Old 09-24-2019, 10:25 PM

You've only seen the sequel(s)?

As I was driving last week, a song from the Escape from L.A. soundtrack popped up. This got me thinking: I've seen Escape from L.A. but I've never seen Escape from New York.

I've seen, and honestly quite enjoyed, Rock 'n' Roll High School Forever but I've never seen Rock 'n' Roll High School. And somehow, I've seen all the movies in the Terminator series...except the first movie. I've seen Blade Runner 2049 but not Blade Runner. Until fairly recently, I could've added Army of Darkness to the list too because I saw it more than 20 years before I saw either version of Evil Dead.

How about you?

Last edited by elfkin477; 09-24-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

I don't think I've seen Mad Max in its entirely (or if I did, it left no impression). I've seen all the sequels and derivative works.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:27 PM

Both of yinz are definitely missing out. Go do yer homework!

Though I will admit that evil dead 2 and mad max 2 (The Road Warrior) are the best of those serieseseses.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:29 PM

If we can include TV series I have seen all the episodes of the Star Trek television series except for the original. I have only seen about a dozen episodes of the original series; I find it something of a chore to watch between the acting and the cheesy special effects.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:03 AM

Lupin III is much better than Lupin. (Sorry).
Old 09-25-2019, 04:23 AM

One day in college, I rolled my ankle playing basketball. I wanted to back out of going to the movies that night, but my "friends" told me to walk it off and go with them to see Highlander II: The Quickening. I wasn't nearly as disappointed as they were, but I was in a splint and crutches the next day (and month).

It's probably somewhat cheating to count Marvel movies, but the first Cap, Thor, and Tom Holland Spider-Man movies I saw were The Winter Soldier, Ragnarok, and Far From Home.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwgreen View Post
Joke's a bit dulled by the fact that really is a sequel. Lupin III is the grandson of Arsene Lupin, who appeared in a series of short stories, novels, and plays from 1905 to 1935.

I can't think of any examples of the thread's topic, for me, now...but two mentioned did apply at one point...

I saw Army of Darkness years before seeing Evil Dead I or II, and Beyond Thunderdome well before Mad Max or The Road Warrior. (I have since completed both series.)

I can think of a few video game examples, though - Skyrim was the first Elder Scrolls game that I played, and still the only one I've finished (Arena, I couldn't even get to run, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion the systems turned me off pretty early in), and I've only played Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:26 AM

I can think of a few examples:

* I still haven't seen the first Evil Dead movie.

* Back in the day, I saw Aliens before watching Alien, Terminator 2 before Terminator, and Empire Strikes Back before Star Wars.

* In the early '90s, the Chinese students association at our university would regularly import action movies from Hong Kong. So I've seen a number of Jackie Chan and Jet Li sequels without seeing the originals: Drunken Master II, Armour of God II: Operation Condor, Police Story 3: Supercop, and Once Upon a Time in China II come to mind.

Last edited by hogarth; 09-25-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:44 AM

I watched the Pink Panther movies from The Return of the Pink Panther until Trail of the Pink Panther when they came out. It wasn't until much later that I watched the original Pink Panther movie.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

I'll bet a lot of more people have seen the Rambo films than ever saw the first film in the series, First Blood*

I know that, although I've seen Billy Jack, I've never seen the film that introduced the character, Born Losers. (Although, apparently, Billy Jack was the film Tom Laughlin wanted to make in the first place, and quickly dashed off Born Losers to capitalize on the Biker Film craze and get his character introduced. a case where the "sequel" was the intended real film, with a sorta fake "prequel" made first. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Born_Losers )

* When the next film came out, it was called Rambo: First Blood Part II, although most people thought of it as just Rambo. The next film was called Rambo III. But since there was never a film called Rambo II that always bothered me. Maybe they shoulda called it Rambo II : First Blood Part III.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

You know, even though the James Bond films are very well known, I'll bet most people have never seen Dr. No, the first in the Eon series. It's the oldest, and rarely shown on TV anymore.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:38 AM

I've seen The Two Jakes, but I've never seen Chinatown.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
You know, even though the James Bond films are very well known, I'll bet most people have never seen Dr. No, the first in the Eon series. It's the oldest, and rarely shown on TV anymore.
Dr. No is great, but the bit with the tarantula is laughable. But you saw that with spiders a lot in movies then.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

I've seen all the non-AvP Alien movies but have not seen the original Alien all the way through.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I don't think I've seen Mad Max in its entirely (or if I did, it left no impression). I've seen all the sequels and derivative works.
This was the first answer that came to mind for me.

