Old 06-23-2019, 03:12 PM

My WAG: all Enoch did was send people forward through time, which doesn't violate causality. Sending people back through time is a completely different issue.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:33 PM

I was watching this without my glasses. Can anyone tell me what was in the story book and it's title?

Also the make out joke was telegraphed from about ten kilometers away.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I was watching this without my glasses. Can anyone tell me what was in the story book and it's title?

It was a story about Simmons search for Fitz. When he closed it the book was the Darkhold.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post

True - but it was still funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
It was a story about Simmons search for Fitz. When he closed it the book was the Darkhold.
Yep - the evil book that created so much trouble a few seasons back.

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit.

Hopefully back on Earth they'll resolve the "we've got two groups fighting each other who have plenty of reason to be working together instead" issue fairly quickly.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:43 PM

I liked how (Ringu)Simmons had traces of gold on her forehead, as a reminder of her nightmarish Kree slave days.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I liked how (Ringu)Simmons had traces of gold on her forehead, as a reminder of her nightmarish Kree slave days.
Didn't catch that. Cool.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:59 AM

Standing O for the actors playing Fitz and Simmons in that one. One of my favorite episodes of the series.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:24 AM

I like how Fitz decided that mentioning Aida would bring back Simmons to the adult version of herself. I thought that was funny.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:14 AM

So the end of Enoch, and FitzSimmons will be back on Earth soon? I think the show is about to take a turn downhill.

And the utter stupidity of putting both Shrikers in the same isolation module was just terrible writing. Especially since earlier in the episode they stated that the two targets were traveling towards each other. Why would you put them in the same room?
Old 07-03-2019, 05:49 PM

Does anyone think that A-Hole Coulson (as the wife puts it) will be a permanent thing, or does he get somehow made back into The Original Coulsen by seasons end?
Old 07-15-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
Does anyone think that A-Hole Coulson (as the wife puts it) will be a permanent thing, or does he get somehow made back into The Original Coulsen by seasons end?
From the end of the last episode, it sure looks like A-Hole Coulson isn't going to stay on after all. But the crazy Deke humper will?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:14 AM

I just got caught up over the weekend and boy am I disappointed.

- Let's jump on this spaceship headed for earth with unknown space lady without asking any questions about who, what, when, where or why she is going to earth. Brilliant!
- Evil alien bird parasites are trying to meet up with each other to carry out some unknown nefarious plan. Hey, why don't we just swoop down, capture them and put them together in the same room? That sounds like a smart idea!
- Mac trying to have a battle of wits with NotCoulson by telling him everything SHIELD knows and all of their future plans. Yeah, that will totally work!
- The only funny part over the last few episodes was Mac hugging Fitz like he was his favorite toy.

What the hell happened to all of my cool SHIELD people? No interesting plot line(s), no interesting villains, no witty rejoinders...It's like they beat everyone over the head with the stupid stick just to make the plot move forward.

If this is what I can expect moving forward I think I'm going to pretend they ended the series last year.

Last edited by BeagleJesus; 07-15-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:34 AM

I'm still waiting for the Ghost Rider hammer to drop. Thats why Coulson died anyway, right? Didn't the Ghost Rider take out the Kree Magic Stuff that kept him alive in the first place?
Old 07-15-2019, 12:25 PM

An amusing moment in this week's episode: Simmons calls Earth and gives the code word for duress to Davis, who replies with the same code word, since he's under duress as well.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the Ghost Rider hammer to drop.
I watch this show with my dad and after pretty much every episode he says "I miss Ghost Rider, they should bring Ghost Rider back." So I'm hoping he shows back up again, if only for his sake.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
I watch this show with my dad and after pretty much every episode he says "I miss Ghost Rider, they should bring Ghost Rider back." So I'm hoping he shows back up again, if only for his sake.
My wife concurs with you on this one.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
My wife concurs with you on this one.
Not sure if you saw my earlier post, but they're making a Ghost Rider spinoff:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/1/18...vel-shows-2020
Old 07-19-2019, 11:18 AM

Next season will be the last

Considering this show has been on the verge of being cancelled since the second episode, this is pretty impressive. Hopefully they stick the landing and give the show a good sense of closure.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:00 PM

Everybody's picking on the writers having Yo-yo fail to stop the Shrike, but it's even stupider than has been described, if that's possible. Leaving self-sacrifice aside for the moment, there's really only one personal fear that would stop her from grabbing the Shrike at super-speed: fear of somehow getting infected herself by touching it. A valid fear for everyone on the show -- unless you have metal hands.

