Old 10-08-2019, 07:18 PM

Stephen A Smith, Daryl Morey, China, ESPN and Values

As I am sure that you already know, Houston Rockets GM posted a short and innocuous tweet supporting the pro Democracy protestors in Hong Kong. Amidst the fallout, ESPN has banned talk of any of the issues on their airwaves:

https://deadspin.com/internal-memo-e...lit-1838881032

As despicable as their stance, Stephen A Smith goes yet further:

https://deadspin.com/stephen-a-smith...ryl-1838854121

ESPN and their yapping lapdog SAS seem to believe that money trumps values. China is problematic overall. They have imprisoned a million muslims https://www.npr.org/2019/10/08/76415...-relatives-say ; they have created a social credit system that targets those who deviate from CCP values with loss of rights https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System .

ESPN and Disney are wrong for kowtowing to an oppressive government. They are complicit in Chinas human rights violations by taking their money while pretending serious abuses dont exist.

Giving lip service to pro Democracy protesters in Hong Kong is the least we can do in the West. Making China live up to their one country two systems agreement is the right thing to do.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
ESPN and their yapping lapdog SAS seem to believe that money trumps values.
Oh, if it were only them.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Oh, if it were only them.
I agree but its just so wretchedly hypocritical of an ESPN that promotes wokeness in the West. ESPN COULD take a nuanced stand that acknowledges criticism of China while also acknowledging Chinas position without taking sides or kowtowing to China.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:07 PM

I canceled ESPN today and called their customer service line, and told them why.

Besides, I can watch the Cubs on MLB.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Nobody with any intelligence takes Stephen A Smith seriously. He's never been right about any topic, anywhere, anytime.

And it's not surprising that ESPN silences their employees who take a stance that might upset their advertisers - see Jemele Hill, among others.

I know it's not the subject of the thread, but I will admit to being pleasantly surprised with how Adam Silver is handling this. This has the potential to cost the NBA a lot of money, but to this point Silver is adamantly backing Morey's right to say what he wants. Hopefully he stays strong on this.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Nobody with any intelligence takes Stephen A Smith seriously. He's never been right about any topic, anywhere, anytime.
From 2011 through 2016, Smith was wrong every single time in predicting the NBA Finals eventual champion. An 0-6 record in six guesses.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
I know it's not the subject of the thread, but I will admit to being pleasantly surprised with how Adam Silver is handling this.
Silver may be the only major sport commissioner I have even a scintilla of respect for, going back to the Donald Sterling/Clippers debacle. Folks in his position are pulled in a million directions, especially by the owners/corporate interests. But Silver has shown more personal integrity and genuine diplomacy skills in his tenure than I generally expect from people with his job title.

He may not be perfect, but he does a better job than most.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:34 AM

Steven A. Smith is a collossal moron. This is not news. The NBA's China policy is news, but let's just talk about the grown-ups involved.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

This is one of the side-effects of the consolidation of the media. ESPN doesn't broadcast in China; there's no reason why ESPN should be censoring itself out of concerns of losing business in China.

But ESPN is owned by Disney. So all the Chinese government has to do is threaten the revenue of some other division of Disney and Disney executives will pull the leash on ESPN.

Makes you wonder how ABC's news coverage of China is similarly affected. And what Viacom is telling CBS and Comcast is telling NBC and Warner is telling CNN.

I guess the communists running China have figured out how to make capitalism work in their favor.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
Silver may be the only major sport commissioner I have even a scintilla of respect for, going back to the Donald Sterling/Clippers debacle. Folks in his position are pulled in a million directions, especially by the owners/corporate interests. But Silver has shown more personal integrity and genuine diplomacy skills in his tenure than I generally expect from people with his job title.

He may not be perfect, but he does a better job than most.
Silver is a light-year better than David Stern. Stern didn't even try to put up a pretense of being impartial or unbiased like a commissioner is supposed to be - he once famously said that his dream NBA Finals matchup was "Lakers vs. Lakers."
Old 10-11-2019, 01:30 PM

ESPN has also been using a map image that endorses China's claim to the entire South China Sea, a region bordered by many neighboring nations. (Akin to as if Illinois were to claim all of Lake Michigan for itself)
Old 10-11-2019, 01:38 PM

If I'm not mistaken ESPN has had a "hosts will not express personal opinions about politics or controversial social issues" policy for years now. Both Curt Schilling and Jemele Hill got popped for breaking this rule.

I think that if an athlete says something then the hosts can use that as a vehicle to discuss the athlete and their opinion but they want their hosts to be talking heads and nothing more.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

LeBron has now stepped into this steaming pile of shit. He is saying that Morey "wasn't educated" on the China/ Hong Kong situation.

Personally, I am very much looking forward to LeBron 'educating' all of us.