I've seen a couple of the later Harry Potter films but never seen the first one.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mad Max wasn't a big film in the States. The Road Warrior was, and got a lot of play, but I don't recall the original film being re-released after that, or even shown on television. The only time I saw the film was when I rented it myself. Even after the release of the other Mad Max films, I don't recall seeing the original broadcast or anything.

The first film is very much unlike the sequels. There has evidently been some sort of upheaval, but most people live in something like a normal city, and it's all nice and green. That whole Desert-Apocalyptic Hell thing started with The Road Warrior, and they kept it up through the other sequels. I think the first Mad Max film would be too jarringly different for people to relate to.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:33 AM

It's no longer true, but it once was. Star Wars.

Due to whatever distribution peculiarities, when I was a ten-year-old in the West of Scotland, it basically eternally played in some big cinema in Glasgow, but didn't run in the local cinema. And while, by God, they had three small boys desperate to see it, my parents took the line that they weren't being dragged up to Glasgow to see it.

My younger brother was still the huge Star Wars nut. As a result my initial exposure to the first film was the novelisation. Probably as a result, what's even more weirdly true is that my first exposure to Empire was a comic book version he'd bought. So I didn't even get to see the big twist on screen. But that did play at the local cinema and so I did see the sequel in first run. Finally saw the first film (in a special double bill) a bit later.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Like a lot of people my age, Terminator 2 was seen by me before the original. Terminator 2 was all the talk of my school friends, especially the liquid metal effects in the movie. For a few years there, I'd never seen the original Terminator. I eventually went back and saw it, but I knew tons of kids my age that had only seen T2.

I would agree that Mad Max is kind of like this to. I would go further to predict even more people have now seen Fury Road, possibly not realizing it is the fourth one.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:29 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I saw one of the later Harry Potter movies but not the others. In fact, this one was the first of a 2-part movie (#7 maybe?) and I didn't see the next one.

Same for Hunger Games. I saw Mockingjay but not any of the others, including Mockingjay 2. Both of those examples were because a friend wanted to see them (she's a fan of both series).

I've seen Terminator Genisys and Mad Max: Fury Road without seeing the originals. Both of those came up in the sci-fi movie marathon I go to every year (in fact they were both the same year). I've also seen Terminator Salvation and two different Planet of the Apes movies but not the first.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Mad Max wasn't a big film in the States. The Road Warrior was, and got a lot of play, but I don't recall the original film being re-released after that, or even shown on television. The only time I saw the film was when I rented it myself. Even after the release of the other Mad Max films, I don't recall seeing the original broadcast or anything.

The first film is very much unlike the sequels. There has evidently been some sort of upheaval, but most people live in something like a normal city, and it's all nice and green. That whole Desert-Apocalyptic Hell thing started with The Road Warrior, and they kept it up through the other sequels. I think the first Mad Max film would be too jarringly different for people to relate to.
I liked the first Mad Max film and think it fills in Max's back story well. You get to see that he was once a police officer, had a wife and kid, and what drove him down the path of a loner. And of course you get to see ToeCutter played by the same actor who plays ImmortanJoe even though George Miller says they're not the same character.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:11 PM

You could say that Mad Max depicts the fall of civilization, The Road Warrior depicts the middle of the post-apocalyptic chaos, (tribes, wilderness, and roving marauders), and Beyond Thunderdome (and Fury Road) depict a time when civilization has begun to rise again (you have settlements like Barter Town, Gas Town, etc as well as some trade, infrastructure, and manufacturing)
Old 09-25-2019, 01:21 PM

I have seen all the Star Trek movies except the first one. I have seen bits and pieces of it when it aired on TV, but I never watched it in its entirety.

I already sort of mentioned it in another thread, but I have seen The Rescuers Down Under (I think we saw it in the theater when I was a kid), but I have never seen the original The Rescuers.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 09-25-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwgreen View Post
I looked up Arsene Lupin on Amazon out of curiosity but I'll probably never buy it.

