Old 10-02-2019, 07:08 PM

The continuing saga of MLB.TV and harmonicamoon

MLB.TV has offered me, an international subscriber, a post season ticket to all the games for 25USD.

After I do the math, how much per game?, I may join.

If all the teams play the maximum number (5 of 5, 7 0f 7) of games. What would be the price per game?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
MLB.TV has offered me, an international subscriber, a post season ticket to all the games for 25USD.

After I do the math, how much per game?, I may join.

If all the teams play the maximum number (5 of 5, 7 0f 7) of games. What would be the price per game?

Thanks for your help.
4 DCS @ Best of 5 = 20
2 LCS @ Best of 7 = 14
1 WS @ Best of 7 = 7

41 games @ $25 = $.61/game

Even thinking fairly conservatively (avg DCS goes 4 game, avg LCS goes 5, WCS goes 5) there's probably 30+ games in there, so still less than $1 per game.

TLDR, it's a deal, take it.

Last edited by Zakalwe; 10-02-2019 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Correcting a couple of typos and an egregious math error. Oops.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:50 PM

Gracias Zakalwe for the math!

I am on it! Will be great to have the larger screen.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:54 PM

On the one hand "Yes, I know. Win your division"

In theory though...because *when* it was implemented the One game playoff was most likely to affect the.... John Henry: "We will never be able to financially compete with the Yankees so lets go for the WC Red Sox".... i hated the idea. I railed against it. Called it a forced substitute for actual one game playoffs. Said its like deciding a football playoff game based on one series of downs. In theory i still hate it even though my Red Sox have never had to play in it...and its gone on so long I would have been happy to see the Sox in it.

Yes, I know. "Win your division". But I still feel for the A's.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I don't think that's at all a fair assessment of John Henry's approach. The Red Sox tried to win as many games as they could. If that meant a Wild Card, oh well. They never aimed for second place and you can't argue with the results over the last twenty years.

I don't like the two Wild Card thing, but the Wild Card is, to my mind, a superior approach than would be four divisions, if you're looking for a three round playoff system (which I like.) A three-division-winners plus one system will generate a higher quality of playoff team than a four-division-winner system. Adding the Wild Card game reduces the quality a little (though Tampa Bay over Oakland isn't really a difference at all.)

The thing about the Widl Card games is some of these games would have had to happen anyway; I can think of several examples where the two teams had the same record anyhow and so would have played the same game under the old system.

Last edited by RickJay; 10-03-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:16 AM

Is it just me, or is this sort of thing juvenile and possibly sexist bullshit?

I understand that there's going to be beer and champagne flowing in the locker room of a team that's just won its way into the playoffs, and I don't expect the players to curb their exuberance just to accommodate the reporters, but it seems to me that there's a difference between some incidental soaking and a deliberate effort to pour as much shitty beer as possible over the head of a professional reporter who's just trying to do her job.

I've seen male reporters get wet from beer and champagne before, but I don't recall ever seeing this type of concentrated and persistent soaking, and I can't help but thinking that it's a product of the fact that the reporter is a relatively young woman.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:01 AM

You're right, that's not a good look, especially when it's a bunch of men and a lone woman. Bad optics, as they say. Also, TV reporter means TV makeup getting wrecked. She's not a member of the team, or even the organization. Why should she (or he) get drenched? On the other hand, does anybody watch or care about these celebrations? The game is over.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:10 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I didn't even really care about those celebrations when it was the Blue Jays. "Wooooo! It's a great bunch of guys! This is what we worked for! Gonna have some fun tonight and then get ready for the next round!" You can only say those things so many ways.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:41 AM

I think you're making too much out of it. It doesn't look good in isolation but I've seen the beat reporters get pretty drenched in celebrations. Sweeny Murti of WFAN has been that drenched covering the Yanks. Others have too. Though most teams use champagne don't they?

ETA: If she isn't a regular reporter though, it is a lot worse looking.

