Old 09-30-2019, 09:37 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

MLB: Post-Season 2019

Now things get real!
Old 09-30-2019, 09:48 AM

Tue: Brewers @ Nats . . 8pm TBS
Wed: Rays @ A's . . . . . 8pm ESPN

All times are To be Determined below here.
Thu: NLWC @ Dodgers TBS
. . . .Cards & Braves TBS

Fri: ALWC @ Astros FS1
. . . . Twins @ Yanks FS1
. . . . NLWC @ Dodgers TBS
. . . . Cards & Braves TBS

Sat: ALWC @ Astros FS1
. . . . Twins @ Yanks FS1
Old 09-30-2019, 10:04 AM

Unfounded predictions

I'm taking the Brewers over the Nats and the Ray's over the A's in the wildcards.

Then I'll take the Yankees, Braves, Dodgers and Astros in the DS making the wildcard games meaningless.

Then I think Yankees over Astros and Dodgers over Braves, though those both are far from locks. They should be good series both.

Finally I'm taking the Dodgers to finally win the WS, though in my heart I think it's likely the Yankees are looking at another ring.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:30 AM

As a Yankee fan I am more worried about the Astros then any other team. I feel like the Yanks match up to the Dodgers very well. But first, need to beat the Twins yet again.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:38 AM

I really don't see a team beating the Astros in a 5- or 7-game series, they'd really have to put on an amazing display both offensively and on pitching. They're just so ridiculously stacked this year. Greinke is their 3rd starter?!
Old 09-30-2019, 11:11 AM

Astros are definitely the team to beat. Nobody comes close to their pitching. If anyone can, it's the Yankees with that bullpen and those bats. Losing German was huge, though.

Personally, I'd love to see Yankees-Dodgers.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
I really don't see a team beating the Astros in a 5- or 7-game series, they'd really have to put on an amazing display both offensively and on pitching. They're just so ridiculously stacked this year. Greinke is their 3rd starter?!
The A's, in the middle of September, in Houston, took 3 of 4 from the Astros. Including wins over Verlander and Miley. I don't know if Miley even makes the postseason squad, he's been so bad this last month. It's hard to see Verlander or Cole, or even Greinke now, pitching much better than this. The bullpen can be pretty shaky though. There isn't a Rivera in the Astros pen, but there are a lot of decent pitchers.

I don't think any team will be a favorite over the Astros in any series they'll face this year, but the point is, in a short series, anything can happen. Ask the 90's Braves, or that 2001 Mariners team with 116 wins.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
The A's, in the middle of September, in Houston, took 3 of 4 from the Astros. Including wins over Verlander and Miley.
What an insane series that was. Astros blank the As 15-0 in the first game, then lose 21-7 the next day! Like I said - it would have to be an incredible display to beat them. And I like the As a lot this year - they're a dark horse pennant champ for me.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
What an insane series that was. Astros blank the As 15-0 in the first game, then lose 21-7 the next day! Like I said - it would have to be an incredible display to beat them. And I like the As a lot this year - they're a dark horse pennant champ for me.
They're a great team. Just not enough pitching, I think. I want the Astros facing Tampa much more than I want them to see Oakland.

I can't think of another pitcher imploding as bad in September as Wade Miley. He was until then the legit #3 on the club, even after they traded for Greinke. Now, it's an almost Steve Sax or Chuck Knoblauch style inability to perform his job. I mean he went from a 3.00 ERA guy to a guy who gives up 3 and more runs without recording an out. He's run out of gas in August and September before, but not to this degree.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
The Astros were stacked last year, too. You just never know. They're my pick too, but I would never bet anything on them - or any other team - I could not afford to lose.

My default choice is always whatever team has the best three starting pitchers because you can ride those guys way, way harder in the playoffs than in the regular season; an ace pitcher becomes far more valuable just because you can use him so much more. That clearly favors Houston this year.

