Old 01-05-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
In the meantime, Republicans have reinstated an obscure law that allows Congress to reduce the salary of any federal employee to as little as $1.
A House Rule is not the same thing as a law.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Oh, so that means they can't really do it? Groovy! Finally, you got some good news!
Old 01-05-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Someone needs to tell this guy that politically appointed ambassadors are basically figureheads and that the staff do the real work. We will not be unrepresented in any way.
About 70% of ambassadors are career diplomats (Foreign Service Officers) and not political appointments. It is moronic to do what Trump is doing. Previous administrations have given temporary extensions to the FSOs while cutting loose the political appointees. Many of the FSOs were then reconfirmed or shuffled around.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
About 70% of ambassadors are career diplomats (Foreign Service Officers) and not political appointments. It is moronic to do what Trump is doing. Previous administrations have given temporary extensions to the FSOs while cutting loose the political appointees. Many of the FSOs were then reconfirmed or shuffled around.
The article specifically pointed out that those asked to resign were the political appointees. Unless I am missing something.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Trump has ordered all politically appointed ambassadors to leave their posts by election day. We're going to be almost totally unrepresented in the world until the Senate gets around to approving all of his nominations.
Each of those embassies has a career bureaucrat that is more than capable of holding down the fort until a replacement is selected.

I don't buy the notion that Trump sold cabinet positions but you can certainly buy ambassadorial appointments.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
I'm no economist, but I thought protectionist tariffs had fallen out of favor.
That's only if everyone else retaliates with their own tariffs. Then we get worldwide recession.

It is not unheard of for powerful nations to force other nations to adopt favorable trade policies. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_Wars

I think Trump could sink this low and I think there is a significant portion of the population that would support America's use of military power to extract economic concession from the rest of the world. We have already heard Trump talk about making other nations pay for our protection and making them pay for a wall.

We have the most powerful military the world has ever know. The rest of the world acting in concert would have trouble dealing with our military and we could wipe several of them off the face of the earth before breakfast. Why not simply turn the rest of the world into de facto tributary states? I don't think anything is beyond possibility anymore.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
The article specifically pointed out that those asked to resign were the political appointees. Unless I am missing something.
No, maybe I am. I had heard he was firing all of Obama's ambassadors, not just the political appointees. If he is just getting rid of the thirty odd percent that are not career ambassadors, then it may not be as stupid as I originally thought.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
I'm thinking a new Great Depression, the end of American democracy, theocracy, state mandated racism, sexism & other bigotry, and yes, probably the use of nuclear weapons. Not so much a "war", as a one sided attack; probably on either Mecca or Tehran.

And that's only some of what I expect from Trump and the Republicans.
State mandated racism, huh? That's breaking new ground, ever for you DT. I'm wondering how that would work....

Dateline July, 2019. Charles Kelly, a 45-year-old white man, was arrested at his La Jolla Surf Shop Saturday morning for allegedly refusing to use the "n word" when Darrel Jefferson, a 35-year-old black man, entered the store just as it was opening. Friends of Mr. Kelly (known locally as "Gnarly Charlie") were not surprised. "The new mandated racism laws just don't sit well with the Gnarlster" said his longtime friend and surf buddy Clyde "Hang Ten" Kennedy. "Those laws are, like, a totally bummer man. Not rad!!!"
Old 01-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Each of those embassies has a career bureaucrat that is more than capable of holding down the fort until a replacement is selected.

I don't buy the notion that Trump sold cabinet positions but you can certainly buy ambassadorial appointments.
True enough. A senior officer will take over the day-to-day as chargé d'affaires. I betting we'll see an Ambassador Palin or an Ambassador Giuliani. Or the hot dog vendor outside his building. You know: whomever he last saw.

