Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-09-2019, 11:04 PM
DummyGladHands is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,133

Did morons build my house?? Busted water heater in tiny utility room in the hall


The heat pump is in there too, I think is the word, not the compressor for the A/C but the rest. I will not, I don't think, get the water heater out to install a new one without tearing up the door jamb and part of the drywall. Morons, I tell you.

Any ideas??
  #2  
Old 10-09-2019, 11:19 PM
beowulff's Avatar
beowulff is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Scottsdale, more-or-less
Posts: 16,819
It's not the first time I've heard of that.
Yeah, pry the door frame off (gently) and try to salvage it.
  #3  
Old 10-09-2019, 11:29 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,435
The first phrase that comes to mind is "well, they got it in there somehow..."

Realize that you can bust it up, to some degree, to get it out. You can move the heat pump or whatever temporarily to make room. Maybe just taking the door off the hinges can make enough room. If you hire someone decent, I can guarantee they've seen this before.
  #4  
Old 10-10-2019, 12:49 AM
nate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 929
I don't understand it, but it happens. The house I bought had a water heater in the attic with no way to get it out if it failed. And of course it failed and ruined the laundry room ceiling. So not only did I have to repair the damage and get a new water heater, I had to find somewhere else in the house to put it and plumb the hot water pipes to it. And, being who I am, it also grated on my nerves that this useless piece of junk was in my attic and I had no way of removing it.

Eventually, I made some built-in cabinets for a bonus room above the garage. The bonus room was on the same plane as the attic, so when I made a huge cavity in the kneewalls, I was able to finagle the dormant water heater out and carry it out to the curb for trash pickup. It was raining that night. Once I got it out there, I threw my arms up in the arm under the streetlight and felt like Tim Robbins in Shawshank Redemption after he emerged from the sewer.

Anyway, good luck.

Last edited by nate; 10-10-2019 at 12:50 AM.
  #5  
Old 10-10-2019, 03:48 AM
Dereknocue67 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,199
Often, homes constructed today, like many vehicles, are made to be functional when new but not easily repaired. After it's purchased and the warranty runs out, then it's the owner's problem.

It is not unusual for water heaters and/or HVAC air handling units to be installed after the house is weather tight but before sheet rock or finished millwork is installed and apparently your builder failed to consider future maintenance/replacements. The only advice I can offer is that whatever tear out and repair you complete, make some alterations to accommodate for future repair.
  #6  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:31 AM
aceplace57 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 26,302
Water heaters today have more insulation and they're bigger. All thanks to gov legislation.

That means you can't just swap out a old one and hook up new. The connections won't line up. It took my plumber a couple hours to redo the pipe connections and get it installed.

I was lucky that it fit. Some people with small closets can't fit these bigger hot water heaters.

This happened in 2015.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...ll-affect/amp/

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-10-2019 at 05:32 AM.
  #7  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:54 AM
jonesj2205 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
And, being who I am, it also grated on my nerves that this useless piece of junk was in my attic and I had no way of removing it.

Eventually, I made some built-in cabinets for a bonus room above the garage. The bonus room was on the same plane as the attic, so when I made a huge cavity in the kneewalls, I was able to finagle the dormant water heater out and carry it out to the curb for trash pickup. It was raining that night. Once I got it out there, I threw my arms up in the arm under the streetlight and felt like Tim Robbins in Shawshank Redemption after he emerged from the sewer.
This 100% would have been me.
  #8  
Old 10-10-2019, 09:37 AM
naita is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 6,642
Our A/C system has been installed so the refrigerant pipes make it impossible to slide a rigid filter into place in front of the fan unit.

The solution when I moved in used a loose mat clipped to a semi rigid plastic mesh, but I found it impossible to insert and place so it wasn't just pulled out of place by the air.

Taped some cardboard over the slot and rely on the filter on the air intake instead.

