Old 07-20-2019, 08:16 PM

I made an ecosphere.

I really enjoy watching videos of people making ecospheres in jars and have wanted to make one for quite a long time and decided to finally do it. I bought a 2 liter jar of pickles in preparation and have been eating lots and lots of pickles so I can use the jar.

Today I headed off into the woods where I knew there was a pond and scooped up dirt, debris and water in a bucket and then headed back out to the car. It was about a half mile walk and the bucket got pretty heavy so I carried it on my shoulder.

Got home and set it all up in the backyard. Now it's here, beside me, on my desk. It should take about 24 hours for it to all settle so it's still very murky. However - I just noticed something large (about 1 inch) moving around in there. It really creeped me out at first but now I think it's pretty cool!

Ohh! There's two of them moving around. They literally just look like bits of sticks moving around. I can't see any legs or a body, just a moving stick. Hopefully tomorrow, when it's a bit more clear, I'll be able to see them better.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:42 PM

I can't wait to see what you've got! When it's clear, will you post pictures?
Old 07-20-2019, 08:56 PM

Sure! Here it is a few hours ago when I first set it up:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/568215...posted-public/

The thing that creeps me out about the little stick things is that my bare hands were digging in the mud and then, again, when putting everything into the jar. I got a better look at one and I think it actually is a stick with a thing living inside it.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:09 PM

Hey! You should have warned us about the gratuitous booby shot!

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 07-20-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Hey! You should have warned us about the gratuitous booby shot!
Omg. For an instant I thought "wait - is there a reflection of me in the jar???". Then I remembered. That's a great photo. Boobies are one of my favourites!
Old 07-20-2019, 09:33 PM

^ Uh...phrasing?

Do you have to poke holes in the lid, like we used to do for lightning bugs?
Old 07-20-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
^ Uh...phrasing?

Do you have to poke holes in the lid, like we used to do for lightning bugs?
No, it's a closed ecosystem. This guy's channel gives you a good idea of what it is:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0X...gXm9NtQ/videos
Old 07-20-2019, 09:44 PM

Cool!

Once I finish moving this %$#^& household of mine down the road a spell, I'll have more time to explore this.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 07-20-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Cool!

Once I finish moving this %$#^& household of mine down the road a spell, I'll have more time to explore this.

Here is the FAQ for the "official" Ecospheres. (Getting a homemade one to survive is probably going to take a very large amount of trial and error.)
Old 07-20-2019, 10:17 PM

I just spent a half-hour watching that guy's videos. Please keep us updated!
Old 07-21-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyGimpy View Post
The thing that creeps me out about the little stick things is that my bare hands were digging in the mud and then, again, when putting everything into the jar. I got a better look at one and I think it actually is a stick with a thing living inside it.
Very cool project.

Heh, we live in the sticks.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:44 AM

I made an ecosphere.

Do you have a microscope/camera so you can post photos of the water creatures, especially the stick monsters?
Old 07-21-2019, 10:42 AM

It's still too cloudy to see much of anything today. I may dump out half the water and fill it with clear water from the river. I can see some teeny tiny snails about the size of the tip of a pen. But I can only see them because they're right on the side of the jar. I also saw a nematode, a mosquito larvae and some other thing swimming around.

It's a little bit gross. I think I went too swampy and should have gone with the clearer water. I may take this one back, dump it out and try again with fresher water. I also feel a little bad for the stick guys.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:53 AM

I'd kinda like to try this, but I'd feel bad for the things like mayflies- spend however many months growing, getting ready for their one big day in the sun, triumphantly metamorphose, stretch out their shiny new wings and *bump*... jar lid.

Did you put any plants in yours?
Old 07-21-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
I'd kinda like to try this, but I'd feel bad for the things like mayflies- spend however many months growing, getting ready for their one big day in the sun, triumphantly metamorphose, stretch out their shiny new wings and *bump*... jar lid.

Did you put any plants in yours?
Right? That's how I feel, too. I was looking for things like Daphnia, Planaria, Copepods and Hydra. I don't want to keep "stick things" and mayflies in a tiny jar.

I looked for suitable plants but didn't see any. There's an outdoor fishpond store just down the road so I think I'll pop over there and get a plant or two. And actually, now that I think about it, I may just ask if I can scoop a bit of their pond water...
Old 07-21-2019, 06:05 PM

Is a random scoop out of a pond really going to produce a functioning system?

Even the ones in the FAQ link, which appear to be made up of a carefully chosen combination of species, according to the link usually only survive for two or three years.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:46 PM

Well it got quite warm in the house today while I was at work - 29c/85f and everything in the ecosphere died...