Last edited by Chefguy; 01-06-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
State mandated racism, huh? That's breaking new ground, ever for you DT. I'm wondering how that would work....
Jim Crow laws were certainly state mandated racism. Not saying those are coming back but they serve as precedent.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Jim Crow laws were certainly state mandated racism. Not saying those are coming back but they serve as precedent.
Precise replicas of Jim Crow aren't coming back, but trying to treat Latino or Muslim people differently is certainly not impossible. After all, Arizona just passed the "Papers, Please" law a few years ago.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Precise replicas of Jim Crow aren't coming back, but trying to treat Latino or Muslim people differently is certainly not impossible. After all, Arizona just passed the "Papers, Please" law a few years ago.
Getting zoning permission to build a mosque is significantly more difficult than getting zoning permission for a Christian church.

(There was an example, even here in liberal southern California, where a Krishnan church was held to a much higher standard than Christian churches nearby. Imagine trying to build a mosque in Mobile.)
Old 01-06-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
There was never a state mandate to be a racist. You re thinking of state sanctioned racism. Not the same thing.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Rounding up and interning or killing people because of their race comes to mind. We're putting neoNazis and their sympathizers into power; we know how such people act when they can. I expect the Republicans to go full Holocaust, eventually; except on a much larger scale and with nobody able to stop them.

I think the future of America is a racist theocracy with a collapsed economy, and maybe half the population it has now because the rest were expelled or killed. And the future of Mexico, South America and Africa is being radioactive wastelands after the Republicans bombard them to "purify the Earth of lesser, Satanic races".
Old 01-06-2017, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
....(There was an example, even here in liberal southern California, where a Krishnan church was held to a much higher standard than Christian churches nearby. Imagine trying to build a mosque in Mobile.)
Mildly confused, in that "Krishnan" implies Hindu to me.

Last edited by elucidator; 01-06-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Rounding up and interning or killing people because of their race comes to mind. We're putting neoNazis and their sympathizers into power; we know how such people act when they can. I expect the Republicans to go full Holocaust, eventually; except on a much larger scale and with nobody able to stop them.

I think the future of America is a racist theocracy with a collapsed economy, and maybe half the population it has now because the rest were expelled or killed. And the future of Mexico, South America and Africa is being radioactive wastelands after the Republicans bombard them to "purify the Earth of lesser, Satanic races".
You must be a ton of fun at parties....
Old 01-06-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Goddamn that NeoNazi FDR for rounding up and interning the Japanese!!!!!

I posit that Der Trihs is a Repub plant sent to discredit the opposition. Or the 21st century L Ron Hubbard.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Mildly confused, in that "Krishnan" implies Hindu to me.
Here is the article.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...t02-story.html

The Hare Krishnas wanted to build much more than a temple (church).
Old 01-07-2017, 01:15 AM

Quote:

Yeah, but what's the worst case scenario?

Last edited by John Mace; 01-07-2017 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Donald Trump?
Old 01-07-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
More likely, he can't wait to say "You're fired!"
I can't think of any other reason.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
NPR has an article about it here: http://www.npr.org/2016/12/28/507305...m_content=2056

So, I'm skeptical but reserving judgement. On the one hand, the new investment and jobs is of course good news. On the other, it's unclear how much Trump really pulled the levers on this one and how much he's taking credit for things already in progress for months. Also, it's worrisome when a President makes personal deals with businesses and doesn't disclose the terms. No transparency, no accountability, just shady cronyism. That's not the way we ought to be doing things.
I'd expect he is just stealing credit for what someone else may or may not be doing. Par for the course.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I think the simpler, and more factually accurate explanation is that she is a weak candidate with some fatal flaws who ran a horrible campaign. I.e. she is a horrible candidate.
And that still doesn't address an entire Republican party, full of weak candidates who couldn't even (none of them) keep Donald Dump from hijacking their party and getting nominated. In other words, even if Hillary was terrible, all the Repubs were even worse and more horrible and incompetent.

