Old 09-29-2019, 04:10 PM

"That little Corn Pop was me." Saturday Night Live Season Premier

Just about every sketch got a laugh out of me. I loved Maya Rudolph as Kamala and I hope she comes back. And the Inside the Beltway sketch is a testament to what makes a live show hilarious. It's amazing that they were doing all of those wardrobe changes so quickly. If the stagehand hadn't shown up, most people would not have even known they were changing in real-time.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:41 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Yeah I thought it was a really strong episode! I thought Woody Harrelson could be hit or miss but he did great, and I enjoyed the musical guest Billie Eilish.

Maya Rudolph brings 110% to every character she plays and she was really spot-on as Harris. Harrelson was great as Biden, too.

The low point was probably the "Dad" sketch/film. Kyle Mooney creeps me out that he plays a teenager 90% of the time.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:27 PM

Apparently Kamala liked it, too.
Quote:
"That girl being played by @MayaRudolph on @nbcsnl? That girl was me," she tweeted Sunday.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/29/enter...rnd/index.html
Old 09-29-2019, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Harrelson did a nice job on the Joe Biden impression, "I’m like plastic straws. I’ve been around forever, I’ve always worked, and now you’re mad at me? Drink up, America!"
Old 09-29-2019, 07:10 PM

My favorite line was how Elizabeth Warren has "mother of five boys who all play different sports" energy.

I can't remember ever seeing one where everyone broke so badly while it happened (rather than everyone talking about it before I get a chance to watch it). But I thought it was charming. I think they all must have had some of Uncle Woody's special treats because they broke again during the apple sketch. I enjoyed that sketch a lot too because apple picking is something that sounds a lot more fun and affordable than it ends up being. The last time I went it was like 90 in October in New England and I thought I was gonna die.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:41 PM

I thought Harrelson brought the funny pretty consistently, loved the apple-picking sketch, and the musical guest was rather captivating, but I'm just about as tired of Alec Baldwin's Trump as I am the real article, and Weekend Update (which has always been my favorite part of the show) seemed oddly truncated.

Didn't much care for most of the political bits, except for the "Inside the Beltway" sketch (and not just because of the hilarious cockup in that one). Regarding SNL's political content in general, I've long felt that the show too frequently tends to pull its punches...well, the reviewer for the AV Club says it better than I could:

Quote:
The problem with SNL’s hit-or-miss political content has never been that the show is a bastion of liberalism—it’s that Lorne Michaels has long seemed to view political neutrality as some sort of recipe for not pissing anyone off enough to hurt his show. If there’s a smart joke to be made, regardless of the political issue or figure involved, I guarantee there are writers with smarter takes than the ones that traditionally get on the air. Saturday Night Live might be an institution, but someone needs to convince Lorne it doesn’t have to be run like a public utility.
https://tv.avclub.com/in-its-season-...-th-1838581128

Last edited by El_Kabong; 09-29-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Nah, Dennis Perkins should have been moved off the SNL review beat years ago. He hates all the political comedy on the show and like Kyle Mooney's film pieces -- pretty much exactly the opposite of why everybody else in America still tunes in. He wants SNL to be a completely different show than it is. You can predict everything he's going to say before opening the page.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:02 AM

I couldn't figure out what they were laughing about. I figured the flashback bits were taped, the same as the Downton Abbey bit.

I agree - solid show. I especially liked Larry David as Bernie! And the apple skit - "Pay $45 for $10 worth of apples!"

That "Dad" rap number was about the only one that was completely lost on me. And the "musical" guest...
Old 09-30-2019, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
The low point was probably the "Dad" sketch/film. Kyle Mooney creeps me out that he plays a teenager 90% of the time.
That was the kind of retro bit that Mooney usually does with Beck Bennett. There didn't seem to be much Bennett in the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Harrelson did a nice job on the Joe Biden impression, "Iím like plastic straws. Iíve been around forever, Iíve always worked, and now youíre mad at me? Drink up, America!"
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
I'm just about as tired of Alec Baldwin's Trump as I am the real article
Yes, the Trump cold-open was by-the-numbers, as it has been for too long now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Nah, Dennis Perkins should have been moved off the SNL review beat years ago. He hates all the political comedy on the show
Garrett Martin of Paste is pretty savage toward the political comedy, at least the Alec-Baldwin-as-Trump stuff.