Last edited by furryman; 09-25-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:34 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I've seen Dawn of the Dead but not Night of the Living Dead and Army of Darkness but neither Evil Dead nor Evil Dead II.

I do not feel cheated.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

I watched Army of Darkness but I'll probably never watch The Evil Dead.
I watched Halloween 3 but I'll probably never watch Halloween.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:50 PM

I think I've seen every Terminator movie since T2, and every episode of the Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but I've never seen the original The Terminator.

I've seen Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, and Alien vs. Predator and Alien vs. Predator: Requiem, but I've never seen the original Alien.

I've seen Evil Dead II, Army of Darkness, and every episode of the Ash vs. Evil Dead TV series, but I've never seen the original Evil Dead.

Part of the above is due to when they were released, part due to which movies I chanced into being dragged to see by friends, and part due to the fact that while I enjoy sci-fi and fantasy movies with horror elements, I don't like out-and-out horror movies.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:13 PM

House 2: The Second Story

I can't even _find_ what its a sequel too....

Last edited by simster; 09-25-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:25 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Oh yeah, I've also only seen Troll 2 without having seen Troll
Old 09-25-2019, 02:29 PM

I have seen Malcom X but have not seen Malcolm I through IX.

Last edited by dorvann; 09-25-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:25 PM

I saw "Apollo 13", but missed the first twelve films.

Also, has anyone heard Adele's other 22 albums?
Old 09-25-2019, 03:38 PM

I've read one Harry Potter book - the third one. I think maybe the first movie was out around then or about to come out, but I don't think I'd watched it by that point. I think I've seen House II a loooong time ago, but never the first one.

Evil Dead 2 basically condenses the plot of the first film into the first 20 minutes or so. If you've only seen AoD, at least watch the second one, it's fun.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'm only sure of one. I've seen Evil Dead II, but never the original. I vaguely recall that I was trying to watch all the titles on some list of greatest horror movies I came across somewhere. The sequel made the cut, but the original didn't.

I saw Aliens about two decades before I finally got around to watching Alien. I watched The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly five or ten years before I watched the earlier two films in the Dollars Trilogy.

I'm afraid I've lost track of which Batman movies I've seen and which I haven't, and which movies count as part of what Batman series. If you count The Dark Knight trilogy as one series, I don't think I ever saw the first installment, but I think I've seen the other two. I'm not sure though.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:26 PM

nm

Last edited by terentii; 09-25-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I've seen Dawn of the Dead but not Night of the Living Dead.
Oh, this too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Like a lot of people my age, Terminator 2 was seen by me before the original. Terminator 2 was all the talk of my school friends, especially the liquid metal effects in the movie.
I take it that you are also between your mid-30s and early 40s? I was 14 when T2 came out.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Add me to the list of of who saw T2 before seeing the original Terminator. I was really confused; why is everyone so afraid of this guy that they hadn't seen before. Seeing the original made it make sense.

How about partial movies? I had HBO at one time and recorded Clockwork Orange on a VHS tape (way back when). I started watching the tape and was through the first third of the movie, when I realized that the tape was going to run out before the end of the movie. Then I noticed that Clockwork Orange was being shown live, on HBO for the last time this run. (This was before on demand was available). However, they were on the last third of the movie. I stopped the tape, saw the final third, and then watched the middle third on the tape. The order I saw the three parts was first-third-second. THAT was confusing! especially for that movie.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
Add me to the list of of who saw T2 before seeing the original Terminator. I was really confused; why is everyone so afraid of this guy that they hadn't seen before. Seeing the original made it make sense.
I don't think Linda Hamilton gets nearly enough credit for her freakout scene in the mental hospital when she first sees Arnold Schwarzenegger, playing a character physically identical to the one that chased her through the first movie.

In retrospect, though, how much face to face time did she actually get with the original T800? She saw him briefly in the dance club when he came within a second of shooting her in the head, and a little later when he punched through a windshield to get to her, but by the time of the final confrontation in the factory, his human skin had been burned off and he was reduced to his robotic form. Clearly a lasting impression was made at some point.

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 09-25-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

A friend of mine has seen only one Kevin Smith movie; Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Even Smith has said that movie is strictly for his hardcore fans; it's full of callbacks to his previous movies. But my friend enjoyed it.

