Old 11-05-2014, 03:09 PM

I recently watched "It," a silent film starring Clara Bow. This is the film that dubbed her "The 'It' Girl." It's a Cinderella-like story about a girl who's a clerk in a department store, who's attracted to her rich and handsome boss. And although the feeling's mutual, their relationship is not a smooth one. In it, Ms. Bow demonstrates what a versatile actress she was, and how she personified "It" . . . a combination of animal magnetism, irresistible attractiveness and humor. A totally enjoyable film . . . and unlike many silents, always kept my attention throughout.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Dear White People

Because this movie really digs into ideas about race and racial identity, it's a very welcome change from what's usually out there. It's not so much about how blacks have to deal with white prejudice and attitudes, although that's present, but it's much more about how blacks have to deal with assimilation and the complicated navigation of white and black expectations of themselves and each other. So from the standpoint of being quite novel and provocative, it's wonderful. It should lead to some great conversation.
But I want to say that the plot, the dialogue, the acting, and the direction are pathetic and amateurish. None of the reviews I've looked at are willing to acknowledge these flaws, and while they don't totally undermine the value of the film, they certainly did detract from it for me. I hope a lot of people see it, although I'm sure it won't get a wide audience. But it's a worth see just for the sake of seeing a movie with such important and significant underlying issues.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Mrs. FtG read This Is Where I Leave You last week and liked it a lot, so the film based on it became our MotW.
[snip]
I wasn't expecting much since it's only 43% at Rotten Tomatoes (33% top critics) and I think that's a fair ranking.
Saw this recently as part of a work team event. Our department hired out a small (luxury) cinema, had a department meeting, with PowerPoints on the big screen, and then watched this movie.

I rather enjoyed the meeting.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:41 PM

"Gone Girl", good movie in my view and would recommend it to fellow Dopers, Rosamund Pike is a fantastic actress and very attractive, she should get more roles.

I would have liked the ending to be different, but 10/10 for me.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:06 AM

A second recommendation for The World's End, A Band Called Death and Blue Ruin. I thought they were all very worthy of anyone's time.

Lately I've watched The One I Love, Child of God, Calvary, Only Lovers Left Alive, God's Pocket, The Rover, and Marina Abramovic: The Artist Is Present. They're not to everyone's taste but I would say they're all good productions.

They're, pretty much, quite unusual films that didn't do all that well at the Box Office. Most also have some narrative behind them, something to ponder on and read about.

Also, if you haven't watched the series Fargo (I thought everyone had but it seems not) I highly recommend having a binge on that, particular, odd-fest.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
But I want to say that the plot, the dialogue, the acting, and the direction are pathetic and amateurish. None of the reviews I've looked at are willing to acknowledge these flaws, and while they don't totally undermine the value of the film, they certainly did detract from it for me. I hope a lot of people see it, although I'm sure it won't get a wide audience. But it's a worth see just for the sake of seeing a movie with such important and significant underlying issues.
I'm not sure I would say these elements were ''pathetic'' but I agree that the underlying mechanism driving the movie was kind of at a level above the more superficial elements of it. What is special about the film isn't its presentation but rather the ideas it grapples with.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:34 AM

About Time http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2194499/

Gorgeous movie. Not too famous but I really think this movie deserves much more audience. I was fooled into watching this because the description said "Science Fiction". Well, yes, there is time travel, but...

I don't want to spoil the story because I am grateful to have watched it without knowing what it was about. I'll just say that at one point I cried my eyes out, but it is not a tragic movie. It deals with love, death, relationships and familly. Time travel is a mere excuse.

It's not pretentious and it is perfectly narrated and acted.

Give it a chance!
Old 11-07-2014, 01:08 PM

Pride. British movie that came out this year. Based on the factual story of a group of London based gay and lesbian people raising money for the miners strike in '84 and '85, and the miners union being unwilling to accept it.
Everyone I know who has seen it said great things about it.
For me, it was a painful visit to events and themes of my early adulthood. I cried from the opening scene until I got home. And intermittently for three days afterwards.
It's hardly verite, but way too close to my own history for me to be objective.
It stars Imenda Staunton, Bill Nighy and Dominic 'McNulty' West.

