Old 09-28-2019, 11:10 AM

Old pop culture hits different now that I'm older.

Much, much older.

I thought Steve Miller's Take the Money and Run was a cool story of hip teenagers sticking it to the man. Nope, it's the story of two thieves who kill a man who was doing the job everyone paid him to do. That song is all kinds of messed up.

Thanks to The Brady Bunch, Hazel and Family Affair, I thought it was absolutely normal and right that white families with children have live-in housemaids. One of the very few reasons I ever wished I was white.

And now that I have raised children, I wonder how many fucking times Joan Crawford told Christina not to put wire hangers in the closet before she lost her shit.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post

Thanks to The Brady Bunch, Hazel and Family Affair, I thought it was absolutely normal and right that white families with children have live-in housemaids. One of the very few reasons I ever wished I was white.
Actually, before the advent of mechanical appliances, it was fairly common for those in the middle-class to have domestic help. They weren't necessarily live-in servants, but cleaning ladies and laundry women were hired from agencies. Housework was extremely arduous, and those less well off would often pool their labor with their neighbors for strenuous jobs, or food preservation. "You help me beat my carpets, and I'll help you with your canning."
Old 09-28-2019, 07:39 PM

Oh, and different views on television programs as I got older? Well, I think Michael Stivic definitely could've worked at least part-time to help the Bunker household. He certainly seemed to have a lot of free time.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:44 PM

Two words: Animal House.

Last edited by 74westy; 09-28-2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: That's not what I typed!
Old 09-28-2019, 07:51 PM

I thought all cool kids at cool schools (Saved by the Bell)got to dress any way they pleased. When Jennifer came to my school dressed like a street walker she got sent home to change and detention.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Gary Puckett sang broken-heart ballads.

Then those songs turned into male chauvanist pig anthems.

Then those same songs became male chauvanist pig anthems which, did you notice, also targeted teenage girls.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
Those songs made me uncomfortable even as a tween back then!
Old 09-29-2019, 06:59 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
Oh, and different views on television programs as I got older? Well, I think Michael Stivic definitely could've worked at least part-time to help the Bunker household. He certainly seemed to have a lot of free time.
Yeah, my mom and dad met in college at The University of Chicago. Mom was from Chicago. They got married - he 19 and her 17 - and my grandfather (who owned a small business in Chicago) put dad to WORK. They got married? Great. Good for them. But according to my grandfather dad was going to WORK while he studied. He made doors and windows, delivered doors and windows and sold doors and windows until he could hand that degree on the wall.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:30 AM

It has occurred to me that most of the sex that took place at
Woodstock would now be considered rape, due to at least one of the parties being too impaired to provide informed consent.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

I grew up on uncensored Looney Tunes and it never occurred to me back them that some of those jokes were racist. I still believe that taking the anvil jokes out is going too far, but YMMV.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74westy View Post
I know, right? It just keeps getting better with age.

Last edited by Gatopescado; 09-29-2019 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Two more words: Blazing Saddles
Old 09-29-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74westy View Post
Yeah. Also just about any of the 'panty raid' movies (revenge of the nerds, Porky's, etc )

Lethal Weapon, a mentally unstable cop that plays by his own rules is just not a cool sympathetic character anymore. Antisemetic meltdown notwithstanding.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:01 PM

Never knowing as a kid that the Warner Bros. Chuck Jones cartoons ( 'Looney Tunes' et.al ) were made for and aimed at adults. Lots of dialogue and cultural references that I didn't understand until I got older.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:14 PM

Zack Morris is a real jerk.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post

Then those songs turned into male chauvanist pig anthems.

Then those same songs became male chauvanist pig anthems which, did you notice, also targeted teenage girls.
The video for J. Geils "Centerfold" HOT HOT HAWT then, creepy slimy dirty now.

