Old 10-06-2019, 12:22 PM

Oh, H-E Double toothpicks! The end of profanity is near!

The "F "word is losing its oomph!

"M F" is starting to sound trite.

The "C" word? In a year or so I'll probably hear my mother utter it.

What's left? What's the future for profanity?
Old 10-06-2019, 12:39 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Profanity usually deals with concepts that mainstream society considers taboo or sacred. As time changes, what is considered taboo will change.

It used to be religious blasphemy was taboo. So christ, Jesus Christ, God Dammit, hell, etc. were swear words.

Then sexuality became taboo. So swear words revolved around sexual organs and sexual acts. George carlins 7 words you can't say on television all revolve around sex organs, sex acts, or what sex organs do. Shit, piss, cunt, fuck, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits. Of those, only cunt has some power left. The other 6 are blah.

Now in modern society, being seen as a bigot is very taboo. So any swear words based on bigotry are highly taboo.

Nigger, kike, towelhead, faggot, spear chucker, wetback, etc

If you don't think taboo swear words exist, use the phrase nigger at work and see what happens.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 10-06-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:09 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bits View Post

Tanj!

Shazbot!

Belgium!

Old 10-06-2019, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Profanity usually deals with concepts that mainstream society considers taboo or sacred. As time changes, what is considered taboo will change.

It used to be religious blasphemy was taboo. So christ, Jesus Christ, God Dammit, hell, etc. were swear words.

Then sexuality became taboo. So swear words revolved around sexual organs and sexual acts. George carlins 7 words you can't say on television all revolve around sex organs, sex acts, or what sex organs do. Shit, piss, cunt, fuck, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits. Of those, only cunt has some power left. The other 6 are blah.

Now in modern society, being seen as a bigot is very taboo. So any swear words based on bigotry are highly taboo.

Nigger, kike, towelhead, faggot, spear chucker, wetback, etc

If you don't think taboo swear words exist, use the phrase nigger at work and see what happens.
Racial slurs are taboo words, but not really swear words as such. If I run out of ink five pages into an important 100-page print job, I'm not about to start yelling racial epithets at the printer! (Our current crop of swear words, OTOH, works just fine for that purpose, and will, I expect, continue to work for many years, even if they are less shocking now than they used to be.)
Old 10-06-2019, 01:55 PM

Just do like my wife and make them up. English is her second language. "Son of a damn ass!", "You hill-jack!", "Mother huncher".

Dennis
Old 10-06-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Tanj!

Shazbot!

Belgium!

Felgercarb!
Old 10-06-2019, 02:01 PM

Profanity is redundant in this damn shitty fucked-up modern world. Since profanity reflects social perils, we curse with 'poor' or 'rich', etc. 'CEO' and 'refugee' are profane now even (especially?) as rich bastards and poor fucktards proliferate.

But wait, it gets worse! Ubiquitous surveillance is upon us. None can have any secrets. And we'll soon ditch our tired Net links for neural-implant interfaces that provide effective telepathy... which WILL be hacked... so everything we do, think, and say is cursed.

What a garbled gallumph of grapple!
Old 10-06-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Belgium!

Well, I never! *clutches pearls*

The line, you have crossed it.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Belgium!

stares at coach, shocked speechless

Erm, um, I, but, you!

Well flibbertygiblets coach, for that shocking trangression, I invite you to apply your oral sphincter to my anal sphincter, you unclean personage of dubious ancestry who engages in taboo mating rituals!

Perhaps Common Modern English(The Queen's English and American English, but not International English[i just made those up]) is evolving into Modern High English?

I'd presume that the two dialects of Queen's English and American English would further separate. OH I should probably include Strine as well
(FSM, that's some highschool essay level unicorn feces, but it was fun to write)

Last edited by DorkVader; 10-06-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:01 PM

We're ALL going to sound like Sarah Palin?
Old 10-06-2019, 06:34 PM

All I have to say is trump you! All of you are trumped up pences! You can all kiss my pompeo!
Old 10-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
All I have to say is trump you! All of you are trumped up pences! You can all kiss my pompeo!
Womp, womp.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Tanj!

Shazbot!

Belgium!

I award you the trophy for the most artistic use of the word Belgium. Congratulations!
Old 10-07-2019, 08:51 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I award you the trophy for the most artistic use of the word Belgium. Congratulations!
I found it rather gratuitous, myself.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
You can't even carry your own "blank"-strap!
Old 10-07-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Good swear words need to be monosyllabic. Things like: Carb it! Mesh you, you drive-tilter. Gearing yarn!
Old 10-07-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Was coming to post something similar but you did it much better than I would have.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaver of Nightmares View Post
Well, I never! *clutches pearls*

The line, you have crossed it.
You sure? You're not going to waffle on your opinion?
Old 10-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
The "F "word is losing its oomph!

