Old 10-04-2019, 08:36 PM

Smoked ham shank

So I was at the marvelous butcher near me and they had smoked ham shanks, and on impulse I bought one, about 2lbs. Now what do I do with it? Make bean soup?
Old 10-04-2019, 08:40 PM

Bean soup is one option. I'd use at least some of them to flavor a big pot of collard greens but that's just me.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I bought a 3 1/2 pounder from an Amish butcher when I was visiting Lancaster country a few months ago. For about $3.50.

You heat it up in the oven and serve it as one lavish dinner roast, with appropriate accompaniments.

Cut the leftover meat off the bone and keep it in a sealed plastic bag in the meat drawer of your fridge. Over the next week or two, consume it thin-sliced in sandwiches, chopped in omelettes or pasta dishes like Alí Amatriciana, or ground and made into ham salad.

The bone you froze after you cut the meat away. When the weather gets colder use it for a split-pea or navy bean soup, or in a big pot of pinto beans.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:48 PM

My ol'Granny made pork-n'-dumplings. I never liked it. But everyone else did.
I like my dumplings in chicken, like god intended.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
My ol'Granny made pork-n'-dumplings. I never liked it. But everyone else did.
Tell us how your ol’ Granny did it.

My ol’ Granny, from Bohemia, was always making pork with dumplings for Sunday dinner, but hers was a roasted pork loin seasoned with garlic and caraway, with potato dumplings and sauerkraut (sometimes braised red cabbage) on the side. The gravy was just the pan drippings loosened and scraped up with a little water...not thickened...just a thin sauce to moisten the sliced meat and dumplings.

Did yours do it all together — like chicken and dumplings — as one big thick soup or stew? That sounds great!

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 10-04-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:12 PM

Yes, cook the shank in plenty of water reducing the water. The shank it already cooked (smoked) you are shooting to reduce the water into a broth. Adding any spices or hebs you prefer. Sage was always on board. Granny added a over abundance of butter. Probably 1/4c is all I would add. While the broth is brewing make dumplings. Drop the dumplings into the rapidly boiling broth. Cover and turn to low and simmer 30min.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:26 PM

Red beans and rice. Here's a recipe from Chef John. I've made it a number of times, and it's very good. I substitute Colombian Chorizo for the anduille sausage, because that's what's available here. I'm sure it would be delicious with Hillshire Farms kielbasa if that's all you can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T06oh88VhiE
Old 10-04-2019, 09:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Yes, cook the shank in plenty of water reducing the water. The shank it already cooked (smoked) you are shooting to reduce the water into a broth. Adding any spices or hebs you prefer. Sage was always on board. Granny added a over abundance of butter. Probably 1/4c is all I would add. While the broth is brewing make dumplings. Drop the dumplings into the rapidly boiling broth. Cover and turn to low and simmer 30min.
No vegetables? Not even onions or garlic?

Side note: if youíre doing red beans and rice, or soup beans, or even bean or pea soup....I think you get plenty of ham flavor from the bone. Too much meat in the pot distracts from the goodness of the beans. A few shreds of meat that fall off the bone are fine, but save most of the cooked ham for another meal. Only my opinion, of course.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:02 PM

Smoked shanks rock!

Get out the slow cooker. Soak overnight some black beans. More liquid and ya got a great soup. Use less liquid and ya got some great makins for tacos.

Or, find a package of 12 bean dry soup mix. It comes with a seasoning packet.

Can't find the smoked shanks here. Gotta use smoked pork chops. And it ain't the same. The shank bone makes it!

Enjoy!
Old 10-05-2019, 07:37 AM

squeegee, was the butcher Corralitos Market? If so, don't they have the most awesome smoked meats? We always stop there when on a road trip*, and pick up smoked ham shanks, bacon, ham, etc. Try their smoked pork chops, too.

I braise the shank slowly in a dutch oven with pink beans at 320 degrees for three hours twenty minutes. The timing is easy to remember! Then I fish out the shank and shred the meat into big shreds while reducing the liquid in the pot, if it's too soupy. Meanwhile I'm sauteing onions, peppers and garlic in a small skillet until they're tender and starting to brown a little. Return the shredded shank to the pot, add the sauted vegies, and season to taste. Serve with rice and a bottle of Crystal hot sauce on the side.

*Then we go to Gizdich and get a half-gallon of fresh-squeezed, non-pasteurized apple juice. A third of which we drink in the parking lot.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
So I was at the marvelous butcher near me and they had smoked ham shanks, and on impulse I bought one, about 2lbs. Now what do I do with it? Make bean soup?
Any kind of soup where a smoked pork stock would be appropriate. There's a number of Central European soups that fit the bill. Something like kapusniak would work (sub the shank for the smoked spare ribs in the recipe). It's a sauerkraut and pork soup, so it helps if you like sauerkraut, but I don't find it too krauty, and the kraut is mixed with fresh cabbage in the recipe.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
squeegee, was the butcher Corralitos Market? If so, don't they have the most awesome smoked meats? We always stop there when on a road trip*, and pick up smoked ham shanks, bacon, ham, etc. Try their smoked pork chops, too.
Hi, Teela! No, it wasn't Corralitos . I keep hearing about that shop and will surely get over there, but haven't yet. This was Deluxe Foods in RDM, which is a pretty good butcher too - they make amazing sausages in-house for example, and every meat-thing I've gotten there has been top notch or better.

So thanks all for the suggestions. I guess I'm making bean soup. Never done that, so it should be fun. I'm partial to white beans so I guess I'll pick up some dried cannellini. I guess you soak them for a day? Then I'll do the crock pot (or the 320 for 3:20 oven method) and add sauteed onions, garlic. Maybe add a big mild chile. And carrots? Just thinking out loud.

FYI, the shank still has the pig skin on it; I guess that sloughs off once you slow cook the beans/meat mixture for a while? It's super tough right now, anchored to the rest of the cut.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:38 PM

Mmm, ham and beans time! I like using small white beans or pink beans, soak and drain them first then into the crockpot with the shank, a big roughly chopped onion and several cloves of garlic, enough water to cover then let that rip for about 8-10 hours. Serve over cornbread with chopped raw red onions on top. That's my favorite fall meal.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
FYI, the shank still has the pig skin on it; I guess that sloughs off once you slow cook the beans/meat mixture for a while? It's super tough right now, anchored to the rest of the cut.
Before cooking, you're going to want to cut through he skin. Make several parallel cuts through the skin, working your way completely around the shank. This done, reverse your grip and go around the shank in the other direction to cut the skin in a square or diamond shape pattern. Remember, skin is waterproof. Cutting it this way allows fat and flavor to render out during the cook and makes it dead simple to remove the skin after cooking.

Smarter people than I can instruct you how to turn this cooked pig skin into a wonderful treat. I'm sure it's more complicated than this but it seems to me nearly as simple as spreading it out on a wire rack over a baking sheet, sprinkle on too much brown sugar and bake at high heat to produce pig candy. I've eaten it but never seen it made.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:31 PM

Are we talking about eisbein here? Because roasted with some honey and mustard is the way to go, there.