I did find out what the stick things were though, because their dead bodies were floating on the top of the water. Some sort of worm thing (I assume some sort of larvae) about an inch long. And yes, they were living in hollow sticks and carrying around their houses like hermit crabs. Very interesting and I feel like a big jerk for taking them out of their home only to kill them in mine.

So that's that.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:57 PM

You made a coffin.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Well it got quite warm in the house today while I was at work - 29c/85f and everything in the ecosphere died...

I did find out what the stick things were though, because their dead bodies were floating on the top of the water. Some sort of worm thing (I assume some sort of larvae) about an inch long. And yes, they were living in hollow sticks and carrying around their houses like hermit crabs. Very interesting and I feel like a big jerk for taking them out of their home only to kill them in mine.

So that's that.
Sounds like Caddis Fly Larvae, they build a "shell" of sticks
Old 07-23-2019, 04:27 AM

Oh, good, I was really hoping someone could come through with a potential ID for those!

I think for long(er) term success, you need a balance among organisms that produce oxygen, and those that produce carbon dioxide. The one I bought as a gift years ago - that went on to continue for two or three years - had a couple of teensy shrimp and a ball of green algae.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
Sounds like Caddis Fly Larvae, they build a "shell" of sticks
I think you're probably right. This photo looks a lot like their little stick house.:

https://www.naturepl.com/stock-photo...e01531458.html
Old 07-23-2019, 10:26 AM

The closest I’ve come to a self sustaining closed environment was when I kept Bettas, I had a 20 Long aquarium with a heater, a fluorescent shop light with gardening bulbs and some Water Lettuce plants and a single male Betta, no filtration was needed, as the water lettuce plants are extremely effective nutrient sponges, nitrogenous wastes were always zero, I actually had to add nitrogen to keep the plants healthy

Here’s a few pics;
Water lettuce on the right, before it took over the tank;
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RpXXE3fG5XbwVBg37

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iYqU6ZtWxukB4HR86
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ArtuoGxH8twBAMv77

Hmm, maybe I should start the tank up again....
Old 07-23-2019, 10:45 AM

MacTech that's cool! Did you thin out the water lettuce? I think the system would easily have supported more fish. A goldfish or too would have helped you thin out the lettuce on their own.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:07 AM

Yes, every other week, it was quite prolific, I started with three plants about the size of a half dollar....
Old 07-23-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, every other week, it was quite prolific, I started with three plants about the size of a half dollar....
We have a farm pond (3/4 acre) that had a few dozen feeder goldfish dumped in 25 years ago and a few koi added every so often. Even with the kingfishers and herons eating occasional fish, there is still a big school.

My gf has purchased pond fish food for them that we toss in from time to time. I've noticed that if we feed the fish the plant matter will begin to over proliferate.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:08 PM

Yeah, goldfish/Koi and most carp produce a LOT of ammonia compounds/waste, so the plants would have an abundance of nutrients...

I’d imagine they’d find the roots of water lettuce quite tasty, however I wouldn’t recommend putting it in any outdoor body of water, as it spreads rapidly and is extremely prolific, don’t want to introduce another invasive species to our outdoors...

It’s bad enough with the ball python/iguana/lion fish problem in Florida, no need to add another invasive....
Old 07-23-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
<snip> It’s bad enough with the ball python/iguana/lion fish problem in Florida, no need to add another invasive....
OMG! They got MacTech! The Sunshine State claims another victim!

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 07-23-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:21 PM

Floaty I found this guy on twitter who made a nano pond for his apartment. Is this the type of thing you would like to do? I have a number of other examples pinned, if you're interested. I'm going to do something similar on my deck after we move into our new house.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 07-23-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
OMG! They got MacTech! The Sunshine State claims another victim!
Nope, still up here in The Granite State, I’ve *read* about Florida’s invasive species problem though, of course the cynic in me sees the invasives problem as a mismarketed tourism opportunity....

“Come to sunny Florida, and be sure to take your *FREE* pet(s) with you when you leave!

Every tourist can take as many FREE iguanas, ball pythons, lionfish, nutria, and feral hogs as they want, in fact, take them *ALL*, they’re completely free!”

**no warranties or guarantees either express or implied, and absolutely NO returns, all captures are final!
Old 07-23-2019, 06:07 PM

Them nutria's good eatin'. If yer a 'gator!

