Old 10-09-2019, 03:18 PM

Do you have a "happy" job?

I don't. I get well paid and all, and no heavy lifting, but 100% of my job involves dealing with people claiming disability benefits. Even when I'm helping deserving people, it makes for a long a day to hear never-ending tales of people who fail to succeed in this system.

Job pays well, and supports a comfortable lifestyle, but can be awfully draining. But I'm not here to complain and am not looking for sympathy or anything.

I gotta imagine SOMEONE out there has a "happy" job - however you describe it. After the day I just had, I'd love to hear about such jobs.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:44 PM

I'm an Artist. I actually sell some mixed media things. I do sign lettering. Which I love. I did a couple of large floor logos of the school mascot. Hard on the knees. Got paid well. Done a few murals. Hard work that.
Mostly I'm having fun. And am happy.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

I do not have a happy job. However, once upon a time I spent several months working an ice cream cart selling Dove bars. That was the happiest job ever. No matter how hot, cold, or bored I got, everyone came to the ice cream cart with happy anticipation, and everyone left even happier.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:44 PM

I wouldn't say I have a happy job. It's not emotionally satisfying, intellectually stimulating or even interesting. It's tedious, repetitive factory work. Bags come down a conveyor belt, ten bags go in a box, box is closed and put on the outgoing belt - repeat for 12 hours a day. The people are great though. We have fun with each other, play good tunes and for the most part, the day flies by. When we're not having fun as a team, I'm alone with my thoughts. Frankly, this is a delight. Hours can go by where I don't have to hear about anyone else's crap.

Considering the nature of the job and my physical limitations, the pay is very good and I have great benefits - my coworkers are a nice fringe benefit.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

I teach. It can be frustrating at times, of course, but the good moments, when I see the "a-ha moments", easily make up for that.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:45 PM

I've got a happy job. Overall everyone gets along well with everyone else and we all work well together, even between the front office and operations. Most of us are genuinely friends and often do things with and for each other. My job, of course, involves lots of heavy lifting and carrying. I like it though. I discovered long ago when I was just barely taller than youngun that office work was very easy and very boring and very frustrating sometimes and that I don't have the patience for it and if I can't go outside and see the sky for way too much time for a fully indoors job, I get depressed and angry and bitter and evil. So yeah, I got a happy job and we like each other very much.

Last edited by DorkVader; 10-09-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

No. I have a job I don't mind doing, but right now I don't have enough work to keep me interested. My new director doesn't seem to understand what I do, and although she's happy with my output, I used to be much more involved. However, it pays okay, I work from home 4 days a week, and I'm saving and looking forward to retirement in another 6-7 years.

My father use to say he loved every day on the job, even the frustrating ones. I've never had that. I exchange my labor, knowledge and skill for money. That's all there is to it.

StG
Old 10-09-2019, 07:15 PM
BANNED

I'm happy with my job. It's not a "get rich" one, but you can make make an American living at it.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Ummm, these days, not so much.

Eva Luna, Immigration Paralegal

P.S. It's not all bad - just yesterday, I found out that I managed to convince USCIS that the President and Executive Director of a global IT company that you have all heard of, with revenues in the hundreds of millions, qualifies as a manager for immigration purposes!

P.P.S. At least I'm not doing asylum cases these days. However, I'm also not seeing so many cute photos of clients' babies, either.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

I do, now that I'm retired.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:15 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

My job doesn't make me miserable, which is its own form of happiness in a way.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:37 PM

I was unemployed back in 2013. I delivered flowers on Valentine's Day. That was still my favorite day of any job.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Yes. Not in a "bubbling over with rainbows every day" sort of thing, but it's intellectually satisfying and I feel I'm doing some good things.

Part of the job satisfaction is that there's a lot of variety in the type of cases I deal with. Never boring, often stressful.

But putting together a well-crafted argument, writing it out, and then standing up in court to make the case - lot's-o-fun!
Old 10-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

My job consisted of listening to the employees complain about the prisoners and the prisoners complain about the employees with occasional breaks of having employees complain about other employees and prisoners complain about other prisoners. Which was the good part of my job because I could tell employees and prisoners to shut up and just do what I said. The bad part of my job was dealing with the bad ideas from the people above me and trying to persuade them not to do something dumb. The boring part of my job was doing all of the above while keeping everything running on a day-to-day basis. And the interesting parts of my job were the worst because anything interesting that happens in a prison is usually terrible.

