Old 10-08-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Verlander will probably pull this off, he is great. But on paper, I think it is a mistake. Let Verlander be your insurance for game 5 back at home.
Verlander has been solid, but nowhere near as nails the last few months as Cole. I think it likely the Astros win, but it's far from certain. Vegas has Houston anywhere from -236 to -250, which I think is about right, a ballpark 70-30 favorite.

Still would like to see Springer and Brantley shake off the funk.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Nothing to say about the Cards and the Braves that hasn't already been said by Zakalwe and me - just five days ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Jeez. If you're playing the Cards, no lead is safe. As a Cubs fan, I can certainly feel for the Braves. You just can't EVER relax against those fuckers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
On the flip side, if you're a Cardinals fan, no lead is safe, either. You just can't EVER relax, even when they go into the bottom of the 9th with a four-run lead and a rested closer.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
There was a chance for all the Division Series to end yesterday. I don't believe that has ever happened before.
That they all ended, or that there was a chance they'd all end?
Old 10-08-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
That they all ended, or that there was a chance they'd all end?
I don't think we've ever had all 4 end at once. I'm not even sure that we've had a chance for them to end at once. Seems like it used to be that one of the DS had an odd stagger to their schedule with like an off day between games 1 or 2, maybe so not to conflict with the other DS in that league. So now with G4 in one league corresponding with G3 in the other, you have to have two series at 2-0 and 2 at 2-1.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Anybody have an old jockstrap the Dodgers can trade Joe Kelly for?
I've been shouting about how terrible this guy is all year long. The local LA area bar I go to always has fans groaning loudly when they see the glasses come out on the mound.

But Joe is actually a perfect example of the Dodgers bullpen. Their relief pitching is atrocious. Madea? Baez? Florio? I'll bet their collective ERA is well in the double digits for the year. And Dave Roberts has NO CLUE as far as when to pull a starter. Why pull Rich Hill in the 4th? The game is tied. Even if he lets up 3 or 4 runs, you're playing a good team. The Nats are not the Padres, Marlins, or Rockies. They've been in and out of first all year. And they started a starter that's better than all LA starters. So where are the bats? +287 run differential? I'm guessing the run diff against all remaining teams is around +3.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:34 PM

Kelly is the worst, and I've also been complaining loudly about him to anyone who will listen for, what feels like, forever.

He has got to go.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:25 PM

Wondering why Arron choses to start Stanton?

I would rather see Voit or Maybin in the start.

Any ideas?
Old 10-08-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I've been shouting about how terrible this guy is all year long. The local LA area bar I go to always has fans groaning loudly when they see the glasses come out on the mound.

But Joe is actually a perfect example of the Dodgers bullpen. Their relief pitching is atrocious. Madea? Baez? Florio? I'll bet their collective ERA is well in the double digits for the year. And Dave Roberts has NO CLUE as far as when to pull a starter. Why pull Rich Hill in the 4th? The game is tied. Even if he lets up 3 or 4 runs, you're playing a good team. The Nats are not the Padres, Marlins, or Rockies. They've been in and out of first all year. And they started a starter that's better than all LA starters. So where are the bats? +287 run differential? I'm guessing the run diff against all remaining teams is around +3.
Joe Kelly would probably be the Nats' third best reliever. And Davey Martinez has no clue how to manage a pitching staff. Maybe that's why the series is tied.

No damn way the Dodgers' pen is anywhere close to as bad as the Nats'. Now that's some bad pitchin'.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Verlander has been solid, but nowhere near as nails the last few months as Cole. I think it likely the Astros win, but it's far from certain. Vegas has Houston anywhere from -236 to -250, which I think is about right, a ballpark 70-30 favorite.

Still would like to see Springer and Brantley shake off the funk.
Verlander just transformed from a solid to a liquid...a dribbly yellow one.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Verlander just transformed from a solid to a liquid...a dribbly yellow one.
Not great, not terrible.

I'd think they could easily come back from 4-0 in the 5th, but they're pressing harder than a teenage boy with his first steady date. You'd think they'd show some more poise, considering they've been there before. Guess not.

But even if they don't, the Rays have to beat Cole in Houston. Good luck.

The Yankees and their fans must be loving this though.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:33 PM

I've seen enough of Michael Brantley. Great up until September, not so good after that. I have no idea why Tucker isn't playing over Reddick
Old 10-08-2019, 09:04 PM

The Rays have been absolutely knocking Houston's ass all over the park and I do not see the Astros salvaging this shitshow.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
Wondering why Arron choses to start Stanton?

I would rather see Voit or Maybin in the start.

