Old 09-18-2019, 03:36 PM

NFL Week Three - Beyond Thunderdome

Nothing like a rash of injuries to the QB position to make things in the NFL more interesting. With the Saints, the Steelers, the Jets, the Giants and possibly the Panthers all starting brand new QB's this week, there's a ton of uncertainty this week. Should be interesting.

The games:

Thursday:

Tennessee Titans at Jacksonville Jaguars (+1.5, 39)

Sunday:

Denver Broncos at Green Bay Packers (-8, 42.5)
Detroit Lions at Philadelphia Eagles (-6.5, 46.5)
Baltimore Ravens at Kansas City Chiefs (-6.5, 54.5)
Cincinnati Bengals at Buffalo Bills (-6, 44)
Atlanta Falcons at Indianapolis Colts (-2, 47)
Oakland Raiders at Minnesota Vikings (-8, 43.5)
New York Jets at New England Patriots (-23, 43.5)
Miami Dolphins at Dallas Cowboys (-21.5, 47)
New York Giants at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-6.5, 48)
Carolina Panthers at Arizona Cardinals (+2.5, 46.5)
New Orleans Saints at Seattle Seahawks (-4, 44.5)
Houston Texans at Los Angeles Chargers (-3, 47.5)
Pittsburgh Steelers at San Francisco 49ers (-6.5, 43.5)
Los Angeles Rams at Cleveland Browns (+3, 49)

Monday:

Chicago Bears at Washington Professional Football Team (+4, 41.5)

The Ravens v. Chiefs game looks like the most interesting to watch. The Ravens D is top 5 in points allowed, and the Chiefs' offense is running on all cylinders, even without Tyreek Hill. Add in Lamar Jackson's blistering start to the season, and this game should be a blast to watch.

Of the noob QBs, I'm most intrigued by Mason Rudolph, who I liked coming out of college, and Daniel Jones, who I hated coming out of college. I was hoping to get a look at Will Grier too, but it appears Kyle Allen will get the start if Cam can't go.

The Browns Rams game might be fun too. Seeing Myles Garrett and Aaron Donald play well is always interesting, and I'm wondering if both Goff and Mayfield were prematurely hailed as part of the next great young QB group.

Finally, I'll likely watch the Monday night game, but I doubt I'll stick around long. It might be intriguing to see just how much Nagy will have to simplify his offense for Trubisky and just how much an awakening Case Keenum will get playing a very, very good defense. But in reality, I'll probably fire up the PS4 and maybe buy Observer to play instead of watching the tedium of the Bears and Washington's tepid offenses (Take the under).

What are you all looking forward to? More misery in Miami? Budding Belief in Buffalo? More eMotions for MinshewMania?

Last edited by Bone; 09-18-2019 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Edit thread title at OP request
Old 09-18-2019, 03:41 PM

Isn't it week three?
Old 09-19-2019, 10:15 AM

Here's hoping that Washington helps The Bears fix their offensive woes. Both the Packers and the Broncos defenses played the Beloved tough and Trubisky's performance has been flawed. He's having trouble throwing deep and he's locking in on primary receivers in throwing plays. Bears running game in week 2 was pretty good with a rushing TD by Montgomery and a great pitchout to Patterson for 46 yards, now they just need to get the passing game going.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

When is the last week where we saw two games with the betting line over 20?
Old 09-19-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Here's hoping that Washington helps The Bears fix their offensive woes. Both the Packers and the Broncos defenses played the Beloved tough and Trubisky's performance has been flawed. He's having trouble throwing deep and he's locking in on primary receivers in throwing plays. Bears running game in week 2 was pretty good with a rushing TD by Montgomery and a great pitchout to Patterson for 46 yards, now they just need to get the passing game going.
Yeah, we basically need a repeat of the Buccs game from last year.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
When is the last week where we saw two games with the betting line over 20?
A Yahoo article I won't link to cites ESPN Stats & Info saying it was week 5 of 1987, the strike season.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Bears fans about ready to lose their fucking shit if they have another pathetic offensive showing. I think the fanbase will melt down completely if they end up with another all-time great defense squandered by an incompetent offense.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:00 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

The Dolphins are benching QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, and will be starting Josh Rosen against the Cowboys.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
The Dolphins are benching QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, and will be starting Josh Rosen against the Cowboys.
That'll sure fix the problem!
Old 09-19-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Both the Packers and the Broncos defenses played the Beloved tough
After years of abysmal defenses, you have no idea how happy this sentence makes me. If the Pack can stop letting the big plays explode all over, they might just have something. Outside of the eternal Tramon Williams, this is a young and FAST defense. Eliminate some of the literal rookie mistakes and stay healthy, and watch out.

