Old 09-25-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I thought there were some good action scenes. But I don’t watch trailers, so...
I thought the action scenes destroyed the world and any claim this movie has to hard sci-if.

SPOILER:
I just don’t buy the economics of moon piracy, particularly as it manifested in the film. I just don’t buy that, in the film's universe, moon pirates can exist, be known to exist, and exist right outside of a US military space installation like it’s a FOB in Afghanistan (and they were definitely going for that as their real-world inspiration, the convoying and the whatnot) without being just pulverized.

Nothing about going to Mars made sense.

For that matter, thread no reason to go to Neptune either (for anyone, even TLJ's character). Also, I’m pretty sure that if Neptune's rings were really that dense with rocky debris, it would have long ago formed into a moon or moons.

And on and on...

So, not "hard sci-fi" in my opinion, it only pretends to that. As far as soft sic-fi goes, it lacks the necessary excitement or drama. This was a movie that didn’t know whether it wanted to be:

1) Gravity
2) Interstellar
3) Sunshine (surprised no one has mentioned that one yet)
4) Total Recall

By failing to commit to either hard sci-fi or some kind of soft-core sci-fi action flick, the film exposed itself to criticism on all fronts. Too cerebral and slow paced for the action crowd, too many dumb science errors, nonsensical decisions by characters, and world-building irregularities for the hard sci-fi crowd (basically, bad writing).

Overall, I give it a 7/10. Which is... okay, but not the sort of film that I’d defend against critics.

Last edited by ASL v2.0; 09-25-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:05 PM

On the size of the debris in Neptune’s rings: I watched a PBS special about the space probes that were sent to Saturn, and they said that although the rings are pretty thin in most places, there are spots where the chunks are as big as a mountain. And they turn out to be relatively new in cosmic terms, not having existed at the time of the dinosaurs—which means maybe they just need more time to reform into moons.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 09-25-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:39 PM

I get that hard-core sci fi fans would have some issues with the movie. Maybe that's because it's not so much a sci fi movie with a psychological element as that it's a psychological movie that uses sci fi as a vehicle. I'd give it a B, maybe a B-. After I got home, I looked up the NYT review, and these excerpts sum it up for me:

Quote:
In “Ad Astra,” an adventure tale weighed down by the burdens of masculinity, Brad Pitt plays an astronaut in flight. The film is a lovely, sincere and sometimes dopey confessional about fathers and sons, love and loss that takes the shape of a far out if deeply inward trip...

Visually austere and narratively clotted, “Ad Astra” tends to work best in isolated scenes rather than in the aggregate.I t’s a striking film that Gray has washed in soft, vibrant color and filled with geometric patterns that pick up on the beauty (and natural orderliness) of the astronomical wonders that McBride passes and visits during his travels through space....

Pitt’s soulful, nuanced performance — which becomes incrementally more externalized and visible, as if McBride were shedding a false face — holds the film together even when it starts to fray...
I'd also give kudos to Tommy Lee Jones' portrayal of the father.

I'm glad I went to see it. I'd recommend it to others--not as a great movie, but as a very good one.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:20 AM

I saw it a few days ago. Initially I thought it was pretty good but the (lack of) physics eventually left me shaking my head and I finished the movie disappointed. I think it's a stretch to call it hard sci fi.

My biggest problems were at the end:

SPOILER:

1. Brad Pitt character launching himself back to his spacecraft from the spinning antenna and getting it exactly right so that he collides with his target.
2. Not getting slowed down significantly by the rings.
3. Apparently not being subject to centrifugal force when standing on the spinning antenna.
4. Using the explosion to propel his ship back to Earth (what was it that imparted a force to the ship? How did it not destroy the ship in the process?)
5. Getting the aim exactly right so he makes it back to Earth.

It would have been a much better movie if they had either left him out there or just not made it so difficult to get back.

I didn't have a problem with him jetting around in his EVA suit, I caught a few glimpses of jets (of air?) coming from his backpack and assumed he had some kind of vectoring system.

My girlfriend took issue with the events on one of the spaceships that had sent out a mayday, but I found that reasonably plausible.

SPOILER:
It seems reasonable for a research craft to have baboons and possible for them to escape and inevitable for them to get hungry.