Any ideas?
Stanton reached base 5 times in 11 plate appearances, so it's worked out okay. The Yankees have a logjam at DH and they'd be crazy not to play Encarnacion. I'd be happy to see more Maybin, especially in the outfield, but not Voit. He hasn't been the same since his sports hernia diagnosis. I'm pretty sure he's headed for offseason surgery.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:43 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
The Yankees and their fans must be loving this though.
Sure am.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Sure am.
Yes, me too. Especially as I questioned starting Verlander on short rest.

Now can the Rays can beat Cole back in Houston though?
Old 10-08-2019, 11:20 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Now can the Rays can beat Cole back in Houston though?
No, it's utterly impossible (even though Cole gave up 6 hits and 5 runs in losing to the Red Sox in the ALCS last year).
Old 10-09-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
No, it's utterly impossible (even though Cole gave up 6 hits and 5 runs in losing to the Red Sox in the ALCS last year).
Vegas does not feel it's impossible to beat him, just rather unlikely. http://www.vegasinsider.com/mlb/odds/las-vegas/

Started at -275 Astros, is now at -290. If they lose, I don't think it's because Cole was bad. It's really hard to win when you need to shut the other team out.

Really bad hitting series in Tampa for the Astros. Oh well, at least this will be exciting.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:40 AM

It's nice to sweep and watch the others play full 5 game series, but I'm worried that a long rest will leave the Yanks a bit rusty on Saturday. Hoping Tampa beats Houston in about 18 innings on Thursday.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Meanwhile, in the National League, both NLDS's will be decided today. From what I've seen so far, all four teams look vulnerable, and it's anybody's guess who winds up in the World Series on the NL side.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
It's nice to sweep and watch the others play full 5 game series, but I'm worried that a long rest will leave the Yanks a bit rusty on Saturday. Hoping Tampa beats Houston in about 18 innings on Thursday.
I don't think there's really any reason to think teams get rusty that fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem
I don't think we've ever had all 4 end at once. I'm not even sure that we've had a chance for them to end at once.
There's been a chance at least twice, on Oetober 9, 1999 and October 11, 2012. All ENDING on the same day, though, for sure that's right.

I didn't really write this down but it just feels to me like 3-game sweeps are more frequent than you would expect. I could be wrong though.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:16 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem
I don't think we've ever had all 4 end at once. I'm not even sure that we've had a chance for them to end at once.
Well, I'll be darned... actually, to my surprise, on October 5, 1996, all four division series ended. The Cardinals and Braves completed sweeps of the Padres and Dodgers, respectively (bad day for SoCal baseball) and the Orioles and Yankees beat the Indians and Rangers in Game 4 of their series. I'd never have guessed that.

There have been two other years it could have happened, in 1999 and 2012, but did not.

I am mildly surprised it doesn't happen more; in the latter stages of the DS you will usually have a day where all four series are scheduled to go, two for Game 4 and two for Game 5, which are all elimination games. It just hardly ever lines up. It might just be me - I didn't actually keep track as I was going through the records - but it feels like sweeps are more common than you would expect.

Last edited by RickJay; 10-09-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Well, I'll be darned... actually, to my surprise, on October 5, 1996, all four division series ended. The Cardinals and Braves completed sweeps of the Padres and Dodgers, respectively (bad day for SoCal baseball) and the Orioles and Yankees beat the Indians and Rangers in Game 4 of their series. I'd never have guessed that.
Thanks for the research. Surely I knew at the time that it happened but it didn't get lodged in my memory.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:02 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Well that was only the second year there was a DS. It might not have seemed all that unlikely an event when it was 50% of all relevant seasons
Old 10-09-2019, 02:59 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
It might just be me - I didn't actually keep track as I was going through the records - but it feels like sweeps are more common than you would expect.
If it's true, it could be because the Division Series is seeded, unlike the other two rounds, in which there is only one possible match up. Since the team with the best record usually plays the one with the worst record (with some exceptions since the Wild Card can have a better record than a division winner), there is more of an opportunity for a big mismatch between teams.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Stanton reached base 5 times in 11 plate appearances, so it's worked out okay. The Yankees have a logjam at DH and they'd be crazy not to play Encarnacion. I'd be happy to see more Maybin, especially in the outfield, but not Voit. He hasn't been the same since his sports hernia diagnosis. I'm pretty sure he's headed for offseason surgery.
Thank you for your reply Blank Slate.

I guess the record speaks for itself. But, I like the way Maybin looks on the field and at the plate. And he seems to have a positive influence on the team. With all the talent on the Yankee team, it will be hard for Maybin to get a foot in the door. But, I am rooting for him.