My head says I should be a little concerned about the offense, but my heart says a healthy Rodgers playing against two top five defenses will be just fine.

This week brings on the Broncos, which is starting to tax my new friendships since moving to Colorado Springs two weeks ago. The game is at Lambeau, and Denver hasn't exactly looked like worldbeaters. This is the first week I've been cautiously optimistic so far. If the defense keeps playing like it has, and the offense levels up from a single good quarter to a good half or more, then look out.

For current commentary, only the Titans can make the Jaguars look this good. This is brutal.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's just because they figure with the QB attrition, a healthy Fitz will be worth trading for a pick or two next year. Hell when I saw the news that the Steelers had traded for Fitzpatrick my first first thought was Beirdo, not Minkah.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:46 PM

That was supposed to be Beardo, I'm very curious why the autocorrect changed it to another more interesting spelled homonym for they same made up word.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:34 PM

I'm a little sad that Gardner Minshew didn't start playing until after the Good Place was filming.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Of the noob QBs, I'm most intrigued by Mason Rudolph, who I liked coming out of college, and Daniel Jones, who I hated coming out of college. I was hoping to get a look at Will Grier too, but it appears Kyle Allen will get the start if Cam can't go.
I watched Minshew at WSU and he was fun, I didnít think heíd make it in the NFL though, because itís so hard for a QB to succeed there. But to think heís not only starting, but doing relatively well, makes me excited. I think his personality is good for the league and it would be awesome for him to become a franchise QB.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:02 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
I'm a little sad that Gardner Minshew didn't start playing until after the Good Place was filming.
I know, right? I could totally see Eleanor deciding that she had the hots for Minshew, too.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:09 PM

Being Goff’s backup just makes Jason’s battle cry of “Bortles!” that much funnier.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Bears fans about ready to lose their fucking shit if they have another pathetic offensive showing. I think the fanbase will melt down completely if they end up with another all-time great defense squandered by an incompetent offense.
I thank whatever gods may be that the Bears passed on Patrick Mahommes and Deshaun Watson to draft Trubisky. Imagine the Bears with this defense with either of those guys leading the offense. Oofa.

Actually, dont imagine that. It'd be too painful for you. Kinda like if I imagine the Packers with even a competent defense during the Rodgers years.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I thank whatever gods may be that the Bears passed on Patrick Mahommes and Deshaun Watson to draft Trubisky. Imagine the Bears with this defense with either of those guys leading the offense. Oofa.

Actually, dont imagine that. It'd be too painful for you. Kinda like if I imagine the Packers with even a competent defense during the Rodgers years.
Playing devilsí advocate, on the Bears Mahommes wouldnít have Tyreek Hill to throw to, and Watson wouldnít have time-traveling football cyborg DeAndre Hopkins to throw to. Iím not saying that Mitch is just a great receiver away from being the next Aaron Rodgers but the Bears arenít known for their stellar wide-outs.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Playing devilsí advocate, on the Bears Mahommes wouldnít have Tyreek Hill to throw to, and Watson wouldnít have time-traveling football cyborg DeAndre Hopkins to throw to. Iím not saying that Mitch is just a great receiver away from being the next Aaron Rodgers but the Bears arenít known for their stellar wide-outs.
Well the Bears are paying Allen Robinson to be that kind of receiver, but even then, I think it's pretty clear, no matter who the pass catchers are, both Mahomes and Watson are astronomically better than Trubisky at this point.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:48 AM

Watson last year - 260 yards and 1.93 TDs a game, avg passer rating 103.1
Trubisky last year - 230 yard and 1.92 TDs a game, avg passer rating 95.4

Trubisky has certainly regressed these first couple games and I'm hoping he bounces back, but I wouldn't say Watson is astronomically better.

Mahomes is certainly another level, but we'll never know if he would have made that level if instead of sitting behind Alex Smith for year, he sat behind Glennon for four games and then got thrown into Foxball.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Watson last year - 260 yards and 1.93 TDs a game, avg passer rating 103.1
Trubisky last year - 230 yard and 1.92 TDs a game, avg passer rating 95.4
Kinda cherry picking there. Watson also had higher completion percentage, passed for more yards, more yards per completion, more td's, fewer interceptions, a whole point less in interception percentage, all the while getting sacked a league leading 62 times (24 for Trubisky). And that's completely ignoring their rookie seasons.

