Old 09-14-2019, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Bands that were great in the studio but suck live.

On my drive home from work yesterday my local radio station talked about bands that sound great when recorded but suck live. The only 2 bands they mentioned that I have seen were Motley Crue and Smashing Pumpkins. I saw Motley Crue a few years ago, it was like one of the band members would take a song off so only 3 played each song. Vince Neal mumbled a lot too. Alice Cooper opened the show and put on a fantastic show, so the whole night wasn't a waste. I didn't expect much from the Pumpkins and that was good. Billy Corgan made sure the volume of his guitar was a lot louder than the rest of the band. The bass player spend most of the show sitting in a chair at the end of the stage.

3 other concerts come to mind. The Cars mailed in their show. No energy and every song sounded exactly like the record version. If a song was 3 minutes on the record, it was 3 minutes long during the show.

I have seen The Kinks twice, the first time they were very good, the next time, no so much. Many of the songs would just end for no apparent reason then the band would jump right into the next song. Lola lasted 90 seconds if that long. The whole concert took about an hour.

The third was Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio. The songs from the Heaven and Hell album were good, but Dio insisted on screaming the lyrics when they did songs from the Ozzie era.

Two other shows that could have been better but there were other issues. Led Zeppelin played at the Kingdome in Seattle. The echo in there was terrible except during the ballads.

And Ted Nugent put on a real tight show, but the political rants between songs ruined the evening for many.

Last edited by racer72; 09-14-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:58 PM

Not sure I understand your question. You mention a couple bands that "loafed" through the show, but then you add The Cars, who definitely brought top-notch performances even if they were not huge for showmanship. (This has been discussed elsewhere on the forums.)

Frankly, a lot of top acts (Led Zeppelin, Yes, and others) put on some pretty poor shows in the late 60s and early 70s. The one band that I always remember putting on a good show as far as sound quality, talent, and showmanship, was Jethro Tull.

TL;DR: Yes put on some really bad shows in the early 70s.

Last edited by ZonexandScout; 09-14-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:10 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Not quite what you're getting at, but Van Morrison sucked in concert. And it wasn't just that this his voice and 'presence' when live were nothing like his recorded stuff, he seemed to be actively hating what he was doing up on the stage.

Sometime later I learned (quite possibly here at the Dope) that Van was plagued by stage fright* and it all made sense.

(*But not always apparently. There were times when he overcame it, with spectacular results).
Old 09-14-2019, 01:35 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Assemblage 23, the industrial "band" (it's one guy in the studio).

I adore A23, with its intelligent, thought-provoking lyrics and great beats. I have all their studio albums. I was so excited when I found out they were playing in San Francisco (with the main guy, Tom Shear, and a touring band) so I got tickets and dragged my supportive, long-suffering spouse (he's not much of a fan of the band) to the show.

They were terrible. Muddy sound, out of tune, just awful. We left early. I hope they were just having a bad night.

VNV Nation (another band in the same vein) puts on a much better show, so now we just go see them whenever they come to the area. Bonus: the spouse like them too!
Old 09-14-2019, 01:57 PM

I wouldn't say "sucked" but I would say I was profoundly disappointed the two times I saw Metallica live. For whatever reason ( the venue/acoustics, sound tech, whatever ) the sound was terrible. Oh it was loud, but no mid-range would be my guess. The great "crunch" of the guitar power chords that make up all the great riffs that drive a song weren't really there, replaced by a mix of booming muddy thuds of too much bottom range, and weak high/thin/whiney guitar soloing, rounded out by drums that seemed like just a loud version of using drum sticks on an upturned 5 gallon plastic pail. It was so bad that most of a song's identifying hooks, tags or whatever could hardly be heard through all the poorly engineered "noise".

It should be noted that at both times I was front ( or 2 or 3 rows back at most ) and center.

Of course it didn't help that at the time they were touring for the 'Load' and 'Reload' albums, so much of the material sucked right out of the box and didn't feature much of the sound that made them famous, but even their older stuff was hugely disappointing live.