Last edited by Richard Pearse; 09-26-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:31 AM

I haven't seen it, but my son -- who's a great fan of Interstellar (and Christopher Nolan in general) -- has, and thought it was only so-so. With Interstellar, he went to great lengths to see it in its original film IMAX version, and then we both went to see it in digital laser IMAX at a more convenient location. I asked him if he wanted to go see Ad Astra with me, and he said no. So there's another verdict. I guess I'll eventually see it on TV.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:33 AM

If he gets a big boost in the direction he wants to go, he can use what fuel he has to adjust his course to make it go in the exact direction he wants (or more precisely, I suppose, to move in an arc that ends up where he wants to go).
Old 09-26-2019, 04:00 AM

I guess so. I'm not sure how the boost worked though. I can't remember why he didn't just have enough fuel to go back anyway.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:03 AM

I’m not sure about that either.

I still say whatever complaints you want to have about the physics, that aspect is better than you will find in the vast majority of movies. It’s the lugubrious and kind of hackneyed story that is more of a deficit, IMO.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Ok, I don’t see another thread about the film itself, what do people think of it? I’ve got AMC movie pass so I’m probably going to see it today or tomorrow in IMAX
I saw it last night with some friends. Overall, I liked it, but thought it was a bit padded at the beginning; I could have done without the moon pirates and the Norwegian mayday ship sequences so that we got Brad to Mars and into the rest of the story more quickly.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mapp View Post
I saw it last night with some friends. Overall, I liked it, but thought it was a bit padded at the beginning; I could have done without the moon pirates and the Norwegian mayday ship sequences so that we got Brad to Mars and into the rest of the story more quickly.
Yes, both those sequences could have been taken out of the movie, which leads me to wonder if they weren’t originally in the script, and then were inserted later for action and for the trailers. I still don’t get the economics of moon piracy against military convoys, but I do get that it was a thrilling action scene. The baboon thing at least helped establish a certain character as having (or lacking) a certain quality, though the value of knowing that is debatable.

I can imagine a draft of the script that was hard sci-fi with a lot of moments for quiet reflection against a backdrop of stunning visuals (with or without the deep-thoughts narration—for once the narration was fine IMHO), but that was then reviewed by a committee and had action set-pieces inserted, perhaps with some other tweaks to the script to alter what might have been perfectly sane/rational developments (like how McBride got on the spaceship leaving Mars, how he managed to get between ships, and how he managed to get home or if he ever did) and twisted them into their current, head-scratcher form.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:44 PM

In a roundabout way, the baboon thing established that Brad was a competent spaceship pilot. I think that was necessary for the rest of the plot. The moon pirate thing also established that he is handy with a gun. After those two scenes I think we are left with the sense that this is not just a scientist astronaut but a full fledged soldier with piloting chops.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Overall, I liked it, but thought it was a bit padded at the beginning; I could have done without the moon pirates and the Norwegian mayday ship sequences so that we got Brad to Mars and into the rest of the story more quickly.
Hmm, I thought those sequences were the interesting parts of the movie. Take those out and you really have a movie with no reason to see.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Hmm, I thought those sequences were the interesting parts of the movie. Take those out and you really have a movie with no reason to see.

Yes, precisely. Take those out and the “hackneyed and lugubrious main plot” I referenced is almost all you have. That sounds like a much worse version of the movie. And it’s not that I can’t handle something that is slow and contemplative: I really liked the remake of “Solaris”, for instance. But this was no “Solaris”.

ETA: In fairness, there is one aspect of the main plot I think is really cool and interesting to contemplate:

SPOILER:

The fact that they were just not finding any evidence of life elsewhere. Certainly there is Fermi’s paradox and the puzzlement over why we haven’t heard from intelligent life elsewhere when other star systems are much older than ours. I have a hunch that (if we’re not in a simulation) we came about through some real fluke that just isn’t as likely as Carl Sagan and others always assumed.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 09-27-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:05 AM

Tangent: Did they use a still from Space Cowboys for the young Tommy Lee Jones photo?
Old 09-27-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
If that's what you enjoy. Action without a narrative point just bores me, the longer they take to get on with it, the more tedious to me (the barrel-riding scene in one of the hobbit moves, for example, is what made me finally give up on Peter Jackson).

