Old 10-08-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot From Guns View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
My memory from childhood was that everybody knew what the name Yogi Bear was based on.
Everybody has "known" a lot of things that were wrong. Did they ever posit a reasonable alternative explanation or did they just deny that Bear was based on Berra?
We apparently did this six months ago and the consensus seems to be that H-B just denied it, never offering their own explanation for the name.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=556616
Old 10-08-2010, 11:54 AM

That does make it more likely that they were just ass-covering, then. Ignorance fought.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:27 PM

Yeah, what's the last word on the naming of the Baby Ruth candy bar?
Old 10-09-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoid View Post
Scarecrow wants a brain...yet he's the smartest guy in the group who comes up with all the ideas.
Tinman wants a heart, but he's a sentimental lug.
Cowardly lion wants courage, and he's the toughest SOB there.

Duh.
Oh yeah. Wizard of Oz is just a series of embarrassments for me.

I was probably 13 before I realized the farmhands were the same actors as the traveling companions in Oz.

I was in college I think when I realized Scarecrow was smartest, Tin Man the most loving, and the lion was the bravest.

I was a couple years out of college when I realized the wizard sent them on a quest because he wanted them to die, or at least be taken prisoner by the witch, so they wouldn't be his problem.
It wasn't until "much later" that I found out the words to the flying monkeys' chant, and it still creeps me out a bit.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Okay, I'll bite. What ARE the words to the flying monkeys' chant?
Old 10-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Paging Skald! Paging Skald!

If anyone would know the words to the war chants of flying attack monkeys, I would think it would be Skald.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:02 PM

According to IMDB, the chant in the script is "O-Ee-Yah! Eoh-Ah!". I have no idea what that means in monkeyese.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Doing a quick search, I found this:

"There are many alleged lyrics to the 'Winkie Chant' performed by the Witch's guards, including 'All we own, we owe her', 'Oh we love the old one', and 'Oh we loathe the old one'. However, the correct version, seen in the film's screenplay, is 'O-Ee-Yah! Eoh-Ah!' and any other interpretations are simply the result of the listener's mind treating the chant as an audio ink blot."
Old 10-10-2010, 02:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
Yeah, what's the last word on the naming of the Baby Ruth candy bar?
Not the last word but it's pretty much the same as the Yogi Bear/Yogi Berra situation: too close to be a coincidence but the actual namers will never admit that. In the case of the candy bar, the company claimed that it was named after "Baby Ruth" Cleveland, Grover Cleveland's daughter who was something of a media sensation at the time of her birth.

But Ruth Cleveland was born in 1891 (and died in 1904). Babe Ruth the baseball player signed with the Yankees in 1919 and quickly became a celebrity. And the Curtiss Candy Company decided to rename one of their candy bars Baby Ruth in 1921. So you have to ask, were they naming it after the most famous athlete in the country or after a minor deceased celebrity whose fame has occurred thirty years earlier?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:57 AM

I finally realized one of the things that makes The Princess Bride such a great movie.

I've heard a lot of interviews with actors who say that it's most fun to play bad guys. And those really are great roles, sometimes; all the yelling and plotting and scheming. Alan Rickman was great in Die Hard, and every comic book or James Bond movie usually has a juicy role for the head villian. They get the lines that everyone remembers and quotes; "no, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!" (Were there even any good guys in Pulp Fiction?) I suspect it's been that way for as long as their have been mustaches to twirl.

The Princess Bride is the only movie I can think of that gives all the great lines to the good guys. Prince Humperdinck and Count Rugen are pretty thankless roles. The Albino has only one scene, really. Vizzini is great, but is dead soon enough. Think about all the great characters and memorable, quotable lines from The Princess Bride, and it's always the good guys.

I really can't think of another movie that does that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I've got you beat for obliviousness. I was dragged to see "some old jazz dude" in college. Hey, I'm a rock 'n' roll guy, but this Brubeck character wasn't bad...

But I didn't like all the hecklers. I mean, yelling at this guy to take a break? That's just rude.

