Old 09-22-2019, 11:08 PM

Redskins still to play tomorrow night, but here's some stats of distinction for each team:
Miami Dolphins - Through three games is being outscored 16-133, worse than the 2017 Browns (56-76), 2008 Lions (59-113), and 1976 Bucs (9-57).
Pittsburgh Steelers - Lost, totaling only 239 yards on offense, despite getting FIVE takeaways.
Cincinnati Bengals - Actually put up a decent fight. Uh, they're the farthest team away from their last playoff win.
New York Jets - 0 for 12 on 3rd Down, 105 total offensive yards. That's not actually their team record low.
Denver Broncos - First defense in the last 50 years to go their first three games without a single sack OR takeaway.
Arizona Cardinals - Kyler Murray "beat" Nathan Peterman's "record" of fewest passing yards on 30+ completions, going 30 for 173yds. Peterman went 31 for 188.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Of course the Steelers are no longer playing for Tua. We cunningly make it look like we do, though.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Of course the Steelers are no longer playing for Tua. We cunningly make it look like we do, though.
Mike Tomlin and his mind games, man...
Old 09-23-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Sadly, my Saints are contenders. We won the first game, but probably won't win another unless/until Brees comes back, at which point we'll already be all but eliminated from playoff contention anyway....
Apparently I know even less about football than I do about politics. Saints offense wasn't great, but Bridgewater played reasonably well. Without all the penalties, they may have scored another couple of times.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Apparently I know even less about football than I do about politics. Saints offense wasn't great, but Bridgewater played reasonably well. Without all the penalties, they may have scored another couple of times.
Your team has the best backup tandem in the league at QB with Bridgewater and Hill. You can still make the playoffs.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Your team has the best backup tandem in the league at QB with Bridgewater and Hill. You can still make the playoffs.
Theres a reason Bridgewater is the highest-paid backup in the NFL.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:39 PM

"Tank for Tua" OR The 0-16 NFL Season Thread (2019 ed.)

What Miami is doing is not only disgusting it’s dangerous. Trading a left tackle who’s job is to protect the QBs blindside for a bag of footballs should not have been allowed by the NFL. This isn’t the NBA, Dolphins players could get seriously hurt by their team’s refusal to put the best players possible on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by russian heel; 09-23-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:47 PM

The Dolphins got two 1st Rounders & a 2nd Rounder for Tunsil. Not many teams would turn that down.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:06 PM

I get that but what does that do for the players on this years team? A record number of their agents have asked to be traded.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
I get that but what does that do for the players on this years team? A record number of their agents have asked to be traded.

You say that like it's a surprise that NFL team owners don't generally give a shit about their players. They're meat.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:08 PM

It seems there's a bigger divide between the good teams and bad teams this year. I mean, usually there are 4-5 really good teams, 20 or so mediocre teams, and 4-5 bad teams. This year there's the same 4-5 good ones, but like 10 absolutely terrible teams.

Baseball was the same this season, too.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
You say that like it's a surprise that NFL team owners don't generally give a shit about their players. They're meat.
Team owners might not but youd think the NFLPA would.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Team owners might not but youd think the NFLPA would.
That would entail them saying the current left tackle for the Dolphins isn't worthy of being on an NFL roster. Michael Deiter might be a rookie, but he's still a member of the NFLPA. And it's not like he's some UDFA scrub, he was a 3rd Round pick.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
That would entail them saying the current left tackle for the Dolphins isn't worthy of being on an NFL roster. Michael Deiter might be a rookie, but he's still a member of the NFLPA. And it's not like he's some UDFA scrub, he was a 3rd Round pick.
So they’re not literally putting a sack of footballs on the far left side of the line of scrimmage to impede the end rushers.

I imagine pre-snap, the bag of footballs shifts and leans over...

“False start! Sack of footballs! Five yard penalty, still first down.”