MiM
Old 11-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

I saw Fury last weekend. A good solid war movie that I'd recommend. It was a very brutal film but that was its point - it was about how war brutalizes people.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:14 AM

Our MotW: Lucky Them with Toni Collette. She's a semi-washed up writer for a Seattle music magazine (headed up by the ever-present Oliver Platt) who is assigned to find out what happened to ex-rocker idol/boyfriend who disappeared 10 years earlier. Her personal issues, mainly having a thing for musicians, keep getting in the way.

Along the way, she encounters Thomas Haden Church as a rich, clueless doofus. Seemingly the blandest secondary character you'll ever see, but Church pulls off a really good non-transformation transformation. While still staying clueless, etc., for the most part, he really adds a major reflecting board to the movie.

Really funny at times. I started wishing that the whole movie had the same level of humor, but that's not the main mood of the movie. Some darker stuff is required. I mean, she has seahorses named Kurt and Courtney and one of them dies. Very grim, right?

Note to filmmakers: Yes, you can pull off a really "Wow, I can't believe ..." thing. But then the audience is taken out of the movie and isn't paying attention so much anymore. Cool, sure. But very distracting.

Still a pretty good film. Well made, edited, etc. Very good acting. Plus lots of shots of Seattle and environs. (But doesn't explain why NYFilm keeps getting involved in things set in the PNW.)

This week's amazingly small use of an Oscar winner had Joanne Woodward doing a small voice thing. She was also a producer and the project is a Paul Newman foundation related thing.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:43 PM

So what do you all mean when you say "MOTW"? That means Monster of the Week and has since the X-Files started in the early 90s...but you're using it a different way. At least I hope so.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
I saw St vincent. If you are a Bill Murray fan, run, dont walk to see it.

It's one of those "grouchy old men" films, kinda like Gran Torino. Its also very interesting to contrast & compare, since Clint turned his film into a bit of a action film, whereas St Vincent is more realistic.
Saw this last week, loved it. One of the big revelations for me in it was that holy shit, Melissa McCarthy can act! Who knew? I wouldn't have made a comparison to Gran Torino myself, the two films share a little bit thematically but have very different approaches.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
So what do you all mean when you say "MOTW"? That means Monster of the Week and has since the X-Files started in the early 90s...but you're using it a different way. At least I hope so.
I think it's movie of the week.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:36 PM

Saw a Skinamax film called "Sinful Temptations" recently. I was bowled over by the cinematography. Some of the sex scenes you could make stills of and they could pass for classical paintings (if you picked the still carefully). There's the usual subpar plot, direction and acting, but damn, it's a WAY above other Skinamax films in terms of its look. I'm sure there's a story in there somewhere.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:16 AM

Thought I had done this one:

A week+ ago we saw St. Vincent. The best movie we've seen in a while. Highly recommend it. Unrealistic as can be, of course. But no one wants to see a realistic movie, right? "Joe got up, went to the can, ate eggs for breakfast, got dressed, drove into work, ..." Reality is boring.

Murray gives a really good performance. Almost at the level of Lost in Translation.

McCarthy actually shows she can act. If only she did stuff like this instead of Tammy, The Heat, Identity Thief, etc.

Then for at-home MotW Saturday we watched A Most Wanted Man. German counter-terrorism folks vs. possibly terrorist supporting Muslims.

Weird to see Americans (and a Canadian) doing German accents in a present day movie. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Willem Dafoe and Rachel McAdams. Also Robin Wright, but she's playing an American.

Over 2 hours long and it shows. Too many long drawn out shots and scenes. So much could have been pruned and made it into a better movie. Just barely an okay movie as is.

Hoffman is tired, beaten down, etc. I don't think he was acting that way all that much.

