View Poll Results: Lame or not?
Lame, because reasons. 31 30.39%
Not lame! Why shouldn't I display my fanship? 71 69.61%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2019, 11:39 PM

I wore a Hard Rock Cafe tshirt of the location where the guitar player had donated a guitar.

Extra lame.

I wear what I feel like. If I'm going to wear a band tshirt, it will be for one of the bands I'm seeing.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:27 AM

Seeing Maiden on the 14th. I’ll probably wear the tour shirt I buy online instead of at the show.

Seeing Rush many times, the majority of tees were D’Addario, Gibson, Fender, Rickenbacker, Zildian, Tama, Pearl, Paiste...

Will wear Slayer shirt to Slayer’s 2nd to last show ever with Ministry, Primus, others. But if you wear a Megadeth or Metallica tee, it shows the metal brotherhood or “metalhood”, if you will.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
Scougs, there's a loophole on shirts for the current tour too. One woman we saw before the show at the restaurant was wearing a shirt from this tour, indicating that she'd already seen Maiden in a nearby city, and was now seeing them again. That would go along with the "Why shouldn't I show my fanship?" reasoning.
I agree with your loophole. Two years ago I was at the Rogers Waters "Us and Them" tour in Philadelphia. Last summer the tour came to the UK and I went to Glasgow both nights. One night I wore my Us and Them T shirt from Philly - yes, it was for the same tour, except it had "2017" on the back, and it was a design of shirt that they weren't selling in Glasgow. Bonus cool points.

The other night I wore my "The Wall Live" T shirt from May 2011.

Speaking of which, at The Wall Live in 2011, I spotted someone in a T Shirt from Pink Floyd The Wall at Earl's Court in 1981. She lost cool points by having to confess she'd been given it to wear, and wasn't actually there. (My shirt from 1981 is long gone, and a size I would be completely unable to wear now anyway........).
Old 08-22-2019, 08:14 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Wow, never heard of this dumb rule, and I'm now glad I've never seen PCH.

If I own a shirt of the band I'm going to see, I'm likely to wear it. And if I own the a shirt of the band I'm opening for, I'm absolutely going to wear it when I play. If you're the sort of person who worries about what someone else is wearing, making you avoid me because you think I'm uncool is just a bonus.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

I don't care what anyone wears, but I personally wouldn't wear the t-shirt of the band I'm seeing to the show, unless maybe it's a vintage shirt of some kind. That's just how I grew up.

That said, the only tee shirts I really have left are for bands that don't exist anymore or haven't toured in ages, so it doesn't really matter. I've never really worn band tee-shirts to shows even during the height of my live music viewing days but, if I did, it was for another band. And I did like checking out other people's shirts, as sometimes I might find a band I wasn't familiar with and it would have me check them out (back in the day before the internet and the ease of finding related artists.)
Old 08-22-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Wow, never heard of this dumb rule, and I'm now glad I've never seen PCH.
I must've missed it in a post, but scanning through the thread twice, I can't find it. What is PCH? (All I know it as is Pacific Coast Highway.)
Old 08-22-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I must've missed it in a post, but scanning through the thread twice, I can't find it. What is PCH? (All I know it as is Pacific Coast Highway.)
It's a typo for PCU which is the movie the "Don't be that guy" quote (with link) in post #26 is from.

First concert I went to was Cheap Trick. There was a guy wearing a Police shirt and my first thought was it was kind of insulting to wear a shirt for a different band (not that I got too worked up about it, I am sure the band didn't care). I never heard the "rule" until someone mentioned that scene from the movie. I think it comes from that same kind of cynicism and concern for being "cool" that has to mock other people for feeling real joy and enthusiasm for something.

I would wear a shirt for the band I was seeing.

Last edited by Nicest of the Damned; 08-22-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:20 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicest of the Damned View Post
It's a typo for PCU which is the movie the "Don't be that guy" quote (with link) in post #26 is from.
Yeah, that's it! Sorry, drinking and posting last night.

As far as wearing the shirt of a different band goes - ehh, you're wearing a shirt. It's not like it's a sporting event and they're playing against them. I'd rather you wear my band's shirt when you see me, I could always use the support. But wearing a different band's shirt doesn't even come close to offense.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's it! Sorry, drinking and posting last night.
The life of a musician, eh?

Quote:
As far as wearing the shirt of a different band goes - ehh, you're wearing a shirt. It's not like it's a sporting event and they're playing against them. I'd rather you wear my band's shirt when you see me, I could always use the support. But wearing a different band's shirt doesn't even come close to offense.
Well, like I said it was my first concert. I think I was twelve years old. I didn't try to fight him to defend Robin Zander's honor or anything.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
A shirt? At a Metal show? Pfft!
Trust me: you want me to wear a shirt.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:18 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

My own persona code of conduct:

Never wear the shirt from the current tour that you are currently watching.

Do wear a shirt from a previous tour. The older the better.

If you don’t have a previous tour shirt wear one from a band that in some way is linked to the band you are seeing.

If all else fails a Motörhead shirt is appropriate for all concerts.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Alternatives:

Stones
AC/DC
Ramones
Old 08-23-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

I'm curious as to why some people care about this
Old 08-23-2019, 05:01 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Are you new here? Why does anybody care about 90% of what we talk about? Why do you care that other people care?
Old 08-23-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
What's the story on that? I'm a RUSH fan, but don't know anything about the RASH shirt.

I also didn't know about not wearing a band's shirt to one of their concerts. Never heard that "rule".
I don't know if there is much of a story behind it. It's a shirt that looks like it has the logo from the first Rush album across the chest, but then on closer inspection the U is actually an A. I assume Geddy had them made as a gag. He was wearing one when I saw them on the Time Machine tour and I've seen lots of photos and video with him wearing the shirt.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I don't know if there is much of a story behind it. It's a shirt that looks like it has the logo from the first Rush album across the chest, but then on closer inspection the U is actually an A. I assume Geddy had them made as a gag. He was wearing one when I saw them on the Time Machine tour and I've seen lots of photos and video with him wearing the shirt.
Ok. I thought it might not be anything more than that, but wasn't sure. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:44 PM

Never heard of this "rule," and I find it utterly ridiculous.
Next you're going to tell me I can't wear a Cubs jersey to a Cubs game.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:05 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
The life of a musician, eh?
Hehehe, I don't make a living at it, but sure.

Quote:
Well, like I said it was my first concert. I think I was twelve years old. I didn't try to fight him to defend Robin Zander's honor or anything.
Hehehe, Telecasters, at dawn! Wear a nice suit.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:26 PM

"Metalhood" was mentioned up-thread.

In high school art class, I, not particularly artistic, picked a famous picture for my screenprinting project. It was the picture of Ozzy Osbourne holding up Randy Rhoads by Randy's right leg, while Randy plays guitar. It's an iconic photo for Ozzy and Randy fans, and was instantly recognizable among us in the '80s. It's on the cover of the Randy Rhoads Tribute album. I blew up the image into a big, black, detailed silhouette, and it covered the front of a plain white t-shirt, with a simple 1956-1982 under the silhouette with the most metal, Gothic font I could find. I'm not very artistic, but I can trace well and run a razor knife smoothly. It really came out awesome.

I wore it to many metal shows in New England, and I can't remember how many times I got stopped by strangers, with a "Doooooood! Where'd you get THAT!" I was so proud to tell them I made it.

Most other times, I'd start a show wearing some sort of metal shirt, but finish it wearing a shirt I bought at the show, because putting it on was easier than carrying it around.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
Never heard of this "rule," and I find it utterly ridiculous.
Next you're going to tell me I can't wear a Cubs jersey to a Cubs game.
So much as there is "logic" to all this: Sporting events are a bit different because it's a competition, and you want to identify with the side you're rooting for. Not everyone at a Cubs game is there to cheer on the Cubs, so you want to show which team you're loyal to. With a concert, it's not a competition--presumably, you're at a Metallica show because you like Metallica, so the idea is "yeah, we all know you like Metallica, since you're here." It is somewhat analogous to the post before about being a tourist wearing a tee-shirt of the city you're visiting when you're visiting that city.

Like I said, I personally don't care, and don't think oddly of people who wear shirts of the band they're going to see -- though I do have to say if it's a shirt of the current tour, that does strike me a bit weird -- but that's the logic, so much as there is, behind it. Plus, like I said before, when I was in my younger days, I did enjoy finding other bands I might like by perusing the tee shirts of fellow concert goers at shows I was attending, so why not pimp another, perhaps lesser known, band you like?

Last edited by pulykamell; 08-23-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Are you new here? Why does anybody care about 90% of what we talk about? Why do you care that other people care?
90% seems awful low
Old 08-26-2019, 10:06 AM

It's funny you mention Maiden. It seems the one band where the "Lame, because reasons" rule doesn't seem to apply is Iron Maiden. Their fanbase seems to revel in wearing Maiden gear to Maiden concerts. I wonder if the revert to the rule when attending other band's concert.

MeanJoe
Old 08-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I'm curious as to why some people care about this
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
This site's slogan has to do with fighting ignorance. Wondering why something is so is part of a fight against ignorance. The idea that personal preferences are things that just mysteriously manifest themselves and cannot be questioned is bunk.

Preferences have origins and reasons. I want to know why the people who care about what's on their or other people's T-shirts at a concert have preferences, why do they care.

I often ask why people care about something or prefer something (or not). It opens doors into other people's minds. I learn about different ways of looking at things, which means I can sometimes see things differently.

Preferences are also not set in stone. Thinking and talking about them can result in changing them too.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:29 AM

I like that we're fighting ignorance by "wondering why something is so". And so few people wonder why they themselves do things.

In my case, I'm realizing how many times I decide what to wear because subconsciously I want people to notice it, and maybe think I'm cool.
NOOOOOO... that's a really uncool attitude. What can I do to stop? Is "notice I'm doing it" good enough? I'd hate to have to trade in my Obscure Band Shirt collection for Wayne Newton World Tour shirts.

Something I noticed. Some of us don't have shirts without band names on them. Some of us only have metal bands. And metal bands we've paid an arm and a leg to see, then the other arm for the tour shirt. Look at Loach's potential choices of what to wear:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
My own persona code of conduct:
Never wear the shirt from the current tour that you are currently watching.
Do wear a shirt from a previous tour. The older the better.
If you don’t have a previous tour shirt wear one from a band that in some way is linked to the band you are seeing.
Note to self: I've got a few blank t-shirts, some white, some black. Was going to print on them, but I think I'll just start wearing them, and practice not giving a rat's scrotum what anyone thinks (hmm, they'll think that's cool... d'oh!)
Old 08-27-2019, 12:28 PM

I wear something lightweight like a thin Tee to the venue. At the venue I buy shirts for the headliner, the band they're traveling with, and the opener if they have one. Then I change into the shirt for the lowest support band. Like, I figure The Damned have been around enough that they're only going to be impressed if someone's got serviceable gear from the '70s or '80s, which I don't (lost my Boston shirt in the divorce). But Radkey or The Darts might still be new enough to the scene that they'd get a little pump from seeing their gear while they are on stage.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:12 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
You must not have been paying attention at the concert or you got there late. For quite a few years Rush stopped using an opening act. One tour they played cartoons. In later years they put together an amusing video to play before the show. On the Time Machine tour the fake Rush band in the video was named “Rash.” Geddy wore the shirt from the video.

https://youtu.be/Wa76nOe13Yc

Last edited by Loach; 08-27-2019 at 03:19 PM.