Last edited by Atamasama; 09-24-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:20 PM

Week Three Consequences

Three teams won this week:
Jacksonville Jaguars
Carolina Panthers
New York Giants

Here are our six stopped squads, sorted by Points-Per-Drive differential (Offense PPD scored - Defense PPD allowed), also showing is average margin of loss, and their next opponent:
Miami Dolphins -3.10 (-39.0) host Chargers (1-2, -1.3ppg)
New York Jets -1.59 (-12.3) BYE
Pittsburgh Steelers -0.93 (-12.0) host Bengals (0-3, -9.7ppg) Mon Night
Washington Redskins -0.90 (-10.3) at Giants (1-2, -10.3ppg)
Denver Broncos -0.67 (-7.0) host Jaguars (1-2, -0.7ppg)
Cincinnati Bengals -0.60 (-9.7) at Steelers (0-3, -12.0ppg) Mon Night

Winless:
Arizona Cardinals -0.70 (-8.0) host Seahawks (2-1, -1.0ppg)

Just what the rapidly declining prestige of Monday Night Football, a week four matchup of 0-3 teams. Both lost on the road by four points to two surprising 3-0 teams after holding fourth-quarter leads. The biggest difference is the Steelers had a +3 turnover margin and the Bengals were -2.
As for the other teams, most of them looked pretty pathetic. Many were going up against top-5 PPD diff teams, and/or really solid defenses. But still, those efforts looked like week-one college puff pastry opponents. At least this upcoming week all the 0-3 teams are either on a bye or going against other teams with losing records.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:26 PM

I’m calling a tie game between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Im calling a tie game between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.
Yeah, me too. Final score: suck to suck
Old 09-25-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
Yeah, me too. Final score: suck to suck
Hey! I resemble that remark!
Old 09-25-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:

100% agreed. The fact that the players are 80% black and the owners are all almost rich white billionaires makes the optics even worse.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:

No but he’s not as good as Tunsil. Even he would admit that.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
No but hes not as good as Tunsil. Even he would admit that.

He wouldn't agree that he endangers the health of his quarterback by his presence.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:39 PM

Under sedation, he would.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:10 PM

Good news everyone! The Dolphins had a lead for the first time!
Old 10-01-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Good news everyone! The Dolphins had a lead for the first time!
And they're getting incrementally better.

They've improved by 29 points in just three weeks!
Old 10-01-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Quote:
Mike Tomlin and his mind games, man...
Just noticed this exchange.

Steelers can't tank for Tua anymore because the 'Fins have their first rounder for next year...
Old 10-01-2019, 12:33 PM

Of the 4 Teams that are 0-4, the Broncos, Redskins & Bengals have a combined -128 point differential. The Dolphins have a -137 point differential.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:39 PM

Redskins scoring sharply declining each week:

It took bringing in rookie QB Dwayne Haskins to get those 3 points. I fully anticipate them losing in Week 5 vs NE 63-0.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:19 AM

CONGRATULATIONS! The only win this week was from the muddled-on-maladroit meeting of two of our 'best' Monday Night. The Steelers managed to appear as an actual NFL team by beating the now 0-4 Bengals. How impressive.
Pittsburgh Steelers

Here are our Five Fatuous Factions, this time sorted by their Pro Football Focus total DVOA rank. Rank in the adjective sense, not the noun. Also showing is average margin of loss, and their next opponent:
Miami Dolphins -90.9% (-34.2) BYE
Cincinnati Bengals -28.9% (-13.2) host Cardinals (0-3-1, -10.2ppg)
*Arizona Cardinals -24.0% (-8.0) at Bengals (0-4, -13.2ppg)
Washington Redskins -23.4% (-13.0) host Patriots (4-0, +23.8ppg)
New York Jets -23.1% (-12.3) at Eagles (2-2, +1.2ppg)
Denver Broncos -16.2% (-5.8) at Chargers (2-2, +4.0ppg)

*Winless. I'm a'gunna throw the Cards in with the rest, now. They tied a good Lions team Week 1, but they've gone on to stink it up pretty bad since then.