So, no, happy's not the word I would use.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

I got laid off 3 weeks ago from a major financial services firm. It’s ok, I was miserable there. So, I’m searching for the happy job or at least one which doesn’t drive me to drink.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:07 AM

My eldest dtr has a happy job. She is a youth librarian. Sure, she occasionally complains about a patron or some mgmt BS, but the majority of her job enjoys sharing her love for books, music, and learning w/ young people. Of course, she gets paid dirt...
Old 10-10-2019, 07:50 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I'm a mechanical drafter for the portion of our company that designs and builds flight trainers and maintenance trainers for various military organizations. I don't know that I'd call it a happy job, but I enjoy the work and my coworkers, and it's kinda cool when I wander out on the shop floor and recognize things that I've drawn.

I think I will be sad when I retire at the end of the year, at least briefly sad...
Old 10-10-2019, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
I wouldn't say I have a happy job. It's not emotionally satisfying, intellectually stimulating or even interesting. It's tedious, repetitive factory work. Bags come down a conveyor belt, ten bags go in a box, box is closed and put on the outgoing belt - repeat for 12 hours a day. The people are great though. We have fun with each other, play good tunes and for the most part, the day flies by. When we're not having fun as a team, I'm alone with my thoughts. Frankly, this is a delight. Hours can go by where I don't have to hear about anyone else's crap.

Considering the nature of the job and my physical limitations, the pay is very good and I have great benefits - my coworkers are a nice fringe benefit.
When I was a kid, I read Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Charlie's father, Mr. Bucket, works in a factory screwing the tops onto tubes of toothpaste. When I read that, I thought, "Oh, that sounds good", which is probably not the reaction Mr. Dahl was going for. I see now I was right all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
My eldest dtr has a happy job. She is a youth librarian. Sure, she occasionally complains about a patron or some mgmt BS, but the majority of her job enjoys sharing her love for books, music, and learning w/ young people. Of course, she gets paid dirt...
My daughter is a librarian too! I wish I could be as cool as her when I grow up.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:57 AM

More neutral than anything; while my immediate IT department co-workers and I joke, laugh, etc... a big component of the job is dealing with internal business clients for their IT needs, and that's frequently contentious, as the predecessors in my department didn't do a great job of managing their expectations, nor of managing their involvement, etc... So we get a lot of scope change and missed requirements because they don't take it seriously on the front end, which makes it contentious when we get to the latter stages of the project and say "No, you can't have that feature; you didn't ask for it back in May, and we didn't budget for it."

The overall attitude here is upbeat though, even with the contention, and I do have to say that even though contentious, it doesn't ever become angry or impolite.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:57 AM

I'm not sure if this counts, my actual work isn't "happy", it's just kind of "there". But it is very kush and I make a lot of money, so I'm happy when I clock off at least. I am grateful to have it and hope the gig lasts forever, though I know it won't. Software engineering, working from home.

Last edited by Ashtura; 10-10-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:48 AM

When I was REALLY young, the job I always thought I wanted was the guys who walked around in the city parks picking up trash, with a big sack over their shoulder and a stick w/ a nail on the end. Just thought it looked so pleasant - strolling about the park, jabbing at things w/ a pointy stick.

Just to think - I coulda had THAT job, instead of ending up a lawyer!

Last edited by Dinsdale; 10-10-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:10 AM

I have a happy job- playing and teaching music. Oh sure, there's low points, but it's mostly happy. I just wish I were a happier person.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpbass View Post
I have a happy job- playing and teaching music. Oh sure, there's low points, but it's mostly happy. I just wish I were a happier person.
Bolding mine.

This is something that you can control. It is not easy, OK for some it is easy, but it was/is not for me. I get up every morning and consciously choose to be happy that morning.

Letting the BS that comes along get to me is not allowed. For me this has been work! However, the more I practice this choice the easier it becomes.

Then at noon, I again choose to be happy. Again it is work, yet the work is worth the lack of stress.

Again in the evening, I choose to be happy. This is easier, as I choose what I spend my time doing.

I choose to not be stressed out by anything that I can not control. If my bosses are making impossible demands & they are unapproachable, I find a new-to-me job. OTOH, If there is a chance that the situation will change soon, I may stick it out for, at most, 6 months.

This is where my choice to take four years off from school after graduating from High School comes in handy. I learned then how to find jobs & I can now find a job almost anywhere. This is also the time that I determined that life is too short to work at a job I hate.

As I grow older, I see from the perspective of being the more experienced man I am. I can now see what I should spend my time, effort & emotions on.

Rght now I only have one job, as I just got laid off from my seasonal job. I do not need the seasonal job, but the extra money is nice & I love the work that I do. It is a service to my community.

I also umpire softball & baseball. Again I love this job. It is also seasonal. My last game for this season is today. I do not count umpiring as a job, I enjoy it too much for it to be a job.

OTOH, I love my "real" job as well. I get paid to work on antique machinery! What others do as a hobby I get paid for! Yes, it does not pay as well as the high stress jobs, but my happiness is not for sale.

