Old 08-12-2019, 07:57 PM

Preacher: Season 4 (AMC show)

The newest season of Preacher premiered on Sunday, August 4 (2019), with two one-hour episodes; the regular timeslot is currently Sundays at 10pm on AMC.

Here are previous threads on the show:

Season 1 (and three pre-premiere threads about it):
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...light=Preacher

Season 2:

Season 3:

Glancing through those old threads, I see that some fans of the original graphic novels /comics became fans of the show, and some did not. Not having read the comics, I'm reacting just to AMC's rendition---which I love. Great use of music and innovative camera work, and a great cast (in my view); each episode goes by way too quickly.

This season's first three episodes have been mainly set in Masada. Jesse is already off elsewhere, though. So far we're seeing more of God than in the past; Hitler, Arseface, and the Saint of Killers also have had a good amount of airtime.

I continue to be amazed at what AMC gets away with, 'adult content'-wise.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:54 PM

I love this show! Funniest moment of the latest episode: Arseface putting his mouth up to the hole and the other guy telling him "Slow down there big guy!"
Old 08-13-2019, 07:58 PM

This is the last season right?
Old 08-13-2019, 08:00 PM

Whaaat?? I had no idea it had been renewed. Going to have to remember how I watched the lasr season since I don't think we have AMC now. Maybe YouTube?
Old 08-13-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
This is the last season right?
Yes. Sad to say. AV Club has:

Quote:
... The fact that this announcement is being made now, after the season was announced but before it has premiered, implies that the fourth season is being made with a specific end point in mind. Up through this point, AMC’s show has used the original Preacher comic as a relatively loose inspiration, so the end of the show won’t necessarily mirror the end of the comic, but there will probably be some similarities. ...
https://news.avclub.com/fx-to-renoun...sea-1833897427
Old 08-13-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Whaaat?? I had no idea it had been renewed. Going to have to remember how I watched the lasr season since I don't think we have AMC now. Maybe YouTube?
YouTube has some trailers and such up for free, but appears to be charging--a LOT, $50 per month!!--to see the entire season. If you time the two-week free trial right you might be able to see all ten episodes of season 4, after they've aired on AMC, presumably.

$50 a month!!!!!!!! https://tv.youtube.com/browse/preach...WdHLhG-JZ6AeKA

This link is from a year ago, but it does show a variety of ways to stream AMC, some of which may still cost a bit less than $50 a month (!):
https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/watch-amc-online/
Old 08-14-2019, 05:18 AM

I for one am very disappointed in the season thus far. There have been multiple literal bags of dicks, and not one person has been told to eat them. But there's still time, I suppose.

BTW, was that hall fight scene and the pull-out to show the whole hallway a deliberate Oldboy reference?
Old 08-14-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
BTW, was that hall fight scene and the pull-out to show the whole hallway a deliberate Oldboy reference?
I have to admit I haven't seen Oldboy. But I searched the name of the movie and "fight" and "scene" and, what do you know? The Preacher scene clearly WAS an homage!

https://www.google.com/search?lr=&as...4dUDCAY&uact=5
Old 08-14-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I for one am very disappointed in the season thus far. There have been multiple literal bags of dicks, and not one person has been told to eat them. But there's still time, I suppose.

If Jesse doesn't get to use The Voice to tell someone to eat them, well. . .I don't know how I could be more disappointed.

I'm not loving this season, as the gang is split up and the repartee is suffering for it. The fight scenes are top notch as well.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Is anyone still watching this show? This final season is flawed but it has its moments. And as I'm watching it, I wonder what happened to the religious right. In previous decades, people used to freak out over what seems like nothing. They'd write letters to the network and the FCC and organize boycotts of advertisers. And yet, I don't hear of people losing their shit over this show, even though it features God, the Devil, Jesus and an angel and a demon having mad sex. (BTW, I'm guessing that the angel and demon from the most recent episode are the parents of the Genesis thing in Jesse Custer,)
Old 08-28-2019, 05:55 PM

The FCC regulates free over-the-air broadcasts, not cable, so any complaints to them about a cable show would be in vain.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
...(BTW, I'm guessing that the angel and demon from the most recent episode are the parents of the Genesis thing in Jesse Custer,)
I thought that the angel-demon pair we met in Season 1, Fiore and DeBlanc, were the parents of Genesis?