IMHO the show's biggest problem is that it doesn't have any writers who really know what to do with Trump and his shitshow, but they feel obligated to do something anyway.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Baldwin started doing Trump during the 2016 Campaign and I can guarantee he did not intend on that being a long term gig!
Old 09-30-2019, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Frankly, Trump didn't intend on this being a long-term gig.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:08 AM

I thought the musical guest with the rotating room was a blast.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:35 AM

We muted Billie Eilish's 2nd song after awhile. An emo 17 year old crooning a boring ballad about loooove became rapidly tedious.

Last edited by susan; 09-30-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I thought the musical guest with the rotating room was a blast.
I liked watching this too. The first move to the wall was a surprise but then I started watching for it and it was pretty impressive though the last move from the wall to the floor was not as smooth. I thought her voice was a little too quiet compared to the music as well but I did like the song.

I did enjoy the ep but I also think the biggest problem with SNL is the political bits are mostly toothless, which has been mentioned above. It's worsened by the fact that a good portion of the country is in favor of a president who is basically a walking SNL sketch himself.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
Baldwin started doing Trump during the 2016 Campaign and I can guarantee he did not intend on that being a long term gig!
Yeah, but he could stop any time he wants to, you know?

His Trump schtick is long past its sell-by date.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
. . .
That "Dad" rap number was about the only one that was completely lost on me. And the "musical" guest...
I thought Eilish was great. At one point though I clearly heard someone say "Turn up her microphone" from off stage, and it came through louder than the singer's voice. So that's a technical problem.

Whoever came up with the "Mickey Duck *thing* " sketch must really hate Woody Harrelson. I can't believe nobody else has mentioned it. That was just painful to watch.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
Yeah, but he could stop any time he wants to, you know?

His Trump schtick is long past its sell-by date.
It really isn't. Sure, if it was some random character like Head Wound Harry, enough is enough. But they can't drop frigging Trump, the first pure cartoon President in history. At best, they could get someone else to do it but I don't think most viewers would like that.

Last edited by CarnalK; 09-30-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:13 AM
Charter Member

Do you all know that Eilish was doing something similar to what Fred Astaire did in a movie?:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/09/sn...e-ceiling.html

In a way, this is similar to what Joseph Gordon-Levitt did on Saturday Night Live in 2009, when he did a version of the Donald O'Connor number "Make 'em Laugh" from Singing in the Rain.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
Do you all know that Eilish was doing something similar to what Fred Astaire did in a movie?:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/09/sn...e-ceiling.html

In a way, this is similar to what Joseph Gordon-Levitt did on Saturday Night Live in 2009, when he did a version of the Donald O'Connor number "Make 'em Laugh" from Singing in the Rain.
The moment she put her foot on the wall, I turned to my wife and said, "Hey, she's doing that Fred Astaire-Lionel Richie thing."

Interesting that you mention Joseph Gordon-Levitt, though, seeing as he also did a variation of that scene in Inception.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:58 AM

I saw a comment on you tube of someone condescendingly explaining how the shot worked and I thought: yeah, no one is really puzzled by it, but it's still unexpected and interesting. I was going to add a sarcastic comment explaining how a strobe light worked. But it's still cool to see.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I saw a comment on you tube of someone condescendingly explaining how the shot worked and I thought: yeah, no one is really puzzled by it, but it's still unexpected and interesting. I was going to add a sarcastic comment explaining how a strobe light worked. But it's still cool to see.
I guess I'm the lone numpty because I just watched the clip and I have no idea how it was done
Old 10-01-2019, 11:15 AM

But the important question: How did you like the performance?
Old 10-01-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
But the important question: How did you like the performance?
I did watch the show last Sat. and I had heard of her but didn't know what she sings. When she came on, it didn't seem like something I'd be interested in so I went and did something else (as I often do during commercials or whatever).Now after seeing a brief clip (with sound turned down), I'm going to go back and watch the whole thing at home. Is she only 17? She started young.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:01 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Nono, she did the Jamiroquai thing (a video for a track off their album called Traveling Without Moving, to boot!)

That video was like the most mind-blowing video of the 90s.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
We muted Billie Eilish's 2nd song after awhile. An emo 17 year old crooning a boring ballad about loooove became rapidly tedious.

I love Billie Eilish and the song isn't so much about love. She's wishing someone hadn't told her he loved her and ruined a good thing. Been there!
Old 10-02-2019, 09:01 PM

I'll take your word for it.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:35 PM

As soon as I saw her in a tiny room, I suspected the trick coming but she did a good job. Did it live too, unlike most of the other examples above.

Second song was so different from her hit, shoulda been more engaging. Maybe the studio version will work.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
Wasn't he supposed to quite playing Trump? I was surprised he was back this season.