And yes, I would expect every role-playing group I've ever known to immediately reject the idea of putting the two monsters desperately traveling toward each other in the same room together.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:14 PM

Kind of a "meh" ending. I think the problem is that Izel was just a really weak character. We never really got a sense of her motivation. Why was she destroying a bunch of worlds with the Shrike? Sarge and his crew were far more interesting, and they got killed off halfway through the season.

Also a bit of a cop-out at the end having May, Yo-yo, and "Coulson" all live. I'm guessing if this was going to be the final season May's death would've been final.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:11 PM

May is my wife and I's favorite character. Her end seemed rough, but it would seem to me that A-Hole-Coulson would have known that tossing her to the other side of the portal with a big ass "other side guy killing sword" would cause her to kill everyone on the other side. Maybe that was his plan all along. Her coming back brought the death on.

I did feel that Izel was kind of weak, and time killer for the Chromacron folks to get heir shit together. I wonder how long Fitz and Simmons were working on the rescue. It seems like they were older than they should have been when they showed up.

Does anyone know when the next season starts? I was under the impression that they were going to be back to back, since if you add both 6 and 7 together its as long as one season would normally have been.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know when the next season starts? I was under the impression that they were going to be back to back, since if you add both 6 and 7 together its as long as one season would normally have been.
Probably not until next summer. They just finished filming.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:48 PM

So, no Snap?
Old 08-06-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
Everybody's picking on the writers having Yo-yo fail to stop the Shrike, but it's even stupider than has been described, if that's possible. Leaving self-sacrifice aside for the moment, there's really only one personal fear that would stop her from grabbing the Shrike at super-speed: fear of somehow getting infected herself by touching it. A valid fear for everyone on the show -- unless you have metal hands.

And yes, I would expect every role-playing group I've ever known to immediately reject the idea of putting the two monsters desperately traveling toward each other in the same room together.
In the finale it's even worse - a Shrike goes down her own threat, and she doesn't bother to try to pull it out, or superspeed away from it first, or anything. So very speedy, but terrible reaction time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
So, no Snap?
Nope. Not even a hint. And it looks like next season is set in the future, just dystopian instead of apocalyptic.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
And it looks like next season is set in the future, just dystopian instead of apocalyptic.
Not sure where you got that. It was pretty clearly set up to be in the past, what with the Empire State Building under construction, and Daisy's crack about Prohibition.

Wasn't loving this season until "Inescapable", but it took a big upturn from there. I do wish the Izel and Sarge thing got a bit better of a resolution. After building up the idea that there was still some Coulson in him, that got discarded fast once he hit the temple. Part of it was also that Izel was a bit of a dud as an antagonist. I don't know if a better actress could have made something more memorable, but she was no Ada, or Ward, or Talbot, or Cal, or Whitehall.... Even Ruby was more interesting, and I didn't really think much of her at the time.

But other than that, both parts of the finale were badass, and I loved seeing endearing Deke rather than goofy for goofy's sake Deke. I don't think his character was handled very well earlier in the season, but that rant before he jumped away with the "Shaw Drive" was perfect.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
In the finale it's even worse - a Shrike goes down her own threat, and she doesn't bother to try to pull it out, or superspeed away from it first, or anything. So very speedy, but terrible reaction time.
The barely mention it anymore, but isn't part of her powers that she has to hold her breath to get super speed? Probably hard to do that when a bat is going down your throat.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:03 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
The barely mention it anymore, but isn't part of her powers that she has to hold her breath to get super speed? Probably hard to do that when a bat is going down your throat.
IIRC, the thing is that she can only run as far as one breath would take her, and she had to come back to where she started, but I don't remember holding her breath to be part of it.

