Old 07-19-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Keith David and David Keith
No way. It's like night and day between the two!

For the old timers, how about James Farentino, James Franciscus and Tony Franciosa? ver see them in the same TV show together? I rest my case.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
<snip> Years ago, Elizabeth Banks had a small part on Modern Family as a crass, party girl type. I was so distracted by trying to determine if it was EB or Chelsea Handler that I missed the whole point of the storyline.
Oh, yeah, I can see that.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

I get Michelle Pfeiffer and Nicole Kidman mixed up, and I'm not sure why. I was so struck by how similar "her" roles were in Ant-Man and the Wasp and Aquaman, until I realized that she was they.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
No way. It's like night and day between the two!

I know Keith David is black and David Keith is white. I was just joking about their names being reversed.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I know Keith David is black and David Keith is white. I was just joking about their names being reversed.
Me too!

But when both they and I were younger, I wasn't even sure there were two different people. I'd see the names and think, is that a typo? Or did I remember it wrong?

Like John Wayne and John Payne. Or like, is Michael B. Jordan the son of Michael Jordan?

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 07-19-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:08 PM

It is quite obvious that Amy Adams and Isla Fisher is just one person using two names.

Here is Isla talking about it on Jimmy Kimmel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0O_5lVrMfs
Old 07-19-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
There is an actor named Howard Sherman who is married to Sela Ward. Then there is an actor named Sherman Howard who was Bub (the Zombie) in, "Day of the Dead (1985)," and is not married to Sela Ward. To add to the confusion, Sherman ("Bub") Howard's real name is Howard Sherman, but he was still never married to Sela Ward.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:42 PM

Danny DeVito and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:58 AM

^ Explains a lot.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:04 AM

Theresa Russell and Natasha Richardson. There may even be a closer match for Russell but I'm drawing a blank.

Last edited by E-DUB; 07-20-2019 at 09:05 AM. Reason: add last sentence
Old 07-20-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

This Saturday Night Live monologue is about how people confuse the four Chrises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGurtL83zhY
Old 07-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

It took me a while to realize that Alexander Siddig (Dr. Bashir) and James Callis (Dr. Baltar) were two different people.

I also did the same with Emma Stone and Jane Levy.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:50 AM

For me it's Jessica Alba and Halle Berry
Old 07-20-2019, 12:01 PM

With the body of work both have acquired since the beginnings of their careers it may sound silly, but at one time Michael Keaton and Tom Hanks were completely indistinguishable to me. They were both dark haired over the top comedic actors who had never been dark or serious at all. They were both often cast as quirky, scenery chewing leading men whom were appealing for their charming antics.

For those who saw them when originally released, without looking it up – can you say which actor was in BACHELOR PARTY? How about GUNG HO, or NIGHT SHIFT? Try to remember THE MONEY PIT or MR.MOM (that one is easier for me – by then I was beginning to see the difference). Was either of them in DRAGNET? If so which one? Which one had reoccurring roles in established TV sitcoms? (Of course they both did.) Which was the lead or co-lead in a TV show?

Even if you know which guy played each role, could you picture the other guy playing that role? Would it change the picture at all?

Last edited by Temporary Name; 07-20-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:47 PM

Ryan Gossling and Ryan Reynolds. It doesn't help that they share the same first name, either.

Now looking at them, I still can't remember who's who.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:41 AM

Ah gotta love ressurected threads where 90% of the links are dead.

For me recently, I was 100% convinced that Eltons father in Rocketman, played by Stephen Mckintosh was actually Neil Patrick Harris with a bit of old age makeup.

When I watched the Lost in Space reboot, I thought Parker Posey was Ally Sheedy.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:09 AM
Charter Member

Not only do Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds look alike and have the same first name, but they are both Canadian. This made me wonder if Ryan is a more common name in the Canada than in other English-speaking countries. This appears to be true:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appen...mes_by_country

I wonder what other names are more common in Canada than in other English-speaking countries. Lorne seems to be one such. In fact, Lorne seems to be rare outside Canada.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary Name View Post
With the body of work both have acquired since the beginnings of their careers it may sound silly, but at one time Michael Keaton and Tom Hanks were completely indistinguishable to me. They were both dark haired over the top comedic actors who had never been dark or serious at all. They were both often cast as quirky, scenery chewing leading men whom were appealing for their charming antics.

For those who saw them when originally released, without looking it up – can you say which actor was in BACHELOR PARTY? How about GUNG HO, or NIGHT SHIFT? Try to remember THE MONEY PIT or MR.MOM (that one is easier for me – by then I was beginning to see the difference). Was either of them in DRAGNET? If so which one? Which one had reoccurring roles in established TV sitcoms? (Of course they both did.) Which was the lead or co-lead in a TV show?

Even if you know which guy played each role, could you picture the other guy playing that role? Would it change the picture at all?
Pfffft. Just try to remember which Michael is in which movie when you are talking about Misters McKean, Keaton, Ontkean and O'Keefe.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:40 AM

I confuse Michael Ontkean and John Shea. I looked them up once to find out if they were brothers, and was surprised they weren't but both their IMDb pages had threads about how they looked alike (back when there were commentaries); apparently a lot of people confuse them.

