Old 04-25-2019, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Until this year, the show was produced by 20th Century Fox and aired by the Fox Television network. The same company, in other words. Now that Disney bought the Fox TV and movie studio, the production and broadcast is with two different companies. Networks are much more likely to broadcast in-house shows lately rather than ones from outside studios. So will Fox continue with the show? Look at the example of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which was produced by NBC but aired on Fox. Fox cancelled it but it moved to NBC.

I've heard that Fox might drop scripted shows almost entirely.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:23 PM

Maybe it comes back on ABC next year?
Old 04-25-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

The cancellation predicting sites are 50/50 about the show. I really hope it makes it. If it doesn't it's going to go down as one of those famous Fox blunders. The show is just now really hitting its stride. It would be tragic to cancel it.

I hope MacFarlane basically pulls out a "I've made your network billions of dollars. Tilt a 50/50 in my direction fit fucks sake"
Old 04-25-2019, 03:35 PM

I'm sure he has been making that pitch.

I have heard the same about FOX going for sports and reality programming now that they don't have a studio. But does that really mean they would abruptly dump all the scripted shows they have now? Or just let them wind down and replace them with non-scripted content.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Fox picked up "Last Man Standing" this year. A show that was canceled by it's previous network.

I can't imagine they will be dropping all scripted shows. Much less The Orvile.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

The economics of the business today mean that it's really hard for a network to make money with an outside show (partly because the production company is the one that gets the lion's share of the syndication revenues). So that's why the networks rely mostly on in-house programs. And it's a reason why the Fox network might reduce the number of scripted shows it airs.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

I just have to say, tonight's show was one HELL of an episode.

And without spoiling anything, was that one musical riff an exact take from The Wrath of Khan?
Old 04-25-2019, 09:14 PM

I was underwhelmed.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:43 PM

If it's cancelled maybe a letter writing campaign would change their minds. Seems to me there was a science fiction show once that was cancelled after its second season and when the network was deluged with letters they brought it back.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:52 PM

I thought they handled the storyline quite well tonight. Made for a worthy finale to the season.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
I thought they handled the storyline quite well tonight. Made for a worthy finale to the season.
I'd agree.

See... I'm a huge Marvel fan, since Spider-Man #1. Have not been able to wait for Avengers:Endust tonight, was planning to buy one of the few single seats way out on the edge of the theater that are left.

But I stayed home to watch the Orville -- and see how they wrapped up the storyline they'd set up.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:01 AM

To me, it brought back memories of sitting through season 3 of Enterprise. There were moments here and there, but, on the whole, it was pretty trite and unimaginative. I mean, the Marianas Trench? Really?
Old 04-26-2019, 03:13 AM

I would actually not name the trench as one of the problems with the episode. I was more rolling my eyes at the heavy “Empire Strikes Back” vibe, as well as going to such an extreme with the trope of the bad guys not being able to shoot straight.

It wasn’t terrible, but it does diminish the previous episode a bit by association, which is too bad because on its own that was one of my very favorites. And I would have been fine with their just leaving that ending as it stood, without revisiting it. But I guess people who expect time travel to involve a single timeline would have been confused or unsatisfied with that.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:38 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

A replicator that looks like a microwave. Silly at first, but I'm sure a household appliance would look like that.

Does anyone have names and addresses for a write in campaign?
Old 04-26-2019, 08:20 AM

It just seemed overdone to me. Like they still had a whole buncha money in their special effects budget, so by damn we're gonna spend it all. And so we got gun fights on the planet and space ship battles and what seemed like hours dodging through an asteroid belt or whatever that was.

And I don't even know what to say of them just entering the horizon of a black hole "a little bit" to hide from the Kaylons, and then emerge without even having blown a battery on an old space freighter?

And then every bit of life dead on Earth, even on the bottom of the deepest sea, except for one person who of course just happens to be Bortus.

And on and on.

Last week's episode, though not perfect, was clever and thoughtful with a point to make. This one was, well, really bad. Tons of cliches wrapped in a bunch of special effects to make you go OOOOH! instead of thinking.

And it didn't even fit the tone of the rest of the series. This felt like a homage to Star Wars instead of Star Trek.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I didn't realize the show hadn't been renewed for a third season. Maybe they can come to an agreement -- renew for a third season, but fewer Moclan-centric episodes.

Good finale, although yeah I had problems with a robot army that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. And I think my wife got tired of me figuring out plot points before she did. ("The dead Kaylon!" "Bortus!")
Old 04-26-2019, 08:31 AM

So I was on the right track - without his failed marriage to Kelly, Ed never got a ship, he just got stuck in an admin job in charge of a starbase. Not the failed career Picard had, but not Ed's dream either.

The black hole part had me scratching my head as well. When they got into the whole time compression thing, I thought they were going to use that to go back in time, instead of the original plan of finding the crashed but still somehow perfectly usable Orville.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Some websites track which shows are renewed, which are cancelled or ending and which are still up in the air. The ones I checked listed this show as still up in the air.