My "retirement job", I hope, will be working on antique airplanes.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:47 PM

Not a new or original observation by any means, but anyone notice that so far the happy(er) jobs seem to mostly be lower paying jobs?
Old 10-10-2019, 02:29 PM

I was happy once, about 7 years ago, for about 6 seconds. I kinda wish it hadn't happened, because now I know what it feels like.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkVader View Post
Not a new or original observation by any means, but anyone notice that so far the happy(er) jobs seem to mostly be lower paying jobs?
Just to be oppositional. I love my job everyone I work with tends to be happy and passionate and my job is so much fun it is hard for people to learn what ai do and not spend hours asking me questions and listening to my stories about work. I design and build distilleries, breweries and wineries and also consult on product development and running of distilleries.

My pay is more then I've made at any point in my life though not quite as steady as when I was a manger in the oil field. I enjoy the lack of steadiness too though because this week and next I'm taking off to work on my house and I get a ton of time with my wife and kids.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:46 PM

Ah, yer not bein oppositional. I know for a fact that there are jobs that pay anywhere from well to OMG that make the doers of those jobs very happy.

But, you hit on it though. Your job allows you to have a good quality life that is not entirely connected to how much money you make.

I'd guess that those of us that work lower paying jobs have three things, it is work we like doing, we probably mostly get along with who ever we work with, mostly, and we all seem to have managed to not let work take over our entire mental/emotional living space, in part because even though we may not be making good let alone OMG money, we know that the bills will be paid, we have some sort of feeling of security.

Maybe you don't know where or what project you will be doing next month or whatever, but you still have that modicum of security because I'd guess you have some amount of money squirrelled away and you know you can survive for some period until you find a new income stream.

Last edited by DorkVader; 10-10-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:18 PM

I've had a few happy jobs, long ago...
Old 10-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

I have a happy job. In 2017 I left my career as a technical writer (which was a a good job, paid well, and had great benefits and co-workers) to write novels full-time. My spouse still has a good job in IT (he's a QA engineer at Apple) which has great benefits, and he supported my decision to follow my dream. Every day I'm happy to get up and go to work. Haven't looked back even once.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:54 PM

Mine can be quite happy, it depends on the levels of idiocy involved. I'm a consultant in IT; I learn my clients' processes, propose improvements, test the new processes and eventually get to teach them to people. My direct targets are people who work in Quality Control, Maintenance or Production; often they're relatively uneducated and very fearful of the changes my team brings. That moment when someone who'd been terrified of losing his job due to being unable to understand the new processes realizes that he does in fact understand them just fine? Absolutely priceless. Sometimes the level of wonder on their part and corresponding joy in mine is barely one step below a toddler discovering snow

Last edited by Nava; 10-10-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:55 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

My job is not happy. Working in a prison delivering health care is daunting, and filled with people whose perceived medical 'needs' are not actual needs, nor even beneficial to them if provided, but they cannot accept that their desires are not being granted.

On the other hand, I do benefit a lot of folks who have legitimate medical needs which had been going unmet before they met me. I can take satisfaction in that, and also satisfaction in performing my duty to my patients, regardless of whether they're satisfied with my care and education about their health situation.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I have a happy job. In 2017 I left my career as a technical writer (which was a a good job, paid well, and had great benefits and co-workers) to write novels full-time. My spouse still has a good job in IT (he's a QA engineer at Apple) which has great benefits, and he supported my decision to follow my dream. Every day I'm happy to get up and go to work. Haven't looked back even once.
I am one of your faithful readers
Old 10-10-2019, 07:57 PM

I play with doggies when their rich owners are away. It's the happiest possible job.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
When I was REALLY young, the job I always thought I wanted was the guys who walked around in the city parks picking up trash, with a big sack over their shoulder and a stick w/ a nail on the end. Just thought it looked so pleasant - strolling about the park, jabbing at things w/ a pointy stick.

Just to think - I coulda had THAT job, instead of ending up a lawyer!
For a bit I thought it would be nice to be a parking lot attendant, the kind that sits in the little shack all day, parks cars and takes money, but I ended up doing the lawyer thing too. It's been a bit over 15 years and I'm ready to move on, or at least find a different area to explore. It's had its moments, but I'm restless.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:24 PM

I was a professor and research mathematician and it was a happy job. Marking tests was not, but most of the rest was. The research part is what I have continued to pursue in the nearly 20 years since I retired and I do that for no pay, so you better believe it makes me happy.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:26 PM

I think I have a happy job, mostly.

I work retail in a store that caters to people that own horses (Dover Saddlery, for the horsey among us). The job can be irritating, or dull sometimes, but for the most part it’s people buying things that make them happy, or to make the animal that they love happy. Sometimes they are buying supplies for a sick or injured horse, but the love is still there, and the passion for the sport. Totally shallow, perhaps, but there are a fair number of folk who are also part of rescues and therapy groups, and seeing parents happily fostering a love of animals and outdoor sport in their kids is great, especially when it can serve to stave off boys/drugs/semi-delinquent behavior, and teach girls to be tough, athletic, and self sufficient.