Another observation I've noted;

With some bands that have only one guitarist, where in the studio they can lay down a rhythm track during lead guitar solos, some can pull it off live with one guitarist through flash and great support from the rhythm section. With other bands, the "hole" in the sound is most apparent.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:15 PM

I saw Faith No More do a couple songs. The most charitable word I can come up with is 'cacophony'.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:21 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Since this involves musical performances, let's move this to Cafe Society (from IMHO).
Old 09-14-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
I wouldn't say "sucked" but I would say I was profoundly disappointed the two times I saw Metallica live. For whatever reason ( the venue/acoustics, sound tech, whatever ) the sound was terrible. Oh it was loud, but no mid-range would be my guess. The great "crunch" of the guitar power chords that make up all the great riffs that drive a song weren't really there, replaced by a mix of booming muddy thuds of too much bottom range, and weak high/thin/whiney guitar soloing, rounded out by drums that seemed like just a loud version of using drum sticks on an upturned 5 gallon plastic pail. It was so bad that most of a song's identifying hooks, tags or whatever could hardly be heard through all the poorly engineered "noise".

It should be noted that at both times I was front ( or 2 or 3 rows back at most ) and center.

Of course it didn't help that at the time they were touring for the 'Load' and 'Reload' albums, so much of the material sucked right out of the box and didn't feature much of the sound that made them famous, but even their older stuff was hugely disappointing live.

Another observation I've noted;

With some bands that have only one guitarist, where in the studio they can lay down a rhythm track during lead guitar solos, some can pull it off live with one guitarist through flash and great support from the rhythm section. With other bands, the "hole" in the sound is most apparent.
Here is a show from Nimes France where the picture and the sound are impeccable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Zb4w03atU

The only shows I can remember being bad or disappointing are Black Sabbath with Ozzy because Ozzy has zero charisma and did little except stand in one place. Boring. And any New Years Eve shows because they advertise a NYE experience but are all over well before midnight.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:04 PM

I saw Guns 'N Roses open for Aerosmith in 1988. This was when "Sweet Child O' Mine" was at the top of the charts, but before Lies came out. I recall feeling let down, because they weren't very good live.

Well, except Slash. During the guitar solo in "SCOM" his E-string broke (the thin one). He effortlessly moved it down an octave or two and completed the solo on the remaining five strings. I wouldn't have even known the string had broken, but for the cameras zooming in on his guitar.

Another memorable part was Axl introducing a new song as something that would be on an EP coming out later that year. The song was "Patience." Slash played this slow ballad-y thing on his electric guitar, and Axl started with the whistling... remember, this song was unknown at the time, all we knew was the hard-rocking Appetite for Destruction. The crowd was dead silent through the song, and there was a "what the fuck is this?" vibe in the people near me.

Last edited by GESancMan; 09-14-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I actually saw two of the bands mentioned so far, Faith no More and Metallica, on the same ticket and thought they were great. The third band on the ticket, Guns N' Roses, sucked ass. I walked out halfway through their performance. Appetite for Destruction is a near perfect album, and they had other great songs, but they were horrible live. No effort it seemed.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
Not quite what you're getting at, but Van Morrison sucked in concert. And it wasn't just that this his voice and 'presence' when live were nothing like his recorded stuff, he seemed to be actively hating what he was doing up on the stage.

Sometime later I learned (quite possibly here at the Dope) that Van was plagued by stage fright* and it all made sense.

(*But not always apparently. There were times when he overcame it, with spectacular results).
We saw Van in 1998 when he toured with Dylan, and he put on a good show. Seeing the two of them perform "Blue Suede Shoes" was particularly memorable, as Carl Perkins had just passed. In a strange turn of events the next time I saw Dylan was right after Warren Zevon passed, and he did "Werewolves of London".
Old 09-14-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
Assemblage 23, the industrial "band" (it's one guy in the studio).

I adore A23, with its intelligent, thought-provoking lyrics and great beats. I have all their studio albums. I was so excited when I found out they were playing in San Francisco (with the main guy, Tom Shear, and a touring band) so I got tickets and dragged my supportive, long-suffering spouse (he's not much of a fan of the band) to the show.

They were terrible. Muddy sound, out of tune, just awful. We left early. I hope they were just having a bad night.

VNV Nation (another band in the same vein) puts on a much better show, so now we just go see them whenever they come to the area. Bonus: the spouse like them too!
This makes me sad to hear. I like A23 a lot.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I saw Faith No More do a couple songs. The most charitable word I can come up with is 'cacophony'.
I saw them a few years ago and they sounded great!
Old 09-14-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
Not sure I understand your question. You mention a couple bands that "loafed" through the show, but then you add The Cars, who definitely brought top-notch performances even if they were not huge for showmanship.
I'm not sure where I, personally, fall on the issue, but one could argue that, if all they're going to do is flawlessly recreate their studio recordings on stage, with zero showmanship or stage presence, concertgoers might as well just stay home and listen to those recordings. There's no particular reason to see them play live.