Last edited by What Exit?; 10-03-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I didn't even really care about those celebrations when it was the Blue Jays. "Wooooo! It's a great bunch of guys! This is what we worked for! Gonna have some fun tonight and then get ready for the next round!" You can only say those things so many ways.
I'm curious, you don't like the post-game celebrations, how about when the fans stay after the win of a clinching game or big comeback to serenade their team?

I've been part of a few, thousands strong, sing-alongs to New York, New York in the past.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-man View Post
"Plenty" is understating it. They may have won 100 games with even a mediocre bullpen.
Quite possibly, yeah. Washington might actually have had the worst bullpen of any postseason team in the history of baseball. My eyeball estimate is that the Nats bullpen cost them at least fifty runs as opposed to an average bullpen. It's 95% likely that with an average bullpen, they win the division.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Jeez. If you're playing the Cards, no lead is safe. As a Cubs fan, I can certainly feel for the Braves. You just can't EVER relax against those fuckers.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Jeez. If you're playing the Cards, no lead is safe. As a Cubs fan, I can certainly feel for the Braves. You just can't EVER relax against those fuckers.
On the flip side, if you're a Cardinals fan, no lead is safe, either. You just can't EVER relax, even when they go into the bottom of the 9th with a four-run lead and a rested closer.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:10 PM

And the good news is...it is a best of five series.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:20 PM

We hear a lot about the playoff struggles of the Nationals and (recently) the Twins, but before the Oakland-Tampa Bay game recedes too far into the darkness let us pause to reflect on the utterly abysmal playoff record of the Oakland A's during the last couple of decades.

Beginning in 2000, the A's have made the playoffs ten of twenty seasons, which is impressive. They have advanced through the first round of whatever playoffs they've made once in those ten seasons, which isn't. Their record in playoff series, counting wild card games as a "series," is 1-10.

They have played nine winner-take-all games during this span--three wild card games and ALDS Game 5s in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2012, and 2013. They've lost all nine.

They have played 16 games in which they would have moved on to the next round with a victory: the three wild card games and 13 games in which they already had two ALDS wins and just needed one more to advance. They won....one of these games, in 2006 against Minnesota. That record is 1-15. That's the one that I find most jaw-dropping. 1-15!

Just brutal. Gotta feel for their fans. At least they had that run of success from '88 to '90 and especially in the early seventies, for those old enough to recall...
Old 10-03-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
...Just brutal. Gotta feel for their fans. At least they had that run of success from '88 to '90 and especially in the early seventies, for those old enough to recall...
I can barely remember those great 70s teams of the A's.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Rollie Fingers
Vida Blue
Joe Rudi
Bert Campaneris
Reggie Jackson
Old 10-03-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I must be older than you as I remember them, very well! They were a thorn in my side as a National league partisan.

Also I couldn't stand Charlie Finley and the way he mistreated his team's players...the firing of Mike Andrews was a particularly egregious example, but there were others.

The Finley-era A's obviously got all of Oakland's "good" postseason karma, leaving very little for the Moneyball-era teams.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Rollie Fingers
Vida Blue
Joe Rudi
Bert Campaneris
Reggie Jackson
Catfish Hunter
Blue Moon Odom
Mudcat something (a reliever with a nickname)
Dobson

Sal Bando
Rick Monday

and not that I remember him playing, but those teams had a young soon to be done Tony La Russa IRC.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
We hear a lot about the playoff struggles of the Nationals and (recently) the Twins, but before the Oakland-Tampa Bay game recedes too far into the darkness let us pause to reflect on the utterly abysmal playoff record of the Oakland A's during the last couple of decades.
It's the worst playoff record in baseball history. Of course prior to 1995 I guess no team would have had the chance to amass such a dismal record, but still.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:29 PM

Hello??? (Knocking on tv) Dodgers? Hello? Clayton, ya need a Red Bull or something.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:40 PM

Dodgers, what the fuck are you doing? What. The. Fuck. Are. You. Doing.