The Dolphins are so bad How bad are they?
The Dolphins are so bad they lost by 20 and improved their average point differential.
The Dolphins are so bad their loss margin is worse than all the other winless teams COMBINED.
The Dolphins are so bad they are 0-4 against the spread. Their average point spread was more than two touchdowns.

In sad news for teams hoping to pad their victory margins, the Dolphins are on a bye this week. The Bengals got blown out by previously-winless Steelers team. The Cardinals visit them this week. Will Arizona become the first team since forever to have two ties in a single season? How are the Bengals the favored team? The Redskins almost seem desperate to keep up with the Dolphins, and they get help this week by playing the Patriots. How many cupcakes before the Pats start getting doubted? Sam Darnold being out with mono is not the reason the Jets are losing. The Broncos lost another heartbreaker, but how a Vic Fangios defense is that bad I do not understand.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:43 PM

The bad news train gets set to roll, it won't slow down yet out of coal:

The Jets' Sam Darnold still out with mono.
The Dolphins will have to wait another week to go 0-5.
The Bengals place starting WR John Ross on IR.
The Broncos' WR Emmanuel Sanders has been the subject of trade rumors, now Mike Florio is suggesting trading Von Miller, too.
The Redskins, who "didn't have" a plan at starting QB all week, will start... Colt McCoy.
The Cardinals' WR Christian Kirk is out this week, which may make those four-wideout formations they use 60% of the time a little less useful.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
The Dolphins will have to wait another week to go 0-5.
Are we sure? I'm not yet convinced the Dolphins won't find a way to lose this weekend.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
Are we sure? I'm not yet convinced the Dolphins won't find a way to lose this weekend.
If the Cards beat the Bengals and all the other 0-fer teams lose, they'd lose ground in the race to the top draft pick.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
If the Cards beat the Bengals and all the other 0-fer teams lose, they'd lose ground in the race to the top draft pick.
Excuse me sir, and I'm a Bengals fan, but....IF????
Old 10-05-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Excuse me sir, and I'm a Bengals fan, but....IF????
Well, Cincinnati is a 3.5 favorite... somehow.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Well, Cincinnati is a 3.5 favorite... somehow.
At this point Andy Dalton is a better QB than Kyler Murray, if for no other reason than a lack of experience in the NFL. Murray is much more likely to make mistakes. I think he has what it takes to be a legit franchise QB and Id be surprised if he doesnt become Arizonas best all-time QB (low bar I know) but thats in the future.

That alone gives Cincinnati an edge.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Id be surprised if he doesnt become Arizonas best all-time QB (low bar I know) but thats in the future.
You mean a low bar other than Hall of Fame QB Kurt Warner leading the Cardinals to the Superbowl?
Old 10-05-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
The 2017 Browns get a pass here?
Couple of days ago two hosts on my local sports-talk station were discussing the Dolphins and whether they would be able to lay a goose egg for the season. One of them opined that it was harder than it seemed, and hadnt happened in about a decade. (No, it happened two years ago!, I yelled at the radio.) And no one, not the other host, nor a producer, nor a caller, corrected him. And these are folks who can tell you how many missed PATs the Falcons had in 2007.

Clearly the Browns front office has deployed some sort of memory-erasing ray on the rest of the country.
It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 10-05-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
You mean a low bar other than Hall of Fame QB Kurt Warner leading the Cardinals to the Superbowl?
He played there but he was not his Hall of Fame self. He was plagued with injuries his first year, benched his second year to play backup to a rookie, played backup most of his third year, finally was named a starter the fourth year where he struggled at times but eventually looked like the great player he once was, and did indeed lead them to a SB (which they lost but not badly, and he was certainly great there). He did well the following year, got to the NFC Championship but got hurt in the loss (due to Bountygate) and retired.