So, I'm not the OP, but that might work as a definition: bands (and, I suppose, solo artists) whom there's no particular reason for even a fan of their recorded output to want to see live.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:56 PM

NP. I was just not sure about the question that compared studio recordings to live performances. I agree that The Cars were "sterile" in live performances, but they could sure play what was on their records. The sound quality was usually also immaculate. Ocasek was fairly anal about such things.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
NP. I was just not sure about the question that compared studio recordings to live performances...
Well, I know where I stand on the subject. Was excited about seeing Interpol (at The Rave, yet, with a name like that you know there's always a mosh pit). No moshing, no dancing, everyone listened blankly as they "flawlessly recreated their studio recordings on stage, with zero showmanship or stage presence". I got bored, went down the street and bought a bunch of ball caps and Sharpies, came back and drew Interpol caps. Sailing them from the balcony was so much more enjoyable than the show.

And this was a week after I'd seen Springsteen, who'd sat on the edge of the stage and told a story about his childhood, and later climbed a huge bank of amplifiers and jumped off.

Now I choose concerts based on whether I'll get to know the performer better, and whether they'll add their own touches to the songs (maybe even covers) they play.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:39 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Chuck Berry. Hour and a half late. Tight 45 minute set. Chuck Berry has left the building.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:50 AM

Quicksilver Messenger Service. third billing in a daylong show out in the country (Pozo), mid-late 90s I think. We'd gone to see Little Feat (always a dependable live show). QMS set began ok, but when the lead guitarist first stepped up, it became clear that this was time for an extended smoke/drink break. The guy was playing an entirely different tune in a different key, time signature,&c, than his confused and embarrassed bandmates. It was brutal. I can only surmise that extremely hard drugs, or a stroke, had happened.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
I saw them a few years ago and they sounded great!
[Reverend Lovejoy]Well that's just super![/Reverend Lovejoy]
Old 09-15-2019, 10:34 PM

It's funny you mention The Smashing Pumpkins. Back in 92' (or so) I had a buddy who turned me onto their first album GISH. I loved it...thought it was astonishing and thought I was in for a treat when it was announced they were going to support the Red Hot Chili Peppers for their new tour. Bought tix, drove to gig and waited and waited. First band came on and DESTROYED the place with energy. I had never heard of them before but I recall thinking "these guys are fantastic"...now it's time for my boys, The Pumpkins. Uh oh...it was obvious in the first 2 minutes that we had a problem. The sound was horrible and Billy's screeching was unbearable. It was clear these guys were one trick ponies and I couldn't wait for it to be over. It was madness and they compounded the problem over and over by screeching louder and faster. I cannot tell you how bad The Pumpkins were live. They finally gave it up and the Peppers came out and did a remarkable show with Fruisciante and the boys. They were excellent. Sounded great and were in great spirits. Invited the audience up for the last song so it was kind of a bit of a controlled riot. Everybody enjoyed their set for sure.

I learned two things that day.

1. I gave my GISH album away and refused to be a part of The Pumpkins from this moment on. Can't stand listening to them.
2. That unknown band was from Seattle. Their name was Pearl Jam. They made such an impression on me that I will ALWAYS give those guys the benefit of the doubt regarding any of their projects. They were the real deal and knew how to rock. I loved them for it. I'm not a HUGE fan of PJ but I sure admire their integrity.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
I'm not sure where I, personally, fall on the issue, but one could argue that, if all they're going to do is flawlessly recreate their studio recordings on stage, with zero showmanship or stage presence, concertgoers might as well just stay home and listen to those recordings. There's no particular reason to see them play live.

So, I'm not the OP, but that might work as a definition: bands (and, I suppose, solo artists) whom there's no particular reason for even a fan of their recorded output to want to see live.
Well....I'd add that Benjamin Orr was hot as hell...and him up there on stage sweaty and in leather?

I'm just saying.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:36 PM

I saw ZZ Top twice in about a twenty-year span; they were pretty much unlistenable both times.