Again, l thank you for your answer. The MLB group on this MB seems to be rather clicky for a rookie like me. And I appreciate your response.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Damn!

I'm a Cardinals fan, so that's a good "damn," but still:

Damn.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Damn!

I'm a Cardinals fan, so that's a good "damn," but still:

Damn.
I just turned it on and missed the whole first inning fiasco. Holy crap, they walk in two runs and end it with a wild pitch/strike three for a tenth run? What did the Braves eat?
Old 10-09-2019, 04:39 PM

I guess, barring a miracle, that's it for the Braves. That's a bummer. Don't like the Cards, and was hoping that they'd go out in the Division Series.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:05 PM

And it all started with a small ball play. A bunt from Wong.

Gotta love baseball.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Gotta love baseball.
Yeah, you'd think there'd be a homer in there somewhere in the first, but nope. Now they're dropping double-play balls on the Braves.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:33 PM

Funniest tweet from StL fan in 2nd inning after scoring 11th run: "Finally, we get a security run."
Old 10-09-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
I guess, barring a miracle, that's it for the Braves. That's a bummer. Don't like the Cards, and was hoping that they'd go out in the Division Series.
I like the Cards only because they are Dodger killers in the playoffs.

I would love to see a TB v Washington World Series. Let a new team win it this season.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:28 PM

Let's go, Nats!
Old 10-09-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Let's go, Nats!
The Dodgers are the better team, but go Nats. The team with the most talent doesn't always win. If they don't win this one it won't upset me as much as the other four NLDS losses, just because they had to overcome so much just to make it this far.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:33 PM

So, a question. In the NL, could the visiting team bat the pitcher's spot first and begin the game with a bench player batting in that spot, and then sub in the starting pitcher for the bottom of the first?
Old 10-09-2019, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
So, a question. In the NL, could the visiting team bat the pitcher's spot first and begin the game with a bench player batting in that spot, and then sub in the starting pitcher for the bottom of the first?
Good question! I've never thought of that before.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:05 PM

Now that I've thought about it more, the only real effect is to have the pitcher be the 10th, 19th, 28th, etc batter instead of the 9th, 18th, 27th, etc. That may not be worth trading a bench player for.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Again, l thank you for your answer. The MLB group on this MB seems to be rather clicky for a rookie like me. And I appreciate your response.
My pleasure. And there can't be too much baseball talk around here as far as I'm concerned. I love Maybin; he's one of the guys who saved the Yankees season. Having Stanton and Maybin split the position is working pretty well so I expect it to continue in the ALCS.

As for the Rays, they're a damn good team, and they were last season too. I fully expect Cole and the Astros to prevail tomorrow night, but with their pitching, they have a chance. Can't wait to see this one.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, teams carry so much pitching these days that you really don’t want to sacrifice a bench player so early in the game. Especially if he’s some utility guy that you might want to sub in later in the game.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
No.

Rule 5.10 (f) says:
The pitcher named in the batting order handed the umpire-in-chief, as provided in Rules 4.02(a) and 4.02(b), shall pitch to the first batter or any substitute batter until such batter is put out or reaches first base, unless the pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the judgment of the umpire-in-chief, incapacitates him from pitching.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Gotta love baseball.
That's my reaction: there was nothing about the pitching that made you think that this would be a 10-run inning. It's a dropped pitch and some extreme plate discipline that started the whole unfortunate sequence for the braves. The Cards also swung level and/or down at the ball, which is classic small ball.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:28 PM

So Rendon reaches and then Soto homers. Extra innings. Ha ha, unlikely, but I'm really enjoying this one. Why not some free baseball?
Old 10-09-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
So Rendon reaches and then Soto homers. Extra innings. Ha ha, unlikely, but I'm really enjoying this one. Why not some free baseball?
I didn't get it quite right.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Baseball can be a funny game, Clayton Kershaw, 3 pitches and 2 home runs. Iíve heard this guy Kershaw is supposed to be a good pitcher.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:36 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
So Rendon reaches and then Soto homers.
Actually consecutive solo home runs by Rendon and Soto. Boom!
Old 10-09-2019, 10:45 PM

Why are they using starters anyway? They should bring in Joe Kelly. That guy is automatic.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:04 PM

Joe Kelley, the local idiot around here, just struck out the inning. I would’ve bet my house against that. Glad I don’t bet!

Clayton!!! Six pitches!! 4 pitches to get third out of 7th then gives up TWO HOMERS on two pitches. Poor guy. My heart goes out to him.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:07 PM

The Dodgers fans are just sitting there. Unbelievable.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
The Dodgers fans are just sitting there. Unbelievable.
Dodger fans are entitled.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:24 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Grand Slam! 7-3 Nats!