But it doesn't help that the Russians, the FBI director, Wikileaks' Assange, and the fake news bunch kept piling on more bullshit while giving Trump a pass on everything that diarrheas out of his mouth.... and all the dumb fucks that ate that shit up.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
So now he picks Jay Clayton, best friend of Wall Street and large banks, to head the SEC. Refresh my memory: Wasn't Hillary's relationship with Wall Street constantly brought up during the election? Isn't picking people like this what Trumpy Wumpy voters DIDN'T want?
He lied (again). Get used to it.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
Everything he does looks moronic. I'm thinking my vey first observation was correct... he is trying to dismantle and sabotage the government, set it up for a complete breakdown, so he and his cronies can do more looting and power grabbing.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, but her e-mails ...
Old 01-07-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Yeah, but her e-mails ...
I think this may be the first post of yours with which I've agreed. I actually did lol.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nuclear war gives the cockroaches mutant powers.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Nuclear war gives the cockroaches mutant powers.
And makes them racists!
Old 01-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Only the German cockroaches.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
I'd expect he is just stealing credit for what someone else may or may not be doing. Par for the course.
And the businesses might just play along with these bullshit fabrications if nothing else just by not saying anything, as it might be to their advantage.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2017, 09:39 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Trump drops inauguration announcer who's done them all since Eisenhower
Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump is breaking from 11 presidents' worth of tradition and benching Charles Brotman.
The 89-year-old Brotman -- once the voice of the Washington Senators baseball team -- has announced every inauguration parade since Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1957.
He told WJLA he was "heartbroken" and "destroyed" by the decision at first.

"I've been doing this for 60 years," he told the Washington ABC affiliate.
In his place, the Trump team has tapped Steve Ray, a 58-year-old Washington-based freelance announcer who has worked with the MLB's Washington Nationals and for local radio stations.
And he was told by email, not even the courtesy of a phone call.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Bolding mine

This is a bit over the top but it made me think:

One of the hallmarks of the Republican/alt-right/conservative/Fox/right politician/media has been projection. It's not just coincidence that the most virulent anti-gays get caught in compromising ways. And the Donald's record on what he screeched about yesterday is nearly word for word what he's doing today.
Something that's been howled about quite regularly over the past years is camps; FEMA camps or their equivalent.

Makes me wonder (and glad once again I moved to Canada)
Old 01-09-2017, 11:27 AM

Soooo...what do you make of Der Trihs projections?
Old 01-09-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Trump drops inauguration announcer who's done them all since Eisenhower

Quote:
Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump is breaking from 11 presidents' worth of tradition and benching Charles Brotman. The 89-year-old Brotman -- once the voice of the Washington Senators baseball team -- has announced every inauguration parade since Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1957. He told WJLA he was "heartbroken" and "destroyed" by the decision at first.

"I've been doing this for 60 years," he told the Washington ABC affiliate. In his place, the Trump team has tapped Steve Ray, a 58-year-old Washington-based freelance announcer who has worked with the MLB's Washington Nationals and for local radio stations. And he was told by email, not even the courtesy of a phone call.
And he was told by email, not even the courtesy of a phone call.
The question is, how much did Steve Ray donate to Trump's campaign?
Old 01-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am pleased to have someone on board who's presence affords me some "centrist" cred.

Last edited by elucidator; 01-09-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Who's Der Trihs? I see the name bandied about but I don't see any posts by him.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Who's Der Trihs? I see the name bandied about but I don't see any posts by him.
You mean you haven't been invited to receive his musings?
Old 01-09-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
I am pleased to have someone on board who's presence affords me some "centrist" cred.
Agreed. The entertainment value of his posts more than makes up for his extremism.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:19 PM

I love how Trump is firing people who don't yet work for him. First he wants all of the ambassadors to resign, and now he's told the heads of the National Nuclear Security Administration, the organization that keeps track of our nuclear weapons, to clear out.

http://gizmodo.com/trump-just-dismis...nin-1790908093
Old 01-09-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I love how Trump is firing people who don't yet work for him. First he wants all of the ambassadors to resign, and now he's told the heads of the National Nuclear Security Administration, the organization that keeps track of our nuclear weapons, to clear out.

Best quote from that link:

Quote:
The source later added, “I’m more and more coming around to the idea that we’re so very very fucked.”
Old 01-09-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Then he hires his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, in violation of 5 U.S. Code § 3110.