Something I've never understood is people who say they confuse Kristen Johnston and Kirstie Alley. I totally don't get that. Kristen Johnston is six feet tall, while Kirstie Alley is only about 5'7, and more importantly, Kirstie Alley is almost old enough to be Kristen Johnston's mother. Seriously, there's like a 16-year age difference between them. And their faces look very different to me. Maybe because I'm sensitive about noses, though (it's a Jewish thing), but Alley has a slightly prominent, but very straight and statuesque Greek nose, and Johnston has an adorable pug nose. Really, the ONLY thing they have in common is green-gray eyes, that are a little unusual, but so does Meg Foster, who, when she was young, looked way more like Kirstie Alley than Johnston ever did (and Foster and Alley are the same height). But I've never heard of Foster and Alley being confused.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post

Years ago, Elizabeth Banks had a small part on Modern Family as a crass, party girl type. I was so distracted by trying to determine if it was EB or Chelsea Handler that I missed the whole point of the storyline.
I'm pretty sure that was Rachel McAdam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Theresa Russell and Natasha Richardson. There may even be a closer match for Russell but I'm drawing a blank.
Rebecca De Mornay, maybe? I used to always get them confused.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Yesterday I was rewatching "Airplane!" for the millionth time. One of the Hare Krishna characters is played by David Leisure (of the old Joe Isuzu commercials). I remember when the movie first came out, I thought for sure that was Harrison Ford.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:40 AM

Sigourney Weaver and Susan Sarandon are probably the same person.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

I have a theory about why Kristie Alley and Kirsten Johnston could get confused. Yes, they do look vaguely alike and have first names that are similar. What's more, they are mostly known as comedic supporting actors. Most of the time people don't remember precisely how tall some actor is. But it's also true that they are half a generation apart in age. (No, they aren't a generation apart in age. It's rare for well-known actors to have children at 16 years and eight months. Twice that amount, 33 years and four months, is reasonably common though).

I think what happens is that one actor's career will slow down in their late thirties and another actor in their early twenties will have their career pick up right then. With some resemblance between them, people who haven't followed the career of the older actor closely will wonder if this person they're now seeing is the same person as the one they vaguely remember. The one they're now seeing on TV or in movies looks a little too young, but then a lot of actors will get facial plastic surgery. This would explain why someone would not only look young for their age but also noticeably different. People who don't follow actor's careers very closely could easily get confused.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:48 AM

For years I thought that Richard Riehle (Tom Smykowski from Office Space) and Brian Doyle Murray were the same person.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:59 AM

A J Cook and Rachel Nichols are the same person.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
I have a theory about why Kristie Alley and Kirsten Johnston could get confused. Yes, they do look vaguely alike and have first names that are similar. What's more, they are mostly known as comedic supporting actors. Most of the time people don't remember precisely how tall some actor is. But it's also true that they are half a generation apart in age. (No, they aren't a generation apart in age. It's rare for well-known actors to have children at 16 years and eight months. Twice that amount, 33 years and four months, is reasonably common though).

I think what happens is that one actor's career will slow down in their late thirties and another actor in their early twenties will have their career pick up right then. With some resemblance between them, people who haven't followed the career of the older actor closely will wonder if this person they're now seeing is the same person as the one they vaguely remember. The one they're now seeing on TV or in movies looks a little too young, but then a lot of actors will get facial plastic surgery. This would explain why someone would not only look young for their age but also noticeably different. People who don't follow actor's careers very closely could easily get confused.
Another contributing factor could be the fact that CHEERS was in reruns for a looooong time, perhaps while 3rd ROCK was in production so the age difference might have been mitigated by seeing them when they were only a few years apart in age on the very same day.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
A J Cook and Rachel Nichols are the same person.
I had to look them up, but I concur; Cook is the blonde version and Nichols is the dark haired alter ego.
They should do a remake of BEWITCHED and have Cook play Samantha and Nichols play a much more prominent Serena. (As a youth, Serena showing up once or twice a season was not nearly enough! Serena should have been a cast regular.)
Old 07-21-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezman View Post
For years I thought that Richard Riehle (Tom Smykowski from Office Space) and Brian Doyle Murray were the same person.
I can see where someone would make that mistake, but to me there is a distinction. Murray is the old bald guy who is funny because he is frustrated by incompetence around him, Riehle is a befuddled old bald guy who is funny because he frustrates those around him. Perhaps they are Yin and Yan of the comedic old bald guy universe- if one of them dies, the other will just disappear.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Here's a section of an episode with both Kirstie Alley and Kristen Johnston:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toSOck9ptto

It's the January 29, 2014 episode of the show Kirstie titled "Maddie vs. Maddie", which was on the pay television channel TV Land.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:57 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

I've confused so many other actors with Raul Julia that my wife has decided I have a mild form of face blindness.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:20 PM