So the Cardinals had two good years with him. Hardly what youd call a real franchise QB. His glory years were with the Rams.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Couple of days ago two hosts on my local sports-talk station were discussing the Dolphins and whether they would be able to lay a goose egg for the season. One of them opined that it was harder than it seemed, and hadn’t happened in about a decade. (“No, it happened two years ago!”, I yelled at the radio.) And no one, not the other host, nor a producer, nor a caller, corrected him. And these are folks who can tell you how many missed PATs the Falcons had in 2007.

Clearly the Browns front office has deployed some sort of memory-erasing ray on the rest of the country.
And as I like to remind people, the 0-16 was bad enough but they were 1-32. That’s a record that may never be broken while the NFL has rules to support parity.

Last edited by Atamasama; 10-05-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
He played there but he was not his Hall of Fame self. He was plagued with injuries his first year, benched his second year to play backup to a rookie, played backup most of his third year, finally was named a starter the fourth year where he struggled at times but eventually looked like the great player he once was, and did indeed lead them to a SB (which they lost but not badly, and he was certainly great there). He did well the following year, got to the NFC Championship but got hurt in the loss (due to Bountygate) and retired.

So the Cardinals had two good years with him. Hardly what you’d call a real franchise QB. His glory years were with the Rams.
I think his time in Arizona is what clinched his induction into the HoF. Without that third Superbowl appearance, I don't think he has enough longevity as a successful QB to make it in.

Agreed that he only had two good seasons with the Cards, but he also only had three good (great) seasons with the Rams.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 10-05-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I think his time in Arizona is what clinched his induction into the HoF. Without that third Superbowl appearance, I don't think he has enough longevity as a successful QB to make it in.

Agreed that he only had two good seasons with the Cards, but he also only had three good (great) seasons with the Rams.
My feeling (feeling, mind you) is that if the Cardinals build around Murray they can have something really good. It could be his team and could be a contender year after year. I didnt buy into the hype during the draft but seeing him on the field Im impressed by him.

As a Seahawks fan Im hoping he fizzles out of course.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:08 PM

Agreed. And to your point, he could (and should; I expect him to) far surpass any "original" Cardinals QB, which is indeed a low bar. Matt Leinart didn't pan out, so basically the bar was set by Jake Plummer, who never cracked an 80 passer rating in his 6 years in Arizona. (And only one of those years had him with more TDs than Ints!) He got decent when he went to Denver, but not until then.

I'm surprised Warner only had 3 good seasons with the Rams. When I looked it up I kept rechecking because that just seemed wrong. My only point with that was that the Cards did have a legit HoF QB in Warner because his Arizona resume played a significant role in getting him into the Hall. Unlike, say, Joe Montana, where the voting committee probably didn't even mention his (pretty successful) time in Kansas City before voting him in.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:16 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Agreed. And to your point, he could (and should; I expect him to) far surpass any "original" Cardinals QB, which is indeed a low bar. Matt Leinart didn't pan out, so basically the bar was set by Jake Plummer, who never cracked an 80 passer rating in his 6 years in Arizona. (And only one of those years had him with more TDs than Ints!) He got decent when he went to Denver, but not until then.
Assuming we're only talking about the Arizona era for the Cardinals, I'd agree that they haven't had a lot of good QB play. If one's willing to include the franchise's tenure in St. Louis, there were two very good quarterbacks in Neil Lomax and Jim Hart.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:56 PM

Just going by wins and losses, I'll have to take your word on Lomax but yeah, the team actually won under Hart. In particular from 74 to 76 he led the team to a solid 31-11 record. Maybe not great the other 10 years he led the team in passing, but that's a legitimately good three year stretch. I stand corrected.

So the low bar should be qualified with "in the last 30-40 years."