About the absence of alien life. At the end, when Brad first sees the bright blue light after his dad has gone, I thought for a minute that he was seeing something alien, and Dad had only just missed it. It wasn't until he was surfing through Neptune's ring that I realized what he'd been looking at was his own ship reflecting light.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
If that's what you enjoy. Action without a narrative point just bores me, the longer they take to get on with it, the more tedious to me (the barrel-riding scene in one of the hobbit moves, for example, is what made me finally give up on Peter Jackson).

I won’t speak for the person you were directly responding to, but I feel a bit indirectly strawmanned by this. I hate mindless action, and contemplative drama is great (one of my favorite films is “My Dinner with Andre”, which is literally just two people talking in a restaurant for the entire movie). But this movie’s quiet dramatic elements are just not strong enough to hang an entire production on.

I have seen my share of dramas that involve an angsty protagonist who goes on some kind of journey to confront an absent and problematic father. If you strip out the cool sci-fi worldbuilding, and just imagine this as a bare-bones stage production, it’s pretty weak.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
[Regarding Limmin's comparison of Ad Astra's empty theater to Avengers: Endgame full house] Not really a great or fair comparison. A small space film vs the climax to a multi-billion dollar twenty film series.
Ah, but I'm living in a town with a LOT of interest in space and astronautics, you might say a center of excellence on the topic. So much so that there should be much more interest in a real space movie than a fluffy comic book movie.

The fact that I did not see a high interest level in this movie, here, was looming very large in my comparison. I should have qualified it.

Last edited by Limmin; 09-27-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:37 PM

2nd weekend results are in. $10M for a total of $35.5M. A 47% drop from last weekend to number 5. Not a terrible drop but it needed to be a whole lot better. So no magic legs.

So far $53.5M overseas. Outside of China, it's not going to make all that much more.

It's going to take quite a bit of streaming money to make this a plus. But it's not a bomb-bomb either.

Not betting on a sequel.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Respectfully disagree again. A lot of my favorite movies deal with distractions that happen along the main character’s journey that aren’t related to their narrative. If they “just got on with it” you wouldn’t have movies like Apocalypse Now or Children of Men.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:00 PM

Ok, so having read the thread (but not any of the links provided by various posters) what I'm getting is that someone had a story or maybe even a finished script laying around for some terrestrial adventure story, hell maybe even a sword and sail sort of thing, and looked at what seems to be the going thing in Hollywood right now and adapted it into a space adventure? Cause space is popular right now and yanno wut? It worked for Treasure Island/Planet and sort of worked for that one Noah's ark story thing that ended with Planet Bob right? I'm asking because I'm debating next months movie budget with The Dorkling right now and this movie was on the list of possibles.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:57 PM

I think the most obvious comparison is with First Man because both are about how men can immerse themselves in masculine stoicism and occupational self-discipline to deal with terrible loss. But whereas that was communicated largely through Ryan Gosling's performance in the former, Ad Astra is largely dependent on Pitt's incessant voiceover. And while there are some great movies that use voiceover, it is also a more expedient (and one might say lazier) way of conveying your ideas in a medium that should always be More-Show-Less-Tell. I think this is also why people are comparing it to The Thin Red Line, but while that film genuinely wanted to wrestle with larger philosophical ideas, AA just uses it to hammer away at Pitt's level of denial about his Daddy issues.

So for me, the film doesn't feel slow because of the pace, but because nothing much really happens internally to Pitt's psyche until the act in Neptune. Pitt's a terrific actor (his recent stellar turn in Tarantino's film shows he can provide layers of complexity without spelling things out) but he really isn't given much to work with here. And
SPOILER:
can we finally abandon the conceit of a character "letting go" of their past by *literally* letting go of something? That ending felt just like the 3rd Indiana Jones movie, where the father has to give permission for the son to "let go". *groan*

Of course, there was a great opportunity for a killer metaphor about how in space travel everyone is a research primate, but the film largely ignores that, as well as the opportunity to use two fantastic actresses on Mars: Ruth Negga and [redacted for cameo spoiler]. Why bother putting them there if they're going to be wasted? There have been two really really interesting "hard" sci-fi films this year, the international High Life and Aniara--neither perfect but far more provocative and original than this well-intentioned effort that looks great but for me was an emotional fizzle.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Saw it today. I thought it was a decent hour-long movie. Unfortunately, in the theater I saw it in, someone must have slowed the projector down to half speed, because it took two hours to get through.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:06 PM

MM, I am drawing a blank on the cameo.

