Old 02-26-2017, 02:22 PM

Original Angel?

MiM
Old 02-26-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Macau View Post
Original Angel?

MiM
That would work, actually. Thanks, now I don't need to stay awake at night wondering about it forever.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogance Ex Machina View Post
Did they ever explain her new name, OA? I wouldn't care otherwise but my Finnish subtitles gave her name as EE instead so I kept on waiting for them to reveal what sort of acronym it is, going through various possibilities that'd be "OA" in English but "EE" in Finnish in my mind. If they ever explained it I must've missed it, though.
The main character says* at some point that it means "Original Angel". Before that, I kept thinking: "It must stand for 'Orignal something' but that would be too corny".

I also wish I could get back the hours I put into watching the child of Lost and New Age hipster Touched by an angel.

*With a bad mix of offhandedness and taking themselves too seriously.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:19 PM

I think it was "Original Angel". Yep, just checked. Original Angel.

FWIW, since Wayward Pines has been mentioned, I liked Wayward Pines better. Don't get me wrong, it was terrible. But it was terrible in a B movie, doesn't-take-itself-too-seriously terrible way. The OA was all about taking itself seriously, and it righteously sucked.

I still cringe whenever I think about the cafeteria.

ETA: double ninja'ed

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 02-26-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
The OA was all about taking itself seriously, and it righteously sucked.
You forgot to capitalize Seriously.

(Read that in a "Safe Space Coordinator who has had Enough" voice.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

I thought "OA" was a mishearing of "Away," a reference to the afterlife. Is that wrong?
Old 02-26-2017, 06:07 PM

Yes. It really was for "Original Angel".

wiki page, one of the episode pages contains the "reveal" of her name.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:21 PM

Does that strike anyone else as the name a pre-teen girl would choose after listening to rap?

With all its flaws, what did the show get right? It evidently got some things right but I can't put my finger on it.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:25 PM

Maybe Athena or Mahaloth can help with that. About all I can admit to is liking the character actress who played the teacher.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes. It really was for "Original Angel".

wiki page, one of the episode pages contains the "reveal" of her name.
Ah, okay. That apparently happens in the fifth episode; I watched through the fourth. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2017, 10:21 PM

I figured out the O stood for original based on something she said early in the season. Can't remember what it was now though. Then later they confirmed Original Angel. I think they wanted it to also sound like "away."
Old 02-27-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
With all its flaws, what did the show get right? It evidently got some things right but I can't put my finger on it.
Like LOST, it presented an interesting mystery. Also like LOST, the eventual reveal sucked.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Maybe Athena or Mahaloth can help with that. About all I can admit to is liking the character actress who played the teacher.
All I can admit is thinking "that's Phyllis from 'The Office'" every time I saw the teacher...
Old 02-28-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
FWIW, since Wayward Pines has been mentioned, I liked Wayward Pines better. Don't get me wrong, it was terrible. But it was terrible in a B movie, doesn't-take-itself-too-seriously terrible way. The OA was all about taking itself seriously, and it righteously sucked.
Yes, agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I thought the scenes with the doctor/researcher were generally good. The design of his cells was kind of ingenious, with the spring underneath (although you don't want to think too hard about the toilet and drinking water being the same, especially if you are the furthest downstream). And I love the scene with him and his mentor in the morgue.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:38 AM

And, its back.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:35 PM

Saw the first two new episodes last night. It's watchable and engaging. Puts a little whitewash over the horrible ending of season 1, but I just accepted it and moved on.

Problem is that it's been off so long that I don't remember who any of the characters are, so I only vaguely recalled the ending of the second new episode.

The scene of the group in the field wasn't from the first season, right? It fell flat with me, seeming like something cobbled together to bridge the two seasons, part of the whitewash of last season's finale in the cafeteria.

If you're about to start season 2, I recommend rewatching season 1 first. Which I guess I'll do this evening since the girlfriend can't watch the new ones with me tonight.

I like the PI. Hope he didn't come out of that water with fifteen different diseases. But what's with everyone's assumption that a giant-ass house has exactly one entrance? Not sure I trust Nina's social worker... she seems a little sinister. The lady who flies with crows is interesting. I'm sure her remarks about the birds will be important later.

I don't yet feel qualified to remark on the whole garden of forking paths arc since I've only seen a couple of the new episodes, but it's an engaging premise.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:29 PM

I started Season 2 last night and I'm on episode 4. I'm enjoying it so far. Still very weird and engaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
The scene of the group in the field wasn't from the first season, right?
No, that scene wasn't in season 1. It was just a quick flashback to show us how Hap and his captives crossed into the parallel dimension. I think it was kind of necessary to show what happened after Hap released Prairie, and to set up the situation at the mental hospital.

Quote:
I like the PI.
I like him, too. So far, he's a relatively grounded character amidst the New Age stuff.

I didn't think the ending of season 1 was horrible, and I don't think anything in this season is 'whitewashing' it. In fact, they are building everything in this season from it. The only slight whitewashing I detected was the scene with Prairie's dad and French, regarding the books that were found under Prairie's bed in season 1. Just kind of swept that mystery away quickly, though with a very plausible explanation.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:05 AM

This show is back? You've got to be shitting me.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:20 AM

Zoo got three seasons.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:41 PM

Episode 4 is the craziest yet. There is a particular scene that is really ridiculous. Would probably be a breaking point for anyone on the fence about this show. I'm still in!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:03 PM

I dunno if I'm gonna be able to find the time, but Imma have to rewatch the first season before watching the new stuff or I'll be totally in the weeds. At least it was a fairly short show.

I never did finish Stranger Things 2nd season or the Twin Peaks revival, will this break the curse? We shall see.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
or the Twin Peaks revival
You didn't miss much. I'm not sure I can ever watch anything new by Lynch again.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Is there a good season 1 summary? I watched it when it first hit netflix, but would love a recap.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Is there a good season 1 summary? I watched it when it first hit netflix, but would love a recap.
There is a lengthy recap when play episode 1.

Yeah, despite the WTF ending on season 1, I tried to give season 2 a shot. I'm sorry I did.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:56 PM

Just watched episodes 3 and 4. I dunno. Every episode of season 1 was good, even with the interpretive dance segments. This season just isn't.

I still maintain that the series is watchable, but the second season has nowhere near the magnificence, the magic and mystery, of the first season. Remember when the OA bit that dog's ear and told him that he was good? I've seen none of the angel in her this season. So far, it's mostly been the characters figuring out technicalities and chasing down clues.

And when they get a clue--like at the woo woo lady's place--it's something that feels more suited to Stranger Things than to The OA.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:49 AM

The main element of S1 I liked was the sort of horror/drama of the flashbacks to Jason Isaacs kidnapping these people, the creative way he housed them, and his meetings with the other Dr. Mengele type at the morgue (I think it was?). All the "current day" stuff, I found pretty boring. I'm guessing therefore that this season will not be to my liking.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:19 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Well, much to the delight of some who posted in this thread, The OA will not be renewed by Netflix.

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/the-...led-by-netflix

I, for one, am holding out hope that Hulu or Amazon or one of the others will pick it up.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 08-06-2019 at 12:19 PM.