McAdams is the one to watch. This is not the girl from the Notebook or Mean Girls. She is lost in her role. Top notch performance.

Moral ambiguity is always a difficult topic.

I didn't expect the ending. Maybe I should have. I like being surprised a bit here and there in a movie. As long as it's reasonable. Having a Fist of God change something at a key point just to have the next thing happen isn't the same thing.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:24 AM
SDSAB

Just saw Citizen X, a 1995 HBO movie, starring Stephen Rea and Donald Sutherland. It's based on the true story of a clumsy Soviet police hunt for a serial killer. Rea plays a coroner who becomes a detective, and Sutherland plays his police superior who is sometimes more concered with pleasing his Communist Party bosses than furthering the investigation. Max von Sydow plays a psychologist who is drawn into the case. Pretty good movie; I'd give it a B+.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_X

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 11-25-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:09 AM

The Wife and I just watched In a World (2013) about the cut-throat voiceover business and the scramble for power after the death of Don LaFontaine.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2294677/

I enjoyed it, but The Wife categorized it as yet another dead Mom movie.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Saw Tim Burton's Batman at the Alamo Drafthouse on Sunday night - a quote-along with pop guns and other stuff. It was actually quite a lot of fun, and the movie held up pretty well... though I had to laugh at the scene where Vickie Vale was finally let into the Batcave and, finally knowing the Big Secret, turns to Bruce Wayne and says (in essence) ... "Let's talk about our relationship."

Did y'all know the guy who designed the city of Gotham for the film killed himself a couple of years after its release?

Also saw Giant. Tried to be the GWTW of Texas, might have succeeded in the mid-1950s, but not so much today. However, I still enjoyed it and found it to be, at times, surprisingly touching.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:27 AM

Watched "Under the Skin" on Amazon video for free today while doing some work on my wife's computer. God, it sucked. I mean, suuuuucked. Not even naked Scarlett Johansen could make up for how bad this movie was. She would have had to do CONSIDERABLY more than nudity to make up for it, like

SPOILER:
an extended, well lit scene of hardcore lesbian double dildo bondage with Jessica Alba squirming on the other end of the dildo
and that probably wouldn't have done the trick, either. It's like the director was trying to come up with a way to punish audience members for wanting to see Johansen naked. A lot of the movie was shot in lighting so dim you could barely make out what was going on. The characters spend a lot of time staring at one another in silence. Well, I guess that's European art films for ya. When they go bad, they go WAAAAAAAAAAYYY bad. "Manos Hand of Fate" bad. (Actually, "Manos" was not nearly as dull as "Under the Skin."

Do NOT pay money to watch this film, ever. Do not sit and watch it with your full attention if you get to see it for free. In the first case, you will be financially impoverished. In the second, mentally impoverished.

When I finished what I was doing I quit the movie. Might have had a great second half, but I don't know, don't care. Geesh.

Last edited by Evil Captor; 11-26-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Interstallar - some interesting ideas, and truly excellent visuals and F/X, great performances but a muddled and emotionally manipulative plot and cop-out of a climax.

Big Hero 6 - a teenage superhero team origin story that rises above it's own clichés to be quite enjoyable. The robot hero is adorable.

The Judge - another excellent performance by Robert Duvall and a fairly restrained Robert Downey Jr. make this an excellent Father/Son drama with a bit of courtroom suspense thrown in.

Gone Girl - Amazing performance by Rosamund Pike who may or may not have been murdered by her husband Ben Affleck. The film does a great job of condensing the movie into an acceptable mystery/thriller but suffers from the poor plot resolution of the original source.

Guardians of the Galazy - this was available streaming so I watched it after having seen it twice in the theater this past summer. A step above the average superhero-team movie where the main characters are given a certain amount of depth and interesting relationships while they chase their McGuffin and face the (fairly pedestrian) Bad Guy.

