Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 05-06-2019, 07:20 AM
RTFirefly is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,669
Apparently this edition of Infrastructure Week is DPTA* in the Senate.
Quote:
Every few months, President Donald Trump gets in the negotiating room with Democrats and everyone leaves happy — except for the president’s own party.

….This time, Republicans had to rein in the president from the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue since they didn’t have a seat at the table. But the message was basically the same: Trump’s tentative infrastructure agreement with Democrats is little more than a pipe dream that won’t go far in the GOP-controlled Senate.
I know y'all are absolutely shocked by this news.



*That's "Dead Prior To Arrival" because it was nowhere close to actually arriving in the Senate.
  #52  
Old 05-06-2019, 07:32 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,576
What a shock that Trump's words in public are pretty much meaningless in terms of what he actually intends to do in terms of policy.
  #53  
Old 05-06-2019, 10:29 AM
wguy123 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,110
When is the next scheduled "infrastructure week"?
  #54  
Old 05-06-2019, 12:16 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,409
I would imagine that Senate Republicans could get behind a big infrastructure bill if one of the following three criteria were met: 1) the bulk of the funding went towards things in red states, and/or 2) the bill was paid for by things like sales of federal lands, taxes on remittances to Mexico and Central America, or taxes paid mostly by blue 'tax donor' states, or 3) it contained funding for a border wall.
  #55  
Old 05-06-2019, 02:48 PM
Lance Turbo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I would imagine that Senate Republicans could get behind a big infrastructure bill if one of the following three criteria were met: 1) the bulk of the funding went towards things in red states, and/or 2) the bill was paid for by things like sales of federal lands, taxes on remittances to Mexico and Central America, or taxes paid mostly by blue 'tax donor' states, or 3) it contained funding for a border wall.
That's not how the current Republican party works. There is no more give a little to get a little. It's do what we want or do nothing at all.
  #56  
Old 05-06-2019, 02:58 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 9,138
And even if Trump was poised to sign it, he'll drop the pen if Ann Coulter calls him a pussy.
  #57  
Old 05-23-2019, 08:57 AM
wguy123 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
When is the next scheduled "infrastructure week"?
Looks like infrastructure week got postponed. Again. Shocker.
  #58  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:29 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 9,138
https://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/newsc....fit-2000w.jpg

Look at this knucklehead. In an unplanned, totally spontaneous press conference held after the unplanned storming out of the meeting about the infrastructure bill, Mr. Spontaneous is standing behind a sign that says: NO COLLUSION.
Good grief, y'all.
  #59  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:56 AM
Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
https://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/newsc....fit-2000w.jpg

Look at this knucklehead. In an unplanned, totally spontaneous press conference held after the unplanned storming out of the meeting about the infrastructure bill, Mr. Spontaneous is standing behind a sign that says: NO COLLUSION.
Good grief, y'all.
Even the sign layout is inept at conveying the message:

NO COLLUSION NO OBSTRUCTION

I suppose it could have been worse:

NO COLLUSION NO OBSTRUCTION
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #60  
Old 05-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Turek is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Inara's shuttle
Posts: 4,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Even the sign layout is inept at conveying the message:

NO COLLUSION NO OBSTRUCTION

I suppose it could have been worse:

NO COLLUSION NO OBSTRUCTION
Well what do you expect? They only had the 30 seconds between the time he spontaneously walked out of the meeting and the time he reached the reporters who just happened to be standing there to make up the signs!
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017