I appreciate your recommendations for hard sci-fi and I will check those out. Did you see the low budget but excellent Prospect from last year?
Old 10-01-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:

I appreciate your recommendations for hard sci-fi and I will check those out. Did you see the low budget but excellent Prospect from last year?
For High life, you’ve got to really power through the first fifteen minutes or so. Gratuitous shots of a shrieking baby pad the run time early on.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:47 PM

So any final totals on how much it made ?
Old 10-01-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
So any final totals on how much it made ?
Domestic 36 million. Worldwide 90.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:17 PM

Only 10 days after coming out, Ad Astra has already turned millions in profits. Wow. Unstoppable juggernaut. You might have to wait for second tier box offices in China and India, but you could probably even make millions with a Natalie Portman astronaut movie!

Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood, all around great, but Brad Pitt flying to Mars in a spaceship and I'm distracted by thoughts like, "Wow, his ears are really tiny! Don't noses and ears keep growing as you age? I need to look that up when I get home. How old is Pitt? 55? Is ear reduction surgery a thing? Holy crap then what about Tommy Lee Jones? His nose and ears are huge. Is he old enough to be Pitt's father? How old is Al Gore?"

Not exactly gripping entertainment.

If you want to talk about bombs and how crucial advertising and owning critics is to the business of movies, I also saw Zeroville opening night in a 120 seat cinema with 119 empty seats. I stretched out and pretended I was an old timey Hollywood producer with my own screening room, it was amazing.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMogul View Post
Of course, there was a great opportunity for a killer metaphor about how in space travel everyone is a research primate, but the film largely ignores that, as well as the opportunity to use two fantastic actresses on Mars: Ruth Negga and [redacted for cameo spoiler].
Quote:
I also have no idea who you're referring to here.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I also have no idea who you're referring to here.
SPOILER:
Natasha Lyonne
was the intake staffer for new arrivals on Mars.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Jays Fan

It's up to $92 million but that is as of a week ago; it'll clear $100 million pretty easily.

Whether that is a "bomb" depends on how you look at it. It will not lose money. I think, however, that it's fair to say Fox was hoping for more from a sci-fi spectacular starring one of the most famous actors alive. In terms of opportunity cost, one could argue their production money would have been better spent elsewhere.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
It's up to $92 million but that is as of a week ago; it'll clear $100 million pretty easily.
Remember: only a fraction of that money goes to the studio, esp. since most of the "total" you list is overseas. Plus they have to pay for marketing which isn't part of the production budget.

I don't see them making money on it, even with streaming and such.

(Note that China isn't yet showing it. So the worldwide total will really pass $100M by a significant margin. Shoot, even if it doesn't make another dime overseas it will still pass $100M. For a movie that was initially budgeted at $80M and reshoots sent it over $100M, this is nowhere near enough box office.)
Old 10-03-2019, 10:23 AM

What happens when we attempt to go To the Stars?
I think the movie tried to present these 3 sub-points:

SPOILER:
(1) Spending time in space tends to mentally degrade people and animals. Everyone goes through those very frequent psych evaluations to assess emotional problems. There was a sign or two on the moon reminding people to get help if they are thinking of suicide. We saw the astronaut who froze during the problematic landing, which McBride handled. Everyone was aware of it…. McBride said something like “We know why you had a problem, and I won’t report you.” The baboons on the research lab went crazy. And finally, highly accomplished and regarded astronaut Tommy Lee Jones killed the rest of his crew.
(2) As humans venture to the stars, we just take our ordinary human attributes with us. Subway restaurant on the Moon. Criminals (pirates) chasing you to take your stuff. The loneliness people feel when they are away from home.
(3) The Lima project apparently showed conclusively that there is no other life in the observable universe.

These points all coalesce into what I think is the main point of the story…

SPOILER:
… that the lofty pursuit of going “Ad Astra” (To the Stars) is pointless, because all we really need is back on earth. There are no other great intelligences we can possibly meet which will help advance mankind. Brad Pitt finally realized this when talking with his dad and said something like “All we have is each other”. He understood that his adventures in space were not important as his relationships with people.