Back in, oh I guess the late '70s, Todd Rundgren played a gig at a university near my hometown. The room was an horribly echoey gymnasium and the sound ended up being an undifferentiated muddy blare. To top it off, the band appeared in faux-Egyptian costumes and with a stage set that could have been the inspiration for the Stonehenge stage décor in This is Spinal Tap. An unfortunate mess all the way around.

The one time I got a chance to see the Replacements, Paul Westerberg was so drunk he was literally unable to stand up, much less sing his own songs, and they had the plug pulled on them about 15 minutes in, at which point a minor riot broke out.

Lastly, there was a Prince concert I attended in Paris, where the formerly-known artist apparently was pissed off at the promoters for some reason and took it out on them (and the paying audience) by playing a perfunctory 25-minute set, then disappearing. I understand he generally tended to put on a monster show, so I'll assume I just caught him on a bad night.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:34 AM

I wasn't surprised to see a thread about this, except that it was started before Ric Ocasek's passing was announced. Never saw them live, but lots of people here have said they just weren't that good a live band.

Never saw the 'Mats or Gn'R live either, but I do understand that lots of people did, just so they could tell their friends what kind of stunts the band members did, or didn't do, that night. My sister saw Gn'R at the height of their fame in the early 1990s, and that was her main motivation for going.

I saw Boston in 1995. Let's just say that "More Than a Feeling" didn't have any.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

I see about 20 concerts a year. So I've met some dogs.

I wouldn't call them "great" in the studio, but I saw the Spin Doctors in concert and they were so bad I wanted to jump up on the stage and beat them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
I saw ZZ Top twice in about a twenty-year span; they were pretty much unlistenable both times.
I last saw them back in 2011. They sounded horrible the first 3 songs, off key, no tempo, etc.. After that they sounded good.

In 2013 I saw Vince Neil solo. He was running his fat ass back and forth on the stage, turning red, huffing and puffing. I thought for sure he was going to vapor lock. His gasping and wheezing made him sing for shit.

Back in the late 90's I went to an 80's flashback concert. Culture Club, human League, and such. Howard Jones came out by himself. No other musicians, zero back up singers, nothing. Just him and a keyboard. It was bland, dull, and boring as hell.

Saw Isaac Hayes a few years before he died. He was obviously sick. Singing and playing were weak, then he cut the show short. Probably should have just cancelled it altogether.

Then there was the Kenny Rogers fiasco.

My brother and I went to see Molly Hatchet once at Zivkos. They sounded great but took a break after 35 minutes and never returned. I went around back the building and saw that their tour bus was gone. Some roadie told me they needed to catch a plane for the coast and "this was only a mini concert, man". We didn't fuggin pay mini concert ticket prices, man!

Saw Patti LaBelle back in the 90's. The venue held 15K+ and she only sold 600 tickets. She was pissed about it and was a friggin bitch up on the stage. Instead of being appreciative of those who did show up she carped at us about not enough people being there.

David Cassidy had sound problems with his own equipment. He was frustrated with it and berated the audience over it. Then he cut the show short and drove off drunk back stage, alerting the interest of the police.

Saw Better than Ezera a couple of years ago. Awful.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Last edited by pkbites; 09-16-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
I wouldn't say "sucked" but I would say I was profoundly disappointed the two times I saw Metallica live. For whatever reason ( the venue/acoustics, sound tech, whatever ) the sound was terrible. Oh it was loud, but no mid-range would be my guess. .
To be fair, wasn't "no mid range" part of their sound for their early career? I seem to remember it all being about scooped-mids for them back before, say, the Black Album.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:43 AM

I can't believe I am the first to mention Milli Vanilli!
Old 09-16-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare4roach View Post
It's funny you mention The Smashing Pumpkins. Back in 92' (or so) ...
I saw the same tour and had the same experience. Billy stopped the show a handful of times to lecture people in the front row and to threaten to end the set early. This just riled up the people in the pit and they stated throwing shoes on stage. I guess you gotta work with what you have, but seeing the rest of the show barefoot seems rough.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:15 AM

I've seen Dylan four times and he can be either great or lousy. I don't think he cares one way or the other. Studio version- you can understand the words. Live performances are like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:18 AM

Loved the David Lee Roth stuff with Van Halen, but when he went on tour with Sammy several years ago, Diamond Dave sucked something terrible. It was just an embarrassing mess from start to finish.

