Old 10-08-2019, 02:38 AM

Beckdawrek has a bad, bad, bad red face! (Nope. Not embarassed.)

Friday my face felt puffy and dry. I moisturize.
Saturday morning I look in the mirror. First off I never wanna look at my face in the morning. I avoid looking at myself as much as possible (yuk). I took a double take, not because I was so ravishing, 'cause my cheeks were bright red. Face still puffy. Thought maybe the moisterizer was messing with me. Washed my face. Applied a tiny bit of mineral oil on my cheeks.
I decided I better get dressed and skip out before Nazi DIL comes and makes me go to urgent care or something.
I run around mostly staying in the car. I did go in one store. A guy asked me was I ok. I told him I was fine. He kept looking at me. I go back to the car and look in the mirror. Jeez, I look bad. Bright red. Eyes look a bit weird. I oughta go on home. I gotta have corndogs, tho. So I do.
It rolls around Sunday. I still look red. DIL, her Sister and all their kids show up. House full. No one remarked on my red, and now swollen face. I think after they leave my head hurts a little. My throat is sore-ish.
Monday I called the clinic and tell my symptoms to the automated thing. I ride down to my mail box and wait for the nurse to return call. She knows my situation with voice calls. I get the call. She asked me questions. She said I most likely have '5ths disease', a virus mostly seen in kids. She told me to stay put. Avoid children. Uh-oh.
She will talk to the Doctor and see if they want me to come in.
I got a text later in the day. DO NO come to the clinic. Watch for fever and flu like symptoms.
Well, great! There would be five diseases. Four ain't enough. I would be the onliest adult in 4 counties to catch this. And... I spent Sunday with 5 kids.
How embarrassing!
I need a fifth of something, alright!
Old 10-08-2019, 03:29 AM

Yikes, Beck! it sounds like you're just going to have to rest up for a bit. No more corn dog runs for a few days! How does catching a bug affect your diabetes?
Old 10-08-2019, 06:50 AM

So, other than a virus mostly seen in kids, what the heck is 5th disease? Did the folks at the clinic give you any more info about it? I've never heard of it before. Is it one of those weird things like when you get this strange rash and the doc tells you your skin has a rino-virus infection? (Happened to my dad once, strange convo)
Old 10-08-2019, 07:38 AM

Yikes! I never heard of this bug, but could it be the result of your corndog addiction? At any rate, take it easy, and get well soon. Keep us posted.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

"Erythema infectiosum or fifth disease is one of several possible manifestations of infection by parvovirus B19.[3]
The name "fifth disease" comes from its place on the standard list of rash-causing childhood diseases, which also includes measles (first), scarlet fever (second), rubella (third), Dukes' disease (fourth, but is no longer widely accepted as distinct), and roseola (sixth)."

Looked it up on Wikipedia. I thought I was going to come back and tell everybody it was first diagnosed by some doctor named "Fifth".
Old 10-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkVader View Post
So, other than a virus mostly seen in kids, what the heck is 5th disease? Did the folks at the clinic give you any more info about it? I've never heard of it before. Is it one of those weird things like when you get this strange rash and the doc tells you your skin has a rino-virus infection? (Happened to my dad once, strange convo)
My brother had it when he was a kid, and I seem to remember one of my kids having it, as well. It's a pretty common childhood ailment (Googling tells me over 200K cases per year in the US). It's also sometimes called "slapped cheek disease/syndrome" because one of its tell-tale signs is it looks like your cheeks have been slapped.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:55 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

My wife used to teach at a Lutheran elementary school; they had an outbreak of fifth disease in the mid '90s, and had to close the school for a week, as so many kids (and staff) were affected.

The pastor at the church which ran the school was HIV-positive, and coming down with fifth disease led to the infection which ultimately killed him.

I hope you feel better soon, Beck!!
Old 10-08-2019, 10:25 AM

I feel like a truck ran over me this morning. Fever-y.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
Yikes, Beck! it sounds like you're just going to have to rest up for a bit. No more corn dog runs for a few days! How does catching a bug affect your diabetes?
Diabetic nurse said my immunity is low. As far as affecting my diabetes I just need to maintain a balance with my glucose numbers. I woke up alittle low this morning. Ate my breakfast and was able to get it back up to normal range. I have to make myself eat, no appetite.
I wonder how many of those kids that were around me Sunday get it. DIL is concerned with the youngist. She sat with me in my big chair while they were here. Oops.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:10 AM

Look at the bright side. The Parvo virus that dogs get causes severe vomiting and diarrhea and can be fatal!
Old 10-08-2019, 11:16 AM

Grubhub will deliver Sonic corn dogs. Do they do delivery in the boonies of Arkansas?
Old 10-08-2019, 11:23 AM