Anyway MLB has a bracket challenge this year and it''s free to enter; the tie breakers are things like "guess the World Series MVP" and such. For the hell of it I picked LA to beat Houston, but my bracket went like this:

WC: A's beat Rays, Nationals beat Brewers
ALDS: Twins beat Yankees, Astros beat A's
NLDS: Dodgers beat Nationals, Braves beat Cardinals
LCS: Dodgers beat Braves, Astros beat Twins
WS: Dodgers beat Astros

Tiebreakers:
WS MVP: Clayton Kershaw
Games It Goes: 7
Total Runs Scored: 55
Total Home Runs In The Series: 18

Last edited by RickJay; 09-30-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

I think if the Astros get past Oakland (not having to play them would be ideal) they will go all the way. Unless the bullpen goes to hell. Which it has done before, though usually not for more than one or two games. I sure hope they get it done this year because I think the personnel will change after this season, and not in a good way.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:31 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The Astros were stacked last year, too. You just never know. They're my pick too, but I would never bet anything on them - or any other team - I could not afford to lose.

My default choice is always whatever team has the best three starting pitchers because you can ride those guys way, way harder in the playoffs than in the regular season; an ace pitcher becomes far more valuable just because you can use him so much more. That clearly favors Houston this year.

Anyway MLB has a bracket challenge this year and it''s free to enter; the tie breakers are things like "guess the World Series MVP" and such. For the hell of it I picked LA to beat Houston, but my bracket went like this:

WC: A's beat Rays, Nationals beat Brewers
ALDS: Twins beat Yankees, Astros beat A's
NLDS: Dodgers beat Nationals, Braves beat Cardinals
LCS: Dodgers beat Braves, Astros beat Twins
WS: Dodgers beat Astros

Tiebreakers:
WS MVP: Clayton Kershaw
Games It Goes: 7
Total Runs Scored: 55
Total Home Runs In The Series: 18
From your post to the Baseball Gods' ears.

I'd much rather the Dodgers face the Yankees. The Astros are just vicious.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Jays Fan

The sooner the Yankees are out, the better. It's just so boring to have them in. The Twins haven't been to the ALCS since what, 2002? Something like that.

The Twins actually scored more runs than the Astros. I would not count them out.

Last edited by RickJay; 09-30-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:47 PM

Since 1960 the Yankees have won nine World Series Championships and all have come with a Democratic president in the White House. Unless the dems can figure out how to install president Pelosi in the next few weeks, the Yankees are screwed.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:05 PM

Hoping for a Twins/Brewers series. It's not MLB's preference, I'm sure, but hey, better than Rays/Brewers.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:44 PM

gotta feel for the manager for this one ......https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...urn/ar-AAI4k5P

"You didn't do great but weren't horrible but since a team/hometown hero might be available we hope you have luck with your future endeavors ......
Old 09-30-2019, 07:47 PM

ok I want the dodgers winning the series if they lose before they get there

anyone else but the braves and Yankees
Old 09-30-2019, 08:21 PM

Here's how I think it plays out:

Nats over Brewers
A's over Rays

Astros over A's in 4
Twins over Yankees in 4
Dodgers over Nats in 3
Braves over Cardinals in 5

Astros over Twins in 5
Braves over Dodgers in 7

Astros over Braves in 5
Old 09-30-2019, 09:04 PM

Just to get my predictions down in concrete

Brewers and A's advance

Astros over A's in 4
Yankees over Twins in 3
Dodgers over Brewers in 4
Braves over Cardinals in 5

Yankees over Astros in 7
Dodgers over Braves in 5

Dodgers over Yankees in 7
Old 09-30-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
The sooner the Yankees are out, the better. It's just so boring to have them in. The Twins haven't been to the ALCS since what, 2002? Something like that.

The Twins actually scored more runs than the Astros. I would not count them out.
Any postseason without New York and Boston is a good postseason. Since those don;t happen very often, any postseason in which New York and Boston are eliminated early is a good postseason.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:46 AM

I'm really looking forward to the post-season, because it will be about the first chance all year I've had to watch baseball on a regular basis.