My point being contractors will do very dumb things because they're not going to be living there or have any responsibility by the time people actually notice how bad their solutions are.
  #9  
Old 10-10-2019, 09:49 AM
KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 26,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
The house I bought had a water heater in the attic
Our architect had that planned for the addition we're getting ready to build. It was the very first thing we changed.
  #10  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:15 PM
Dag Otto is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Cruces
Posts: 5,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Our architect had that planned for the addition we're getting ready to build. It was the very first thing we changed.
The location of the water heater or the architect? Cause I would be replacing the architect. That's probably just a sample of his ass-hattery, why wait for more?
  #11  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,849
Consider switching to a tankless water heater. It takes up a lot less room. As far as getting the old one out, you can always go medieval on it and saw it up.
  #12  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:29 PM
peccavi's Avatar
peccavi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South Bay, SoCal
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
As far as getting the old one out, you can always go medieval on it and saw it up.
Ore you could try this method (Mythbusters)
  #13  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 29,215
At my work we have a very, very small bathroom. The water heater is in the bathroom. When we redid the bathroom and enclosed the (new) water heater we knew the opening was too small to get it out. But we're the 'cross that bridge when we come to it' type. Plus, multiple people there that can handle dismantling a little bit of structure to get it out.
My suggestion (even though, or maybe because I'm one of those handymen) is that when it eventually dies we just leave it there and stick a tankless one in there with it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
Our A/C system has been installed so the refrigerant pipes make it impossible to slide a rigid filter into place in front of the fan unit.

The solution when I moved in used a loose mat clipped to a semi rigid plastic mesh, but I found it impossible to insert and place so it wasn't just pulled out of place by the air.

Taped some cardboard over the slot and rely on the filter on the air intake instead.

My point being contractors will do very dumb things because they're not going to be living there or have any responsibility by the time people actually notice how bad their solutions are.
You have a solution so this is moot, but if it was me...If it's one of those little one inch wide filters that the installers fabricated a slot next to the furnace for, I'd cut a hole in the other side or the top and close up the original one. If there's actually filter in the box, like this (the white box in the middle where the filter goes is a separate piece, added on during the install), you could take it off and flip it around so the filter comes out the back or replace it with one there it comes out of the side.
I'm sure there's another 'proper' way to do it, but the why my furnace is set up (filter out the back, incidentally), that's what I would do.
Of course, yours might not have the space to do it.

ETA, if you ever have any work done on the AC that involves evacuating the refrigerant, that would be the time to ask them to reroute the lineset and get them out of the way.

Last edited by Joey P; 10-10-2019 at 06:49 PM.
  #14  
Old 10-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Projammer's Avatar
Projammer is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 6,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Otto View Post
The location of the water heater or the architect? Cause I would be replacing the architect. That's probably just a sample of his ass-hattery, why wait for more?
Putting a water heater in the attic isn't a bad plan if it's implemented properly. i.e. knowing it will eventually have to be removed and replaced. Mount it in a properly plumbed drain pan in case the eventual failure is a leak.

It's zero to low maintenance for the first umpteen years generally.
It produces almost no load for the air conditioner being outside of the insulated area.
It's not taking up living or closet space.
  #15  
Old 10-10-2019, 09:23 PM
Horatius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Consider switching to a tankless water heater. It takes up a lot less room. As far as getting the old one out, you can always go medieval on it and saw it up.


This was the solution my dad and I came up with to remove the water heater in my house when it failed a year or so after I moved in.

When I came home to find flooding in the basement, and the sound of continuously running water, I actually had to follow the water lines to find the tank. There's a full bathroom in the basement, and the tank was built into a cavity between the bathtub and the exterior wall. We spent an evening going at it with a power saw to cut away the exterior casing and insulation, and the inner tank was just small enough to squeeze out through the opening. At least they left the wall panel unattached, so we just had to pop it out.

I paid quite a lot to completely re-position the new tank, and when it failed this year, replacement was far easier.
  #16  
Old 10-11-2019, 08:07 AM
naita is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 6,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
You have a solution so this is moot, but if it was me...If it's one of those little one inch wide filters that the installers fabricated a slot next to the furnace for, I'd cut a hole in the other side or the top and close up the original one.
It's a cramped utility closet with the whole fan-heatpump system flush to the back wall, flush to the ceiling, with the supports underneath preventing any other access. And it's only the incoming pipes that are in the way. The outgoing pipes are nicely straight with ninety degree bends sending them along supports, walls and floors. The incoming pipes hang in lazy arch over the top of the water heater.

Last edited by naita; 10-11-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017