Last edited by Lamoral; 10-04-2019 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Edit - what he said ^
Old 10-04-2019, 10:34 PM

Game 1 in the books for the Yanks. 11 straight vs. the Twins in the postseason.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:50 PM

Scherzer is badass. Always coveted that guy.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:57 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Game 1 in the books for the Yanks. 11 straight vs. the Twins in the postseason.
The Twins have actually now lost 12 straight playoff games, the all time record.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
The Twins have actually now lost 12 straight playoff games, the all time record.
Make that 12 straight to the Yanks and now 13 overall!
Old 10-05-2019, 08:16 PM

I followed the Twins all summer. They were never built for a playoff run. They lucked into some great hitting but their pitching has been atrocious all year. Everybody here knew once they playoffs started they were done.
Just glad we nabbed the season team home run record away from the Yanks this year.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:45 AM

Gerrit Cole is just ridiculous. 7.2, 4 H, 1 BB, 15 K, 0 ER. Still got interesting towards the end, because the Astros' bullpen isn't super-solid. (Though I won't complain, after seeing Atlanta and Milwaukee screw things up.)

Maybe baseball's 1st 35 million a year pitcher?
Old 10-06-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Gerrit Cole is just ridiculous. 7.2, 4 H, 1 BB, 15 K, 0 ER. Still got interesting towards the end, because the Astros' bullpen isn't super-solid. (Though I won't complain, after seeing Atlanta and Milwaukee screw things up.)

I've been a fan of Cole's since he was at UCLA. I'm pretty happy to see him find himself in Houston after never being really great in Pittsburgh. Good, sure but not at this level.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:19 AM

Last night I bet on the Astros to win.

By 3.

FUCK!
Old 10-06-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post

By 3.

FUCK!
They won with 3. Maybe your psychic powers had a tiny bit of static?
Old 10-06-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post

By 3.

FUCK!
Not the first time Osuna's caused Astros fans to scream in rage, won't be the last. Hinch's fault, at least a little, for trying to have Osuna pick up a 4-out save, something he hasn't done all year.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Cole will definitely be a test of how much teams are willing to spend. 29-year-old pitcher with no history of injury problems (I think) coming off a Cy Young-caliber year?
Old 10-06-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Cole will definitely be a test of how much teams are willing to spend. 29-year-old pitcher with no history of injury problems (I think) coming off a Cy Young-caliber year?
I think Moreno pushes the Angels to offer him truly stupid money. Even while still being saddled with the Pujols and Upton deals. They are spending next to nothing on their starting rotation. https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/los-ange...early/payroll/

At least the Astros get McCullers back, and JV, Greinke is still a great one two. Maybe Whitley will show up next year? Still want them to trade Correa for Thor. All things to think about next year, not really right now.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:59 PM

The players on the current, 25-man Yankees roster represent 10 countries. A record?

U.S.A.: Aaron Judge, Brett Gardner + 12 others

Cuba: Aroldis Chapman

Canada: James Paxton

Mexico: Luis Cessa

The Netherlands: Didi Gregorius

The Dominican Republic: Luis Severino, Gary Sanchez, Edwin Encarnacion

Nicaragua: Jonathan Loaisiga

Japan: Masahiro Tanaka

Colombia: Gio Urshela

Venezuela: Gleyber Torres
Old 10-06-2019, 03:17 PM

This year a record was set with 21 Countries being represented in Major League Baseball. 10 on the Yanks could be the record, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was not.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:12 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Anybody have an old jockstrap the Dodgers can trade Joe Kelly for?
Old 10-07-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Anybody have an old jockstrap the Dodgers can trade Joe Kelly for?
The Red Sox fans would. They loved the guy. He has been pretty much money in the postseason until this year. But I always thought he was over-rated as the Yanks hit him hard and often in the regular season, as did the Jays, Rays & O's. So as good as he was out of division, he was pretty bad in division all those years.

Now he is NL West and it appears his numbers against this new division are also bad. He only does well vs. Rockies.

I was shocked and extremely disappointed last October when he shut the Yanks down for 2+ innings.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Jays Fan

The Jays and Rays certainly didn't hit Kelly very hard.