As for the episode, fun enough, but it's a little weird that the exact same crew got together in a parallel universe. Wouldn't there have been some different people?

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 04-26-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:46 AM

It was fine.

As someone who expected that the result of Kelly's coming back with foreknowledge would be Kaylon supremacy, I'm a bit surprised they played it as Kelly not even having tried to warn the Union about the Kaylon's plans, Cassandra-like.

And a bit odd for that time line's Ed and Kelly to have such strong feelings for each other after just one fun date from Ed's POV and a sort of two from Kelly's personal time line.

The ep seem less a Trek or a Star Wars homage than one to "It's a Wonderful Life" ...

I did like that new time line Ed would also go to "open up this jar of pickles" though.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Some websites track which shows are renewed, which are cancelled or ending and which are still up in the air. The ones I checked listed this show as still up in the air.

As for the episode, fun enough, but it's a little weird that the exact same crew got together in a parallel universe. Wouldn't there have been some different people?
I think Dr Finn was NOT in that time line's crew (thus was not there to influence Issac). But yeah, Gordon was only on board because Ed wanted him and shouldn't have been there, and Talla seems like a crew choice that might not have happened in an Ed-less Orville.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It was a little weird that Victor Laszlo was fighting for the Czech resistance, escaped from a Nazi concentration camp, made his way to Paris, reunited with his wife, eluded the Nazis again while they made their escape to Casablanca, and somehow ended up in a gin joint with his wife's ex-boyfriend, who happened to have just the thing the couple needed to get to a free country where they could continue La Resistance.

Problem?
Old 04-26-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

I thought they did a generally good job of it. They did deal with the ramifications of Kelly saying no to Ed in the previous episode. Some thoughts and nitpicks:

1. If you go beyond the event horizon in a black hole, nothing gets out.
2. "It's at the bottom of the Pacific." Me: in the Marianas Trench, no doubt. -- Vindicated!
3. They're going to have a massive case of the bends.
4. Loved seeing Alara.

Definitely hope it gets renewed.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 04-26-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:

The crew was separated until Kelly brought them together. Yaphit, Bortus,Alara and Lamarr had been on the Orville before Ed got there, so they were there without Ed. Finn and Gordon (and Kelly) came because of Ed, so in the alternate universe they weren't in the Orville.

I'm comfortable with the idea the the impact of Ed and Kelly not getting married was pretty minor until the Captaincy of the Orville became an issue.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Right way, wrong way, Janeway.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
I thought they did a generally good job of it. They did deal with the ramifications of Kelly saying no to Ed in the previous episode. Some thoughts and nitpicks:

1. If you go beyond the event horizon in a black hole, nothing gets out.

The event horizon is where the escape velocity exceeds the velocity of light.

That's less of a concern when you have the technology to travel faster than light.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post

That's less of a concern when you have the technology to travel faster than light.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
As someone who expected that the result of Kelly's coming back with foreknowledge would be Kaylon supremacy, I'm a bit surprised they played it as Kelly not even having tried to warn the Union about the Kaylon's plans, Cassandra-like.
Did young Kelly know about the Kaylons? Seems like most of that episode was focused on her and her relationship to Ed. They wouldn't have briefed her, of course, because they intended to wipe her memory.

Did the Kaylons appear last episode?
Old 04-26-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post

Which, of course, means that the Kaylon not checking inside calls their vaunted intelligence into question.

(Also, their ship can handle being in the event horizon of a black hole, but not under a few miles of water?)
Old 04-26-2019, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Fair enough.

Did young Kelly know about the Kaylons? Seems like most of that episode was focused on her and her relationship to Ed. They wouldn't have briefed her, of course, because they intended to wipe her memory.

Yes, they hid from the Kaylons in ice.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Right way, wrong way, Janeway.
People who dislike Admiral Janeway are found to have issues with their Mothers.

This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
We saw the end of a discussion where we hear Lt kelly say something to the effect of "and he betrayed his people?" So she knew the details of the Kaylon war.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mercer said, "When in doubt, tell the truth" concerning the relationship, but I don't know if they told her about the present and the Kaylons.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
People who dislike Admiral Janeway are found to have issues with their Mothers.
My mother? I'll tell you about my mother
Old 04-26-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
3. They're going to have a massive case of the bends.

I don't think so. Everyone stayed at 1 atmospheric pressure inside the ship.

But the ship would have only been designed for a little over 1 atmosphere since that's all it would have to contain in space. (Although I can fanwank that the ship was built to be able to land on other, possibly higher ATM planets, and/or structural integrity field generator thingee.)
Old 04-26-2019, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
We saw the end of a discussion where we hear Lt kelly say something to the effect of "and he betrayed his people?" So she knew the details of the Kaylon war.
Quote:
Mercer said, "When in doubt, tell the truth" concerning the relationship, but I don't know if they told her about the present and the Kaylons.
Let's go to the tape. 23:45, when Ed and Lt. Kelly are having dinner.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lare View Post
I don't think so. Everyone stayed at 1 atmospheric pressure inside the ship.