After a couple rounds Yul Brynner and Richard Kind venn together quite seamlessly.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:16 PM

I always got Steve McQueen and Paul Newman confused. I have no idea why.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
Here's a section of an episode with both Kirstie Alley and Kristen Johnston:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toSOck9ptto

It's the January 29, 2014 episode of the show Kirstie titled "Maddie vs. Maddie", which was on the pay television channel TV Land.
I think they look SO different there. KA is wearing three inch heels, and KJ is barefoot, and there's still a significant height difference. Their hair parts on different sides, and it's different colors, and if you look at KA's hands, they look old, really old. I don't care what she's done to her face, her hands give away her real age. Plus, their figures are very different. Aside from the fact that KJ is way thinner here, when she does gain weight later in her career, their proportions are completely different. Also, KJ has a very, very animate face-- it's crazy animate, and I was an American Sign Language interpreter for 15 years, so I know what I'm talking about. KA, for a comedy actress, really doesn't have an animate face at all-- it's moreso than a person off the street, but she's supposed to use her face for a living.

The only thing really similar about them is their eyes, which, granted, is probably the feature people look at the most.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Sigourney Weaver and Susan Sarandon are probably the same person.
Really? One has lips, the other does not.

But they’re both awesome.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary Name View Post
I had to look them up, but I concur; Cook is the blonde version and Nichols is the dark haired alter ego.
They should do a remake of BEWITCHED and have Cook play Samantha and Nichols play a much more prominent Serena. (As a youth, Serena showing up once or twice a season was not nearly enough! Serena should have been a cast regular.)
When they booted AJ Cook and Paget Brewster from Criminal Minds they hired Rachel Nichols, who went blonde for the role. I had missed the whole firing/hiring news (and ignored opening credits) and was very confused when the characters started calling JJ Ashley Seaver.

Last edited by kitap; 07-22-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:46 AM

I totally forgot about Katy Perry and Zooey Deschanel. Have they ever been seen in the same room together?
Old 07-22-2019, 07:46 AM

I kept getting two characters in Westworld mixed up - the douchebag brother-in-law and the Mexican outlaw. Both actors looked alike. They had similar builds and facial hair. I kept thinking it was one robot assigned two character roles.

Well, they kept changing time periods, and I lost track of the flashbacks, and sometimes robots got reassigned, and the same model could be used for a different world, so...
Old 07-22-2019, 07:57 AM

For me it was Jim Gaffigan and James Corden. I thought it was the same guy until I heard Corden speak one day. Oops.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:32 AM

Jessica Chastain and Bryce Dallas Howard.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Opie apparently also has this problem.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:07 AM

Vin Diesel and The Rock.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:27 AM
SDSAB

Gerard Butler and Clive Owen
Amy Adams and Isla Fisher
Lance Reddick and Idris Elba
Sarah Hyland and Mila Kunis
Elisabeth Shue and Elizabeth Banks

Quote:
Yeah, that's actually become A Thing: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...-dallas-howard
Old 07-22-2019, 01:52 PM

I saw 36 Hours when it came out in 1965. For years, I thought the main Nazi was played by Arthur Hill. Imagine my surprise 50 years later to find the actor was actually Rod Taylor!

Watching shows like Columbo back in the '70s, I always used to confuse Patrick O'Neal and Peter Lawford.

There was a guy back in the '60s and '70s who used to do "... And it costs no more!" types of commercials and was a ringer for perennial game show host/panelist Bill Cullen. I don't think I ever found out what his name was.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:19 PM

Jennifer Garner and Jennifer Connelly.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:30 PM

Lance Henrickson (Millenium, Bishop from Alien) and Tobin Bell (Saw)
Old 07-22-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
BAnna Friel and Haylay Atwell. Maybe they're both just English brunettes, but I can barely tell them apart.
Other than the "English brunette" part, I just can't see it. For one thing, completely different body types. Both gorgeous, regardless.

---

Musicians rather than actors, but...

I was sure Leon Redbone was Frank Zappa playing a gag on us (a la Andy Kaufman with his "Tony Clifton" character). Then Frank had to spoil the joke by dying sixteen years before Leon. Some people...
Old 07-22-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Only one of this pair is an actress, but I thought a lesson that any party should have learned from the 2008 presidential election was that you should never nominate someone who's a dead ringer for a comedian who can parody them on TV during the election season. Almost immediately after Sarah Palin was chosen as the Republican vice-presidential nominee, well before the first Saturday Night Live sketch about her, I heard people talking about how much she looked like Tina Fey. The only difference was a change in the glasses.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Fairly easy, IMHO. One of them's one of the most beautiful, talented women in movies, and the other is Opie's kid.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:05 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Fairly easy, IMHO. One of them's one of the most beautiful, talented women in movies, and the other is Opie's kid.
You seem to have a more discerning eye than even they do.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
I always got Steve McQueen and Paul Newman confused. I have no idea why.
It's the blue eyes.

They're both in The Towering Inferno, which proves they're not the same person.

But to me, they look nothing alike.