Thinking about it, I wish Duvall was getting more recognition for The Judge (outside this thread, anyway).
Old 11-29-2014, 06:17 AM

I also had the misfortune to watch "Under the Skin" recently, what a dull piece of 'art'.

I also watched "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" and was unimpressed.

"Chocolate Strawberry Vanilla" was instantly forgettable.

"Frailty" was, overall, not worth watching.

"Need for Speed" has nothing much going for it.

"20,000 Days on Earth" was utter garbage.

"Let's Be Cops" was infantile.

"The Two Faces of January" was mildly interesting.

"Draft Day" was better than I thought it would be, but not good.

"The Amazing Spider-Man 2" wasn't amazing at all.

"Dirty Wars" was uninspiring.

"Cloud Atlas" was excellent, but at three hours long and with many plotlines and timelines it takes a lot of concentration to see in one sitting.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:38 AM
SDSAB

JustinC, I just saw Draft Day a few days ago, too. I liked seeing all the Cleveland sights but the plot was waaaaay too farfetched (my football-crazy teenage son kept saying, "He's the worst GM ever") and the acting was occasionally cringeworthy. Overall I'd give it a C.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I saw Fury last weekend. A good solid war movie that I'd recommend. It was a very brutal film but that was its point - it was about how war brutalizes people.
We just went to see it last night. Since it was probably about to leave the theater, the one we went to had seen better days and the seats were very uncomfortable.

Shia LaBeuf (sp) reminded me of Bruno Kirby, in looks and attitude. Also that Bernthal guy from The Walking Dead was also in it, playing a jerk. Talk about being a one trick pony, this guy will never play any other kind of character!

I enjoyed the movie, seemed to be short on plot though.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclical reader View Post
About Time http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2194499/

Gorgeous movie. Not too famous but I really think this movie deserves much more audience. I was fooled into watching this because the description said "Science Fiction". Well, yes, there is time travel, but...

I don't want to spoil the story because I am grateful to have watched it without knowing what it was about. I'll just say that at one point I cried my eyes out, but it is not a tragic movie. It deals with love, death, relationships and familly. Time travel is a mere excuse.

It's not pretentious and it is perfectly narrated and acted.

Give it a chance!
I saw this in the theater b/c The Fella and I went to see a movie and we were in line to get tickets (I'd picked the movie of course), but had to run to the restroom. So he got the tickets and all he remembered was that it was a two word title. So he bought tickets to this and we went in. I thought the previews seemed odd for the movie I'd picked, but hey, figured the same company or producers, etc. Then when the movie started, I thought, "How is James Gandolfini going to end up in this movie?"

I'd wanted to see "Enough Said"

He got tickets for "About Time"

We both loved About Time and were glad we saw it!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:40 PM

God's Pocket

My parents (semi-retired/ btw Netflix and Redbox they have seen almost everything and they saw a preview for it on some other movie) had gotten this over the Thanksgiving holiday.

http://http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2920808/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I'd never heard of it at all. But I really liked it. Dark, bleak, oddly darkly funny and I could never tell where it was going to go plot wise. My mom fell asleep partway thru and woke up and saw the end and said "What happened, BrassyPhrase? Give it to me quick."

The Fella and my dad looked at me and I had to say, "Honestly, I can't. I can tell you the story, but I can't shorten it. You just have to watch it."

Last edited by BrassyPhrase; 11-29-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:54 PM

I just watched Anna starring Mark Strong.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1715336/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_9

It was pretty entertaining.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:01 AM
SDSAB

