Old 10-10-2019, 09:03 AM

Is it more environmentally friendly to pee in the sink?

If you pee in the toilet, you gotta flush, or else it stinks (smelly pee sitting in a bowl). That "wastes" gallons of water, when/if you flush. (Water is everywhere, so is it really " a waste"?) But if you pee in the sink, you don't need to flush. Maybe spigot "a spritzer" to wash it down, saving water. So, thus: is it more environmentally friendly to pee in the sink
Old 10-10-2019, 09:13 AM

Yes.
Hence, waterless urinal.
And, there is no reason to put waste in quotes. Water may be everywhere, but clean, drinkable water isn’t, and is an increasingly valuable resource.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:17 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
Yes.
Hence, waterless urinal.
And, there is no reason to put waste in quotes. Water may be everywhere, but clean, drinkable water isnít, and is an increasingly valuable resource.
We have those at many of our buildings in the state. They have signs over them saying 40,000 gallons of fresh water saved a year, and it's easy to believe that they save quite a bit. Not sure why, especially here in the south west, everyone doesn't go to these things. There must be a reason, but I'm not seeing it. It saves water AND must save money too, so why not adopt them or put them in when the old ones go bad?

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Huh. I've been in mensrooms where someone was peeing in the sink. I never realized they were environmental warriors.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:57 AM

Keep in mind that if you pee in the sink, urine mist will be deposited all around the sink area. It's one thing to discuss this from a theoretical standpoint, but in practice it would end up with urine in lots of places that people typically wouldn't want it.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
We have those at many of our buildings in the state. They have signs over them saying 40,000 gallons of fresh water saved a year, and it's easy to believe that they save quite a bit. Not sure why, especially here in the south west, everyone doesn't go to these things. There must be a reason, but I'm not seeing it. It saves water AND must save money too, so why not adopt them or put them in when the old ones go bad?
In my experience they clog up more easily. Or at least, in places that have them I often see one or more of the urinals full of pee. I think they are more sensitive to what goes down them than traditional urinals, if you get my drift.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Huh. I've been in mensrooms where someone was peeing in the sink. I never realized they were environmental warriors.
Sounds so much better than "line jumper" at halftime of an NFL game; I'll need to remember that.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peebles View Post
That "wastes" gallons of water, when/if you flush. (Water is everywhere, so is it really " a waste"?)
In some places the water is coming out of wells that are depleting the aquifer (see Ogallala Aquifer for example; most of the usage is agricultural, but toilet-flushing doesn't help).

In any municipal water supply, the water has been processed and treated to ensure it's potable, and then distributed through a piping network. Any increase in demand increases the required capacity of that system, and therefore adds cost. If the usage is deemed necessary (e.g. to keep people from peeing in the sink), then it's not really a waste. But if there's a way to accomplish the same task (i.e. human waste removal) using less water than the old way, then yes, the old way can be deemed wasteful.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:12 AM

One of the office buildings near us had the waterless urinals. They eventually took them all out, not sure why. However, one thing I heard from a plumber was that urine crystals can eventually build up and clog a drain (often a problem for those old washrooms where the urinal flusher failed and the stuff never fully flushed). Proper flushing prevents this - no standing water, so to speak. So the most environmentally sensible system is the sensor-based flush systems.

How many remember the regularly timed flushes in the good old days - happened right on schedule, even if you were standing there - and probably went on all night long when nobody was using them? Plus flush on demand reduces the amount of time urine sits in the drain before it is flushed.

Last edited by md2000; 10-10-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:22 AM

How can a waterless urinal NOT smell?
Old 10-10-2019, 10:32 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
They don't have a nose, as far as I know...

Old 10-10-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
A patented vertical eco trap, of course!
Old 10-10-2019, 10:40 AM

The bathtub is a lot easier. Fill a pitcher with water while your shower is warming up and use that for flushing. Every few days add a little bleach to the pitcher of water.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:57 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
In my experience they clog up more easily. Or at least, in places that have them I often see one or more of the urinals full of pee. I think they are more sensitive to what goes down them than traditional urinals, if you get my drift.
Well, I know of one building that's had them over 10 years. Now, I don't go to that building that often, but I've never seen them clogged. Also, there isn't really any smell...well, none worse than any other male bathroom I've been in.