Last edited by DorkVader; 09-29-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:36 PM

ETA yep, after checking (watching the video) to make sure I wasn't tellin a lie, that video kinda ruins the song, changing it from a dude reminising after seeing a girl he had a crush on in highschool to a girly mag to ... something uncomfortably predatory and obsessed with teenaged girls.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:13 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

You are my Sunshine seems a bit stalky to me:
Quote:
I'll always love you and make you happy
If you will only say the same
But if you leave me and love another
You'll regret it all some day
Old 09-29-2019, 06:20 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I don't know what it is but I couldn't really "get" Stevie Nicks until I was in my 30s.

I don't know if it's the content of her songs (including FM songs she sings) or if I couldn't get in to her voice until I was mature enough. Now I really dig her.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:38 PM

Fonzie - snapped his fingers and girls came running.

That character is so terribly dated today.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:02 PM

'We'll Sing In the Sunshine' by Gale Garnett. A little cold, when you listen - a sweet sunny laid back ditty where the woman says, I will play house with you for one year - and then I'm outta here.... It sounds more like something a swingin' dick of a man would do, lol.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
...And now that I have raised children, I wonder how many fucking times Joan Crawford told Christina not to put wire hangers in the closet before she lost her shit.
This made me laugh.

Animal House is a good one: a bunch of privileged little shits, not that different than the other frat house.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:46 AM

I'd have bashed Gilliigan's head in with a coconut while he slept the second time he screwed up our rescue. Seriously,
Old 09-30-2019, 08:05 AM

The Brady Bunchseemed to have a good old time. Sure, they had their problems-braces, glasses, getting hit in the nose with a football- but things always shook out in the end.

Oh please. Sharing a bedroom with two other people? Nope. Sharing one bathroom with five other people, three of which are males? Aw hell no!

Derwood on Bewitched was an insufferable twat. I know we were supposed to think he's kind of a numpty but Sam loves him so deep down he's a good guy. Nuh-uh. He's a selfish, chauvinistic, insecure prick through and through.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

In a similar vein to Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie. How did Tony Nelsen get by in the military being such a wimp in the office and such an ogre at home? At least J.R. was consistent, and more believable.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Derwood on Bewitched was an insufferable twat. I know we were supposed to think he's kind of a numpty but Sam loves him so deep down he's a good guy. Nuh-uh. He's a selfish, chauvinistic, insecure prick through and through.
Yeah, the first Darrin tried to tell me not to use magic to clean he'd've found himself in the age of the dinosaurs.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:24 AM

Ides of March's, "Vehicle," is one of my favorite songs, but the lyrics seem skeevey(sp?) now.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

I can't say it only started bothering me recently -- I've ground this particular axe since the early 1980s in fact -- but The Pointer Sisters, Fire (link to lyrics, I assume you know the song well enough to be earwormed without me playing it for you), is a nasty piece of #metoo paraphernalia.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:24 AM

In All in the Family there was an episode about a riddle. It was difficult to figure out because the doctor in the riddle was a woman. Everyone expected a doctor to be a man. It wouldn't even be a riddle now.
Also, when I watch All in the Family and the audience or a character reacts, I don't get it until I remember that a black doctor or mixed race couple, or whatever was unusual back then.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
I can't say it only started bothering me recently -- I've ground this particular axe since the early 1980s in fact -- but The Pointer Sisters, Fire (link to lyrics, I assume you know the song well enough to be earwormed without me playing it for you), is a nasty piece of #metoo paraphernalia.
I don't get it The singer is admitting that even though she's turning the guy away, she really digs him. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your comment.

Also, back when was a hit, when they sang the line "I'm ridin' in your car, you turn on the radio" the station would insert its call letters (in my case it was KHJ)
Old 09-30-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
This made me laugh.

Animal House is a good one: a bunch of privileged little shits, not that different than the other frat house.
Well yeah, it's based on the writers' experiences in college, primarily Chris Miller's recollections of his days as a Alpha Delta Phi at Dartmouth in the 1960s (he was the original "Pinto")

I always figured it was sort of a relative kind of thing- while they were all privileged enough to be in college, there were the "privileged" sorts who ended up in Omega with Marmalard and Niedermeyer, and then there were the slobs and weirdos who ended up in Delta. I had no impression that it was class warfare, just that Delta was more accepting of oddballs and people who didn't fit the more classic mold.