True, they were both manifested as male. But, I mean, it's the supernatural. Anything can happen.

(Still watching. I'm glad Tyson Ritter is getting to do something besides Humperdoo; that role has its limitations.)
Old 08-30-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
The FCC regulates free over-the-air broadcasts, not cable, so any complaints to them about a cable show would be in vain.
Didn't stop that group from complaining to Netflix about "Good Omens". Admittedly those people were idiots for a variety of reasons, first and foremost being that "Good Omens" isn't a Netflix show (also, they completely missed "Lucifer" which is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
I thought that the angel-demon pair we met in Season 1, Fiore and DeBlanc, were the parents of Genesis?

True, they were both manifested as male. But, I mean, it's the supernatural. Anything can happen.
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

Quote:
(Still watching. I'm glad Tyson Ritter is getting to do something besides Humperdoo; that role has its limitations.)
It's startling how different he looks in the two roles. Acting! Genius!
Old 08-30-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
I forgot about those two. But surely the coupling of the angel and demon in the most recent episode is going to figure into the plot somehow?
Old 08-30-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I forgot about those two. But surely the coupling of the angel and demon in the most recent episode is going to figure into the plot somehow?
Season 1 was 2 angels - they were the babysitters.

They told preacher that the reason for the power was an unholy pairing of an angel and a demon - presumably the pair from this season.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
It's startling how different he looks in the two roles. Acting! Genius!
Well, fake teeth and a "wall-eye" contact lens will accomplish quite a lot. But, yeah: he's good. (Ritter is currently a semi-regular on Lodge 49 where he plays yet a third type of character very convincingly: a smart con-man, basically.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Season 1 was 2 angels - they were the babysitters.
They told preacher that the reason for the power was an unholy pairing of an angel and a demon - presumably the pair from this season.
I hadn't remembered that dialogue---that would seem to settle the question.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Is anyone still watching this show?
I abandoned this season. Saw a 30-second trailer and decided, "Nah". Deleted them off the DVR. Wife says the show really crawled up its own ass.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:03 AM

FWIW I think the season has really picked up. Apparently what it needed was to be given a finite number of episodes to tell the story, so the characters don't just sit around moping all the time (they're still doing that, but other stuff is finally happening).

Plus the whole "We're the Americans!" thing from a few episodes ago did make me laugh a lot.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

The show doesn't even pretend to explain how Tulip's Chevelle gets to and from the US, Australia and the Middle East, sometimes within a single episode. And I'm OK with that. And in the most recent episode, God punished Jesse for even thinking he might like to sit in God's throne but was totally cool with Herr Starr's vanity.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
The show doesn't even pretend to explain how Tulip's Chevelle gets to and from the US, Australia and the Middle East, sometimes within a single episode.
Not that it's super realistic, but it is addressed. Every time the car travels to another continent, there's a shot of a large ship with hundreds of cargo containers.

I am enjoying the season. I didn't quite get why Cassidy kept sabotaging his own rescue. I'm liking the extra screen time for Jesus, and I imagine the actor likes getting a break from Humperdoo.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
... God punished Jesse for even thinking he might like to sit in God's throne but was totally cool with Herr Starr's vanity.
I gather that one commonality of the show with the graphic novels (which I haven't read) is the "God is an arsehole" theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
I didn't quite get why Cassidy kept sabotaging his own rescue. ...
Guilt. Not only over the people he's killed over the decades, but over the incident that occurred just before he was turned into a vampire,

SPOILER:
in which his friend was slaughtered by the English while Cassidy hid and looked on.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:56 PM

It's a beautiful show to watch. The story is extremely comic-booky but that's not always bad.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:45 PM

I'm disappointed that this season spent so much time with the three of them apart. What I liked most was when they were talking and sniping with each other, so what did they do this season? Split them up the whole friggin' time! Dammit! THE. WHOLE. FRIGGIN'. SEASON!

Probably my favorite times were when they were in the car, with Cassidy BS'ing about baby's foreskins being used in face cream, etc.

