Old 09-26-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

The Masked Singer

So...anyone else want to admit they're watching this completely stupid show?

I saw most of the season premiere last night, but missed the first performance by the Butterfly. The characters are The Butterfly, The Egg, The Thingamajig, The Skeleton, The Ladybug, The Tree, The Rottweiler, and Ice Cream.

The judges are the same. Thank Og for Dr. Ken, he still makes me laugh.

So far, I'm kind of liking The Skeleton. He reminds me of Wallace Shawn for some reason, although I don't think he could possibly be the one. He seems a little too fragile to be dancing and singing in a costume. I also liked Tree. Someone suggested that Tree is Wendy McLendon Covey, and I think that's a very good possibility!

The Egg was unmasked, and not a moment too soon for me. I was already beyond annoyed with egg jokes. He turned out to be Ninja, a professional video game player of whom I have never heard. My stepson knew who he was, though.

Any one else see it, have any guesses?
Old 09-26-2019, 08:47 AM

You cray-cray girl! I saw only the end of the show. I have seen lots of the ends of that show because I flip over to Fox for our local news at 9pm.
I do not understand the premise of the show. I figure they are guessing who the semi-famous people is, under the mask. To what end? And those costumes are just creepy. Gah!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 09-26-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:53 AM

I haven't seen it, but I'm assuming none of the singers are named Ozzy. How long do you think he could get away with lumbering around a stage, with his unique voice, and dressed as a tree?

Last edited by bobot; 09-26-2019 at 08:54 AM. Reason: plural
Old 09-26-2019, 08:55 AM

Did the judges continue to guess A-list celebrities, as if one of the singers is going to be Beyonce or something?
Old 09-26-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
The Egg was unmasked, and not a moment too soon for me. I was already beyond annoyed with egg jokes. He turned out to be Ninja, a professional video game player of whom I have never heard. My stepson knew who he was, though.
He was Ice Cream. Egg was Olympic ice skater and Tara Lipinski BFF Johnny Weir. The way he moves, or even stands, is so distinct that even two of judges were able to guess it.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

That's how poor my memory is. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

I'd rather not watch the show, but I am curious who the masked singers are, so please update the thread when folks get unmasked.
Thanks!
Brian

Last edited by N9IWP; 09-26-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:28 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
I'd rather not watch the show, but I am curious who the masked singers are, so please update the thread when folks get unmasked.
Thanks!
Brian
I have a weird relationship with the show. I donít watch it. I find there is way too much filler. But I donít miss seeing the highlights and reveals the next day.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:38 PM

I am watching, I love this show. I saw that mj of mjsbigblog guessed that the Rottweiler is Chris Daughtry (American Idol finalist/successful rock band) and she is a longtime AI commentator so I think that’s likely who it is. I don’t have any other guesses.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:28 AM

I DVR the show and start it halfway through, so I can skip past Jenny McCarthy's incredibly stupid prattle and fluff.
Johnny Weir was a given. I had no idea who Ninja was, so that was a shrug moment.
I was not liking the autotuned of the voices during the questions. Skeleton has too obvious of a voice to be covered by autotuned. I think it's Paul Shafer. Tree, I think is Ana Gasteyer. Maybe.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:29 AM

I think the Skeleton is Dan Akroyd.

In the clues video he mentioned a "wild & crazy" time, just like his old SNL character, and the 2nd fiddle comment I think was a nod to The Blues Brothers with John Belushi.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:03 AM

The rumor around here is that Victor Oladipo of the Pacers is Thingamagig. He does sing... said he has to keep up with the pace (Pacers)... references to 4 (his number).
Old 09-28-2019, 10:06 AM

I love this show except for Jenny McCarthy.

I have a worse record for guessing correctly than Ken, though.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I love this show except for Jenny McCarthy.
But despite being an idiot she looked good naked when she was younger. What better qualifications could you ask for?
Old 09-28-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
The rumor around here is that Victor Oladipo of the Pacers is Thingamagig. He does sing... said he has to keep up with the pace (Pacers)... references to 4 (his number).
As a Pacers fan, I find this idea to be compelling. (If he's any good.)
Old 10-03-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Well, I missed half the show again! Anyway, the costumes were Black Widow, Leopard, Flamingo, and Panda.

Flamingo seemed pretty talented, Panda did not. Oh, and Jenny McCarthy a shrill idiot (in case you were wondering).

Our guess for Panda was Drew Carey, and I wish we'd been right because I think he'd be great on this show! However, it was
SPOILER:
Laila Ali, Muhammed Ali's daughter.
I guess she's a legit celebrity, just not one I care about. I don't know any sports players.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:00 AM

Adding to my former guesses, wife and I are both convinced that the Leopard is Seal.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:17 AM

I refuse to support anything that encourages Jenny McCarthy to continue existing.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
I think the Skeleton is Dan Akroyd.