Just saw Interstellar tonight. A bit overlong, and some farfetched moments plotwise, but great acting, dazzling sfx and an engrossing story. A solid A.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Watched "Niagara" on Amazon Prime, with Joseph Cotton and Marilyn Monroe. A pretty decent noir flick, and Monroe did a credible job. I swear the woman could keep her ass twitching even when asleep.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Just saw Penguins of Madagascar. Had moments.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:28 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Just saw Penguins of Madagascar. Had moments.
Letter grade, or 1-10 score? I was thinking of seeing it. That commando-penguin squad is usually the best part of any Madagascar movie.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Letter grade, or 1-10 score? I was thinking of seeing it. That commando-penguin squad is usually the best part of any Madagascar movie.
I'd say a B+.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Last night was "Dark Passage", Bogie and Bacall.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Another film noir: "Scarlet Street", with Edward G. Robinson (in an atypically milquetoast role), Joan Bennett and Dan Duryea. A well done movie for fans of the genre.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:24 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
I'd say a B+.
Thanks! I hope to see it.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
<snip>
Guardians of the Galazy - this was available streaming so I watched it after having seen it twice in the theater this past summer. A step above the average superhero-team movie where the main characters are given a certain amount of depth and interesting relationships while they chase their McGuffin and face the (fairly pedestrian) Bad Guy.<snip>
My complaint about Guardians of the Galazy is the same one I have about a lot of movies these days - I feel like I should have a book with me while watching, so I can read for a bit while the action/chase scenes go on for about two and a half years.

We went to see John Wick this weekend. If you like action movies with lots of fight scenes, revenge movies, and/or Keanu Reeves, I would recommend this movie. If you're looking for high-brow entertainment, not so much. I give it a three out of five.

Once again, I'm going to come to Keanu Reeves' defense as an actor - he knows his limitations, and stays well within them.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:56 PM

The last two flicks I saw in a theater were Fury and Interstellar. Enjoyed them both. Fury was a straight-up war flick. Interstellar was interesting but was pointlessly long. Could have cut 30-45 minutes out of it without losing any plot.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:32 PM

Watched Maleficent a couple of days ago.
First movie I've seen starring Angelina Jolie and I guess I assumed she'd be, well, not very good. But I thought she did a great and campy job. It was a fun movie.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Watched Maleficent a couple of days ago.
First movie I've seen starring Angelina Jolie and I guess I assumed she'd be, well, not very good. But I thought she did a great and campy job. It was a fun movie.
She was great, the special effects were great. But turning the plot around so much ruined it for me.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
She was great, the special effects were great. But turning the plot around so much ruined it for me.
The plot holes and overall story line was really weak, I grant you that.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Tonight's film noir was D.O.A., starring Edmond O'Brien. The guy has been in movies since I can remember.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:29 PM

Fury Open Spoilers

Fury (2014) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2713180

Fury was rated 8.0 by IMDB. That is an extremely high rating. I can't remember the last time I disagreed with such a high rating. But, I'm afraid I just didn't enjoy Fury at all.

I can understand why many people enjoyed it as a pure violent War movie. Brad Pitt is highly skilled at producing or starring in ultra-violent movies and he was listed as one of the Exec Producers. If you recall, he also produced Inglorious Basterds - an extremely ultra-violent war film.

Inglourious Basterds (2009) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/...nm_flmg_act_15

That film was rated 8.3 and I enjoyed it very much. The reason was that IMHO, Inglourious Basterds was a "complete" story. It contained several plot elements and took us through the full story.

It seems to me that Fury
SPOILER:
contains only two real locations. The first location is the inside of a German house that Brad enters with the newcomer to his tank crew.

The second location is Brad's tank (named "Fury"). For the most part, Brad and his crew remained in Fury during the entire "fight to the death" sequence where Brad and his crew fought against approx 200 to 300 German soldiers.

The audience sees that the Germans are armed with maybe 20 to 30 weapons that were the German equivalent to the American Bazooka.

I'm guessing that most of those soldiers were SS. I'm not sure why, but I get a strong feeling the film maker wants the audience to believe most of those Nazis were SS. I'm also guessing Brad's crew was outnumbered approx 50 to 1. Doesn't it seem highly unlikely that 5 or 6 soldiers stuck inside an American tank would survive a fight to the death with 200 to 300 German soldiers?

Some of the Nazis were armed with the German equivalent to the American Bazooka. I think the Germans called their weapon a "Panzerfaust". It seems overwhelmingly improbable the Americans could ever believe they had a chance to win that fight.