(b) A public official may not appoint, employ, promote, advance, or advocate for appointment, employment, promotion, or advancement, in or to a civilian position in the agency in which he is serving or over which he exercises jurisdiction or control any individual who is a relative of the public official. An individual may not be appointed, employed, promoted, or advanced in or to a civilian position in an agency if such appointment, employment, promotion, or advancement has been advocated by a public official, serving in or exercising jurisdiction or control over the agency, who is a relative of the individual.

If this is any example of how Trump plans on respecting the law his impeachment will be rather easy. Hopefully he'll be caught telling lies to cover his misdeeds and a 3 ring circus ensues while the world watches and laughs.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I hope they are laughing, I fear they are cringing.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:18 PM

I've started mentally inserting "Loke" whenever I read "Trump". The world makes sense again. Disturbing sense, but still sense.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
In the meantime, Republicans have reinstated an obscure law that allows Congress to reduce the salary of any federal employee to as little as $1.
Now we know why they requested lists of Energy and State Department employees involved with climate change and anti-discrimination efforts.

Civil Service protects them from "You're Fired!" but not from a pay cut to $1 per annum...
Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
And that still doesn't address an entire Republican party, full of weak candidates who couldn't even (none of them) keep Donald Dump from hijacking their party and getting nominated. In other words, even if Hillary was terrible, all the Repubs were even worse and more horrible and incompetent.
I think the Republican primary has been addressed several times. But if you think it was because the other Republican candidates were even shittier than Hillary, I'm not going to defend them. But I think that Trump won the primaries by cornering the racist/bigot vote and that was enough to give him a plurality in a 17 way race.

Quote:
But it doesn't help that the Russians, the FBI director, Wikileaks' Assange, and the fake news bunch kept piling on more bullshit while giving Trump a pass on everything that diarrheas out of his mouth.... and all the dumb fucks that ate that shit up.
So the Russians lied somehow? The whiny blaming of foreign powers for the loss is weak tea. WTF do you think the Russians did other than illegally obtain accurate information about Hillary''s cheating?

I agree the FBI's re-opening of the email probe affected the election and it shouldn't have but Director Comey (who the left was calling a paragon of integrity when he declined to recommend charges against Hillary for her use of a private email server) is now being criticized for showing integrity in announcing the discovery of heretofore undiscovered emails to and from Huma Abedin. Turns out it wasn't a big deal but should he have sat on this discovery until after he found something incriminating even if that incriminating evidence wasn't found until after the election? Hillary's penchant for secrecy and non-disclosure fed into this and was part of what made her such a shitty candidate.

Assange, the darling of free speech and the left when he released stuff that hurt Bush, but totally untrustworthy creep now that he releases stuff that hurts Hillary. Did he release incorrect information? Did he compromise our national security wen he released the emails like he did when he released information when Bush was president? Were they fake emails?

What fake news affected the election? Trump's mouth diarrhea was apparent to most but they still chose Hillary in states that voted for Obama over McCain and Romney. Doesn't that make you think that the problem might have been Hillary?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Best quote from that link:
"After speaking to our source for clarification, we have updated the story and headline to reflect that, while Klotz and Creedon have submitted their resignations, intend to depart on January 20, and have not been asked by the Trump transition to stay past that date, the Trump team has not explicitly instructed them to leave or “clean out their desks,” as we reported. According to our source, both officials “have expressed [to the Trump team] that they would likely be willing to stay to facilitate a smooth transition, if asked,” as is the tradition for key officials, and have received no response.

Their goodbye party is scheduled for next Thursday."

Still not very encouraging but there is a chance that just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
....I agree the FBI's re-opening of the email probe affected the election and it shouldn't have but Director Comey (who the left was calling a paragon of integrity when he declined to recommend charges against Hillary for her use of a private email server) is now being criticized for showing integrity....
So, he did it, and he shouldn't have, but you will set that minor problem aside because liberal hypocrisy?
Old 01-10-2017, 12:12 PM

this is better than sominex
Old 01-10-2017, 01:33 PM

Ugh. Trump supporter Roosevelt Grier is running for Governor of California. A run of the mill Republican can't get elected in California, but a celebrity can (qv Schwartzeneggar). I am worried.