Old 09-20-2019, 08:25 AM

US dopers, is Brown really such a generational talent that the Patriots would keep him come hell or high water?

Don’t follow NFL, but whenever it come on my sports feed, the it seems the Patriots **always** win anyway. They must have multiple guys like him if they are (checks Wiki), in the Super Bowl last three years and 4/5 and like every second year this decade and last...

They must be loaded like ManCity or Real Madrid....is he really that important to them.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:27 AM

The theory (approaching consensus?) among Boston sports reporters is that Belichick is hoping for a 19-0 season this year, which is why he wanted Brown. Given their pretty easy schedule, it's a reasonable theory.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
They must be loaded like ManCity or Real Madrid....is he really that important to them.
They were generally considered in the very top echelon of teams before they got AB. They don't really need him to have a good chance to win it all, but he's an undeniable asset on the field. IMO, they thought it was just as important to keep him from one of their chief (ha!) rivals as it was to sign him. And I do think Belichick would like to go 19-0 and this would help that.

But they can cut him today and still be #1 on the power rankings.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:50 AM

Please please please get this piece of garbage off my team.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFacts View Post
Please please please get this piece of garbage off my team.
When the Pittsburgh Steelers signed the dog killer dude, I actively supported the boycott of the team. I'd love to see an analysis of the economic impact (if any) such a move generates.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:05 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

They did trade Demaryius Thomas (another wide receiver) to the Jets last week, and I have to believe that they wouldn't have traded him away if they didn't have Brown.

But, yeah, they're still a pretty loaded team, including Julian Edelman and Josh Gordon at WR -- but, that said, Gordon is another risky case, and the odds of him running off the rails, behaviorally, before the season is out are probably pretty substantial.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
The Pats can either cut him or watch substantial chunks of their fanbase run away.
ha, you think so? A depressing number of people out there hold football above all else. as long as a guy can run, catch, throw, block, or tackle, he'll be excused for everything except maybe murder.

Last edited by jz78817; 09-20-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:06 AM

And Belichick walked out of today's press conference too.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:28 PM

Out of curiosity, I checked the threatening texts... the picture of the kids is out of line. (where'd he get it?)
Rest of it,one could almost say (if the aforesaid picture wasn't there) that it was an inarticulate attempt to tell his associates to inquire into finances of his accuser. Almost. Picture, damn no.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
The Pats can either cut him or watch substantial chunks of their fanbase run away.
I doubt it. A team that is a consistent Super Bowl contender will command the loyalty of huge numbers of fans. Any defection over the Brown issue is likely to be insignificant. In the 1990s, I think, it was said that Dallas residents would forgive almost any Cowboys behavior as long as the team gave them Super Bowl titles.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:15 PM

Browns released by the Pats, per Twitter:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1175140674628390913
Old 09-20-2019, 03:42 PM

Here's the Patriots statement:

Quote:
The New England Patriots are releasing Antonio Brown. We appreciate the hard work of many people over the past 11 days, but we feel that it is best to move in a different direction at this time.
Now we just have to wait and see if he gets put on the exempt list or if another team picks him up.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I checked the threatening texts... the picture of the kids is out of line. (where'd he get it?)
Her Instagram account.

Quote:
Rest of it,one could almost say (if the aforesaid picture wasn't there) that it was an inarticulate attempt to tell his associates to inquire into finances of his accuser. Almost. Picture, damn no.
But he sent the texts to HER. The only plausible interpretation is that it was meant as a threat.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:03 PM

As a Pats fan, I never wanted this jerk on the team to begin with, so I'm relieved. I can't believe Brady let him stay in his house. Why would he want this guy anywhere near his wife and kids?
Old 09-20-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
As a Pats fan, I never wanted this jerk on the team to begin with, so I'm relieved. I can't believe Brady let him stay in his house. Why would he want this guy anywhere near his wife and kids?
I was guessing that it’s not the same house his wife and kids live at. Between himself and Gisele I am sure they own multiple houses. I pictured Brady having a house relatively close to the stadium in Foxborough where he lives out of while training for games, and he might be letting Brown stay there.

Again, total and complete speculation on my part. Maybe he’s drinking his morning kale milkshake or whatever at the breakfast table next to his kids while trying to ignore Antonio staring over the table at his wife.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:15 PM

He's hurting his bottom line, right?

Do you think he snagged a jersey/helmet from each team?
Old 09-20-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
I think this was a house he had on the market and not his primary residence.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I pictured Brady having a house relatively close to the stadium in Foxborough where he lives out of while training for games, and he might be letting Brown stay there.
Their house in Brookline is a 30 minute drive from Gillette Stadium. I'm pretty sure he goes home there every night.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Their house in Brookline is a 30 minute drive from Gillette Stadium. I'm pretty sure he goes home there every night.
Yeah, that's 30 minutes if one drives, but I'm assuming at the end of the day Brady resolves into pure light and floats silently home across the ether. For him 12 minutes, tops.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
When the Pittsburgh Steelers signed the dog killer dude, I actively supported the boycott of the team. I'd love to see an analysis of the economic impact (if any) such a move generates.
Was it ok when they kept the rapist on their team?
Old 09-20-2019, 05:22 PM

I wonder how much money New England had to pay Brown to play in a single meaningless blowout against the Dolphins?