Sammy, otoh, was dynamite.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Jays Fan

They weren't great in the studio, either, but last weekend my wife and I saw Canadian 80's band Platinum Blonde and holy shit their were terrible. (It was $5 and literally across the street so what the hell.) Their 80s studio work was typically 80s hair rock but it was perfectly good for what it was. Live they just sucked balls. Despite having more than enough songs to fill the 90 minute set they covered Queen, the Stones, the Beatles and Beastie Boys in between their own music to try to be better and it didn't work.

This was part of an annual festival in this town that always brings in old Canadian acts, and most years, honestly, they're pretty good. Last year Kim Mitchell just killed, and the year before Honeymoon Suite was perfectly good, but jesus Platinum Blonde blew goats.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
To be fair, wasn't "no mid range" part of their sound for their early career? I seem to remember it all being about scooped-mids for them back before, say, the Black Album.
I don't know. It could be my perception of what "mid range" is may not fit convention. What I'm referring to is the riffing rhythms that "drive" the song. Crunchy jagged distorted power chording that really, well, just swings. IMO, that was absolutely their signature sound. Top range would be the fast shredding during soloing, often on the higher notes , the bottom would be the bass.

Black Album would be the last album their original sound was still somewhat intact before the succession of plodding mid-tempo bore-fests that followed, until Death Magnetic.

Last edited by BrickBat; 09-16-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:08 PM

I heard NOFX sucks live.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:21 PM

I saw Poison at the Country Club in Reseda just before they broke out.

I dunno....maybe they were drunk.

-God
Old 09-16-2019, 01:38 PM

now they're doing the "we're still alive" county fair tours my relatives went and seen poison and one other mid 80s - 90s band.... the other band was fun .. joked with the audience about how old everyone was and they were glad to still be around ect played an hour in a half and wanted to play for an hour in a half more ..... even hung around and signed stuff and sold new stuff

Poison, however, said maybe 100 words throughout the whole concert (someone said it sounded scripted )and blew through their "greatest hits" the whole thing lasted 45minutes to hour and they were out of town an hour after that .....i

Last edited by nightshadea; 09-16-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Rind View Post
I saw the same tour and had the same experience. Billy stopped the show a handful of times to lecture people in the front row and to threaten to end the set early. This just riled up the people in the pit and they stated throwing shoes on stage. I guess you gotta work with what you have, but seeing the rest of the show barefoot seems rough.
I never saw them in their heyday (I didn't really like them until about the middle of 1997; heck, I couldn't stand them but something just flipped in my head one day), but I did get a chance to see them twice in the last few years -- one on their semi-acoustic tour with Liz Phair, and one a year or two after that with 3/4 of the original band (no D'Arcy.) They were tight as hell live, well mixed, and Billy's voice was surprisingly good (that second show I saw was at a medium-sized venue -- the Aragon -- abpout 5000 capacity). I never wanted that concert to end. I've seen videos of some of the 90s concerts, and some of the stuff did seem quite rough to me. I would never want to see them in a stadium or large venue. (Though, I just love this 1994 live video of them at the 1994 Pinkpop Festival in the Netherlands. Yes, part of it is because it's a Jimmy Chamberlin camera angle, and I love watching that monster drum, but I also think the entire show has great energy.)

The only really disappointing concert I can remember is seeing Oasis live at a Hungarian music festival (Pepsi Sziget/Pepsi Island c. 2000). Band just looked absolutely bored onstage, but I do like their studio stuff.

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-16-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I've seen Dylan four times and he can be either great or lousy. I don't think he cares one way or the other. Studio version- you can understand the words. Live performances are like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates.
I saw him on a night he was lousy. But everyone else on stage - the backup singers, the musicians, even the crew - were so good and so tight, it almost didn't matter that the reason we were there was having an off night.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:13 PM

Regarding Smashing Pumpkins, I saw them (new Pumpkins with only original member Billy) about 12 years ago in a small ~1000 seat outdoor venue and thought Billy did a fine job. He talked and joked quite a bit and made to point to say they wouldn't be playing the old songs but then preceded to play a lot of the old songs. Sounded great to me at least during that show.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:12 PM

Almost any band that I have seen live more than twice has been inconsistent in their live performances. We once went to a Grateful Dead concert at Red Rocks that was so awesome we scrounged tickets and went back the next night. And the next night's show was...a real letdown. Much, much less energy. I don't think it was just us.