I think you would be very, very hard pressed to find anyone outside of maybe Mitch's immediate family, who would rather have Trubisky over Watson as their QB. Certainly "astronomically" was a bit of hyperbole (they don't measure QB ability in Parsecs), but I think it's hard to argue the Bears would be better off with Watson than Trubisky.

It will be interesting to see if Nagy tries to run his preferred offense like he tried in week one, or if he goes back to last year (and week 2's) plan of tailoring the gameplan and play calls to Mitch's strengths and trying to cover for his weaknesses.

Last edited by Hamlet; 09-20-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:14 PM

Sooooo, after doing the job in Ford Field last week with the Chargers, now the Motor City Kitties have taken down Philly on the road. Huh. Do you think the girls on the corner are starting to say, "Heeeey Detroit. I see you."
Old 09-22-2019, 03:32 PM

I think this was explained to me last year, but I'm a slow learner. Why is the Saints/Seahawks game (both NFC teams) being shown on CBS?
Old 09-22-2019, 03:36 PM

Green Bay drops Flacco SIX times, along with two fumbles forced and recovered and an interception, en route to a 27-16 victory. And all but one fumble was by players new to the Packers this year. Gutekunst is showing to have an eye for talent, and Pettine is figuring out how to use those players to wreak havoc.

Rodgers and the offense absolutely blasted apart the Broncos' defense in the first series, and then struggled the rest of the way. Without the defense going balls out against the donkeys, that could have been a much tighter game. That said, there's pretty clear evidence the offense is getting better each week, and that's the best you can hope for with a new head coach and OC.

On to next week, and a banged up Eagles team.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Green Bay drops Flacco SIX times, along with two fumbles forced and recovered and an interception, en route to a 27-16 victory. And all but one fumble was by players new to the Packers this year. Gutekunst is showing to have an eye for talent, and Pettine is figuring out how to use those players to wreak havoc.

Rodgers and the offense absolutely blasted apart the Broncos' defense in the first series, and then struggled the rest of the way. Without the defense going balls out against the donkeys, that could have been a much tighter game. That said, there's pretty clear evidence the offense is getting better each week, and that's the best you can hope for with a new head coach and OC.

On to next week, and a banged up Eagles team.
Packers defense is a bunch of monsters.

Rodgers does not look like himself out there. I donít know if itís his receivers not getting open or what but he wasnít looking very good. They needed that defense to win.

Itís weird, a great defense is a good thing to have and is often the best asset in the postseason but I wonder how far they will get if that offense doesnít improve.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:51 PM

Please excuse my ignorance but I never realised before today that the Chiefs ground is actually in Missouri.

Do fans in Kansas state generally root for the Chiefs or is it more Missouri's team?
Old 09-22-2019, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahu View Post
Please excuse my ignorance but I never realised before today that the Chiefs ground is actually in Missouri.

Do fans in Kansas state generally root for the Chiefs or is it more Missouri's team?
The Kansas City usually refers to Kansas City, MO. There is a Kansas City, KS but it's a relatively small city across the river.

Most of Kansas roots for the Chiefs. The western part of the state roots for a mix of the Cowboys and Broncos. https://seatgeek.com/tba/articles/wh...cross-the-u-s/
Old 09-22-2019, 04:23 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
I think this was explained to me last year, but I'm a slow learner. Why is the Saints/Seahawks game (both NFC teams) being shown on CBS?
Starting last year, I think, the NFL started letting CBS and Fox select a few games to carry that would normally be carried by the other network (i.e., NFC-vs-NFC games that would normally be on Fox, and AFC-vs-AFC games that would normally be on CBS).
Old 09-22-2019, 04:25 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
The Kansas City usually refers to Kansas City, MO. There is a Kansas City, KS but it's a relatively small city across the river.
FWIW, I didn't learn this until I was in my 30s, when I started having to travel to Kansas City frequently for business.

(And, yes, the Royals are also based in Missouri; their stadium is adjacent to the Chiefs' stadium.)
Old 09-22-2019, 05:00 PM

I used to live in Kansas and I mostly think of Kansas City as a Missouri city.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:49 PM

Holy shit, Daniel Jones gets the win! Not that the Bucs are worldbeaters, but a win is a win for your first ever rookie start. And he looked good doing it. I'm swooning over here.

23 of 36 (64%) for 336 yards (9.3 per attempt!) 2 TDs no picks 112.7 rating woohoo!