(I say “meaningless” because they absolutely didn’t need him for that.)
Old 09-20-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Iirc, it was the Eagles that signed Vick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Iirc, it was the Eagles that signed Vick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Vick signed a one-year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles on August 13, 2009

On August 25, 2015, Vick signed a one-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers worth $970,000
Old 09-20-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Vick signed a one-year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles on August 13, 2009

On August 25, 2015, Vick signed a one-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers worth $970,000
Vick was with the Eagles for five years (first as a backup then as a starter), and made it to the Pro Bowl in 2010. After Nick Foles won the starting QB job from Vick, he spent one year with the Jets and one with the Steelers, then retired.

Just in case people get confused about who Michael Vick played for.

Oh, and he was originally with the Atlanta Falcons, until his suspension following the dog abuse crime/scandal. When he retired, he officially retired as a Falcon. (He was technically a free agent at that point.)
Old 09-20-2019, 09:01 PM

Man, I can’t believe how quickly Tomlin lost control of the Patriots’ locker room.

Last edited by Airman Doors, USAF; 09-20-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
No, that wasn't ok, but the situations do not really compare. Rapelisberger was already signed to the team when the story broke and an investigation followed. The dog killer had been tried and convicted; there was never any question that he was a dog killer, yet the organization signed him. Kinda like if they'd tried to sign Jeffy Epstein to a contract before he "died".
Old 09-21-2019, 08:31 AM

He really is too stupid to live. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...midating-texts

I have to imagine his agent and attorneys had told him repeatedly to not contact this woman---change his phone number, make sure any texts or emails automatically get forwarded to his counsel, etc...and the stupid fuck keeps talking to her. Not only that, but threatens her to the point where her attorneys go to the League and they tell him to knock it the fuck off. Right after the Patriots, AKA 'The team you go to when you're obscenely talented, but no other team wants to put up with your shit', miraculously give him a decent contract. Good luck Antonio, handling this mess without a continuing revenue stream or a team to help you look out for your interests.

Couldn't happen to a better piece of filth. I like Hamlet's wishcasting of the future for this abuser of women. I'm sure he'll do it to another woman soon, and then he can enjoy prison.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
US dopers, is Brown really such a generational talent that the Patriots would keep him come hell or high water?

Don’t follow NFL, but whenever it come on my sports feed, the it seems the Patriots **always** win anyway. They must have multiple guys like him if they are (checks Wiki), in the Super Bowl last three years and 4/5 and like every second year this decade and last...

Talent wise, when he was with the Steelers, he was a top-3 WR in the league. In 2017, he was the best WR in football. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr/2017

Is he still, even w/o the drama? No, but physically, IMHO top-15 to 20. He is 31 though, and this isn't a game for old men. Well, other than quarterbacks and kickers.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Didn’t Randy Moss play for 3 teams one year? I remember that as being remarkable for a known NFL player. I’m sure it’s happened for some journeyman special teams guy. Someone will take yet another chance on AB, but this guy clearly doesn’t get it.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Talent wise, when he was with the Steelers, he was a top-3 WR in the league. In 2017, he was the best WR in football. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr/2017

Is he still, even w/o the drama? No, but physically, IMHO top-15 to 20. He is 31 though, and this isn't a game for old men. Well, other than quarterbacks and kickers.
Brown is still good at getting some separation from receivers (though he's lost a step) and catching balls in tight coverage (still very, very good at this). Where he's less good is at competing from play to play throughout an entire game and staying focused. The Pats let him go unceremoniously because he wasn't going to be a receiver that they leaned on; he was there to keep the defenders honest in defending against the entire defense. He's still good enough that you have to put your best DB on him, and the LBs and secondary has to know where he is at all time. Great distraction when he's in the game; just don't rely on him to carry your offense.

But in any event, the Pats decided the drama that comes with him isn't worth it.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
It's not okay for me. I can't wait until that prick retires.

(As I've said before, I don't know if the rape allegation is true or not, but I DO know he's an absolute prick.)
Old 09-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Didn’t Randy Moss play for 3 teams one year? I remember that as being remarkable for a known NFL player.
He did, in 2010. I think he'd worn out his welcome in New England, and was requesting a trade; the Patriots traded him to Minnesota after 4 games. After playing just 4 games for the Vikings, he criticized the coach and his teammates in a press conference, and the Vikings cut him. The Titans then picked him up, and he played there for the rest of the season.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
No, that wasn't ok, but the situations do not really compare. Rapelisberger was already signed to the team when the story broke and an investigation followed. The dog killer had been tried and convicted; there was never any question that he was a dog killer, yet the organization signed him. Kinda like if they'd tried to sign Jeffy Epstein to a contract before he "died".
They have resigned him since then.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
They have resigned him since then.
resigned with a big-ass raise
Old 09-21-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
It's not okay for me. I can't wait until that prick retires.