"M F" is starting to sound trite.

The "C" word? In a year or so I'll probably hear my mother utter it.

I disagree. Those terms are like Rock and Roll, they will never die!
Old 10-07-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I understand the OP's concern. If you overuse swear words, they lose their pain-killing effect. This was scientifically proven in a single study that was reported in a magazine article that I read once. They used an ice bath and a stopwatch, so they had numbers and a graph and everything.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:17 PM

I've been wondering the same thing as the OP. I have still never heard mother-fucker on TV or radio, but the time will come. Somehow racial epithets don't seem as likely replacements. They are sufficiently taboo, but they also target identifiable groups to be used as swear words. I just don't see replacements on the horizon.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:36 PM

Here in the UK the C word doesn’t really hold much value anymore, imo. I was brought up on a council estate in the 70’s/80 though, in a mining community and I heard the word cunt used regularly.

I hear teenagers (generally boys but sometimes the girls too) band around the C word without a care. The N word and other racial slurs such as paki are NOT used here in the UK without the person throwing them around being totally berated and slayed for using them. They are not words you use.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:14 PM

My wife and I use the the term "queef". For instance, we tell the dog to "don't be a queef" when he acts up.

Going through a light and it looks like the other people are going to run it? Tell them to "don't be stupid queefs" as you pass.

That kinda thing.

As a social experiment, we have been using queef or a derivative of it in place of most curse words around work (we work in the same place.) Its catching on pretty well, we have people in The Greatest, Baby Boomer, Gen X, and Millennials using it now. I don't know what millennial's kids are called, but some of them are using it now too (high school kid age?)

Last edited by Translucent Daydream; 10-07-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:26 AM

"Hilljack" is, for a fact, an extant attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post
Just do like my wife and make them up. English is her second language. "Son of a damn ass!", "You hill-jack!", "Mother huncher".

Dennis
[Emphasis added] The other two might be original, quaint, and almost endearing, but "hilljack" has been around for a long time as a classist and elitist slur on rural-dwelling poor white people, similar to the more familiar "hillbilly".

It carries the same implications of backwardness, ignorance and assumed shunning of "advanced society" as do"stump jumper", "cedar chopper" or "goat roper".

Your wife probably doesn't use the word in that way, but it's basically something ugly and insulting to throw up to people and make them look lesser in the user's own eyes; perhaps it's not fighting words like "peckerwood" or "cracker", but it's rude, belittling and hostile nonetheless.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
My wife and I use the the term "queef". For instance, we tell the dog to "don't be a queef" when he acts up.

Going through a light and it looks like the other people are going to run it? Tell them to "don't be stupid queefs" as you pass.

That kinda thing.

As a social experiment, we have been using queef or a derivative of it in place of most curse words around work (we work in the same place.) Its catching on pretty well, we have people in The Greatest, Baby Boomer, Gen X, and Millennials using it now. I don't know what millennial's kids are called, but some of them are using it now too (high school kid age?)
Douche canoe, cock twaddle,
"Ok people, stop using your butt cheeks for ear flaps and pay attention to the driving "
Scrotum beans, bossman, butthugger or diaper rash for people following too close
Asshat for general use

Haven't heard anyone bandy about the word queef in a while.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Haven't heard anyone utter Crunk in awhile.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
Good swear words need to be monosyllabic. Things like: Carb it! Mesh you, you drive-tilter. Gearing yarn!
Oh, cank off, you shilty dongle!

Last edited by Smapti; 10-08-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:41 AM

Naddafinga!
Old 10-08-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post

Dennis

Wow! I like all of those. Nifty!
Old 10-08-2019, 04:06 PM

I think it all depends on the usage. If I stub my toe and say “Shit! That hurt like a motherfucker!” many people wouldn’t bat an eyelash. OTOH directing an “Eat shit motherfucker” at someone else is a whole different story.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post

That kinda thing.

You're old hat, every single comedy in the late 00's discovered the word queef and used it extensively, to the point they used it in the Ghostbusters 2016 trailer.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

I find translating Dutch swear terms still gets reactions: “dirty cancer whore” tends to be especially appreciated.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
You're old hat, every single comedy in the late 00's discovered the word queef and used it extensively, to the point they used it in the Ghostbusters 2016 trailer.
I think South Park had an episode, ah yes here it is.

Eat Pray Queef