Infinite Earths:

https://geektyrant.com/news/first-lo...nfinite-earths
Buh. I hope they do a better job of whitening his hair in the actual show.

None of the surviving live action Superman actors are actually in the right age range to play a convincing KC Superman (Reeve would be the right age, if he'd remained healthy and alive), not even Dean Cain (the oldest one who's still alive, in his early 50s), so I'm not sure it was the best choice to include him, and cast someone who'd played Superman before, but... If they're going to do it anyway, I really hope it ends up looking less like a Halloween costume.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
None of the surviving live action Superman actors are actually in the right age range to play a convincing KC Superman (Reeve would be the right age, if he'd remained healthy and alive), not even Dean Cain (the oldest one who's still alive, in his early 50s)
How do you figure? I thought KC was maybe 20-25 years from ‘now’ — which adds up to the exact timetable of a thirtyish Cain portraying Superman in the ‘90s, but means that Reeve’s Superman would’ve passed forty more than 25 years ago?

(That said: isn’t the big guy supposed to age, y’know, inhumanly gracefully?)
Old 09-29-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
One can hope. AIUI, D.C. Comics has control of the characters it allows to be shown on television, and with Wonder Woman 1984 set to premiere in 2020, they may not want WW in a TV production at this time.

As for Michael Rosenbaum playing Lex Luthor, he turned down the CW's offer. As he tweeted several days ago:

Quote:
I’ll just be straight up about this. WB called my agents Friday afternoon when I was in Florida visiting my grandfather in a nursing home. Their offer: No Script. No idea what I’m doing. No idea when I’m shooting. Basically no money. And the real kick in the ass “We have to know now.” My simple answer was “Pass.” I think you can understand why.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
How do you figure? I thought KC was maybe 20-25 years from ‘now’ — which adds up to the exact timetable of a thirtyish Cain portraying Superman in the ‘90s, but means that Reeve’s Superman would’ve passed forty more than 25 years ago?
Kingdom Come was set in 2020, and released in 1996, so 24.

And, traditionally post-Crisis (save for the period between the New 52 and Rebirth), Superman is in his early-mid-30s in the 'present'...so Cain, I suppose isn't too much younger, but still lacks the ground down quality that tends to age KC Supes.

It's notable that when the Justice Society Superman was reintroduced after Infinite Crisis, he was redesigned to be mistakable for KC Superman, and was of a kind with the other JS members of the same vintage (all of them had reasons why they didn't age as much as they should have, but all of them were still clearly elderly).
Old 09-29-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Kingdom Come was set in 2020, and released in 1996, so 24.

And, traditionally post-Crisis (save for the period between the New 52 and Rebirth), Superman is in his early-mid-30s in the 'present'...so Cain, I suppose isn't too much younger,
Heh. Ironically, since Cain was actually playing Superman when KC came out in 1996, it’s almost impossible to get any closer to being the right age when 2020 arrives mere months from now (except, since Cain was already playing Superman in 1995, you could also argue that he’s thus already the right age in 2019).
Old 09-29-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
Hah... another great option for a double-take, as Carter played the President in Supergirl...
Old 09-29-2019, 03:51 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
As for Michael Rosenbaum playing Lex Luthor, he turned down the CW's offer. As he tweeted several days ago:
Sorry Michael no I can’t understand why. It’s a bone thrown to your fans. With the number of guests most will be little more than a cameo. A couple of minutes of screen time for your fans is not a lot to ask.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:30 AM

For free AND no info? I think it is too much to ask, actually.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:26 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Also demanding an immediate answer while he was visiting his father in a nursing home? I would have told them to pound sand, too.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:44 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
For free AND no info? I think it is too much to ask, actually.
"Not much pay" isn't "free," but I agree he's got no obligation to do work he doesn't want to do "for the fans."
Old 09-30-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Sorry Michael no I can’t understand why. It’s a bone thrown to your fans. With the number of guests most will be little more than a cameo. A couple of minutes of screen time for your fans is not a lot to ask.
Boy, a mega-corporation can apparently get away with anything by saying it's "for your fans." We're not going to pay you the rate you think you should get. Plus, we're not going to tell you anything about it. Answer now!!!!!