In the clues video he mentioned a "wild & crazy" time, just like his old SNL character, and the 2nd fiddle comment I think was a nod to The Blues Brothers with John Belushi.
Also, didn't he start a vodka company called Skull some years back? The only thing is, The Skeleton looks like someone who is on the small side, IIRC. I can't wait to watch ep 2 Hulu.

Also also, is Wahlburg a producer on this show or something? Because I really cannot imagine how anyone would think JM could add value to this show. She's beyond vapid and the stoopid far outweighs any physical attributes (which at this point all look pretty damn fake anyway).
Old 10-03-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

just want to point out that neither the lady bug based on waist size nor the tree based on leg size are tiny women. That is really the only points of measurement visible. The tree moved well in her costume playing up the swingy aspect of the skirt, the ladybug was so stiffly corseted she did not move well or does not dance well in the first place.

I found it interesting where each character held the microphone when singing and talking shoulder height and head height can be increased by the costume. The thingamajig while tall is not as tall as the costume appears based on where the microphone was held. Nick cannon is 6'0" so one suggestion has been Victor Oladipo who is 6'4" and based on microphone heights would be right.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

So, the last four competitors appeared last night. They were the Flower, the Eagle, the Penguin, and the Fox.

I think it's become apparent that I'm going to suck at guessing who these folks are because I don't know what's hip and with-it these days. So without further ado, my best guess for the Flower is Niecy Nash. No reason, I would just like it to be true.

The Eagle I knew without a doubt was Howard Stern.

The Penguin...I want to say Britney Spears, though I don't think the clues add up.

And the Fox, I got nothin'.

At the end of the show, the Eagle was unmasked to reveal
SPOILER:
Dr. Drew Pinsky, yet another person I have heard of while still managing to not know anything about.
SPOILER:
I still say it was Howard Stern!

P.S. - the second most annoying thing about this show is the moment where the person is being unmasked and pretends to have difficulty pulling their head off. Get some meddling kids and a Great Dane to help you already!
Old 10-10-2019, 08:52 AM

I finally caught up with this show after being quite obsessed with it last year. I still stand by the fact that I love the show because I like putting the puzzle pieces together to find out who the people are and not because the show is actually, you know, good.

I hit everyone last year almost 100% (with a little help) and this year I....have no idea who anyone could be. I can't tell if that makes it more or less fun.

Regardless, I love watching it on DVR! Skip to the video package, hear them sing, skip to the next package, hear the faceoff, see the reveal, done.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:14 PM

I think the Flower is Patti LaBelle. Her voice has aged a bit (she is 75 after all) but to me sounds very distinctively Patti. She walked slowly and stood still while performing, which seems consistent with her being an older person. Also, the Flower was shown with a mixing bowl and Patti is known for her pies.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
I was not liking the autotuned of the voices during the questions. Skeleton has too obvious of a voice to be covered by autotuned. I think it's Paul Shafer.
You nailed it!
Old 10-17-2019, 02:09 PM

I am so sick of Nicole’s fake crying.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

I enjoy the hell out of this show. But I must admit, apart from the most recent reveal (Paul Shaffer), I've never heard of any of these people. In fact, most of the panel guesses are people I've never heard of.

So far, just for singing talent, there's Black Widow and then...everyone else.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
You nailed it!
*bows*
Again, with the voice, how could it not have been him?

My daughter, bless her heart, texted me: "You were right! But then again, so was Jenny..."
She's out of my will.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:36 AM

The Fox...described as "this superhero"...is, I believe, Jeremy Renner, or possibly Robert Downy Junior.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
The Fox...described as "this superhero"...is, I believe, Jeremy Renner, or possibly Robert Downy Junior.
I'd believe Renner over RDJ...I also think that's a good guess.

The "T-Pain award for holy shit they're really good" goes to thingamajig who is Victor Oladipo (basketball player)

I think Leopard is Jamie Foxx, but a friend of mine makes a very compelling argument for it being Seal
Old Today, 12:03 PM

How can anyone NOT love a show where Laila Ali can be confused for Drew Carey??

I'm a notoriously bad guesser, I would have lost my shirt betting Peacock was Tom Jones last season. I was also convinced skeleton was Jim Belushi (second fiddle to John, sang with the new Blues Brothers, it was a no-brainer!).

I'll add my guess for Black Widow being Lizzo. It was my guess as soon as I heard the "Good as hell" clue, plus, whoever it is has got serious athleticism for that body type. If flower is anyone but Patti, I'll eat my hat. She seems to be the "gimme" this season. But then I've been wrong before...