We moved house in the summer, from west coast to east, and the end of the university teaching year in April and May, followed by the hassle and stress of moving and then getting settled in a new place, meant that I didn't have much time to watch, and I didn't bother with my MLBtv subscription this year. I went to a few games back in April and May, but apart from that I've been a bit out of the baseball loop this year.

How have the Orioles been doing?

Like most people who are not Yankee fans, my first wish for the playoffs is for the Yankees to be eliminated as early as possible. I'd also be happy to see the Cardinals gone sooner rather than later. Apart from that, I really don't mind who wins. If the games and the series are exciting, that will be enough for me.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:50 AM

Tampa over Oakland
Washington over Milwaukee

Astros over Tampa in 3
Yankees over Twins in 4

Dodgers over Nats in 4
Braves over Cards in 5

Astros over Yankees in 5
Dodgers over Braves in 6

Astros over Dodgers in 6.

Let's see how wildly wrong these are. I can't do worse than I'm doing picking NFL games.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:10 AM

If I get this exact I'll have to change my name to Nostradamus

Oakland over Tampa Bay
Milwaukee over Washington

Houston over Oakland in 4
New York over Minnesota in 4
St Louis over Atlanta in 3
Milwaukee over Los Angeles in 5

New York over Houston in 6
St Louis over Milwaukee in 5

New York over St. Louis in 5
Old 10-01-2019, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Ooh, we haven't had a good old-fashioned Cardinals-Yankees World Series in my lifetime!
Old 10-01-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Ooh, we haven't had a good old-fashioned Cardinals-Yankees World Series in my lifetime!
The Last one ended with Yogi getting fired and the Yanks going through their worst decade following it. 1964 was shortly before I was born, I was born into the Yanks down period, largely coinciding with the Giants absolutely sucking and NYC itself falling apart. We were part of the middle-class flight I guess.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:

Oakland over Tampa Bay
Milwaukee over Washington

Houston over Oakland in 4
New York over Minnesota in 4
St Louis over Atlanta in 3
Milwaukee over Los Angeles in 5

New York over Houston in 6
St Louis over Milwaukee in 5

If all playoff series are random, everyone's bracket is 512-to-1. It's unlikely, but not impossible, and so I assume THOUSANDS of people will have a perfect bracket. (This is as opposed to an NCAA bracket, which is 9.2 quintillion to one if all games are random; they aren't, but even if you favor heavy favourites it's trillions to one.) I guess if you make logical choices you might shave it down to 480-to-1 or something but baseball teams are too evenly matched to really narrow it down too much.

So that's why MLB threw in the tiebreakers. Many people will have perfect brackets, but nailing all those tiebreakers? Can't happen.

Last edited by RickJay; 10-01-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Given how vague Nostradamus' predictions were, if you're emulating him your picks should read like this:

A mighty cudgel was swung in the Wild Card, but he pitcheth yet.
Yea, the bullpen masters are to be feared in the Division Series.
A might chorus greets the triumphant coastal warriors as they vie for pennants, yet do not count out the hinterland battlers.
For world honors, the best will out.

I have the Dodgers beating the Yankees* in six in the Series.

*I'd love to see the Twins or Astros knock off N.Y., but a team that's overcome so much in terms of injuries and other noise has an edge on the A.L. pennant.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Oh, why not be wrong publicly?

A's over Rays
Nationals over Brewers

Yankees over Twins (4)
Astros over A's (5)

Braves over Cardinals (5)
Nationals over Dodgers (3)

Astros over Yankees (6)
Nationals over Braves (6)

Astros over Nationals (5)
Old 10-01-2019, 07:00 PM

MLBTV subscriber

Sorry to bother you folks. I have been watching the entire 2019 season on my computer.

I cannot log in. They are saying I need cable tv to watch the post season. I don't have a TV.

Any solutions?

Thank you.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

It's the same rule as during the regular season. With MLB you cannot watch nationally televised games live unless you have cable access to the carrying channel. All of the post-season is nationally televised.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:11 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Iíve never been to any kind of post season game in any sport. This year I tried to go through Ticketmaster when the tickets became available and managed to get tickets for game 1 and 2 in Yankee Stadium.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
It's the same rule as during the regular season. With MLB you cannot watch nationally televised games live unless you have cable access to the carrying channel. All of the post-season is nationally televised.
Thank you for the reply.