(Yeah, a good chunk of the audience would randomly call out "Take Five!")
There's a singer I like who does a song called You're No Good. I don't think it gets requested very often.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:17 AM

Can this possibly be right? This page has ~118,000 views, out of about 2.2 million for Cafe Society. 1 out of every 22 page views in the history of CS has been this thread?
Old 10-10-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Can this possibly be right? This page has ~118,000 views, out of about 2.2 million for Cafe Society. 1 out of every 22 page views in the history of CS has been this thread?
Cafe Society has 2.2 million posts, not views.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Well, that's a potentially obvious thing about a creative work that I didn't realize...
Old 10-10-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
According to IMDB, the chant in the script is "O-Ee-Yah! Eoh-Ah!". I have no idea what that means in monkeyese.
If you listen very closely, you will hear them saying "Oh we love..the Old One." Naturally, they couldn't have a Satanic reference in the official script so they sanitized it.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Vizzini is great, but is dead soon enough. Think about all the great characters and memorable, quotable lines from The Princess Bride, and it's always the good guys.
Inconceivable!
Old 10-10-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Quote:
Vizzini is great, but is dead soon enough. Think about all the great characters and memorable, quotable lines from The Princess Bride, and it's always the good guys.
Inconceivable!
Yeah, but it turned out that word didn't mean what he thought it meant.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Than you very much. But as the OP, I have to point out that about half of the posts are people saying "I didn't realize that."
Old 10-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you listen very closely, you will hear them saying "Oh we love..the Old One." Naturally, they couldn't have a Satanic reference in the official script so they sanitized it.
First of all, that's a result of your listening very closely, not a result of them saying it. Second, even if they were saying that (which, I reiterate, they're not), what makes you think that "the Old One" is Satan? The obvious candidate for "Old One", in context, would be the Witch.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Here's a clip. Judge for yourselves.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

It's clear to me that they're saying:

Paul is dead. But only once. For twenty minutes. In 1960.

Last edited by Wendell Wagner; 10-10-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Quote:
First of all, that's a result of your listening very closely, not a result of them saying it. Second, even if they were saying that (which, I reiterate, they're not), what makes you think that "the Old One" is Satan? The obvious candidate for "Old One", in context, would be the Witch.
Even if it were to say that, which evidence contradicts, that would seem too innocuous for NetTrekker to say it "creeps me out" above. I suspect he heard something else.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 10-10-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
"There was a little tool shed where she made us suffer, The Old One"
Old 10-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Think about all the great characters and memorable, quotable lines from The Princess Bride, and it's always the good guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizzini
You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha... [thump]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellin
Oh, you mean this gate key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humperdinck
I would not say such things if I were you!
Quote:
Do you want me to send you back to where you were? Unemployed? In Greenland?!
Quote:
No more rhymes now, I mean it!
Quote:
Probably some local fisherman, out for a pleasure cruise, at night, in eel-infested waters.
Quote:
I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it: I'm swamped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugen
You've been chasing me your whole life only to fail now? I think that's about the worst thing I've ever heard. ... How marvelous.
Quote:
I knew he was bluffing. ... Iknewhewasn'tbluffing.
And that's leaving aside everything you get from Fezzik or Inigo when they're working with Vizzini, or anything from Westley when he's just The Man in Black. I think everybody gets good lines; you just don't have a lot of truly bad people.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Well...witches are in league with the Devil so the minion monkeys are as well, by proxy. And Satan is much older than the witch (unless of course she is an incarnation of the Old One himself )...it's simple math, really.

The sound of the chanting is not very clear on the YouTube clip; a low sampling rate was probably used to digitize it. You would probably have to go back to an actual analog film reel or VCR tape to hear the words more clearly.

And yes, it's creepy for such a supposedly 'innocent' film.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:40 PM

Maybe next people can post to tell us about the doll that says "Islam is the light." Someone remind me of the Straight Dope's motto, again?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it: I'm swamped.
Okay, I'll give you that one. And I did say Vizzini was great (and you left out one of my favorites).