I wonder if only actors are required to yield under such circumstances. How about in your profession?
Old 09-30-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile, back at the farm: https://i.redd.it/6v6f6eww2zo31.jpg
New photo: Tom Welling, Erica Durance, and Tyler Hoechlin on the Kent family farm.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/30/crisis-...rk-lois-photo/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EFu1Iy6W...g&name=900x900
Old 09-30-2019, 05:11 PM

Looks like Tom's been hitting the gym since he finished the last season of Lucifer. That's... probably a good thing.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:06 PM

Oh dear Og. Smallville version, Kingdom Come version, Arrowverse version, Lois and Clark version...I'm getting a headache. I thought the point of the 1985 Crisis On Infinite Earths was to do away with this nonsense.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:10 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Boy, a mega-corporation can apparently get away with anything by saying it's "for your fans." We're not going to pay you the rate you think you should get. Plus, we're not going to tell you anything about it. Answer now!!!!!

I wonder if only actors are required to yield under such circumstances. How about in your profession?
If he is aware at all of what the CW DC shows are like he could figure out what the role would be like. It’s a small part in a large ensemble. A bunch of other well known actors had no problem with it but he’s too big for it. Yeah I’m not feeling it.

Last edited by Loach; 09-30-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
New photo: Tom Welling, Erica Durance, and Tyler Hoechlin on the Kent family farm.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/30/crisis-...rk-lois-photo/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EFu1Iy6W...g&name=900x900
That's Elizabeth Tulloch, the other Lois.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
That's Elizabeth Tulloch, the other Lois.
Yes, my mistake.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Oh dear Og. Smallville version, Kingdom Come version, Arrowverse version, Lois and Clark version...I'm getting a headache. I thought the point of the 1985 Crisis On Infinite Earths was to do away with this nonsense.
No Lois and Clark yet. Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher haven't been announced as of this time.

And yes, that's the point, to merge all of the alternate universes and clean things up. The crossover is merely a retelling of the 1985 story. You can't have a resolution without showing the crisis.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
If he is aware at all of what the CW DC shows are like he could figure out what the role would be like. It’s a small part in a large ensemble. A bunch of other well known actors had no problem with it but he’s too big for it. Yeah I’m not feeling it.
Do you accept jobs under such terms? By vague assumptions based on what you could figure out? Studios are well known for their fairness in dealing with actors’ contracts, right? “For the fans” is an outrageous justification for blindly giving up a portion of your professional life under these circumstances. It gives s megacorporation ridiculous control over a contract negotiation thatit already has tremendous advantages in.

Last edited by Acsenray; 10-01-2019 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Do you accept jobs under such terms? By vague assumptions based on what you could figure out? Studios are well known for their fairness in dealing with actors’ contracts, right? “For the fans” is an outrageous justification for blindly giving up a portion of your professional life under these circumstances. It gives s megacorporation ridiculous control over a contract negotiation thatit already has tremendous advantages in.
For that analogy to make sense, I would have to have a very flexible schedule, and the job would have to be one that I have repeatedly said I loved. The stint would have to be for a short amount of time, as part of celebrating something I was proud to be a part of.I'd have to be able to afford it, and there would have to be a whole lot of people who would be made happier if I did it.

In those circumstances, HELL YES I WOULD DO IT! Why wouldn't I? I get to do something I enjoy, get paid somewhat for it, and make a lot of people happy. I wouldn't see it as some sort of power negotiation with my potential employer. That way of looking at things seems bizarre to me. I hate the idea of life being some sort of contest.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not mad at the guy. I'm just a bit disappointed, and I question if he really doesn't want to resume the role. I just find the explanation wanting, and think Loach's expectations are not as outlandish as the responses make it seem.

Last edited by BigT; 10-01-2019 at 02:57 PM.