I saw Led Zeppelin a few times, and one of the shows was pretty droopy. It was like all the band members were drugged except one (I don't remember, Plant, I think) and that one was trying to rouse the rest, and failing.

The first time I saw the Moody Blues I was really, really disappointed, because they seemed to be making a lot of mistakes, which of course are covered up in the studio. And of course, the studio is about perfection and the live performance is about passion. But they didn't have a lot of passion either. I was so disappointed I didn't go to another live Moody Blues performance for 20 years, but then I got talked into it, and that one really worked.

Janis Joplin, great every time I saw her. Bob Dylan, same. Jethro Tull, up every time I saw them but in one case the acoustics were against them. Oddly enough their opening band (Steel-Eye Span) didn't seem to have the acoustics problem.

I do understand that it's hard to give a top performance, night after night. However, if you're a touring band that is your job. It's just another performance to you, it might be the most special night ever for some of the people in your audience. You would think they know that.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:22 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
. . . Jethro Tull, up every time I saw them but in one case the acoustics were against them . . .
I saw Tull way back, when they were on their 'Thick as a Brick' tour. Acoustics were good and they were outstanding.

But your comment reminded me of one band I saw where acoustics didn't even exist: The Beatles, August 1966.

Their lips were moving and they seemed to be playing their instruments but damned if I could hear anything. Well, anything other than the loud (and I mean LOUD) uninterrupted screaming of 20000 peripubescent 'youngsters'.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:45 PM

That reminds me. I only saw the Dead once. It turned out to be their 2nd to last show ever. This was in Chicago maybe in 95'. My wife and I were hyped to see one of great touring bands of all time. We like the Dead just fine but OMG was it terrible. It just seemed like it was a bad night. Not much chemistry or energy between them. Of course I now know that Jerry was in horrific shape but the whole thing was an audio fiasco. It didn't matter to the Deadheads but I knew it wasn't good. That was the first and only concert that I walked out of before it ended. It was just sad.

Last edited by Flare4roach; 09-16-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:38 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
... your comment reminded me of one band I saw where acoustics didn't even exist: The Beatles, August 1966.

Their lips were moving and they seemed to be playing their instruments but damned if I could hear anything. Well, anything other than the loud (and I mean LOUD) uninterrupted screaming of 20000 peripubescent 'youngsters'.
Apparently I'm an exception to the rule, but I saw them in August 1965, San Diego, and despite the screaming I had no trouble hearing what they were playing. I was 14. First concert I ever went to. It was wonderful.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

The Jefferson Airplane never sounded good on any tape of their live stuff I've ever heard. They did meticulous production on their albums, but the live shows always sounded like they were recorded through a string attached to a tin can. Most live stuff of that era sounds weak, true, but Santana still managed to sound incredible live on tape.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndisputedKingofNothing View Post
I heard NOFX sucks live.
They're not that horrible. My only issue was that even though I have 4 albums by them they only played 2 songs I knew. They weren't super-amazing but they were neither worse than their studio albums nor completely the same. Great crowd energy, though. The entire floor was one big pit the entire show.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndisputedKingofNothing View Post
I heard NOFX sucks live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
They're not that horrible. My only issue was that even though I have 4 albums by them they only played 2 songs I knew. They weren't super-amazing but they were neither worse than their studio albums nor completely the same. Great crowd energy, though. The entire floor was one big pit the entire show.
Whoosh??
Old 09-17-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Metal guitar is scooped mids. Or at least the Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer version. Take 1K (or so) and pull that shit down as far as you can go. Turn up the gain as high as you can and go.

However, in live situations it can muddy things too much. When I record I crank the mids down quite a bit. When playing with a band I bring them up some to cut through the drums/bass.

Slee
Old 09-17-2019, 06:20 PM

Willie Nelson, in Kansas City a few years ago. No energy, he just talked the lyrics, left the stage after about 45 minutes. My wife said, “Well, remember how old he is.” He acted too old to be in concert.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:53 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
The Jefferson Airplane never sounded good on any tape of their live stuff I've ever heard. They did meticulous production on their albums, but the live shows always sounded like they were recorded through a string attached to a tin can...
Agreed. And in terms of their musicianship, I think they were terrific on much of Bless Its Pointed Little Head, but far less impressive on any other live recording I've heard.

Last edited by TreacherousCretin; 09-17-2019 at 06:54 PM.