Old 08-11-2019, 03:22 PM

Take a sip from a mug. See that little drop? What is that?

I hate to do this to you all, but I have to know.

Okay, so I have a mug of coffee. Nice and hot and delicious. I take a sip of the coffee. When I take my lips away from the mug, there is a little drop of coffee on the outside rim of the mug. No matter how I contort my lips during or after the sip, I cannot take a sip of coffee without leaving that little drop.

It is driving me crazy. Why is this? Am I doing it wrong? Does it happen to you? Would it happen if the mug were square?
Old 08-11-2019, 03:31 PM

I feel like there should be a snigglet for this...
Old 08-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Having looked up "snigglet," I must agree. I was hoping to get a whole swath of Dopers looking at their coffee cups, going crazy about that little droplet.

It could happen. Somebody on here once got thousands of people to see if their wedding ring would fit up their nose.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Easy, easy. All you have to do is wipe upwards and over the edge of the cup with your lower lip during the disengagement sequence. Completely fixes it.

Others may laugh, but down deep inside they're just pretending that drop doesn't eat at them.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:31 PM

My first thoughts have to do with the viscosity and surface tension, but then I recalled the bit about why coffee spills form rings - the coffee ring effect - and wonder if has something to do with coffee doing this in particular (if it does). That effect is due to coffee containing spherical particles and how they pack.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

It happens with tea, too.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

If you find out the answer to that, perhaps someone can tell me why, when you stir the milk and/or sugar into your hot drink and tap the spoon on the rim of the mug, the sound it makes goes up the scale as you tap.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
My first thoughts have to do with the viscosity and surface tension, but then I recalled the bit about why coffee spills form rings - the coffee ring effect - and wonder if has something to do with coffee doing this in particular (if it does). That effect is due to coffee containing spherical particles and how they pack.
No s**t? That is amazing! I thought maybe it had to do with mugs being (mostly) inherently round. I am frankly impressed that there is a scientific answer for this. Thank you!

doesn't help stop it though. dammit! hahaha
Old 08-11-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

My Indian relatives all tout their ability to drink from glasses and cups without letting their lips touch the glass. They do wo with water bottles too. I suppose that would avoid the droplet.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
If you find out the answer to that, perhaps someone can tell me why, when you stir the milk and/or sugar into your hot drink and tap the spoon on the rim of the mug, the sound it makes goes up the scale as you tap.
Perhaps, as the liquid is forced by tapping to leave the spoon, it changes the tone the spoon makes in tapping? (i.e., less deadening)
Old 08-11-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
My Indian relatives all tout their ability to drink from glasses and cups without letting their lips touch the glass. They do wo with water bottles too. I suppose that would avoid the droplet.
That is legendary.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Sounds like a variation of the hot chocolate effect.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brujaja View Post
That is legendary.
To be clear, their method is to tip the head back and pour the liquid into the mouth, instead of sipping from the glass or bottle.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
Sounds like a variation of the hot chocolate effect.
Whoa ... how did you even know about that? I mean, I've noticed it too subconsciously and accepted it as representing a natural aspect of physics or fluid dynamics or whatever. But I never would have suspected that it is a named phenomenon with its own wikipedia page.

Well done!
Old 08-11-2019, 09:15 PM

Whenever I have random or esoteric knowledge where I'm not sure of the provenance, chances are I read it on the straightdope at some time.

The master speaks.

Sorry, Chefguy, looks like you've asked it before.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:07 AM

So we need Rich Hall to give us a sniglet for the elusive drop then. Seeing as I misplaced his email again (as if...) I propose either miplet or lipdrip. FWIW, my favourite sniglet of all time has to be Essoasso, or the person that cuts through a gas station to avoid a red light.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
Whenever I have random or esoteric knowledge where I'm not sure of the provenance, chances are I read it on the straightdope at some time.

The master speaks.

Sorry, Chefguy, looks like you've asked it before.
And got the same answer.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
To be clear, their method is to tip the head back and pour the liquid into the mouth, instead of sipping from the glass or bottle.
I prefer a straw.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:18 AM

It seems to me that attending to this droplet would be the responsibility of your valet or "gentleman's gentleman". Following a sip, he should discreetly wipe the cup.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
It seems to me that attending to this droplet would be the responsibility of your valet or "gentleman's gentleman". Following a sip, he should discreetly wipe the cup.
So... a "two men, one cup," kind of thing.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:58 AM

Just make sure that your lips are touching the top of the rim from the start of the sip until the end of it. This might require you to lean over the cup at the start and end and drink like a deranged pigeon with lips, but it will prevent drops on the outside of the rim.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brujaja View Post
No s**t? That is amazing! I thought maybe it had to do with mugs being (mostly) inherently round. I am frankly impressed that there is a scientific answer for this. Thank you!

doesn't help stop it though. dammit! hahaha
Coffee gets a lot of nerd thought ...

Look at this of how a drop of cream hits hot coffee and why.

But this is the bit on coffee ring research that I thought might have something to do with this, if coffee indeed does this more than any other liquid.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
I feel like there should be a snigglet for this...
Dribblet?
Old 08-16-2019, 11:41 AM

Personally, when I add cream to coffee I let it stir via Brownian motion. It's cool to watch how it distributes itself, and is a model for the heat death of the Universe, so there's that.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's a straw, man.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post
Dribblet?
Liplet. Muglip. Mugdrop. Muglet. Rimdrop.