But the ship would have only been designed for a little over 1 atmosphere since that's all it would have to contain in space. (Although I can fanwank that the ship was built to be able to land on other, possibly higher ATM planets, and/or structural integrity field generator thingee.)
Fry: How many atmospheres can the ship withstand?

Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Well, it's a space ship, so I'd say anywhere between zero and one.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Fry: How many atmospheres can the ship withstand?

Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Well, it's a space ship, so I'd say anywhere between zero and one.

I was trying to remember that! Thank you.

Last edited by Lare; 04-26-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Vindicated! [does happy dance}
Old 04-26-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
It was a hugely dramatic event that happened a few months earlier - it must be a major topic of conversation bound to come up when a fresh set of ears is around to listen to the stories.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lare View Post
Don't forget, when Ed took Alara to Xelaya, he was nearly crushed by the planet's gravity, while the shuttle was protected by its shields/field generator/unobtanium hull/whatever. The shuttle (therefore, the ship itself) obviously can handle more than just Earth conditions, so why shouldn't it be designed to withstand intense pressure, particularly when real-life Earthlings built a ship in 1960 that carried real-life humans to the bottom of the Mariana trench and back.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don't forget, when Ed took Alara to Xelaya, he was nearly crushed by the planet's gravity, while the shuttle was protected by its shields/field generator/unobtanium hull/whatever. The shuttle (therefore, the ship itself) obviously can handle more than just Earth conditions, so why shouldn't it be designed to withstand intense pressure, particularly when real-life Earthlings built a ship in 1960 that carried real-life humans to the bottom of the Mariana trench and back.
What kind of stress does FTL put on the hull? What stresses are caused by the event horizon of a black hole?
Old 04-26-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
What kind of stress does FTL put on the hull? What stresses are caused by the event horizon of a black hole?
I don't know about FTL, but an event horizon itself causes no effect (it's an important threshold, but doesn't have any physical effect other than being the point of no return). The tidal effects of a black hole can be very small if the hole is very massive (you read that right - a small black hole has large tidal effects, a large one has small tidal effects).
Old 04-26-2019, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
when real-life Earthlings built a ship in 1960 that carried real-life humans to the bottom of the Mariana trench and back.
For fifteen minutes?
Old 04-26-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For fifteen minutes?
Twenty minutes, but so what? The Orville is set 450 years after the Challenger expedition. Do you think we'll be able to travel faster than the speed of light, but won't have made advances in metallurgy and how long you can subject something to overpressurization?
Old 04-26-2019, 09:18 PM

I'm reminded of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTURAMA
Leela: Depth at 45 hundred feet, 48 hundred, 50 hundred! 5000 feet!

Farnsworth: Dear Lord, that's over 150 atmospheres of pressure.

Fry: How many atmospheres can this ship withstand?

Farnsworth: Well it's a spaceship, so I'd say anywhere between zero and one.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I'm reminded of this
Me, too.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
It was a little weird that Victor Laszlo was fighting for the Czech resistance, escaped from a Nazi concentration camp, made his way to Paris, reunited with his wife, eluded the Nazis again while they made their escape to Casablanca, and somehow ended up in a gin joint with his wife's ex-boyfriend, who happened to have just the thing the couple needed to get to a free country where they could continue La Resistance.

Problem?

Funny you mention that--my wife rented that movie this weekend. I don't hate it, but I would call it one of the most overrated movies ever. It's just okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
It was fine.

Oh crap, I didn't even think of that! As someone who has been heavily criticizing the plot holes on DISCO, I have to be consistent and do it here as well, even though I much prefer this show overall.

Quote:

I hadn't remembered their conversation about all the specifics, which kunilou nicely keyed in on, but I did recall that "young Kelly" was the one who saved them from getting destroyed by Kaylon ships thanks to her seeing the ice in Ed's glass and coming up with the plan to encase the Orville in ice.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:05 AM

Finally got around to seeing it.

I admit, from reading here I thought it would be stupid, but it was pretty good. I thought it would be a useless episode, a giant reset button of stupidity, but it wasn't. It was as good as Yesterday's Enterprise, if not even All Good Things. If this be the last episode, they made the most of it.

Still a glaring plot hole. Isaac's time travel experiments were after the events of the war. John's accessing memories that didn't exist.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 04-27-2019 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
This felt like a homage to Star Wars instead of Star Trek.
The bit with Yaphit at the door of the bunker was straight out of Return of the Jedi.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Twenty minutes, but so what? The Orville is set 450 years after the Challenger expedition. Do you think we'll be able to travel faster than the speed of light, but won't have made advances in metallurgy and how long you can subject something to overpressurization?
I was making a funny.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Perhaps when Kelly told an Admiral about going to the future and seeing Mercer, it was decided the she and Mercer weren't going to command anything.