Last edited by vertizontal; 10-03-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:06 PM

These are IMDb numbers 14 days after first released, before the third week begins:
Budget:$87,500,000 (estimated)
Gross USA: $37,664,716
Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $92,305,664

So is there still a doubt in anyone's mind this is already or will become a profitable venture? So now it's just not profitable enough?

Oh OK, we have no way of knowing how much they spent of marketing or what "fraction" (1/3? 999/1000?) of foreign box office goes to the owners of the property. There's probably good reasons why business people don't really open their books to the public, guess there's no way to rationally discuss this then...

What percentage of a Hollywood film's revenue is box office anyway? Is is even near half anymore? How many more subscribers does Netflix have than in 2015 when The Martian's final worldwide gross topped $600,000,000?

Are there other projects that might have been stronger investments? Ooooh, now we're really speculating...
Old 10-03-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunoia View Post
These are IMDb numbers 14 days after first released, before the third week begins:
Budget:$87,500,000 (estimated)
Gross USA: $37,664,716
Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $92,305,664

So is there still a doubt in anyone's mind this is already or will become a profitable venture? So now it's just not profitable enough?

Oh OK, we have no way of knowing how much they spent of marketing or what "fraction" (1/3? 999/1000?) of foreign box office goes to the owners of the property. There's probably good reasons why business people don't really open their books to the public, guess there's no way to rationally discuss this then...

What percentage of a Hollywood film's revenue is box office anyway? Is is even near half anymore? How many more subscribers does Netflix have than in 2015 when The Martian's final worldwide gross topped $600,000,000?

Are there other projects that might have been stronger investments? Ooooh, now we're really speculating...
Domestically, about 55% of the box office goes to the movie distributor in the first week, and that slides down to under 50%. Roughly, you can assume 50% for a movie that’s been in the box office a couple of months.

For non US films, the distributor keeps a much smaller number, typically closer to 25%. It does vary a lot by market, but last I saw 25% was good for China.

Does that help?
Old 10-03-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
Domestically, about 55% of the box office goes to the movie distributor in the first week, and that slides down to under 50%. Roughly, you can assume 50% for a movie that’s been in the box office a couple of months.

For non US films, the distributor keeps a much smaller number, typically closer to 25%. It does vary a lot by market, but last I saw 25% was good for China.

Does that help?
Cite?
Old 10-03-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Cite?
Sure, after you cite

Quote:
Oh OK, we have no way of knowing how much they spent of marketing or what "fraction" (1/3? 999/1000?) of foreign box office goes to the owners of the property
Old 10-03-2019, 06:08 PM

Oh fine, here’s an article to get you started.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/how-much-mon...ofitab-5747305
Old 10-03-2019, 06:35 PM

Thanks gizmodo entertainment news, the question doesn't seem so cut-and-dried as Maserschmidt would have us believe.

So I'll ask again: So is there still a doubt in anyone's mind this is already or will become a profitable venture? So now it's just not profitable enough?
Old 10-03-2019, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

That article is eight years old, and some things have changed since then. It talks about DVD revenues, for example, and I'll bet that's a much smaller number today. Given that this was a Disney production, I expect it to end up on their streaming service, so there's probably very little in revenues from that.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:39 PM

Those "What do you think?" constructions are also popular in modern journalism, because it's not so much trying to highlight any truth or fighting any ignorance anymore, more just speculating on what people are capable of believing. So I'll answer with a few more things I'm capable of believing, but still have only one question in the end.

Am I for original screenplays? Yes.
Am I for hard sci-fi? Yes.
Did I enjoy Ad Astra? No. Six plex-type theatre visits in September, it's the movie I enjoyed the least. (It would be even more damning by including a few repertory or "arthouse" theater visits.)
Are plex-type theaters in North America dying? Probably, based on my city. The busiest in September was Official Secrets on a Friday with around 75% vacant seats.
Would North American plex-type theaters dying be the end of moviemaking? No way.
Are Hollywood distributor business deals a matter of public record? No.
Would movie business people likely lie about accounting? Yes.
Could past distributor deals be similar to ones made for Ad Astra? Maybe.
Is the fact that Academy Award nominee Capernaum (2018) made $54,315,149 or 32.7 times U.S. box office in China be reason to expect Ad Astra will make two billion dollars of box office in China? Probably not.
Will Ad Astra be more profitable than 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), Contact (1997), Moon (2009), Gravity (2013), Interstellar (2014), The Martian (2015), and Lucy in the Sky (2019)? Some yes, some no.
Is putting a Hollywood star in a spacesuit and easy $100,000,000? Yes.
In these type movies, is which director more important than which star? Seemingly.