Anyway, Kelly really only had one good year in Boston. He's 31 years old and has had as many mediocre seasons as good. The Dodgers acquired him based on him having one great World Series against them. Hardly a surprise it didn't work out.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:05 AM

Astros are up against Charlie Morton today, which raises a what-if - Morton probably would have re-signed for the same deal he got from Tampa Bay, which wasn't outrageous (15 mil a year) - what if the Astros had re-signed him? (They probably wouldn't have picked up Greinke then, but oh well).
Old 10-07-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anyway, Kelly really only had one good year in Boston.
A contract year. Yes, the effect is real.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Astros are up against Charlie Morton today, which raises a what-if - Morton probably would have re-signed for the same deal he got from Tampa Bay, which wasn't outrageous (15 mil a year) - what if the Astros had re-signed him? (They probably wouldn't have picked up Greinke then, but oh well).
AIUI, they might've extended him a qualifying offer, at IIRC, 17.6 for one year. They didn't want to give him multiple years for some reason, and I guess 2 years counts as "multiple" here. When they heard he might sign elsewhere, they did him a solid, and didn't give him a QO. Not sure if TB takes him if they'd also have to kick a draft pick back to the Astros.

I hated not giving him a QO, said so at the time, and said the only this works out is if you KNOW his arm will grenade itself in June. They lost 3/5 of their starting rotation with Morton leaving. Silly not to give him another year or two. Thank God they found Wade Miley.

I like Greinke---especially since he's now pitching like Greinke should---but damned if they didn't give up a ton for him. Rays have a decent chance to win this game. So do the Twins.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:45 PM

The Astros got some very cold water on their face today as the Rays clobbered them 10-3. Yes, TEN to three. Astonishing game.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:04 PM

Greinke picked a poor time to revert to his early Astros form. Wade Miley appears to be a risk that just isn't working out. Good thing for him he's left handed. George Springer can start hitting any time now.

Oh well tomorrow's another day. Verlander is pitching Game 4. Short rest; hope this doesn't bite the Astros in the ass.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:

Oh well tomorrow's another day. Verlander is pitching Game 4. Short rest; hope this doesn't bite the Astros in the ass.
Verlander will probably pull this off, he is great. But on paper, I think it is a mistake. Let Verlander be your insurance for game 5 back at home.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
The Red Sox fans would. They loved the guy. He has been pretty much money in the postseason until this year. But I always thought he was over-rated as the Yanks hit him hard and often in the regular season, as did the Jays, Rays & O's. So as good as he was out of division, he was pretty bad in division all those years.

Now he is NL West and it appears his numbers against this new division are also bad. He only does well vs. Rockies.

I was shocked and extremely disappointed last October when he shut the Yanks down for 2+ innings.
He was good after he started the fight....and then found it in the post-season.

When he's on he's on....but he's something of a headcase.

I really feel like the Dodgers and Braves should employ me or another Red Sox fan when using Kelly or Melancon.

I can cure a lot of upset stomachs

Last edited by Dale Sams; 10-07-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:44 PM

2 on, 2 out, 2 strikes, bottom of ninth. Come on Chapman close this out.

Strike out to end the game. Yanks advance.

Oh, 13 straight over the Twins now. Wow.

Last edited by What Exit?; 10-07-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:51 PM

Let's go Rays!
Old 10-08-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Verlander will probably pull this off, he is great. But on paper, I think it is a mistake. Let Verlander be your insurance for game 5 back at home.
Cole will go on normal rest in game 5 though (if needed).
Old 10-08-2019, 08:48 AM

There was a chance for all the Division Series to end yesterday. I don't believe that has ever happened before.

Great win for the Yankees but you can't say the Twins didn't have their chances. Stellar defensive plays by Judge, Torres, and Didi were huge. Twins have bases loaded, no out, and fail to get a run. Huge. Even in the ninth inning, they ignore Maybin and he takes third base, later to score. Still, but for Didi's huge defensive stop, they could have pulled it out.

Surprised that Severino pitched as well as he has, given his extended absence this year. Losing German may loom large in the next series though.