Thanks. Ya'll sure make a girl feel good. Do I have to worry about my dogs catching this. (I got tags of my own from the Vet, so there's that.)
Ain't nobody delivering this far out. I barely get mail.
Unless...umm..maybe I can convince DIL to get me corndogs...BRB.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:31 AM

Oh, god. I feel bad (not). I shamelessly begged for corndogs. DIL is going into town. I have a prescription at the pharmacy, she's gonna pick that up and bring me corndogs, Yay!!
(No sign of '5th disease Beck' spreading her pestilence to those kids yet)

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-08-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:33 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Oh, god. I feel bad (not). I shamelessly begged for corndogs. DIL is going into town. I have a prescription at the pharmacy, she's gonna pick that up and bring me corndogs, Yay!!
You didn't send her into town for corndogs. You sent her into town to pick up meds; it just so happens that Sonic is on the way. Excellent rationalization, my friend.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Do I have to worry about my dogs catching this.
Nope! Bright side, once more.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:34 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Also, you now have a built-in reason for not doing chores for a few days.

You could even say that you'd be "pleading the Fifth."

Yeah, that was bad...I'll see myself out.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Also, you now have a built-in reason for not doing chores for a few days.

You could even say that you'd be "pleading the Fifth."

Yeah, that was bad...I'll see myself out.
I already thought of that. Ha. Brilliant minds think alike!
Old 10-08-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
The name "fifth disease" comes from its place on the standard list of rash-causing childhood diseases, which also includes measles (first), scarlet fever (second), rubella (third), Dukes' disease (fourth, but is no longer widely accepted as distinct), and roseola (sixth)."
What a lazy-ass way to name a disease.

Hey, Beck, what is #5 on the list? You can just call it that.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:27 PM

(how does he know about my lists...hmm?)
Old 10-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Those "red" viruses (measles and their ilk) are spread through coughing and sneezing. Depending on their incubation period, you probably picked the bug up from a li'l wrekker on a previous visit.

Kids, especially the smaller variety, are notorious germ factories. Think of all the nose picking and butt scratching thet do!

The further down the tree, the shorter the duration of the disease. You are already over the worst part. And now you are immune to any little Fives running down your driveway, through your garden, or cavorting with the feral beasts.

~VOW
Old 10-08-2019, 01:52 PM

Yes, my disease is apparently passed its use-by-date. I'm not a biological weapon, anymore. Dang it.
Bring in the rugrats, I'm immune.
Got my corndogs. Yay!!
And...wait a minute... I can hardly contain myself..amazing!
They called me in a prescription for Codeine cough syrup, with one refill. WTH? I'm not coughing. Never said I was. My glands in my neck and throat are tender. Maybe that's why. Dammit. This stuff is like gold or a unicorn. I'm kinda afraid of it.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-08-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:16 PM

We have a rule in our family: NEVER decline a pain Rx! Whoopie cough syrup qualifies.

Winter is not yet upon us. I predict all manner of germies and upper respiratory bugs. Any one of them will leave you with the notorious hack-hack-hack that keeps the whole house awake.

Collect your whoopie cough syrup and refill, and hide carefully. Others will bless you later.

~VOW
Old 10-08-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
What a lazy-ass way to name a disease.
Agreed. All in favor of renaming it Beck's Disease, raise your corn dogs.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I nominate RedBecker!

~VOW
Old 10-08-2019, 02:47 PM

Y'all so crazy!
Old 10-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Hear hear!
Old 10-08-2019, 02:55 PM

Psst Beck, you sure it's not a corn dog allergy?

Just joking. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Psst Beck, you sure it's not a corn dog allergy?

Just joking. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Hush yo' mouth!
Don't even jinx me like that!

Old 10-08-2019, 07:30 PM

Update from an unlikely seeming few hours ago:
I now know why they sent cough syrup. My throat is ticklish on the right side. My right temple is throbbing and my right eye hurts. My hair hurts. Ouchy. I hate 5ths disease.
I think I picked up this germ from little grand-wrekkers parent/grandparent night at her school. Why oh why did I go? DiL is watching the girls for first signs. She said no one at the school was talking about it today. They wouldn't be talking about it cause they're probably at home on their death bed. Taking their codeine cough syrup...Ugh!
Old 10-08-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
My hair hurts.
It's killing me!
Old 10-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

I've never had a corn dog. Or 5th's disease.

StG

Last edited by StGermain; 10-08-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:26 PM

Get the corn dog. Run far far away from kindergartners with rosy cheeks.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:31 PM

Codeine, wow, thats the stuff that scared me off painkillers stronger than asprin and a nap. Please be very careful with it Beck.