Again, my only question:

Are we still pretending making this movie was in any way a financial risk?

Last edited by eunoia; 10-03-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:55 PM

It was really interesting to listen to the debate over this film on the /Filmcast podcast. The host of the podcast, David Chen, started out by saying he just did not like the movie, although it had good elements. He proceeded to say that the ideas were good, and the world building was excellent, and there were really cool action scenes, but that the execution of the ideas and the basic father-son plot was really cringey. This is exactly the same thing I think about the movie, but those positive elements were enough for me to give it a thumbs up overall.

One of the positive remarks made was something I agree with but hadn’t specifically thought about before. That is that the fight scenes were presented as realistic, gritty, desperate, rather than stylized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertizontal View Post
What happens when we attempt to go To the Stars?
I think the movie tried to present these 3 sub-points:

SPOILER:
(1) Spending time in space tends to mentally degrade people and animals. Everyone goes through those very frequent psych evaluations to assess emotional problems. There was a sign or two on the moon reminding people to get help if they are thinking of suicide. We saw the astronaut who froze during the problematic landing, which McBride handled. Everyone was aware of it…. McBride said something like “We know why you had a problem, and I won’t report you.” The baboons on the research lab went crazy. And finally, highly accomplished and regarded astronaut Tommy Lee Jones killed the rest of his crew.
(2) As humans venture to the stars, we just take our ordinary human attributes with us. Subway restaurant on the Moon. Criminals (pirates) chasing you to take your stuff. The loneliness people feel when they are away from home.
(3) The Lima project apparently showed conclusively that there is no other life in the observable universe.

These points all coalesce into what I think is the main point of the story…

SPOILER:
… that the lofty pursuit of going “Ad Astra” (To the Stars) is pointless, because all we really need is back on earth. There are no other great intelligences we can possibly meet which will help advance mankind. Brad Pitt finally realized this when talking with his dad and said something like “All we have is each other”. He understood that his adventures in space were not important as his relationships with people.

Very interesting and thoughtful points.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Very interesting and thoughtful points.
Quoting spoilers has unspoilered them. There may be 2 or 3 people yet to see Ad Astra.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:38 PM

They are still spoiled in my view of the post. Must be something hinky with your browser. ETA: Also, those are not spoiled-at-a-glance type spoilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post

Ah, right. Yeah, she was a fun character.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 10-03-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Quoting spoilers has unspoilered them. There may be 2 or 3 people yet to see Ad Astra.
No they haven’t. The quoted post displays correctly.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
SPOILER:
Natasha Lyonne
Has she ever played a character that is not that exact same type? She is exactly the same in everything I’ve ever seen her in, this film included.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:14 AM

freeway 2 ......
Old 10-04-2019, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Has she ever played a character that is not that exact same type? She is exactly the same in everything I’ve ever seen her in, this film included.

Yeah, she is not the type of actor who is cast because she is a chameleon, but because she has a big personality that “pops” on the screen. That’s OK, I still like her—although I’m glad we also have talented actors with more range.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
So I'll ask again: So is there still a doubt in anyone's mind this is already or will become a profitable venture? So now it's just not profitable enough?
So, you're just ignoring every post I've made. Well, okay then.

The chances of it making net money are very small.

Taking the original budget, the reshoots and the promotion budget together the studio is out at least $150M. It won't make half that back in the theaters. And a movie like this, with it's lack of buzz and CinemaScore isn't going to do well on video.

OTOH, it isn't an outright "bomb", it's only an ordinary big-ish budget movie that didn't do all that well.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
...it's only an ordinary big-ish budget movie that didn't do all that well.
*...14 days after it was released.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
*...14 days after it was released.
Which is the time most wide-release movies make the majority of their money.

It's not going to be making more this weekend than in previous weeks.

I'm not sure why you seem so weirdly invested in the film being considered a success.

Last edited by Eyebrows 0f Doom; 10-04-2019 at 02:04 PM.