But Fezzik and Inigo do turn out to be good guys, as does The Man in Black. I stand by what I said. The evil characters are mundane and banal (the Humperdinck quote plays on that); it's the good guys in that movie who have all the passion and verve. And the dialog reflects that.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:

But Fezzik and Inigo do turn out to be good guys, as does The Man in Black. I stand by what I said. The evil characters are mundane and banal (the Humperdinck quote plays on that); it's the good guys in that movie who have all the passion and verve. And the dialog reflects that.
Well, I was going to disagree with you vociferously, but this re-statement makes a lot of sense, so I will just provide a few quotes from another movie where the good guys get all the good lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton
When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
Quote:
Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
Quote:
We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we, Wang?
And, really, pretty much the rest of the script. The bad guys don't have a whole lot of screen time or dialog.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:14 AM

Speaking of bad-guy lines, it was a while into re-viewing BATMAN that I noticed the bit about the Joker's quote is woefully contrived. Remember the bit where he's preparing to shoot Bruce Wayne, and asks whether he's ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight? "I always ask that of all my prey," he explains. This prompts Bruce's flashback, remembering a youthful and Jack-Nicholson-esque mugger asking whether li'l Bruce has ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight, which thereby lets our hero make a key deduction.

Except . . . he doesn't ask that of all his prey. When gunning down Eckhardt, he just says "think about the future." When gunning down Grissom, he merely explains that "Jack is dead, my friend. You can call me Joker -- and as you can see, I'm a lot happier." Stab a mob boss in the neck with a sharpened quill? "Time to pay the check," he quips, adding that "the pen is truly mightier than the sword." Electrocute another mob boss? "Oh, I got a live one here ... hot tiiime, in the old tooown, tonight." And he doesn't mention the moonlight when he's blanketing parade-goers with poison gas, sure as he likewise doesn't bother when simply asking Bob for a gun, which he promptly shoots Bob with.

No, the only person he ever asks about dancing in the pale moonlight is Bruce Wayne. Why? To move the plot along.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Plus, he didn't shoot young Bruce the first time, so those he asks aren't necessarily his prey.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Okay, I'll give you that one. And I did say Vizzini was great (and you left out one of my favorites).

Going to disagree on this one. Rugen has some great lines; not just "that's the worst thing I've ever heard. How marvelous." but also "Tell me, how did that make you feel. Remember, this is for posterity."
Old 10-15-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Going to disagree on this one. Rugen has some great lines; not just "that's the worst thing I've ever heard. How marvelous." but also "Tell me, how did that make you feel. Remember, this is for posterity."
If "how did that make you feel" is a great line, you must be spellbound by your local newscast.

It's a good joke, that someone commiting such tortures would ask such a mundane question. But it is mundane. The bad guys in that movie are businesslike.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:56 PM

In Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle", the illegal religion to which everyone belongs has a tradition on which two people touch the bottoms of their feet together so that their souls can mingle. Years after reading that the first time and probably having read it a couple of times in between, I was telling a friend about the plot of the book and saying it out loud caused the peseta to fall. Souls=soles. D'uh.

Also, took me a couple of times through the Magic Christian (possibly my favorite movie, though it is not for everyone) to realize that Peter Sellers' character was gay. Makes the opening scene a bit funnier, once you know that.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
In Trevanian's novel The Eiger Sanction, I got that some of the names were jokes. But it wasn't until the third or fourth read that I caught the fact that Mr. Dragon's first name is Yurasis.
I have a smirking dragon shaped bong my mother gave me many years ago whose name is Yurasis. Few people figure that one out too!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:42 PM

"Your ass is dragon"?
Old 10-17-2010, 04:24 PM

"Your ass is draggin'."

As in, "You're not working fast enough/hard enough."
Old 10-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Dragonass by Anne McCaffeine.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
I have a smirking dragon shaped bong my mother gave me many years ago whose name is Yurasis.
For a bong it could also be "your ass is grass".