[spoiler]
When it comes to the film's action, Fury was very well done. However, As soon as I saw the opening screen, and Brad
SPOILER:
rides into view on a white horse and the camera spends a very, very long time focused on Brad riding into view, I groaned to myself and thought, "Oh no! Brad has finally fallen for his own hype and self-image of the lone hero on the white horse. How old is that image? Seems to me, it's hundreds of years old. The lone hero on the white horse. I'm sorry. But, that was just kind of sickening.

Sure enough, one way or another, much of the rest of the film depicts Brad, the lone hero, slugging it out with the evil Nazis until the bitter end. The action was good. But the story was so similar to one of Stallone's sickening movies that seems to say, "I'm the lone hero who will win in the end. Just watch me!" I'm very sorry to say this, but for me, this movie was just kind of sickening.

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't go for this same plot line again. I've seen it so many times that I just have to say, "What a shame, that a great actor like Brad who has produced so many excellent films, now seems to have fallen for his own hype.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:26 PM

That was not Brad on the horse. It was a german soldier.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Last night we watched the 1945 noir "Detour", with actors you never heard of either before or after that film was made. It would have been fine except for the scenery chewing.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:38 AM

(minor spoilers ahead)

Interstellar - It was very good, but not excellent. The beginning was pretty slow but I didn't mind too much. I like how they leave a lot of information out and leave you wondering exactly what sort of state the USA and world are in. Then towards the middle and end the movie started getting jerky in it's timeline. And the ending wasn't that satisfying. Overall it was a mindblower and I'd watch it again.

Django Unchained - Love Tarantino movies for the most part. This one was quite good but not up to the level of Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. I think they spent way too much time with Leonardo. Also they didn't get much mileage out of people's reaction to seeing a black man on a horse, especially in the South. I guess the movie would have been much longer if they showed the reactions everywhere they went.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:22 AM
SDSAB

Just saw 42, the recent Jackie Robinson biopic, which was pretty good. I'd give it a B+. The abuse Robinson put up with from racist ballplayers and fans was pretty horrendous; Chadwick Boseman played him with a quiet, determined dignity that was very appealing, but you could also see his hunger to win. Harrison Ford chewed the scenery with great gruff enthusiasm as Branch Rickey, the Dodgers GM who put Robinson in the majors. It's a very good-looking movie, too: the late Forties ballparks, uniforms, clothes and cars are all first-rate.

Favorite line:
SPOILER:
The racist St. Louis Cardinals coach is taunting one of Robinson's teammates and asks, "How's it feel to be a nigger's nigger?"

The Dodger replies, "I dunno, Ben - how's it feel to be a redneck piece of shit?"
Old 12-11-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Last night we watched the 1945 noir "Detour", with actors you never heard of either before or after that film was made. It would have been fine except for the scenery chewing.
When you complain about the "scenery chewing", I'm not exactly sure I know what that means. But I have a strong recollection of that film as being one of the worst "noir" movies I had ever seen.

I found one definition of "scenery chewing" as follows:

http://www.theatrecrafts.com/glossar...hescenery.html

From the Maven's Word of the Day at Random House page, written by Carol Braham

Chew (up the) scenery means 'to act melodramatically; overact'. Usually, it's in the context of a play or movie, but it can refer to an aunt of yours who is a frustrated actress. The connotation, either positive or negative, depends on whether the overacting is appropriate to the role or occasion. Here's a recent review from the Topeka Capital-Journal: "Jeff Montague was surely Captain Hook in another life. He minces and chortles, preens and roars and chews the scenery. He is wonderful. It is the best work I have ever seen him do. It is, most likely, the most fun he has ever had on stage --- and it shows." And here's a review of the 1994 film Interview With a Vampire: "While Tom Cruise chews the scenery as the irredeemably evil vampire Lestat, [Brad] Pitt quietly infuses the picture with a powerful melancholy."
Old 12-11-2014, 08:07 PM

Dang! I missed the time limit cut off point for editing my post.