I can see them getting clogged more easily though, sure. I don't think people in these buildings are going to toss other, um, things in them, but if they did they would certainly clog (there is a screen thing that seems hydrophobic...when you pee it doesn't stick to the bottom or sides but definitely goes down the drain, but if you put other things in there it would certainly clog that screen).

Still, seems like a great way to save water, and I've noticed a lot of other buildings in the same organization going that way and replacing even the automated flush style ones with these kind.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrb View Post
The bathtub is a lot easier. Fill a pitcher with water while your shower is warming up and use that for flushing. Every few days add a little bleach to the pitcher of water.
Be sure you've finished your bath first.

The waterless urinals I saw had a sort of pop-up cover on the drain; it seemed to pop up enough to drain the stream so to speak; then popped backdown. The things still smelled but not as bad as you'd think.

Last edited by md2000; 10-10-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrb View Post
Brillant!
Old 10-10-2019, 11:24 AM

I was kinda desperate once, while on a volunteer thing. Female restroom was locked up for some reason, so me and friend planned for me to go into an empty Male restroom, and her guard the door. As I had no choice I went in. Oh, my freakin' kidney pain, those waterless urinals smelled so gross. I passed about 20 in a row to get to the stall. It was as gross as well. I'll pee my pants next time. Mens, y'all be nasty.
ETA, the floor was also sticky, why was that?

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-10-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:33 AM

Some modern toilets have two half-buttons that you press for flushing. One has a single drop design on it while the other will have two/multiple water drop design in the metal. Pressing the single drop gives you a reduced water flow flush & is adequate for urine while you use the "two for two".
Old 10-10-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
You don't wanna know. Men's rooms are disgusting filthy places whether or not the urinals flush. And unless they flush automatically they usually aren't getting flushed anyway.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
I was kinda desperate once, while on a volunteer thing. Female restroom was locked up for some reason, so me and friend planned for me to go into an empty Male restroom, and her guard the door. As I had no choice I went in. Oh, my freakin' kidney pain, those waterless urinals smelled so gross. I passed about 20 in a row to get to the stall. It was as gross as well. I'll pee my pants next time. Mens, y'all be nasty.
You probably didn't notice or look, but my guess is it wasn't the waterless urinals that smelled bad, but what was under them. There are always...and I do mean always...puddles UNDER the urinals. And this goes for the water kind or the waterless. It's why you need to have cleaning staffs going in constantly.

And that answers your question about the sticky floor. Public men's rooms are disgusting. Even the best ones in the cleanest buildings.

Last edited by XT; 10-10-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
Keep in mind that if you pee in the sink, urine mist will be deposited all around the sink area. It's one thing to discuss this from a theoretical standpoint, but in practice it would end up with urine in lots of places that people typically wouldn't want it.
Band name!

"Urine Mist is playing at the pub this weekend!"
Old 10-10-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
If you pee in the toilet, you gotta flush, or else it stinks (smelly pee sitting in a bowl). That "wastes" gallons of water, when/if you flush.
Standard flush toilets, many years ago, used to use as much as five gallons per flush. Modern ones use a whole lot less. As Spiderman says, some even have an option to use very little water if there's only urine in the bowl.

Quote:
(Water is everywhere, so is it really " a waste"?)
Potable water isn't everywhere, especially not in the quantities humans use it in.

When I use water, I'm moving it over generally about 300 feet for household use-- somewhat more or less if I'm irrigating, but no more than about 3000 feet at most. But that's because I've got an individual house well and septic system; and that well and the irrigation pond are drawing not on a deep aquifer but on the depth of soil that's recharged annually in this area by rainfall. Most people are using water that's moved a significant distance, often out of its original watershed entirely and/or out of deep aquifers that don't recharge anywhere near as fast as they're being drawn down.

And most of the water on the planet isn't potable or even usable for crops, at least without significant and often expensive treatment.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
...ETA, the floor was also sticky, why was that?