Your mother gave you a bong?
Old 10-17-2010, 08:38 PM

Maybe SmartAleq's real name is Rae Dawn?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:59 AM

Yes she did, and no unfortunately it's not. Just several generations of herbalists in my family... :innocent:
Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
It took me years to realize that "Brown Eyed Girl" was actually about anal sex.
I've never heard that before. I just read the lyrics, and still think it's a stretch. Did Van Morrison say that's what it's about?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:53 PM

I was in my 30s before I realized the the "F" in F-Troop might stand for a word they couldn't say on TV.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Nevada View Post
Well, I was going to disagree with you vociferously, but this re-statement makes a lot of sense, so I will just provide a few quotes from another movie where the good guys get all the good lines...

...[Big Trouble in Little China]...

And, really, pretty much the rest of the script. The bad guys don't have a whole lot of screen time or dialog.
"Indeed!"

"You were not put on this earth to 'get it' Mr Burton"
Old 10-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetTrekker View Post
It wasn't until "much later" that I found out the words to the flying monkeys' chant, and it still creeps me out a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Doing a quick search, I found this:

"There are many alleged lyrics to the 'Winkie Chant' performed by the Witch's guards, including 'All we own, we owe her', 'Oh we love the old one', and 'Oh we loathe the old one'. However, the correct version, seen in the film's screenplay, is 'O-Ee-Yah! Eoh-Ah!' and any other interpretations are simply the result of the listener's mind treating the chant as an audio ink blot."
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Even if it were to say that, which evidence contradicts, that would seem too innocuous for NetTrekker to say it "creeps me out" above. I suspect he heard something else.
Why is everyone discussing the Winkies' chant when the subject was supposed to be the flying monkies' chant? Or did NetTrekker write the latter and mean the former?
Old 10-18-2010, 01:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
I've never heard that before. I just read the lyrics, and still think it's a stretch. Did Van Morrison say that's what it's about?
I think nearly every 18 year old boy I've ever been around has made this tired joke. Usually while giggling girlishly.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnLeaves View Post
I think nearly every 18 year old boy I've ever been around has made this tired joke. Usually while giggling girlishly.
And while also missing the line that was the actually controversial one when the song was released: "My, how you have grown." Which could be a reference to pregnancy--a little bit hard to achieve through anal.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rieux View Post
I was in my 30s before I realized the the "F" in F-Troop might stand for a word they couldn't say on TV.
That's okay. It was a couple of decades before it occurred to me that the "KRP" in "WKRP" might somehow not be meant to suggest "carp," as Les said it did in one epsiode.

This despite having seen the episode in question when it first aired, and completely missing the import of the line "what else would it be?"
Old 10-18-2010, 04:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And while also missing the line that was the actually controversial one when the song was released: "My, how you have grown." Which could be a reference to pregnancy--a little bit hard to achieve through anal.
I always figured it was controversial because of the implication that she was quite young when they started makin' love in the green grass, never looked at it that way. Interesting.

Last edited by AutumnLeaves; 10-18-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:59 PM

IIRC, I got that particular bit of info from my mother, that being her recollection of the attitudes about the song when it was released. "My mom says so!" isn't much of a cite, but our family is known for being a bunch of crapheads* who tend to kill at games like Trivial Pursuit--especially Mom.

*A self-selected term meaning "people who remember a bunch of useless crap."
Old 10-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher View Post
Why is everyone discussing the Winkies' chant when the subject was supposed to be the flying monkies' chant? Or did NetTrekker write the latter and mean the former?
It's been awhile since I last saw the film, and I was thinking they were one and the same. If not, what does NetTrekker think the chant is, as I can find nothing about a "flying-monkey chant."
Old 11-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

I don't know what the hell I was dreaming this morning, but I woke up thinking about the title of Dylan's song Love Minus Zero/No Limit. I never noticed in all the decades this song has been around, and wiki doesn't mention it either, that in tennis LOVE=ZERO.

Good one, Bobby.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 11-10-2010 at 08:32 AM.