He fumbled the ball away twice while looking downfield and ignoring the pressure, but on the other hand he rushed for two more touchdowns. (Guy scored 35 points on the bench of my fantasy team, *grumble*.) I don't love the rushing, but he appears to be pass first so hopefully he doesn't get himself killed running the ball.

I honestly don't remember the last time the Giants actually won a game.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-22-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Do you think the girls on the corner are starting to say, "Heeeey Detroit. I see you."
Not till they recovered from fainting when they heard the sportscaster say "the undefeated Detroit Lions" after their third game.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Holy shit, Daniel Jones gets the win! Not that the Bucs are worldbeaters, but a win is a win for your first ever rookie start. And he looked good doing it. I'm swooning over here.

23 of 36 (64%) for 336 yards (9.3 per attempt!) 2 TDs no picks 112.7 rating woohoo!

He fumbled the ball away twice while looking downfield and ignoring the pressure, but on the other hand he rushed for two more touchdowns. (Guy scored 35 points on the bench of my fantasy team, *grumble*.) I don't love the rushing, but he appears to be pass first so hopefully he doesn't get himself killed running the ball.

I honestly don't remember the last time the Giants actually won a game.
Thanks to TB's kicker shanking a mid 30s yard field goal with time expiring. Cut him and mail him his clothes. What am embarrassing defeat for a team that was looking like they had a decent defense.

(It certainly defeated my pick em week at 538.)

OTOH, the Texans come back strong in the 2nd half, build a small lead, and hang on to beat Big Philly Style and the rest of the Chargers. Yay.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 09-22-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:06 PM

Saints get their first win without Brees since 2005!
Old 09-22-2019, 07:14 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

What a terrible loss by the Steelers. The defense gets five turnovers and they lose.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:30 PM

That was about the ugliest 49ers win I can remember.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:37 PM

Colts pick up their second win of the season with a victory over the visiting Falcons. Kicking game is back on point, and Jacoby Brissett looked damn good. No turnovers by the Indy offence. Mack is a solid RB. I'm stoked for this team.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Saints get their first win without Brees since 2005!
As a Seahawks fan I have to say congratulations to the Saints.

Seattle made so many mistakes, which added up led to a loss and just avoiding one of them might have let them win, especially with the final scores being less than a touchdown apart. But Kamara was a beast, Bridgewater made some decent plays, and the coaching staff for New Orleans was great.

It’s so sad that Russell Wilson could have such a spectacular game, probably the best of his career, and still lose because of others’ blunders.

Last edited by Atamasama; 09-22-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

The Browns coaching staff is clearly not very good. What's weird is that the reason for hiring a young offensive mind is to have them implement their offense - get a guy who knows what they want as OC to drill the plays into them, but the coach will design the offense and call the plays. But the Browns offense is significantly different from the offense under Kitchens as OC, which suggests that Kitchens let the new OC install his own offense, not Kitchen's. Which is weird, because you didn't hire Kitchens because you thought he'd be a good managerial/delegating head coach, but because you wanted his offensive mind. Why hire him at all if you're not going to use him that way?

Lots of sloppy coaching this year, discipline problems. New offensive system does not play to Baker's strengths at all, he's regressed terribly since last year. The whole structure of the coaching doesn't make sense - you'd have been better off bringing in a vet if you wanted a managerial style of HC.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I've happily gone from "Daniel Who? From Where?!? At 6th?!?!?" to believing this guy is a legit NFL QB.

No matter what else happens with Jones from here on out, I have to believe that it was a good pick. Nobody can tell the future, and he may not wind up with a full NFL career, but this kid knows how to quarterback.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
The Browns coaching staff is clearly not very good. What's weird is that the reason for hiring a young offensive mind is to have them implement their offense - get a guy who knows what they want as OC to drill the plays into them, but the coach will design the offense and call the plays. But the Browns offense is significantly different from the offense under Kitchens as OC, which suggests that Kitchens let the new OC install his own offense, not Kitchen's. Which is weird, because you didn't hire Kitchens because you thought he'd be a good managerial/delegating head coach, but because you wanted his offensive mind. Why hire him at all if you're not going to use him that way?

Lots of sloppy coaching this year, discipline problems. New offensive system does not play to Baker's strengths at all, he's regressed terribly since last year. The whole structure of the coaching doesn't make sense - you'd have been better off bringing in a vet if you wanted a managerial style of HC.
Why did they hire Kitchens to be head coach? Was it an "appease the franchise QB?" move or do they actually think he's ready for the job after a whopping 8 games as an OC?

