Old 10-18-2018, 03:59 PM

I found real old style Ginger Beer

Bundaberg Ginger Beer, $16 for a 10 pack but I decided to try it. No weird spices and no grapefruit like the Jamaican style Ginger Beer. No trendy twist from the too cool for school PBR crowd.

I've had better Ginger Beer, but this is the best I've had in a long time.

How do you describe Ginger Beer, it is similar to Ginger Ale but different, generally a more gingery taste and tastes like it has been brewed if that makes any sense. It also tastes like days gone by. Ginger Ale is just flavored soda in the end. Ginger Beer is what Ginger Ale is based on to the best of my knowledge.

Oh cool, the company's site addresses the question.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:09 PM

I am a huge fan of Reed's Jamaican-style Ginger beer. It's the only kind I've ever tried. I don't think it has grapefruit in it, more likely pineapple juice.

I saw some Ginger Beer at World Market the other day, but I passed on it because of the price. I don't recall the brand name.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I am a huge fan of Reed's Jamaican-style Ginger beer. It's the only kind I've ever tried. I don't think it has grapefruit in it, more likely pineapple juice.

I saw some Ginger Beer at World Market the other day, but I passed on it because of the price. I don't recall the brand name.
That is exactly the store I bought the Bundaberg at and for the price I will not by it often.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

A previous thread, with reviews.

TL;DR - AJ Stephans Ginger Beer beats all comers.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
That is exactly the store I bought the Bundaberg at and for the price I will not by it often.
Interesting, that was probably it then.

Maybe I'll spring for it next time if it's that good
Old 10-18-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
A previous thread, with reviews.

TL;DR - AJ Stephans Ginger Beer beats all comers.
You know, I was thinking of you when I posted this thread, it seemed like Ginger Beer was right up your alley. I probably read that thread back then and it stuck as a vague memory.

I had homemade Ginger Beer and it was awesome. I had some in Ireland a few years ago it was really good. I had the Trader Joe's Jamaican style Ginger Beer and I couldn't stand it.

Reed's sounds like it is not the style I like though.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:38 PM

are we talking w/ c2h5oh or soda pop?
Old 10-18-2018, 07:46 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

yeah, Bundaberg is all right in my book. Not as good as the previously mentioned AJ Stephans, but better than average, maybe even up in my top 10 ginger beers (I've tried a LOT of them.)

I've developed a fondness for Blenheim's hot ginger ale lately. I wish it were easier to get. Nice ginger flavor, great burn.

Reed's extra ginger version is nice, also.

A few of the exotic/generic versions I've found in asian grocery stores across the country have been surprisingly top notch too.

I still miss Old Tyme Ginger Beer, but I haven't seen it around in ages, and the last time was about 8 years ago in Canada.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
yeah, Bundaberg is all right in my book. Not as good as the previously mentioned AJ Stephans, but better than average, maybe even up in my top 10 ginger beers (I've tried a LOT of them.)

I've developed a fondness for Blenheim's hot ginger ale lately. I wish it were easier to get. Nice ginger flavor, great burn.

A few of the exotic/generic versions I've found in asian grocery stores across the country have been surprisingly top notch too.

I still miss Old Tyme Ginger Beer, but I haven't seen it around in ages, and the last time was about 8 years ago in Canada.
I guess that answered my question....Soda pop it is.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:

How would you describe AJ Stephans?

I don't love the burn. I do love the robust ginger flavor.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:08 AM

I love ginger beer. I tried some Bedford's ginger beer recently and it was pleasant and pure ginger. It's on the mild side but still has bite.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

I'm not a fan of ginger beer, but I am a big fan of Bundaberg's other flavours (apple cider and passonfruit are my faves for summer). And because I live in the country of origin, it's cheap as. About $1.30 per bottle for me.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:22 AM

I'll have to try the Bundaberg, if I can find it locally.

My go-to ginger beer currently is Fever-Tree, which kicks the butt of any mass-produced ginger ale on the market. Beyond being great ice-cold, it's a treat when partially frozen into ginger beer slush.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:40 AM

Trader Joe's made a ginger beer a few years ago that was both really good, and pretty cheap relative to other ginger beers I've had. It also came in those flip-top rubber stoppered glass bottles like Grolsch beer. I wish I'd stocked up on it when it was available.

Goslings makes a ginger beer, as well, which isn't Jamaican style, but it's mostly hum-drum: a kicked up version of ginger ale. They would do be to stick to the black rum side of the Dark and Stormy.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post

My go-to ginger beer currently is Fever-Tree, which kicks the butt of any mass-produced ginger ale on the market. Beyond being great ice-cold, it's a treat when partially frozen into ginger beer slush.
I'll have to try that with one. Sounds like it could be good.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozahol Squid, P.I. View Post
Trader Joe's made a ginger beer a few years ago that was both really good, and pretty cheap relative to other ginger beers I've had. It also came in those flip-top rubber stoppered glass bottles like Grolsch beer. I wish I'd stocked up on it when it was available.