Speaking of frat movies, watching "Revenge of the Nerds" is kind of an amazing experience in today's culture. You've got casual racism and homophobia, rape, peeping/privacy invasion, drug and alcohol use, and bullying all in one movie in the name of comedy.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
The Brady Bunch seemed to have a good old time. Sure, they had their problems-braces, glasses, getting hit in the nose with a football- but things always shook out in the end.
117 episodes, but if you ask random people to describe an episode, more often than not the only one people remember is that one! It even got referenced during the NFL broadcast yesterday. I find that fascinating.

I wonder if there are other shows like that.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Ides of March's, "Vehicle," is one of my favorite songs, but the lyrics seem skeevey(sp?) now.
Around the same time, there's 'The Rapper' by the Jaggerz. Nothing to do with rapping, but it's a warning to women to beware of smooth-talking men who will 'befriend them' - and then try to get them alone in order to rape them.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I don't get it The singer is admitting that even though she's turning the guy away, she really digs him. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your comment.

Also, back when was a hit, when they sang the line "I'm ridin' in your car, you turn on the radio" the station would insert its call letters (in my case it was KHJ)
She's turning him away and probably has a good reason. He could be married (or she could), have a disease, be a criminal type, whatever - sh knows it's a bad idea for them to hook up. She knows it's her hormones revving up in close proximity, and she is using her head instead of giving into a physical response.

Actually a pretty good song, fewer people in the world should just roll over when they get that funny feeling in their pants.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:00 AM

As I get older I identify with Al Bundy from Married With Children more and more.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Yeah, the first Darrin tried to tell me not to use magic to clean he'd've found himself in the age of the dinosaurs.
Now I know why they needed a second Darrin.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvUQcnfwUUM

Mungo Jerry - In the summertime

When this came out I didn't have access to a car - too young to be driving anyway and didn't know anyone who had a car. I do remember the Don't Drink and Drive public safety adverts but never really related to them.

The song sort of went invisible after the major chart success and I though little about it - after all there were plenty other songs around

Year later I heard the song again on a golden oldies type show, that's when I picked out the following lyrics

'Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find'

The bit about

'If her daddy is rich take her out for a meal
If her daddy is poor just do what you feel'

Seems somewhat skeevy to me, I can just imagine those privileged frat boys taking this advice to heart.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I'd have bashed Gilliigan's head in with a coconut while he slept the second time he screwed up our rescue. Seriously,
The trope is called "Just eat Gilligan." Definitely would have gotten them off the island (and into a prison).
Old 09-30-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
The trope is called "Just eat Gilligan." Definitely would have gotten them off the island (and into a prison).
Would it actually get them into prison though? Who would have jurisdiction over the island? I guess it depends on whether the island was truly undiscovered before the castaways landed there, or if it was claimed by some sovereign nation but just not inhabited. I haven't actually many episodes of Gilligan's Island, so I have no idea if that was established or not.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 09-30-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Brady Bunchseemed to have a good old time. Sure, they had their problems-braces, glasses, getting hit in the nose with a football- but things always shook out in the end.

Oh please. Sharing a bedroom with two other people? Nope. Sharing one bathroom with five other people, three of which are males? Aw hell no!
It wasn't until I spent some time in architecture school that I realized what a lousy architect Mike Brady was. Hell, I flunked out and I could have designed a house better than that!
Old 09-30-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
It wasn't until I spent some time in architecture school that I realized what a lousy architect Mike Brady was. Hell, I flunked out and I could have designed a house better than that!
Well, he did manage to fit a second story inside of a single floor house!