I agree though that the most glaring problem is the coaching. The lack of discipline and play calling is pretty bad, and I can't imagine putting that on anyone but the coaching staff. Mayfield was over-hyped coming into this year, and, while I think he can still be a legitimate top 10 QB in the NFL, he's not currently making good decisions out there.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:51 AM

Meanwhile, the Packers get a nice win against a team that was bound and determined to lose that game. Getting turnovers is always nice, but you don't want to rely on them for wins.

I am getting worried about LaFleur's coaching outside the scripted beginnings. This is the second game in a row where they start awesomely, and then ... nothing. Rodgers isn't looking himself, which doesn't help, but I can't tell if it's just a lack of system familiarity (the scripted stuff is likely stuff they've practiced enough), or if it's play calling. Either way, it will be an issue if the Packers have Super Bowl aspirations this year.

But, woo, 3-0 and having a good defense. I like it.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Iíd argue that the Packersí defense is more than good. Itís got to be one of the best in the NFL. I donít know who saw that coming.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Iíd argue that the Packersí defense is more than good. Itís got to be one of the best in the NFL. I donít know who saw that coming.
To be fair, they've only played the Bears (who were awful offensively [or is is offensively awful]), and the Vikings and Broncos, who both ran all over the Packers, but also turned the ball over a total of 7 times in those two games. While I'd love to completely credit the defense with turnovers, a lot of them were just dumb throws and lucky bounces. Turnovers come and go.

The Packers need to be better at stopping the run (they're giving up 130+ yards a game on the ground, 25th in the league), or they'll always be within losing distance of teams with a competent QB during the game. The defense is definitely good, but the lack of run defense, the quality of opponents, and the reliance on turnovers are all serious considerations moving forward.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:15 AM

Is there a more exciting player to watch right now than Alvin Kamera? He slips, slides, jukes, powers, and speeds his way over, under and past tacklers like a greased pig. His balance is ridiculous, particularly for someone who runs so "tall." I love watching that guy play.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:18 AM

In other news, despite playing very well and the team getting a big win against the Titans, Jalen Ramsey calls in sick today. It could be the "flu", but c'mon, who really believes that. He's angling for a trade.

With Bell's holdout last year, Gordon's this year, the success of Zeke's holdout, AB's antics, and the Fins jettisoning any of their good players, it seems to me players are feeling more empowered to make demands of their teams. And while Ramsey is very, very good, it seems like no teams are willing to pay the demanded 2 first round picks for him. Personally, I'm kinda on his side, because the Jags have made some pretty poor decisions personal wise (Bortles and Foles get PAID, while Ramsey, and Ngakoue are still on their underwhelming rookie contracts), and are not well coached. And he's not holding out, he's actually playing (quite well too). But he's also over-reacting to the whole situation and putting himself before the team.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFacts View Post
Is there a more exciting player to watch right now than Alvin Kamera? He slips, slides, jukes, powers, and speeds his way over, under and past tacklers like a greased pig. His balance is ridiculous, particularly for someone who runs so "tall." I love watching that guy play.
Heís a force of nature.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:04 AM

Lions technically undefeated after 3 games is nice to see. And more importantly they are healthy so far. Most seasons their hopes are largely crushed by this point with close but stupid losses, and multiple let injuries
Old 09-23-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
To be fair, they've only played the Bears (who were awful offensively [or is is offensively awful]), and the Vikings and Broncos, who both ran all over the Packers, but also turned the ball over a total of 7 times in those two games. While I'd love to completely credit the defense with turnovers, a lot of them were just dumb throws and lucky bounces. Turnovers come and go.

The Packers need to be better at stopping the run (they're giving up 130+ yards a game on the ground, 25th in the league), or they'll always be within losing distance of teams with a competent QB during the game. The defense is definitely good, but the lack of run defense, the quality of opponents, and the reliance on turnovers are all serious considerations moving forward.
Yeah, I think that Packers defense hype train is a bit overmuch. Either Trubisky, Cousins and Flacco are total shit or the Packers D is booming, it probably isn't both.

My gut is that the Packers D is improved, but probably only top-half in the league as opposed to top 5. Trubisky and the Bears O is objectively dismal and broken, Flacco and the Broncos are only somewhat less screwed up, and the Vikings running game is very good and is masking and slapdash passing game in Minny.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:

49er fan checking in with agreement. See you Week 12!