I like my job
Old 10-10-2019, 08:28 PM

I’m in Afghanistan to reopen our office after a suicide attack destroyed our previous one, so no.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

No, I don't, not anymore. It may change, but I doubt it.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I was happy once, about 7 years ago, for about 6 seconds. I kinda wish it hadn't happened, because now I know what it feels like.
Was that right before your wings melted?

My job is hella depressing for the most part, but it makes me happy, for the most part. I defend parents when social workers take their kids away. The system is brutally unfair and everything that's awful about government--indifferent, inefficient, incompetent, etc. Some of my clients aren't the nicest people either. And I lose a lot, no matter how hard I work, which is hard on the ego. But every once in a while, I get to see justice served and a child go home to a loving family, and I can live off that feeling for months.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Was that right before your wings melted?

My job is hella depressing for the most part, but it makes me happy, for the most part. I defend parents when social workers take their kids away. The system is brutally unfair and everything that's awful about government--indifferent, inefficient, incompetent, etc. Some of my clients aren't the nicest people either. And I lose a lot, no matter how hard I work, which is hard on the ego. But every once in a while, I get to see justice served and a child go home to a loving family, and I can live off that feeling for months.
When I win custody for my client in a paternity case or a contested guardianship, that feeling that the child is not going to be living with their drug-addled and/or abusive parent is a good one that can last for a spell.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:21 PM

Personal & Esprise Me, Thank you for what you do!

As a former foster parent, I know the difference that you both make in the lives of these kids.

Just know that you are doing good work. Thank you.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:09 AM

I am not happy with my job, But sometime I feel good.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:48 AM

I design/program/make/maintain/support controls for machinery in a wide range of industries. I positively love my job. I get to make stuff work.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

For me, a happy job is one that: a) pays well, b) is fun, c) has minimum contact with other people and d) zero contact with the general public.

My last job met all four qualifications. I worked in a research lab developing AI software for UAVs. I got to train/test my work by flying against it (as an adversary) in a big domed simulator. I had no set schedule and could come in and leave as I pleased. My coworkers were wonderful, but I could spend entire days in my little cave without talking to anyone if I preferred. No dealing with gen-pop, and boss only once per month. The reason I'm using past tense is that I retired 3 months ago, and I'm even happier now. I can RV down to the coast and spend an entire week by myself now.

My kiddo recently started a really happy job, and I haven't seen him this jazzed in years. He finally got enough airline experience to get hired by one of the big cargo carriers. He now travels all over the world, everywhere from Alaska to Pacific atolls, to Greenland and others. Like mine above, his job meets all the qualifications -- pays well, only one other person in the cockpit, no gen-pop, and is lotsa fun.

My wife works as operations manager for a large loan department (oversees 25 branches I think). Although it pays well, her work involves constant dealing with her large department, tedious work, and constant contact with the general public too. As you might expect, she's miserable and hates it. Thankfully she can retire soon, so it's bearable for now.

Last edited by pullin; 10-11-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

My job is not particularly happy, but I like the fact that the business I help run is in an industry that is fundamentally important to the economy, and I get to see it chug along every single day. I can look out my window and see thousands of containers of goods destined for our stores, and hundreds of trucks coming and going to make sure we can buy the things we need.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

I get paid to learn about science and I'm surrounded by people who are as smart as or (most typically) smarter than me. Good deal.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:58 AM

Yes. I work for a DoD contractor, but I'm not on the "blowing them apart" side, I'm on the "putting them back together" side, and not even the gory part. I work in a medical library. I help train our military doctors, nurses, and dentists. I'm mostly just around college students all day. Goriest thing I typically see is flipping through the dermatology books.

(If you're even little bit squeamish, DO NOT thumb through a dermatology textbook; trust me. I tell this to all new employees their first day before they make that mistake themselves.)
Old 10-11-2019, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

DCinDC - You KNOW that's going to drive them straight to those books!

StG
Old 10-11-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

I'm a cashier in a discount store. While it's not a "happy" job, it is satisfying. Most of the customers are very nice, and I've had some good interactions with some.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:25 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with what I do. I'm semi-retired, so I spend half my time doing nothing at all. I still, however, do consulting, teaching, and video forensics work on an hourly/daily basis for various clients. So...

50% Nothing at all.
20% Telling people what they should do, with no penalty if I'm wrong.
20% Passing on what I know and seeing (some) students actually get it.
10% Sitting on my couch playing with videos on my laptop (which, incidentally, pays the most).

I have nothing to complain about.