Diabetics with elevated blood sugar (one possible explanation)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-10-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
You don't wanna know. Men's rooms are disgusting filthy places whether or not the urinals flush. And unless they flush automatically they usually aren't getting flushed anyway.
Men’s rooms tend to be messier, but women’s restrooms are filthier.
https://www.medicaldaily.com/are-wom...d-hands-412754
As someone that has held jobs in the past that included cleaning public restrooms, I can say that this is absolutely true. Women’s rooms were always what I dreaded to clean. Picking up paper towels on the floor is easy. But the women’s room was what had me fighting my gag reflex on a regular basis.

Women just spend more time in the restroom and do more. They can’t walk in, pee, and leave without sitting down. (Not easily at least.) Men aren’t dealing with menstrual issues. Men are less likely to change a baby in a restroom (though they do on occasion, I’ve done so myself many times). And the superior personal grooming habits of women (washing hands, fixing hair) means counters and sinks are dirtier.

Last edited by Atamasama; 10-10-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
https://www.enviro-master.info/post/...n-the-restroom

https://www.quora.com/Are-mens-or-wo...ly-dirtier-Why

https://maxliving.com/healthy-articl...mens-bathrooms

That's probably enough
Old 10-10-2019, 12:52 PM

Pissin' in the wind

Blowin' on all our friends

Makin' the same mistakes we swear we'll never make again

We're gonna sit and grin and tell our grandchildren

That the answer my friend is pissin' in the wind, the answer is pissin' in the sink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZDBXm11WXY
Old 10-10-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Water is everywhere, so is it really " a waste"?
In the Northeast US, water is abundant, if not overabundant. The real shortage is often sewer capacity.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
it depends on where the bathroom is maybe, I janitored for about six months one time at a small electronics factory whilst looking for a better job. The men's bathrooms always had paper towels all over the damn place, the women's bathrooms always had drips on the floor in front of the toilets and I always had a look on my face that was a cross between and and when cleaning them. Womens is the gross ones not men.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Standard flush toilets, many years ago, used to use as much as five gallons per flush. Modern ones use a whole lot less.
Back in the late 80s, there was a US law passed requiring toilets to use no more than 1.6 gallons/flush. Before that, the typical toilet tank had 3.2 gallons, and, as you say, some even more. The smaller sized tanks got a bad rep at first, because toilet makers just replaced the tanks without any other changes and they didn't always flush everything away. Eventually they redesigned the bowls so that the smaller amount of water would adequately flush stuff.

I expect this smaller tank size propagated to other countries, even if it wasn't mandated, so it's saved a lot of fresh water over the years.

Quote:
As Spiderman says, some even have an option to use very little water if there's only urine in the bowl.
I think the two-button flush toilets originated in Australia. At least they use them a lot there and also in NZ, perhaps they're even required by law. Those were around before the smaller tanks were mandated in the US.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkVader View Post
Womens is the gross ones not men.
When I worked at a grocery store in college and sometimes had to clean the bathrooms, this was my experience as well. Often in the women's room I would find drips of pee all over the seat. Back then I didn't know that some women "hover" over public toilets, so I was very confused as to how women were peeing all over the toilet seat.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Menís rooms tend to be messier, but womenís restrooms are filthier.
As someone that has held jobs in the past that included cleaning public restrooms, I can say that this is absolutely true. Womenís rooms were always what I dreaded to clean. Picking up paper towels on the floor is easy. But the womenís room was what had me fighting my gag reflex on a regular basis.
That's not the sense of "dirtier" that the article you linked to used - they were using dirty only to mean the amount of bacteria on surfaces, saying
Quote:
This was a surprise to the researchers as men had messier restrooms, and left behind more paper towels and worse smells. The study authors believe itís due to the fact that women typically bring germ-laden children with them inside the restroom. Womenís restrooms also receive more traffic than menís.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
it depends on where the bathroom is maybe, I janitored for about six months one time at a small electronics factory whilst looking for a better job. The men's bathrooms always had paper towels all over the damn place, the women's bathrooms always had drips on the floor in front of the toilets and I always had a look on my face that was a cross between and and when cleaning them. Womens is the gross ones not men.
You so funny
Old 10-10-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You so funny
It's been a few years, but I've had multiple jobs in multiple cities where cleaning restrooms was part of my job. That includes movie theaters, restaurants, department stores, etc. Without exception, the women's rooms were more disgusting than the men's. And everyone I've ever known, male or female, who has had similar jobs has told me the same thing. Without exception.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:10 PM