The only time I can recall seeing a sequel without seeing the original is Urban Legends: Final Cut. I was on a date with a woman who was a horror movie fan and she picked the movie (she had seen Urban Legends). But this was a nineties slasher movie; I had no problem picking up the plot.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWB View Post

Also, has anyone heard Adele's other 22 albums?
I saw Leonard part 6. I somehow missed the first 5.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
I looked up Arsene Lupin on Amazon out of curiosity but I'll probably never buy it.
You don't need to. It's public domain and available at Gutenberg
Old 09-25-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWB View Post
You don't have to watch every single one, but definitely don't miss Apollo 11 on IMAX if you have the chance.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
You don't have to watch every single one, but definitely don't miss Apollo 11 on IMAX if you have the chance.
The special effects were soooo fake.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:20 PM

I read a significant portion of the last Twilight book, but never the earlier ones. I'd downloaded it as an eBook for my sister and got bored and curious. The part I read actually seemed to be exciting, building up to something big.

I have, however, read all of "Mark Reads Twilight" where a man who was abused by his adoptive parents due to being gay reads and reacts (with incredulity and disgust) at the books,l, chapter by chapter. So I do know that the part I read was the most exciting part of the whole series but became a big fizzle.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I've seen The Two Jakes, but I've never seen Chinatown.
Even having seen Chinatown, The Two Jakes was still indecipherable to me.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:31 AM

When LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring came out, I had zero interest and skipped it. A year later I saw the trailer for LOTR: The Two Towers, and was gripped by the amazing battle footage. My buddy was planning to see it, and assured me I could follow it without having seen the first film.

That didn't go well. I eventually saw LOTR: Return of the King, but never went back to see Fellowship, and probably never will.

I've seen most of the Star Trek films with the original Shatner/Nimoy/Takei/etc. cast. But never seen Star Wars The Movie.

Saw Conan the Destroyer, but never caught Conan the Barbarian. I doubt I missed much.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Other than a couple of scenes some cable channel, I have yet to see the first Expendables.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
House 2: The Second Story

I can't even _find_ what its a sequel too....
AIUI, the second one is almost entirely unrelated to - and much better than - the first.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-27-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
In retrospect, though, how much face to face time did she actually get with the original T800? She saw him briefly in the dance club when he came within a second of shooting her in the head, and a little later when he punched through a windshield to get to her, but by the time of the final confrontation in the factory, his human skin had been burned off and he was reduced to his robotic form. Clearly a lasting impression was made at some point.
In T2, I seem to recall scenes of the doctor (the one who she sticks the hypo into his neck during her escape) showing her surveillance video of the first Terminator from when he storms the police station in the first movie. Based on her reaction, you get the impression she's been shown this video repeatedly. So even if she didn't have many face-to-face encounters, she would have seen this enough to be able to recognize the "guy" who had been hunting her down.

And yes, her reaction when they come to help her escape was really well done. You can imagine the massive confusion of seeing the Terminator...with her son. She may not have before, but that would be enough to question your own sanity.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Oh yeah, I've also only seen Troll 2 without having seen Troll
Movie trivia: the main character in the first movie is named Harry Potter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormac262 View Post
In T2, I seem to recall scenes of the doctor (the one who she sticks the hypo into his neck during her escape)
He's the same doctor to be in the first 3 movies.

And if you're a (wo)man of culture, he voices LeChuck.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I've seen, and honestly quite enjoyed, Rock 'n' Roll High School Forever but I've never seen Rock 'n' Roll High School.
Same.

I saw T2 before The Terminator, but it didn't leave much of impression. I like it much more now than I did then, but still like the first movie best.

Oh, I saw Superman II before or III before Superman. My parents said II in a theater when I was toddler, but if so it had to not be when it first came out, because I hadn't been born yet then. III makes more sense. But I was too young to remember, anyway. Later I saw them all (and Supergirl), but couldn't say in what order.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:49 PM

I saw Major League II on HBO in the mid-90s when it was (I'm sure) something they could license cheaply, but I've never seen the first one. I saw Piranha 3D, but I've never seen the first.

Mad Max: Fury Road is one of my favorite movies, but I've never seen the others. I watched part of the original a while ago but got bored and never finished it. I may give it another try some time, and I'm sure I'll watch the others at some point.