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 10-05-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:15 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Just going by wins and losses, I'll have to take your word on Lomax but yeah, the team actually won under Hart. In particular from 74 to 76 he led the team to a solid 31-11 record. Maybe not great the other 10 years he led the team in passing, but that's a legitimately good three year stretch. I stand corrected.
Of the two, Hart was undoubtedly the better QB. And, yeah, in the mid '70s, the Cardinals had one of the best offenses in the NFL, with Hart at QB, Terry Metcalf and Jim Otis in the backfield, and Mel Gray and Jackie Smith (and Metcalf) as receivers. They had the misfortune of playing in a loaded NFC in that era, and they couldn't make it past the Rams, Vikings, and Cowboys. (Heck, in '76, the Cardinals finished at 10-4, and out of the playoffs!)

Lomax had put up some ridiculous passing numbers in college at Portland State; in the NFL, he had some extremely good years, but wasn't particularly consistent (which reminds me, now that I think about it, of Warner's tenure with the Cardinals), and he had to retire early due to an arthritic hip. Like Hart's teams, those Cardinal teams had some good players on offense (Ottis Anderson, Stump Mitchell, Roy Green, J.T. Smith), but even in the years that the offense was good, the defense often wasn't.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:19 AM

I read an interesting statistic today. Since the AFL-NFL merger of 1970, no more than 6 teams have been winless in week 5. We have exactly that many now, matching the record. If at least 5 are winless by next week it will be a new record.

Last edited by Atamasama; 10-06-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:56 AM

Week Five Repercussions

Two, count 'em, two teams got their first win this week. The Cardinals used a fellow contender to finally get a genuine win, meaning I don't have to include them with an asterisk because of their stupid tie. The Broncos were probably the most surprising entrant in this contest anyway, and they got their inevitable win at long last.
Arizona Cardinals
Denver Broncos

Here are our remaining Four Fruitless Flocks, this time sorted fewest offensive touchdowns per game. Also showing is average margin of loss, and their next opponent:
Miami Dolphins 0.5 TDs/gm (-34.2 ppg) host Redskins (0-5, -15.6 ppg)
New York Jets 0.5 TDs/gm (-15.5 ppg) host Cowboys (3-2, +8.2 ppg)
Cincinnati Bengals 1.6 TDs/gm (-11.2 ppg) at Ravens (3-2, +7.6 ppg)
Washington Redskins 1.8 TDs/gm (-15.6 ppg) at Dolphins (0-4, -34.2 ppg)

My Eagles-fan friend texted me during his game against the Jets saying they might be worse than the Dolphins. He could be right, and unfortunately for fans of quality football play, they're in the same division. The Jets defense has scored more touchdowns than the offense. They've only attempted three field goals in four games, and only made one of them.

The Bengals loss to the Cardinals may have looked close, but the win percentage for Arizona never dipped below 55% after their first-quarter TD. They'll probably snag a win here and there, but the question is will the front office let Zac Taylor pick out a new QB?

Dan Snyder found another scapegoat, firing Jay Gruden. I wonder if he thinks that will "help" improve the team or "help" get a better draft pick.

I know three of the remaining teams have had to play the Patriots, but the fact that all are averaging double-digit losses just boggles.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:31 PM

Nothing will ruin a perfectly executed plan than someone else being such a fuckup that you can't excape it.

The plan is the Dolphins' season...the fuckup? Is that the Redskins' music I hear?!?!
Old 10-08-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I read an interesting statistic today. Since the AFL-NFL merger of 1970, no more than 6 teams have been winless in week 5. We have exactly that many now, matching the record. If at least 5 are winless by next week it will be a new record.
We're now at 4.

Dammit Broncos! We could have made history!

(I cant blame Cincy and the Cards for not tying. The Cards already did that once this year.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Nothing will ruin a perfectly executed plan than someone else being such a fuckup that you can't excape it.
Unless it's your own players. Management may be trying to tank, but the remaining players, in spite of their limited talents, instinctively want to win, and to show other teams they're worth trading for.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:37 PM

It's a shame the schedule rotation landed on the AFC East (Dolphins & Jets) playing both the AFC North (Bengals) as well as the NFC East (Redskins).