It's closed now, but Ocala's Silver Spring Attraction had a gator display where the "guide" would suspend half a nutria over the "pen" to show how high a gator could jump. I couldn't decide which was more fascinating: the gator(s) jumping or the clean cut where they sawed the nutria in half with a band saw. YUM!
Old 07-23-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Floaty I found this guy on twitter who made a nano pond for his apartment. Is this the type of thing you would like to do? I have a number of other examples pinned, if you're interested. I'm going to do something similar on my deck after we move into our new house.
That's quite beautiful isn't it? I wonder if I could do something like that with my pickle jar. I always think when I'm rich I'm going to have a huge outdoor koi/frog/turtle pond and a huge indoor salt water aquarium and pay someone to do all the upkeep.

Last edited by FloatyGimpy; 07-23-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:08 PM

Semi-ecosphere take two!

I went out and bought a cheapo 2 gallon plastic tank. Went for a walk in the forest and found some gorgeous pieces of waterlogged wood and some nice rocks and gravel/sand. Then I went to the outdoor pond place and bought some plants and got lots of their water. I didn't get enough gravel/sand so I dug out some old fish gravel and used that for the bottom. There is a filter on it but I have it set to a slow drip so I don't think I have to worry about any critters - not that I've seen any yet. The aquarium came with LED lights which are good for the plants.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:45 PM

Oh, cool. Glad you're trying again! Keep us posted.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Semi-ecosphere take two!

I went out and bought a cheapo 2 gallon plastic tank. Went for a walk in the forest and found some gorgeous pieces of waterlogged wood and some nice rocks and gravel/sand. Then I went to the outdoor pond place and bought some plants and got lots of their water. I didn't get enough gravel/sand so I dug out some old fish gravel and used that for the bottom. There is a filter on it but I have it set to a slow drip so I don't think I have to worry about any critters - not that I've seen any yet. The aquarium came with LED lights which are good for the plants.

Looks like a great starting point, it's tempting me to fire up my aquarium again as well, once I recuperate from my ankle fracture...

If you're going to limit yourself to local fauna, you can try the following;

Snails;
Pond snails (Physa species)- little football shaped snails, less than .5" max, *EXTREMELY* prolific to the point of taking over the tank so be warned, lay tiny jello blobs of eggs *everywhere*

Ramshorn snails; Similar to pond snails, but the shell is vertical and coiled like a rams horn (hence the name) similar in size to pond snails, almost as prolific, occasionally breeds a reddish-shelled variant that are attractive)

Craw/Crayfish; only one in that tank, and even that would be pushing it, it would probably get stunted in there anyway, and would need to be fed anyway, negating the "ecosphere" concept.

Caddis/Damsel/Dragonfly larvae would be interesting, but would also need supplemental food as they are carnivorous and will eventually hatch into their adult forms

small freshwater shrimp would not be native to your area most likely, but would be a great addition, Cherry shrimp in particular are bright red, and breed prolifically in fresh water, but would also require water changes and filtration to eliminate waste, ghost shrimp are weak, and don't live long in aquaria, Amano shrimp are fascinating but breed in brackish water, Wood shrimp are amazing critters, filter feeders that need a far more specialized tank, and they grow big.

If I had that exact setup, i'd put in a simple filter, and turn it into a Cherry shrimp tank, in fact, I might just do something like that anyway, a cherry shrimp nano-tank would be a great setup
Old 10-08-2019, 11:21 PM

Info on cherry shrimp;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke6U_6fx5y0
Old 10-08-2019, 11:23 PM

I Was hoping this thread would get progressively more...concerned...in tone until eventually is was outright panic at the Horrors that escaped and are running amok...*sad*
Old 10-09-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Looks like a great starting point, it's tempting me to fire up my aquarium again as well, once I recuperate from my ankle fracture...

If you're going to limit yourself to local fauna, you can try the following;

Snails;
Pond snails (Physa species)- little football shaped snails, less than .5" max, *EXTREMELY* prolific to the point of taking over the tank so be warned, lay tiny jello blobs of eggs *everywhere*

Ramshorn snails; Similar to pond snails, but the shell is vertical and coiled like a rams horn (hence the name) similar in size to pond snails, almost as prolific, occasionally breeds a reddish-shelled variant that are attractive)

Craw/Crayfish; only one in that tank, and even that would be pushing it, it would probably get stunted in there anyway, and would need to be fed anyway, negating the "ecosphere" concept.

Caddis/Damsel/Dragonfly larvae would be interesting, but would also need supplemental food as they are carnivorous and will eventually hatch into their adult forms

small freshwater shrimp would not be native to your area most likely, but would be a great addition, Cherry shrimp in particular are bright red, and breed prolifically in fresh water, but would also require water changes and filtration to eliminate waste, ghost shrimp are weak, and don't live long in aquaria, Amano shrimp are fascinating but breed in brackish water, Wood shrimp are amazing critters, filter feeders that need a far more specialized tank, and they grow big.