That does seem to be something Thunder on Black Lightning has to do, though maybe she's figuring out how not to.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:13 PM

It seemed like the creators were really in the groove with Season 4 being broken up into definite plot arcs, and Season 5, while it took a bit to get going, ended strong (and I think would've served great as a series finale). So I had some high hopes for this one, especially since it seemed to have a good setup - one half of the group in space finding Fitz (and Enoch), the other half on Earth dealing with Izel, and coming up with a good reason to keep Clark Gregg on the show without cheapening Coulson's (second) death.

Turned out to not be bad, but not great either. The writing was uneven (episode 3 with Daisy/Simmons' trip was pretty bad) and the ending felt a bit... abrupt? The sudden re-entry of the Chronicoms into the plot in the final few episodes came and went too quickly, and the actual resolution of the Izel threat was definitely too easy (they win because... Izel turns her back on May and gets stabbed? Did I miss a reason why she did that?) At least they ended up offing Coulson; I was really worried in the last few episodes they would use it as a way to bring him back (possibly with a season-long plotline of him regaining his memories). Having an LMD Coulson for next season is a much better move, I think, since I really want to avoid them undoing his death.

I kinda wish they had been able to keep at least one of Sarge's crew around... Jaco would've fit in well. I definitely agree that Sarge & crew were much more interesting than Izel.

We'll see how next season goes, I can't say the setting (late 1920s) is especially exciting to me. Helps cut down on the set costs, I suppose. Simmons was talking really weird at the end - I started wondering if she and Fitz got turned into Chronicoms or something. (Did we see Deke at all after he landed the quinjet?)

Last edited by magnusblitz; 08-07-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoron View Post
Not sure where you got that. It was pretty clearly set up to be in the past, what with the Empire State Building under construction, and Daisy's crack about Prohibition.
D'oh! That makes a lot more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
IIRC, the thing is that she can only run as far as one breath would take her, and she had to come back to where she started, but I don't remember holding her breath to be part of it.

That does seem to be something Thunder on Black Lightning has to do, though maybe she's figuring out how not to.
She can only go as far as she can get in one heartbeat, not one breath.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:52 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
She can only go as far as she can get in one heartbeat, not one breath.
I stand corrected. Still, she doesn't have to hold her breath to get to speed, though, right?
Old 08-08-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I kinda wish they had been able to keep at least one of Sarge's crew around... Jaco would've fit in well.
I think Snow is still unaccounted for. Her shtick got old fast, IMHO, but I wouldn't be surprised to see her show up next season at least once. She was last seen getting locked up at the Lighthouse, but there's no reason to believe the Chronicoms would have cared to kill her, since she's obviously not SHIELD. Or she might have been transferred to another prison, if the Lighthouse got destroyed like Izel's temple did, (I think Simmons just said "we lost the lighthouse" so it's unclear. It might be intact and under Chronicom control).

Quote:
We'll see how next season goes, I can't say the setting (late 1920s) is especially exciting to me.
I'm not sure they'll stay in that time for the whole season. They effectively have a TARDIS now. (Which Jemma, a known Whovian, had better mention at some point.) I'm assuming next season, or at least part of it, is a Quantum Leap/Evil Leaper-esque chase through time, using LMD Coulson's knowledge to stop the Chronicoms from destroying SHIELD targets at different times in history.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoron View Post

I'm not sure they'll stay in that time for the whole season. They effectively have a TARDIS now. (Which Jemma, a known Whovian, had better mention at some point.) I'm assuming next season, or at least part of it, is a Quantum Leap/Evil Leaper-esque chase through time, using LMD Coulson's knowledge to stop the Chronicoms from destroying SHIELD targets at different times in history.
I'm sure they'll be jumping around.

Casting spoiler for next season.
SPOILER:
They've confirmed Peggy Carter will appear.