The TARDIS has got nothing on the Brady house!
Old 09-30-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Wasn't it already the Mike Brady house pre-Carol? At least then it would have had two bedrooms for the three boys (plus whatever space became Alice's room and eventually the swingin' attic apartment).
Old 09-30-2019, 01:28 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
She's turning him away and probably has a good reason. He could be married (or she could), have a disease, be a criminal type, whatever - sh knows it's a bad idea for them to hook up. She knows it's her hormones revving up in close proximity, and she is using her head instead of giving into a physical response.

Actually a pretty good song, fewer people in the world should just roll over when they get that funny feeling in their pants.
The song makes a lot more sense when you realize it's a Springsteen song with the genders flipped.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:33 PM

Close Encounters, 1977: "Cool, Barry gets to go with the aliens!"

Close Encounters, 2000 - : "OMG, poor Jillian. That's worse than a parent's worst nightmare: not just her only kid being abducted, but he's literally disappearing off the face of the earth!"
Old 09-30-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Make his body disappear and where is the case for murder?

GI could also be the inspiration for a dark suspense film. The Howells brought millions in cash and items with them. They werent sharing. Slowly greed overcomes the other five castaways and they kill the Howells in their sleep. Now, down to five castaways, who will die next? Who will be the lone survivor?
Old 09-30-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

The Boys Are Back in Town, by Thin Lizzy.

I guess the first hundred times I heard it, I thought, all right! Par-tay! Now I hear

And that time over at Johnny's place,
Well, this chick got up and she slapped Johnny's face
Man, we just fell about the place
If that chick don't want to know, forget her

and I wonder what Johnny did to that girl. And if the boys wanna fight, you better let 'em. The boys sound like a bunch of assholes to me.

Last edited by Dung Beetle; 09-30-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Forgot how to code
Old 09-30-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
The Boys Are Back in Town, by Thin Lizzy.

I guess the first hundred times I heard it, I thought, all right! Par-tay! Now I hear

And that time over at Johnny's place,
Well, this chick got up and she slapped Johnny's face
Man, we just fell about the place
If that chick don't want to know, forget her

and I wonder what Johnny did to that girl. And if the boys wanna fight, you better let 'em. The boys sound like a bunch of assholes to me.
They sounded like assholes to me when the song was new. Always hated that song.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Make his body disappear and where is the case for murder?

GI could also be the inspiration for a dark suspense film. The Howells brought millions in cash and items with them. They werent sharing. Slowly greed overcomes the other five castaways and they kill the Howells in their sleep. Now, down to five castaways, who will die next? Who will be the lone survivor?
I don't remember what 'items' they brought, but the Howells money wouldn't do them any good on the island, except maybe what was in their wallets to use as toilet paper!

I can see one or the other of the men killing each other somehow, fighting over the women. And I can see one or other of the women being snuffed (accidentally) fighting off the men. Or killing in self-defense.

What a grim scenario! Back to the professor making a short wave radio out of bamboo and coconuts!
Old 09-30-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
117 episodes, but if you ask random people to describe an episode, more often than not the only one people remember is that one! It even got referenced during the NFL broadcast yesterday. I find that fascinating.

I wonder if there are other shows like that.
In a game of charades (way back in the 1990s), all my friend had to do was mime being whacked in the face and holding his nose and both teams just instantly yelled "Brady Bunch!" I can't think of anything else where a single miming action is so pop-culture embedded.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
As I get older I identify with Al Bundy from Married With Children more and more.
I can confirm this, and I even never have been married nor have children!

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 09-30-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:30 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
Close Encounters, 1977: "Cool, Barry gets to go with the aliens!"

Close Encounters, 2000 - : "OMG, poor Jillian. That's worse than a parent's worst nightmare: not just her only kid being abducted, but he's literally disappearing off the face of the earth!"
Also:

Me watching Close Encounters, 1977, age 9: Roy's gotta follow his heart! He's gotta seek out the aliens!
Me watching Close Encounters, 1987, age 19: Who chooses aliens over Teri Garr? Rrroowwwr.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 09-30-2019 at 03:31 PM.