Yeah? That sticky floor tells me something different. I agree woman's restrooms have thier own brand of nastiness.
My germaphobia is not alleviated by these facts.
Ewwwww just Ewwwww!
Old 10-10-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
If you pee in the toilet, you gotta flush, or else it stinks (smelly pee sitting in a bowl).
Am I really the first person to challenge this assumption? Does the phrase "let the yellow mellow" mean nothing to you all (with great respect)?

At this point, I must disclose some... not embarrassing, but relevant medical information. My sense of smell is basically nonexistent. It’s a terrible, debilitating condition (), and as a consequence I honestly don’t know if urine in the bowl leaves a lingering odor that will fill the room. Has anyone ever experimented with that, preferably in a controlled study? Even if the answer is that yes in fact it does stink up the room, is that still a better choice than putting one's... "fireman" on the counter to piss into a sink?

Subjectively, I’d say no to the last question, but then, well, nose-blind, so...

Last edited by ASL v2.0; 10-10-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
That's not the sense of "dirtier" that the article you linked to used - they were using dirty only to mean the amount of bacteria on surfaces
Thatís exactly what I posted. I even differentiated menís rooms being ďmessyĒ with womenís rooms being ďfilthyĒ. Men tend to be careless and leave trash scattered around, which as I said wasnít a big deal; you pick it up and throw it away.

Women who were conscientious, throwing away their paper towels, not leaving unused toilet paper scraps on the floor, and (I assume) spending time washing their hands and doing hair, makeup, and so on. But that extra time left the room filthy. It usually smelled much worse, and I never saw that sort of biological mess (of all sorts) in the menís room. Iím not going into details but it was really gross.

Sorry about the hijack but I wanted to dispel a myth about public restrooms (both from personal experience and from a documented study).
Old 10-10-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL v2.0 View Post
Am I really the first person to challenge this assumption? Does the phrase "let the yellow mellow" mean nothing to you all (with great respect)?

At this point, I must disclose some... not embarrassing, but relevant medical information. My sense of smell is basically nonexistent. It’s a terrible, debilitating condition (), and as a consequence I honestly don’t know if urine in the bowl leaves a lingering odor that will fill the room. Has anyone ever experimented with that, preferably in a controlled study? Even if the answer is that yes in fact it does stink up the room, is that still a better choice than putting one's... "fireman" on the counter to piss into a sink?

Subjectively, I’d say no to the last question, but then, well, nose-blind, so...
Yes, pee in a toilet stinks up the joint. I mostly assoiate this with Mr.Wrekker as I don't usually go into men's public restrooms (except that one time). Mr.Wrekker does flush, but like most men occasionally errant pee gets on the floor or seat of the toilet. If he's had a busy/late night of poker and the drinking of adult beverages he's less than fastidious in his aim. Let me tell you a man of his age, diet and habits the pee is rank. And jeebus he can pee copiously on those nights.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-10-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, pee in a toilet stinks up the joint.
Hmmm... Well, in the absence of an actual study, I suppose I’ll take your word for it. As the saying goes, in the land of the nose-blind, the one-nostriled man is... probably losing his mind. Seriously, can you imagine how awful the stench hanging over such a land must be, all the refuse allowed to pile up just out of sight because no one is around to smell it? I mean, I can’t, but you... Well, needless to say I pity the man (or woman) who is cursed with the fifth, most wicked sense of smell.