Here is the post I would have liked to have made. I'm very sorry to do this but if any mod sees this post, I sure would appreciate if they would delete the older version of my post. Here is the version I would have liked to have made:

There is a movie titled "The Homesman" (2014) starring Hilary Swank and Tommy Lee Jones.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2398231

Very early into this film (about 10 minutes from the start), Hilary Swank's character proposes marriage to another character who seems to be several years younger than Swank's character. I'm sorry but I don't know the name of that character or the actor who portrays him.

However, he is none too pleased to hear her propose marriage and he answers her with words to the effect of, "No! You are too bossy. In addition, you are also ..." I cannot understand just what he says next. I think his answer may contain the words, "plain" or "homely". I'm just not sure. But I think he feels she is just too plain or homely to suit him.

Does anyone know just what he says to her? Does he call her "plain" or "homely"? I honestly couldn't tell. But, I wanted to crawl right into the screen and smack him one in the head. I have only watched the first 10 minutes of this movie, but it sure does seem like it will be an excellent film and it seems to me that she is a real peach while he is a real stupid cheese head because she is a real treasure - regardless of her looks and he should feel honored that she would propose to him.

So sad to realize that men can be such jerks towards women and often do behave in that way. Makes me want to apologize to all women on behalf of all the stupid jerky men.

Anyway, does anyone know just what he says to her and whether my feeling about him are correct? Does he deserve to have his face smacked?

IMDB rated this film at 6.6. I regret that I have not as of yet seen the whole film. Can anyone tell me whether my feeling is correct insofar as this is an excellent film?

It sure does seem that way to me. It sure does seem like it deserves to be rated much higher than 6.6. Unfortunately, having only seen the first ten minutes, it's just not fair for me to try and evaluate this film on the basis of having seen only the first ten minutes.

Poor Hilary always seems to get the short end of the stick when it comes to acting assignments. Just once, I'd love to see her cast as the heroine-type character! She certainly is a great actor and it's interesting that she appears in this film together with one of the greatest actors of them all - Meryl Streep.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Hilary Swank has two B. Actress Oscars and was the "hero" (well, one of them) in The Core.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:38 AM

I recall another movie starring TLJ. It also starred Cate Blanchett.

The Missing (2003)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338188/...nm_flmg_act_19

This film was rated 6.5 by IMDB. It seems to me that it was a very good fit for TLJ. He just seems to be a natural for these kinds of settings.

In The Missing, he played the father of Cate Blanchett in 1885 New Mexico.

In The Homesman, TLJ plays in a similar era. It's around 1885 again and he plays a similar kind of character in the Western USA.

Both films are rated very closely together. The Missing is rated 6.5 while The Homesman is rated 6.6.

It seems to me the biggest difference between these two films is Hilary Swank.

Cate Blanchett is one of the very best actresses working today. So, that speaks to me as to the quality of Hilary Swank. I've always thought she is a great actress.

So far, The Homesman looks like it will be a truly excellent film. I still haven't finished it. But I've watched about a quarter of the movie and it just keeps getting better and better.

At this stage, it seems to me to be a much better film than The Missing. As far as I can tell, the biggest diff between the two films is Hilary Swank. She is just such a powerful actor, I just love her work. The first scene she plays with TLJ is just a powerhouse display of her ability as an actor.

I feel strongly compelled to get back to the film now. It seems to me that it's becoming a most excellent film.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 12-12-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:34 AM

Dredd. Again. If you haven't seen this film, you're missing out: forget that it's about a comic book character for a moment, it's not an overblown CGI fest, mostly because it was shot on almost no money. It's is one of the smartest, best put together movies you've seen in a long time, and a master class in how to assemble a fully functional movie from not very much; there is nothing in there that shouldn't be there, and the end result is lean, sharp, dirty, and totally engrossing.

Last edited by Penfeather; 12-12-2014 at 05:36 AM.