Goslings makes a ginger beer, as well, which isn't Jamaican style, but it's mostly hum-drum: a kicked up version of ginger ale. They would do be to stick to the black rum side of the Dark and Stormy.
I wish I'd tried the old Trader Joe's ginger beer. Their current version is very bitter.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:08 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Concur. I also like their smaller bottles. I don't need such a big gulp to sate my cravings.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 10-19-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:52 AM

I like the burn so itís Blenheimís Old #3 for me.
If I canít find that I like Cock ní Bull.
If find the Bundaberg too blah and flat.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:55 AM

If you have a World Market store near you they always carry Bundaberg.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:34 AM

For Americans: it's pronounced BUN-da-berg. Named after the Qld town where it's produced, an area where both ginger and sugarcane grow well. My Yank husband has contorted it into all kinds of faux-German BOON-der-BURGHHHH nonsense on more than one occasion.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Concur. I also like their smaller bottles. I don't need such a big gulp to sate my cravings.
I'm the opposite. I like a ginger beer to "love me long time." Fever Tree is really good, but I want it in bigger bottles. Starting with 1 liter, ideally.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Was it their Triple Ginger Brew? I just bought and consumed a bottle from one of their Southern California stores last week. It is a pretty strong ginger beer.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:

I can report the Bundaberg Ginger Slush is awesome. I let it freeze for about 45 minutes, I am really enjoying it currently.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

I don't know ginger beer in general, but Bundeberg is certainly good. You can get it at Costco, too.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:49 PM

Bundaberg, rum and lime juice is a pretty tasty highball. Not quite a Dark and Stormy, but really close.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:34 AM

Ginger related - Gingeroo, made by the Old New Orleans Rum Distillery, is pretty tasty stuff. I've not seen anything else like it. Its sweet but it sure beats Canada Dry.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:00 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

For the extreme ginger aficionado, Powell and Mahoney used to make their Powell & Mahoney Old Ballycastle Ginger Vintage, a super strong non-alcoholic ginger syrup for mixing with, well, whatever you wanted. I still have a full bottle from a buying binge I went on years ago.

Sadly it seems the product is no longer available. But here's a nice picture.

I don't know how Powell and Mahoney's ginger beer product ranks amongst the others I've tried; I've never seen it in stores.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobysnax View Post
Was it their Triple Ginger Brew? I just bought and consumed a bottle from one of their Southern California stores last week. It is a pretty strong ginger beer.
It was! They still make it; they just won't sell it to me? Jerks.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
It was! They still make it; they just won't sell it to me? Jerks.
Next time you are at TJs take a look around. For some reason they treat it as a seasonal beverage and only sell it during the last quarter of the year.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:25 PM

I like Bundaberg well enough, but if you should try Stoney if you can get it.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:12 PM

What no Crabbies? If you're gonna have ginger beer, might as well have it fermented.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

I've been impressed by the Crabbie's flavors I've tried. But around here it's rather pricey.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Bundaberg, rum and lime juice is a pretty tasty highball. Not quite a Dark and Stormy, but really close.
That would be Bundaberg Rum of course.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:21 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post
I guess that answered my question....Soda pop it is.

I had the same question. Thanks for asking it. On a note related to the OP, but non-alcohol related, the grocery store down the road from my apartment in Beijing now stocks Hey Song sarsaparilla from Taiwan. I like it, but I sure do miss the birch beer I got introduced to in my short stint in Pennsylvania.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:02 AM

My husband's homemade. Just ginger, lemon, sugar, and a good long sit in the shed

ETA: Oh, I see this board is being ginger-beered by the ginger-beer-inator....

Last edited by Aspidistra; 08-18-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by araminty View Post
For Americans: it's pronounced BUN-da-berg. Named after the Qld town where it's produced, an area where both ginger and sugarcane grow well. My Yank husband has contorted it into all kinds of faux-German BOON-der-BURGHHHH nonsense on more than one occasion.
Your husband must be weird, as I can't conceive of a way to pronounce it besides the way you say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I don't know ginger beer in general, but Bundeberg is certainly good. You can get it at Costco, too.
My Costco has Fever Tree. I've had those two, Cock & Bull, plus a few others that escape me. I don't notice any big differences, no grapefruit taste and all are good.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowmule View Post
What's the best ginger beer ever?
The best I've had was home-brewed by a couple that was older than dirt 25 years ago. I haven't seen them since the 90s and only had their ginger beer twice, but it was absolutely excellent.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
has anyone tried fever tree ginger beer?
Quote:
I feel that ginger ale is a good substitute for ginger beer when making a moscow mule. Does anyone agree?

Quote:
What's the best ginger beer ever?

You had to zombie three separate threads to seek our responses?

My favorite ginger beers of the ones still being produced are Blenheim's (especially the "hot" pink-capped bottles), Buffalo Rock, Jamaica, and Gosling's.

I have not tried Fever Tree, or not that I recall. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Most ginger ale isn't strong enough to be a decent substitute for ginger beer. There are exceptions: the above-mentioned Buffalo Rock actually bills itself as ginger ale but it's as gingery and strong as any of the others in that list (well maybe not as strong as the Blenheim pink-cap).
Old 08-18-2019, 10:36 AM

What do you have against zombie threads?
From the username clearly he finds ginger beer very important.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:47 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Most ginger ale isn't strong enough to be a decent substitute for ginger beer. There are exceptions: the above-mentioned Buffalo Rock actually bills itself as ginger ale but it's as gingery and strong as any of the others in that list (well maybe not as strong as the Blenheim pink-cap).
I like Blenheim's xtra hot. I have a dozen bottles chilled right now. But is it anything more than their regular ginger ale with extra capsaicin added?
Old 08-18-2019, 02:07 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
You had to zombie three separate threads to seek our responses?
That was a spammer, promoting a specific brand of ginger beer. He has been wished away to the cornfield.