If I had that exact setup, i'd put in a simple filter, and turn it into a Cherry shrimp tank, in fact, I might just do something like that anyway, a cherry shrimp nano-tank would be a great setup

I don't know yet what I want to do with it. It's so pretty! I had planned on having snails and such but they'll eat my lovely plants! The red plant is doing awesome and all the little white buds on it have opened into tiny white flowers. The moss on the wood is starting to produce oxygen. I'm going to try my hardest to just wait for a bit and let it establish before I add any critters. I think it's going to turn out to be a planted nano tank rather than an ecosphere.

Maybe a couple of Blue Velvet Shrimp...

Last edited by FloatyGimpy; 10-09-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:48 PM

Depending on how much light you have going into the tank, you can get some interesting plants for the shrimp...

some good low-to-medium light plants (1-3 Watts Per Gallon (WPG) are Java Fern and Java Moss, slow growing, but very hardy

Medium light (4-6 WPG) you can get some Marimo moss balls (a slow growing non-invasive algae ball, looks like a fuzzy green tribble), some dwarf chain swords and hardy Crypts, most plants do well at this range, but you may start to have algae issues if you don't keep the nutrients down (shrimp graze on the algae)

High light (7+ WPG), the really gorgeous and tricky plants like Glosso, a short leaved running plant, it looks like a grass lawn

planted tanks can get pretty addictive as well, once you start looking into things like CO2 injection, things start to get expensive and time consuming

Do a search for Takashi Amano, his planted tanks are utterly jaw-droppingly gorgeous
https://www.google.com/search?q=aman...h=570&dpr=1.15
Old 10-10-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."
Old 10-11-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Depending on how much light you have going into the tank, you can get some interesting plants for the shrimp...

some good low-to-medium light plants (1-3 Watts Per Gallon (WPG) are Java Fern and Java Moss, slow growing, but very hardy

Medium light (4-6 WPG) you can get some Marimo moss balls (a slow growing non-invasive algae ball, looks like a fuzzy green tribble), some dwarf chain swords and hardy Crypts, most plants do well at this range, but you may start to have algae issues if you don't keep the nutrients down (shrimp graze on the algae)

High light (7+ WPG), the really gorgeous and tricky plants like Glosso, a short leaved running plant, it looks like a grass lawn

planted tanks can get pretty addictive as well, once you start looking into things like CO2 injection, things start to get expensive and time consuming

Do a search for Takashi Amano, his planted tanks are utterly jaw-droppingly gorgeous
https://www.google.com/search?q=aman...h=570&dpr=1.15
His stuff is ridiculous. Like living art. I really like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ZWMGdKxJo

I've always liked the idea of a no filter, no co2 tank.

So far in my little tank I can see Daphnia, Paramecium and Planaria. The plants seem very happy. I find it very curious how something so simple can bring me such pleasure. It's just a container of water with some wood, rocks and plants in it. But it's almost like meditation to sit and watch it.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:57 PM

Oooohhhh I got a Hydra!
Old 10-12-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Oooohhhh I got a Hydra!
Sounds like a crazy animal. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
According to Hesiod, the Hydra was the offspring of Typhon and Echidna. It had poisonous breath and blood so virulent that even its scent was deadly. The Hydra possessed many heads, the exact number of which varies according to the source. Later versions of the Hydra story add a regeneration feature to the monster: for every head chopped off, the Hydra would regrow two heads. Heracles required the assistance of his nephew Iolaus to cut off all of the monster's heads and burn the neck using sword and fire.
Or maybe it's this Hydra:
Quote:
Biologists are especially interested in Hydra because of their regenerative ability – they do not appear to die of old age, or indeed to age at all.
Hydra undergoes morphallaxis (tissue regeneration) when injured or severed. Typically, Hydras will reproduce by just budding off a whole new individual, the bud will occur around two-thirds of the way down the body axis. When a Hydra is cut in half, each half will regenerate and form into a small Hydra; the "head" will regenerate a "foot" and the "foot" will regenerate a "head". This regeneration occurs without cell division. If the Hydra is sliced into many segments then the middle slices will form both a "head" and a "foot".
Old 10-15-2019, 07:31 PM

OOhhh I got a snail!

I went deep into the forest and plucked a moss-covered rock out of a creek bed and put it in the tank and now I have a snail. I don't actually think he was on the rock though. It isn't that big and I did rinse it off and pick off small twigs and such. I think I would have seen him. I'm guessing that he's been in there all along and I'm just now seeing him.

His name is Shelly.

The plants got too unruly so I had to trim them down a bit and now the Hydra is gone. I didn't trim the leaf he was on but I guess I disturbed him enough to dislodge him.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:15 PM

Shelly!:

Mossy rock: