Old 08-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

The Mandalorian teaser trailer has been released at D23, along with a lot of other Disney, Marvel and Star Wars news. With more to come over the weekend.

The Mandalorian is a series set six years after Return Of The Jedi, so the Empire has collapsed but still remnants linger, and a Bounty Hunter who looks similar to, but is not, Boba Fett is roaming the galaxy. Stars Pedro Pascal, Gina Carano, Giancarlo Esposito, and Werner Herzog.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:22 PM

I also saw announcements for Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, and She Hulk shows. Also apparently WandaVison is sort of a sitcom.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:35 AM

Is this going to be Netflix style and release an entire series at once or weekly like HBO?
Old 08-25-2019, 11:34 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Unknown as yet. But I bet it used the Netflix model.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:10 PM

They said episodes would be week by week.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Yes, released weekly is what most people have determined. Possibly a double episode to start.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:26 AM

So much for my plan of just subscribing for a month, but could always just wait until the end of The Mandalorian season.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

I just went ahead and took advantage of a deal to lower the price to about $4 a month.

You can become a D23(Disney fan club) member free of charge and if you agree to buy a 3-year Disney+ subscription, they only charge $140.97 for all three years.

I talked about it with my wife and we figure:

- $4 has to be worth it on some level to get the Disney+ service
- This locks them in to that $4 a month price for three years(no upping it for us until end of 2022)
- if it's crappy, then I guess we made a small goof

Just a head's up if anyone else is interested. I thought $6.99 a month was a good deal, but giving us the entire third year free, so to speak, is good enough for us.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:37 AM

Do you have a link? This sounds like a very good deal.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:45 AM

I think I found it: https://d23.com/disney-plus-exclusive-offer/
Old 08-29-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Thanks.

It took 36 hours for the $4 per month deal to hit my account. They have to offer it directly to you. The link is nice, but will not work until they specifically acknowledge/process your D23 account.

I had a dormant account from 2005, but it took awhile for them to re-activate me.

Anyway, get on it if you are interested, folks. I think it is a huge steal.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:23 PM

Disney seems determined to ensure that piracy starts up again in earnest. Netflix and Prime Video's global availability had helped reduce it greatly.
And Marvel's policy of same day global release probably was the first smart thing they had done against piracy.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Thanks.

It took 36 hours for the $4 per month deal to hit my account. They have to offer it directly to you. The link is nice, but will not work until they specifically acknowledge/process your D23 account.
Much the same here. I signed up for a free D23 account on Tue evening and now less than 48 hours later I have my email offer. It looks like $46.99 per year for 3 years, so a total of $140.97. Not sure if they bill you monthly, yearly, or for all 3 years at once.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
Much the same here. I signed up for a free D23 account on Tue evening and now less than 48 hours later I have my email offer. It looks like $46.99 per year for 3 years, so a total of $140.97. Not sure if they bill you monthly, yearly, or for all 3 years at once.
It looks like they are planning to go yearly and after the 3 years auto-renew you and the full rate. So watch out for that part.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
I paid for all three years up front. It told me it would renew for something like $69.99 per year if I don't do anything.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:33 AM

We have a pending charge for the full $140.97. So it does appear to be all 3 years at once.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

I don't have a specific device to stream it on. My Samsung TV(un50eh5300) is a smart tv from 2014. I would guess they do not develop or add a Disney+ app for it.

I have a PS3, but I rather guess that won't get one, either.

I do have a chromebook that I used to stream Game of Thrones from HBO Now back in April. Worst case, I assume Disney+ streams from a browser on a Chromebook just like any web site. Right?

I am considering a new Roku. I had a first generation one. Wondering if they make any recent Rokus for under $50.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I am considering a new Roku. I had a first generation one. Wondering if they make any recent Rokus for under $50.
My smart TV just dropped Hulu support, so I went ahead and got a Roku. I think it cost 35 bucks, and it runs much more quickly than my TV's software. I like it.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
My smart TV just dropped Hulu support, so I went ahead and got a Roku. I think it cost 35 bucks, and it runs much more quickly than my TV's software. I like it.
Can you link me to what model you got?
Old 09-01-2019, 11:38 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Disney+ News

I joined D23 Thursday or Friday. Never got an email but today I went to the site and saw my $140.97 offer. I’m all signed up. Thanks for the tip!

Also I read somewhere that it will allow 4 simultaneous connections so if that’s true I just got Disney + for me, my parents, my brother and my boyfriend for less than $1/month per each of us. Wow.

Last edited by ZipperJJ; 09-01-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Also I read somewhere that it will allow 4 simultaneous connections so if thatís true I just got Disney + for me, my parents, my brother and my boyfriend for less than $1/month per each of us. Wow.
There aren't many specifics known at this point, but it's looking like Disney won't be taking the same laissez faire attitude as Netflix does when it comes to account sharing.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Here’s where I read about the 4 simultaneous connections. The date at the top says Sept 2 but I definitely read it last week.

https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-plu...-d23-discount/
Old 09-02-2019, 07:09 PM

I splurged for this. And I put in a reminder on my phone to remind me to shut it off in 3 years. (Syncs to the cloud so even if I have a new phone I just have to link up). I mean, I may keep it and my card expires before then anyway, but I hate auto renew.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Hereís where I read about the 4 simultaneous connections. The date at the top says Sept 2 but I definitely read it last week.]
Right, you get 4 streams, but that's offered as 4 streams per paying household so a single family of 4 can all watch what they want at the same time. Just about every streaming service offers multiple streams. But those 4 streams are ostensibly not intended for a set of extended households which is what I assume you were describing with your parents, brother and boyfriend.

I mean, I don't care if you share your account. These days, everyone shares their streaming accounts with parents, cousins, friends, pets, etc. But considering customers are so used to sharing accounts, it's a big deal that Disney might be the first major streaming service to actively put the kibosh on people doing just that.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Not addressed to me, but...

The basic roku model (Roku Express) costs $30 on amazon. It's only HD (not 4k), and doesn't have the voice assistant thing.

The next step up (Roku Premiere) supports 4k and costs $40, again without voice commands.

I only have HD and don't care about voice commands (I don't like devices that listen to me when I'm not talking to them) so I just got the express, and I love it to death.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-03-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:29 AM

In Japan, no word on Disney+ yet, but they are pushing the "Disney Deluxe/Disney Theater" service via their app. The Japanese page suggests it has the same lineup that was announced for Disney+ in the US.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Not addressed to me, but...

The basic roku model (Roku Express) costs $30 on amazon. It's only HD (not 4k), and doesn't have the voice assistant thing.

The next step up (Roku Premiere) supports 4k and costs $40, again without voice commands.

I only have HD and don't care about voice commands (I don't like devices that listen to me when I'm not talking to them) so I just got the express, and I love it to death.
So Roku is one flat fee, no monthly? I assume the WiFi isn't too hard to setup?
Old 09-03-2019, 08:04 AM

I didn't find it to be difficult. But that was a while ago.

Now I have a smart TV - some sort of Samsung - and got rid of my Roku. Is there any reason I should have kept it?
Old 09-03-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
I didn't find it to be difficult. But that was a while ago.

Now I have a smart TV - some sort of Samsung - and got rid of my Roku. Is there any reason I should have kept it?
It might get a Disney+ app before your Smart TV.

In my case I have a pair of older Vizios and Vizio has not been the best for new and well working apps. Plays Netflix superbly and pretty good with Hulu but Amazon is still a bit crappy and took quite a while to roll out.

But I know nothing about how Roku or Firestick update their apps.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
Right, you get 4 streams, but that's offered as 4 streams per paying household so a single family of 4 can all watch what they want at the same time. Just about every streaming service offers multiple streams. But those 4 streams are ostensibly not intended for a set of extended households which is what I assume you were describing with your parents, brother and boyfriend.

I mean, I don't care if you share your account. These days, everyone shares their streaming accounts with parents, cousins, friends, pets, etc. But considering customers are so used to sharing accounts, it's a big deal that Disney might be the first major streaming service to actively put the kibosh on people doing just that.
Yeah you're right. The wording in the article doesn't indicate four logins. They might restrict by IP or something. I can definitely see them putting the effort in to technology that restricts logins, as that can be quite the money-loser for any streaming service!

But, I still have hope
Old 09-03-2019, 09:52 AM

Is there a list of products (Fire Stick, Roku etc.) that will carry the app? Or are we just assuming it's going to be on the heavy hitters?
Old 09-03-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Is there a list of products (Fire Stick, Roku etc.) that will carry the app? Or are we just assuming it's going to be on the heavy hitters?
This is what we know so far:

At launch, Disney+ will be available for streaming via web browsers on PCs, as well as apps on Apple iOS devices and Apple TV, Android mobile devices and Android TV, Chromecast, Roku devices, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.] Content available on Disney+ will also be listed in the Apple TV app. Disney+ will not support Amazon devices like Amazon Fire TV at launch.

Disney+ will allow seven user profiles per account, with the ability to stream on four devices concurrently and unlimited downloads for offline viewing. Content will be able to be streamed in resolutions up to 4K Ultra HD in Dolby Vision and HDR10, with Dolby Atmos sound on supported devices. Legacy content will be available in English, Spanish, French, and Dutch, while Disney+ originals will feature additional language options
Old 09-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Actually, that leads me to wonder; what incentive is there for Roku or Amazon or whomever to support a streaming service on their device? Do they get a cut of revenues?
Old 09-03-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I got the Premiere, linked above. It was 34 dollars at the time but it looks like the base price is 40.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
One flat fee, yes, and wifi was shockingly easy to set up for me. Plug the router into your cable modem's "router out" connection and use your computer to set up a wifi password. The roku will ask you to choose a wifi network and password on startup. Done and done. Note that your wired internet connection to your computer is never disrupted during this process.

Quote:
But I know nothing about how Roku or Firestick update their apps.
Roku devices are always on -- there is literally no power button -- so if there's an update to be had, it will see it and get it. I think it waits until it detects you aren't using it. (ie: The screen saver is active.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Actually, that leads me to wonder; what incentive is there for Roku or Amazon or whomever to support a streaming service on their device? Do they get a cut of revenues?
Roku is not a service; it's a device like a television set or antenna. You pay your $30 or $40 once and you never pay roku anything again. (Unless you have to replace a faulty one, I guess?)

Because it's not a service, roku devices don't have to worry about streaming fights, like "Will Apple's new streaming service work on amazon fire sticks?" The answer to that is yes, it will, but that "yes" was not a given. It's a given that everything will work with roku.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-03-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Quote:
Roku is not a service; it's a device like a television set or antenna. You pay your $30 or $40 once and you never pay roku anything again. (Unless you have to replace a faulty one, I guess?)
I understand that Roku is a device (although I think they have their own channels) but the question was what incentive is there for them or Amazon or Apple or Google to support someone else's streaming service on their device?
Old 09-03-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I understand that Roku is a device (although I think they have their own channels) but the question was what incentive is there for them or Amazon or Apple or Google to support someone else's streaming service on their device?
Probably just to not lose out on customers.

If I don't have a streaming device and I know that Disney+ is going on Roku, but not on a Fire, then I'm buying a Roku and Amazon just lost a customer. Granted, I'm one person and they don't give a shit, but multiply that by a few million and ya never know.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

I wonder which end is holding up the Disney+/Amazon deal. It could be that Disney+ doesn't want to be available on Amazon products, or that Amazon doesn't want Disney+ on its products.

What would keep Disney from wanting to be on Amazon? There are people who already have paid for the Amazon devices, and not having Disney+ available to them will keep them from signing up.

What would keep Amazon from wanting Disney? Like Sir T-Cups said, there are people who haven't chosen an appliance yet and will avoid Amazon if they don't allow Disney+. Also, don't you have to be a Prime member to get an Amazon appliance to work anyway? Even if you don't, Prime is much more than just a 1:1 competitor for Disney+. It offers music and storage and shipping services plus a bunch of other little stuff. How much damage could Disney+ do to their Prime business?

It's got to just be down to money. And I don't even know how that works. Who pays to develop the app (I guess Disney+?) and are there rights fees after that?
Old 09-03-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
The roku channel is free. (All the free channels pretty much suck, including the roku channel.)

The incentive for streamers to create apps for roku is that 29 million people stream with roku devices. And since roku offers no pay streaming service, it's not a competitor to netflix, amazon, disney, etc... so there's also no disincentive to supporting it like you sometimes see where maybe amazon doesn't want to support google+ or whatever. This is generally moot with the big boys, but smaller channels may not support every streaming device. Roku is generally the very first device a new streaming service will support.

Here's a good read about choosing and setting up a roku.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-03-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:44 PM

I misunderstood / misrepresented why roku is neutral. It's not because their channel is free, it's because roku does not generate any of its own content, nor does it intend to. Because it's not a content provider, it's not a competitor to content providers.

The other majors in streaming devices -- amazon and apple -- either have or plan to start their own streaming service with original content, so with those devices you're crossing your fingers that market share will force other content providers to support a competitor's device.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-03-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
I splurged for this. And I put in a reminder on my phone to remind me to shut it off in 3 years. (Syncs to the cloud so even if I have a new phone I just have to link up). I mean, I may keep it and my card expires before then anyway, but I hate auto renew.
I told my wife that honestly, if the service is great I'll just let it auto-renew at $70 per year, still a really low price.

Quote:
Yeah, Roku isn't a service, it's just a little box or stick thing that puts streaming things like Youtube, Netflix, and Disney+ on your TV instead of plugging in a computer.

I got one at the end of 2010(model 1) and it was so excellent. I kind of miss it(nostalgia now), though I use my Smart TV, PS3(yes, 3), and chromebook to put stuff on the TV.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I told my wife that honestly, if the service is great I'll just let it auto-renew at $70 per year, still a really low price.
If, that is, it's still only seventy bucks a year, three years from now. I think they set an aggressive price (meaning low) because they want to hurt Netflix as much as they can. Three years from now? Who knows? Maybe Disney+ is the dominant player in the streaming market and they feel they can jack up the price.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If, that is, it's still only seventy bucks a year, three years from now. I think they set an aggressive price (meaning low) because they want to hurt Netflix as much as they can. Three years from now? Who knows? Maybe Disney+ is the dominant player in the streaming market and they feel they can jack up the price.
Oh, yes, of course. We will pay attention to the price. I do see that it says, "Following the initial term of your subscription, your subscription will automatically renew on an annual basis and Disney Streaming Services will charge the then-current subscription price to your payment method on Nov 12, 2022, and annually thereafter until you cancel. "

So, yes, we better watch it.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I wonder which end is holding up the Disney+/Amazon deal. It could be that Disney+ doesn't want to be available on Amazon products, or that Amazon doesn't want Disney+ on its products.

What would keep Disney from wanting to be on Amazon? There are people who already have paid for the Amazon devices, and not having Disney+ available to them will keep them from signing up.

What would keep Amazon from wanting Disney? Like Sir T-Cups said, there are people who haven't chosen an appliance yet and will avoid Amazon if they don't allow Disney+. Also, don't you have to be a Prime member to get an Amazon appliance to work anyway? Even if you don't, Prime is much more than just a 1:1 competitor for Disney+. It offers music and storage and shipping services plus a bunch of other little stuff. How much damage could Disney+ do to their Prime business?

It's got to just be down to money. And I don't even know how that works. Who pays to develop the app (I guess Disney+?) and are there rights fees after that?
There is a lot of bad blood between Disney and Amazon. Amazon has a history of making it difficult to purchase Disney titles through them, possibly in an effort to extract from Disney a bigger percentage of sales. Amazon has done stuff like blocked pre-orders, made titles available to Prime members only or just plain said the movies were unavailable when everybody else had them for sale.

This might be a spillover from that.

Last edited by zbuzz; 09-03-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:37 AM

So I guess I get to say "first". I just signed up for the free trial that is being offered in the Netherlands until november 12th (then it turns into a subscription, unless I cancel).

Lay out looks nice...the latest offerings won't be added til the official launch...but plenty of prime content from the Marvel universe, Disney Classics and pretty much everything from star wars.

Later today I might be able to find some time to actually watch something.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g(6) met Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2019, 06:48 AM

Is there any reason to think my Samsung SmarTV won't have access to Disney+?

I had a Roku back before I got the new Samsung. But it didn't seem to add anything when the TV just performed all the same functions.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:18 AM

Hmm, interesting. I believe Charlie Holmberg is developing (a TV series/series of movies, one or the other) for Disney+ based on her Paper Magician series, which I really enjoyed reading.

I do hate how everyone and their grandma is doing their own streaming service though. Like someone else said above, piracy goes down when it's easy for people to pay for stuff (aka just one or two streaming services needed). If you now need Netflix AND Prime AND Hulu AND Disney+ AND CBS All Access AND etc etc... A chunk of people will probably go back to pirating.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Is there any reason to think my Samsung SmarTV won't have access to Disney+?
Depends on how old the TV is. LG just began dropping support for Hulu on older models - I had to buy a Roku about a month ago. I suppose best practice is to not expect that any smart TV will support any service indefinitely.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
At launch, Disney+ will be available for streaming via web browsers on PCs, as well as apps on Apple iOS devices and Apple TV, Android mobile devices and Android TV, Chromecast, Roku devices, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.] Content available on Disney+ will also be listed in the Apple TV app. Disney+ will not support Amazon devices like Amazon Fire TV at launch.
It might be possible to use Disney+ on Amazon devices through the web browser, even if thereís no dedicated app. A while ago, Amazon removed the YouTube app because of a dispute with Google, but itís simple enough to just use the YouTube website through Firefox instead.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

My plan remains to just use my chromebook for streaming until some better device becomes dirt cheap.

I actually am hoping for a $199 PS4 with a good game included. Maybe around Xmas time.