Last couple of episodes have been enjoyable, though. Still look forward to every new episode. Can't believe, with the bags and bags of Cassidy foreskins they carved off, they never made a face cream from them. Seems like a missed opportunity for a callback.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:03 AM

Oh and not to be critical or anything but I didn't like that Satan was a character from another tv show (Your pretty face). That kind of broke the story a bit.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
The show doesn't even pretend to explain how Tulip's Chevelle gets to and from the US, Australia and the Middle East, sometimes within a single episode. And I'm OK with that.
Herr Starr gets around quite quickly too. And that's not even getting into the whole "climbing through the planet" thing.

Quote:
And in the most recent episode, God punished Jesse for even thinking he might like to sit in God's throne but was totally cool with Herr Starr's vanity.
Because - and this is a running theme - God (in the show) is a total dick. Petty, vindictive, irrational, unjust - God's whole shtick is that he wants everyone to love Him unconditionally no matter how much Hell (literally) He puts them through. He talks about free will but ignores it when it suits His fleeting purpose.

In the book, God "arranged" for Genesis' conception in the hope of getting something big and powerful to love Him in that way - and then runs away because He's scared of it. I suspect that's going to feature prominently in the final episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
Last couple of episodes have been enjoyable, though. Still look forward to every new episode. Can't believe, with the bags and bags of Cassidy foreskins they carved off, they never made a face cream from them. Seems like a missed opportunity for a callback.
They did a whole scene on that very thing, complete with fake beauty product commercial. I mean, I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine the scene in Bensonhurst with the saw.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
...They did a whole scene on that very thing, complete with fake beauty product commercial. I mean, I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine the scene in Bensonhurst with the saw.
You didn't; in fact, it's shown every week in the opening credits (behind Joseph Gilgun's name).
Old 09-20-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
They did a whole scene on that very thing, complete with fake beauty product commercial. I mean, I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine the scene in Bensonhurst with the saw.

Crap. I remember the auto-circumcision setup they had, but not anything about the fake commercial. I've been falling asleep a lot lately, and I wouldn't have seen it in the credits because I never watch the credits. Thanks, I'll go back and see if I can find the scene again.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:03 PM

This season, IMHO, has been very un-even to say the least - I get the story they are telling, or trying to tell - but it simply isn't as fun as season 1 was. We are watching because we want to see how it plays out and since "this is it" - but if it were'nt for it being the final season, I can't honestly say we would not have dumped it about 2 episodes in this season.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:35 PM

I liked Season 4...except for the last episode that I thought was kind of talky and preachy (I guess it's in the name of the show) and choppy.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:40 PM

Yeah, final episode wasn't what you would call "good."
Old 10-04-2019, 07:13 AM

Well I enjoyed it. Yes, there was a lot of talking required to power through all the loose ends left to be resolved but for the most part I thought it was as concise as they could make it. I'm not sure about the fight between Hitler and Jesus, amusing though it was (and allowed Jesus to avenge the Jews in a weird way) and the "gunfight" in Heaven at the end seemed superfluous, but Jesse got to best God even without his powers, Tulip remained badass to the end and Cassidy got really the best ending he could get under the circumstances. Plus the world didn't end, which is nice.

I also think it was Mark Harelik's best episode. That scene in the trailer with the new creations was pure gold.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:22 PM

A major problem for providing a satisfying ending in a story in which characters-who-die-go-on-living-essentially-unchanged in an afterlife, is: how do you get to any sort of poignancy or finality or sense of closure?

Still, it was a valiant effort to tie up loose ends. I won't hate on it. I just think they failed to solve the 'afterlife exists and you go on living, pretty much the same as before' aspect of the fantasy world-building of this particular franchise.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
and the "gunfight" in Heaven at the end seemed superfluous,.
It's what happened in the comics.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
It's what happened in the comics.
I don't remember God shooting back in the comics - I thought it was a one-way transaction after a bit of blustering - but I'll have to go recheck.

Speaking of afterlives, I did wonder what happened to Hitler. I mean, he was already dead before he got strangled - did he, like the demons, pop back into existence somewhere or end up in Hell again or is he dead-dead?