Pretty please with corndogs sprinkled on top even
Old 10-08-2019, 11:48 PM

I need an opiate addiction like I need a new Siamese cat. Not happening to this girl.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-08-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:30 AM

Aaah, addiction wasn't what I was thinking of. The reason I dislike stronger pain meds and am very cautious is because the first time I ever had a scrip for codeine, someone forgot to carry the one or something when calculating the correct dose for me. I took the first one and was supposed to take one every three hours as needed. Within a couple of hours I was asking my roomie if I had taken my codeine yet and kept doing that all damn day. It really messed me up.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:48 AM

Oh. That was scary.
I took a teasp. of the cough medicine. In exactly 13 seconds it landed in the porcelain throne with a splash. Don't think me and this stuff can coexist. Aw, nuts!
Old 10-09-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

that is how i found out i could not take codeine.

they gave me tylenol w/codeine for wisdom teeth removal. told me to take it before the procedure, got to the dentist, and dentist canceled. cool, free day off. got home and wham! got sick every hour nearly on the hour for quite some time. thankfully, i didn't have to deal with sick and a bloody holey mouth together. told the dentist what happened, "no codeine" was written all over the chart.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:54 PM

Man, I love me some codeine.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Man, I love me some codeine.
Dude. In the event you need to bug-out get to S.Arkansas. I'll hook you up.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:51 PM

Beck, did the clinic say how long you'll be sick with 5ths disease?

I know it's frustrating when you don't feel your best. Maybe have two corn dogs after it clears up.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-09-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:33 PM

I'm feeling better today. It's a quickie disease, I guess. Steroids bumped me up. Can't really use the cough syrup. Aleeve and not getting over heated helps. Thank goodness we've cooled off here in Arkansas.
Had a kerfuffle with my washing machine that got my blood pressure up. I fixed that (yay!). And I'm calm again. My blood-glucose level is behaving itself today. Monitor and pump are working flawlessy.

(Well, I just jinxed myself)
Mr.Wrekker will be in tomorrow.
Cats are being real brats today. No news there.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-09-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkVader View Post
Codeine, wow, thats the stuff that scared me off painkillers stronger than asprin and a nap. Please be very careful with it Beck.
Quote:
I need an opiate addiction like I need a new Siamese cat. Not happening to this girl.
You're really unlikely to get addicted from a few doses of cough syrup.

Reactions to codeine vary widely. Start (if you haven't already) with the smallest recommended dose or a bit less, while somebody else is in the house and you don't have to do anything much, and see what it does to you. However, very many people can take codeine cough syrup with either no symptoms other than yay! no cough! or at worst with sleepiness.

It never did anything to me but make the cough stop. And it's now close to impossible to get. I second pick up that renewal and if you don't need it all -- or don't need any of it -- hoard the stuff. It really really works on cough, much better than anything else does. It prevents being kept awake all night by the hacking dry cough stage -- and it's really hard to get better, even if all you've got is a bad cold, when you can't sleep.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:47 PM

I definitely have a cough. I have sugar free Hall's that are helping. If I take anymore cough syrup it will be after my late snack time. I took it kinda late last night and it came right back up. I woke up coughing this morning. As soon as I was upright it ceased for a while.
My face redness has lessened and my head isn't throbbing.

Cats! Amirite? They are not happy with me coughing or the smell of the lozenges. Complaining loudly. I got the washer going, so I put towels in the dryer. They liked that. The dryer beds are their fave. I have peace as long as the dryer is going. I'm washing sheets from the guest room. They might have been a little used.
So we're good around here for now.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-09-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:11 AM

Bex, as a commiserative offer to the Gods a corn dog was sacrificed in your honour on the drive back from the field yesterday, slathered liberally with yellow mustard from a packet or two and washed down with a peach hibiscus iced tea. FWIW, you may want to switch to mint lozenges as the cats may like it more (catnip is a member of the mint family). I'm glad you're feeling better!

Last edited by swampspruce; 10-10-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:38 PM

Yay! Corndogs help make me happy. A happy beck feels better.
I'm on the mend. Got out for alittle while this afternoon.
I do believe I'll live.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Had a kerfuffle with my washing machine that got my blood pressure up. I fixed that (yay!). And I'm calm again.
Post this shit. You might get a Nobel Prize.

Last edited by Gatopescado; 10-10-2019 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Or an AVN Award. Who knows?
Old 10-10-2019, 11:27 PM

I'm waiting on a call from the commitee. Hey! It could happen.
That will be a bad, bad, bad thread in MPSIMP for the ages.
Gato! You so funny

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-10-2019 at 11:30 PM. Reason: AVN my foot!
Old 10-11-2019, 12:54 AM

Like a rural Erma Bombeck!

If Life is Like a Side of Corn Dogs, What Am I Doing in the Sweetgums?

Last edited by cochrane; 10-11-2019 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Like a rural Erma Bombeck!

If Life is Like a Side of Corn Dogs, What Am I Doing in the Sweetgums?
Yep, there was a bomb, beck, for real! I thought the end was nigh, upon us. I actually said Jesus Christ, in a unbelieving way.
Yea, verily.
Turns out a truck just blew up, down the road from me.