I am able to watch todays game on my iPad. Using Apple TV . But, I do miss the larger screen of my desktop.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:49 PM

Looks like starting Scherzer in a must win game was a big mistake. He hasn't been the same since coming off the IL.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
Thank you for the reply.

I am able to watch todays game on my iPad. Using Apple TV . But, I do miss the larger screen of my desktop.
I have had success in the past using a DNS service called Unlocator. Basically, it fools MLB into thinking that your computer is overseas somewhere, like the UK, and allows you to watch postseason games.

It's $5 a month, but you can do it month-to-month and cancel when the season is over, and I think they have a free trial so you can test whether it still works or not. I'd test it for you, but as I said in an earlier post, I didn't subscribe to MLBTV this season.

Last edited by mhendo; 10-01-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Sheet....I have the same MLB package I've had for ten years and this is the first year I couldn't watch on my Ipad or phone. Just gave me bullshit about "You haven't bought it from Apple" or some bullshit.

Also PS3 stopped supporting it, so I wasn't happy this year
Old 10-01-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I’ve never been to any kind of post season game in any sport. This year I tried to go through Ticketmaster when the tickets became available and managed to get tickets for game 1 and 2 in Yankee Stadium.
You should be ashamed to be a part of a bloodbath. Twins will never beat the Yanks....and I hate the Yanks.

Oh...my prediction: Dodgers over Yanks ala 1981

Last edited by Dale Sams; 10-01-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Well, that was fun. Amazing comeback by the Nats. These playoffs could get interesting
Old 10-01-2019, 10:23 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Well, that was fun. Amazing comeback by the Nats. These playoffs could get interesting
The Brewers' bullpen failed to hold a lead in the last two regular-season games, and now tonight. Ugh.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
The Brewers' bullpen failed to hold a lead in the last two regular-season games, and now tonight. Ugh.
The Nats bullpen blew plenty of games this season as well.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:31 PM

Yeah, no kidding. I only caught the final inning and a half of that game, but I'm glad I did. The Brewers really shot themselves in the ass there.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Yeah, no kidding. I only caught the final inning and a half of that game, but I'm glad I did. The Brewers really shot themselves in the ass there.
Yeah, their right fielder must be feeling kinda Buckneresque right about now.

Juan Soto has a good chance to be the left-handed, left-fielding Willie Mays. You read it here first.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
You should be ashamed to be a part of a bloodbath. Twins will never beat the Yanks....and I hate the Yanks.
What odds will you give me on that bet?
Old 10-02-2019, 08:50 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Maybe so, but the timing of this particular bullpen implosion for Milwaukee was particularly inauspicious.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:52 AM

People are acting like the Twins snuck into the playoffs out of a weak division, with 89 wins or something. The Twins aren't underdogs this year. Yankees fans should be very nervous...home field might be the only thing that saves them.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
What odds will you give me on that bet?
Me and history will bet you straight up that the Yanks win.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Me and history will bet you straight up that the Yanks win.
Current odds for the ALCS champion are Yankees 2/1, Twins 6/1 - 7/1. Here, or here.

So, very brave of you to offer pick em odds and take the Yankees.

Yankees won the regular season series with them 4-2, with one game going into extra innings. How many of the legion of guys who got injured on the Yankees this year, are going to be able to play in the ALDS?
Old 10-02-2019, 01:30 PM

Unfortunately, Jacoby Ellsbury won't be on the postseason roster.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
"Plenty" is understating it. They may have won 100 games with even a mediocre bullpen.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:42 PM

The Nets won because of the home field advantage.

They had a lot of support there.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I only caught the final inning and a half of that game
Heh. I stopped watching after the first. Way too many idiotic commercials on TBS; I'll have to find a radio to listen to with the TV on mute when they play the Dodgers.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-02-2019 at 05:18 PM.