Last edited by ASL v2.0; 10-10-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Fresh urine doesn't have much smell. And in a typical household, you're probably going to have an "if it's brown" before too long, so letting the yellow mellow won't be too much of a problem. But as urine ages, it does indeed start to stink, and even if you don't have need to flush solid waste, you'll still want to flush a toilet full of urine eventually.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Fresh urine doesn't have much smell. And in a typical household, you're probably going to have an "if it's brown" before too long, so letting the yellow mellow won't be too much of a problem. But as urine ages, it does indeed start to stink
Anecdote not study, but agreeing with Chronos. The downside of using water sources replenished annually by rain is that, yes even in the wet Northeast, there's an occasional year when there isn't enough rain to do so. In such dry years I've had some experience with 'if it's yellow let it mellow'; and even with the lid shut the stink will eventually build up in the bathroom, especially if there aren't a lot of people in the house. -- presuming that at least some of the people are female, however, it's necessary to flush occasionally to deal with toilet paper.

Quote:
needless to say I pity the man (or woman) who is cursed with the fifth, most wicked sense of smell.
We more than make up for it. Not only is smell a very useful alarm system for a lot of different things that can go wrong; but most of the flavor of food is in the sense of smell. Ask any normally-nosed person about the difference when they've got a bad cold, and find everything nearly tasteless because the nose is stopped up.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:31 AM

I've been cleaning things most of my life. I'm kinda anal about it. I know, I know. Life's too short to sit around organizing junk drawers and straightening out closets and pantries. It's my hobby. I know it's sad. Don't cry for me, coz dusting makes me happy.
So bathroom cleanliness speaks right to my heart. Not to mention my germ issues. I love, love trying new bathroom cleaning substances. I fall back on bleach, though. My go to. I buy bleach every week. Drives people insane. But, dang it, my bathrooms are so clean you can eat you dinner in there.
You won't be smellin' pee in my toilets not as long as I'm able to get to 'em. Ain't no yellow gonna mellow. That's why that little handle is there, use it!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-11-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:00 AM

We have flushless urinals in our office. They have to be cleaned at least a few times a day, which I suspect negates much of the water savings. They do tend to get clogged up.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:39 AM

If you consider "environmentally friendly" to include all forces external to you (including your spouse), I'd say, "No."
Old 10-12-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
I had to clean drains from urinals with water flowing through them. The salt builds up can close off a 1 1/2" drain. It is real nasty to try and clean them out (hate urinals). I would hate t work in a building that waterless urinals had been added. I bet they are not cleaning out the drain lines but having to replace them. I may be wrong but I can only imanage.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:29 AM

What about normal urinals? Don't they use a lot less water, and thus still save water vs. a toilet?

I've actually only seen those waterless urinals (which were also at or below the the floor) in older, dingier places. I assumed they were an old practice not used anymore. Then again, I live in an area that always has plenty of water available.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
Probably not.

But your sink drain isnt designed for urine. The ones on a waterless urinal are.

Better to urinate in the toilet and not flush.

Or in your backyard, keep the mtn lions out, so they say.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Menís rooms tend to be messier, but womenís restrooms are filthier.

As someone that has held jobs in the past that included cleaning public restrooms, I can say that this is absolutely true. Womenís rooms were always what I dreaded to clean. Picking up paper towels on the floor is easy. But the womenís room was what had me fighting my gag reflex on a regular basis.....
Yes, and you have hover-ers and those that MUST flush their napkins/tampons, which causes a nasty plug.

Women are better in their own bathroom , but in a public restroom, the womans is always nastier.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Fresh urine doesn't have much smell. And in a typical household, you're probably going to have an "if it's brown" before too long, so letting the yellow mellow won't be too much of a problem. But as urine ages, it does indeed start to stink, and even if you don't have need to flush solid waste, you'll still want to flush a toilet full of urine eventually.
Yes. it certainly cant stand overnite or anything. So, when you defecate of course you will flush, and maybe flush urine once in a while. But that still saves several flushes a day.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
In the Northeast US, water is abundant, if not overabundant. The real shortage is often sewer capacity.
Pumping water and cleaning it does use energy, so even if lots of water, there is a cost.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Or in your backyard, keep the mtn lions out, so they say.
Yeah, living in the country, if I'm outside doing something I never go inside to pee. Never seen a lion, mountain or otherwise.