(As I've said before, I don't know if the rape allegation is true or not, but I DO know he's an absolute prick.)
He is a complete prick. He was at Findlay and Miami. He paid to make something go away, so.......
Old 09-21-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
He is a complete prick. He was at Findlay and Miami. He paid to make something go away, so.......
I can't vouche for him personally, as in myself. But several family members have met him (two cousins as well my sister) and all of them said the same thing. There are also a few bars here in Pittsburgh where he's no longer welcome. Fortunately, should be up soon.

But back to Antonio Brown. Think someone'll be desparate enough, or he'll fade away into nothing?
Old 09-21-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Was his the case where one of the investigating officers, (from the GBI, IIRC,) asked him for an autograph during or just after the investigation?

I get my cases of police officers and celebrity jock-sniffing mixed up. In Houston, we had an incident a few years ago where Patti LaBelle's bodyguard gave a West Point cadet brain damage over some altercation or other. The investigating officer---not sure if with HPD, or was a senior security officer at the airport---in the course of his interviews that evening, asked Ms. LaBelle to have her picture taken with him. Which is a great way to be assured of his impartiality.

Story of the lawsuit subsequent to the assault here: https://www.khou.com/article/enterta.../285-341153317
Old 09-21-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I can't vouche for him personally, as in myself. But several family members have met him (two cousins as well my sister) and all of them said the same thing. There are also a few bars here in Pittsburgh where he's no longer welcome. Fortunately, should be up soon.

But back to Antonio Brown. Think someone'll be desparate enough, or he'll fade away into nothing?
Why would a team try, if Brown is going to continue engaging in risky, if not criminal behaviour? The Pats cut him one step ahead of the league suspending him.

Maybe this new football league will give him a go?
Old 09-21-2019, 10:39 PM

Vince McMahon is probably calling him up to offer him an XFL contract as we e-speak.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Vince McMahon is probably calling him up to offer him an XFL contract as we e-speak.
He needs a wrestling nickname and needs to be fitted with wrestling tights.

"And in the blue corner, Le Grand Douche!!!"
Old 09-21-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
He needs a wrestling nickname and needs to be fitted with wrestling tights.

"And in the blue corner, Le Grand Douche!!!"
I suggest Antonio “Wash Cloth” Brown.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I suggest Antonio “Wash Cloth” Brown.
How about the "the Special Helmet"
Old 09-22-2019, 02:52 AM

So I'm curious, from a psychiatry standpoint, what might explain AB's behavior? Did he grow up in a very violent upbringing where violence and threats were the norm? Did he have fetal alcohol syndrome or something? Have some known mental disorder?
Old 09-22-2019, 03:23 AM

I am sorry, there is a rapist playing in an American football team? Please tell me thats a tasteless nickname?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
So I'm curious, from a psychiatry standpoint, what might explain AB's behavior? Did he grow up in a very violent upbringing where violence and threats were the norm? Did he have fetal alcohol syndrome or something? Have some known mental disorder?
Its known as Athlete Adolescence Syndrome. While many professional athletes end up well adjusted, many of them are able to live an extended adolescence and are enabled by their handlers, who make money off of them. And indulge these guys immensely.
Happens in soccer as well, though soccer clubs typically have **much** stricter control and discipline on their players and the minders keep them on a short leash. Which cracks down on this somewhat.

Last edited by AK84; 09-22-2019 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
A lot of people say his behavior became a lot more erratic after Vontaze Burfect destroyed him in a big hit a few years ago. I haven't checked the date of the allegations to vet the plausibility of this, but apparently he became a lot more difficult to deal with after that incident.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am sorry, there is a rapist playing in an American football team? Please tell me thats a tasteless nickname?
Ben Roethlisberger was accused of sexual assault twice. Neither case resulted in charges being filed. One resulting lawsuit was settled out of court.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Pittsburgh Steeler quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, is known as Ben Rapistberger, a nickname he earned.

When I just now searched on google for "Ben Roethlisberger" it autocorrected to "Ben Roethlisberger".
Old 09-22-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Ben Roethlisberger was accused of sexual assault twice. Neither case resulted in charges being filed. One resulting lawsuit was settled out of court.
Along with the two public accusations, there's been a ton of "talk". Hell, he creeped out Stormy Daniels.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Now he says he won’t play in the NFL.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...alls-kraft-ben

Last edited by dalej42; 09-22-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Pittsburgh Steeler quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, is known as Ben Rapistberger, a nickname he earned.

When I just now searched on google for "Ben Roethlisberger" it autocorrected to "Ben Roethlisberger".
Looking up Mr Roethlisberger's charges, I have to say, he is one[ I] lucky bastard.[/I]
In one of the cases, he avoided indictment because the amount of DNA found was insufficient to link it to him and no semen was found....
From the story, mainly because his bodyguards probably stopped him before he could start, after they prevented others from helping the victim. Asshole.

Damn... did he get any punishment?

Last edited by AK84; 09-22-2019 at 09:20 AM.