Old 08-04-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post

rowrrbazzle, loved the information about the music in West Side Story. The older I get, the more I appreciate that particular musical. I was told that some famous building -- the Kennedy Center or the Met -- is located where they shot the final fight scene. What is a shofar? (And don't tell me it's a man who drives rich Southern women to the spa. I know better.)
A shofar is a horn made from the horn of a ram that is blown at certain times of day and for religious rituals in the jewish faith.
Short clip explaining shofars
Old 08-04-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm View Post
I speak in an English "RP" accent and I pronounce "diagonally":

dye-AG-ən-əl-ee

"Diagon Alley" would be pronounced

dye-AG-ən AL-ee
Midwesterner checking in here. (although I don't speak nasally or use Chicago slang).

Diagonally: same as you RPers: dye/AG/en/al/lee (don't know how to do a schwa e)

Diagon Alley: DYE/a/gon . AL/lee.

I think I see where our mix up is. No matter, I get the pun now.

Last edited by eleanorigby; 08-04-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:43 PM

In George R. R. Martin's Songs of Ice and Fire series, it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that Renly and Loras Tyrell were gay lovers.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
One theory is that Dylan intentionally set the verses out of order, and the last verse is actually the first. Thus the story begins with the title phrase, and the two riders are seen before they are identified by name.
Seconding Nobody, but I've never heard this either. And if it is backwards and they're on the horses in the ending, who is having the conversation at the beginning? And if it is the Joker and the Thief, what does it mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Young Frankenstein: In Inspector Kemp's first scene at the town meeting, he breathes on his monocle, polishes it on his jacket, and then puts it on the eye that has an eyepatch on it.

And I think there a later scene where the torch-bearing mob is out looking for the monster and he puts a finger to his mouth to shoosh them that it's his left arm that's wooden. (All the other times it's his right.) I'll have to see it again to confirm that. The eyepatch probably changes sides, too.
Yeah, his arm changes visibly throughout the scenes as well as the eye patch. IIRC there's even a scene where Gene Wilder is looking at the Inspector's arm and seems to be on the verge of asking him about it when he lets it go. There are several Mel Brooke's movies like this (generally all of them) where if you watch them long enough you'll catch some small little thing that you missed before.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:14 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staver808 View Post
And if it is backwards and they're on the horses in the ending, who is having the conversation at the beginning? And if it is the Joker and the Thief, what does it mean?
It would be the Joker and the Thief speaking at the beginning, and the topic would be the same - how to get out of wherever they are. (I guess they would be talking about escaping the area, since they are outside and the wind is howling, rather than perhaps escaping the watchtower.) I hadn't heard this before, but it's interesting. Wikipedia cites a 1968 interview where Dylan says the events of the song take place in "a rather reverse order," which might not be an acknowledgement that he put the first verse last, but indicates the song can be read that way.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:25 PM

Another thread reminded me of one I only figured out recently.

Battlefield Earth: a really bad movie based on a book by L. Ron Hubbard.

John Travolta: an early celebrity Scientologist. "Star" of Battlefield Earth.

Light bulb goes off- there's a connection!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:56 PM

I am not so sure that Grimauld Place is named for "Grim Old Place". A grimalkin is a cantankerous old woman--fits Sirius' mum to a T.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:07 PM

One more Wizard of Oz that I realized at the age of 44 years, 4 months, 22 days...

When the eponymous Wizard leaves Oz, he names the scarecrow as his successor. The scarecrow is a straw man.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorigby View Post
I am not so sure that Grimauld Place is named for "Grim Old Place". A grimalkin is a cantankerous old woman--fits Sirius' mum to a T.
You and I obviously pronounce Grimauld Place very, very differently.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
You and I obviously pronounce Grimauld Place very, very differently.
Heh. I didn't mean that Grimalkin would be pronounced the same as Grimauld--I was thinking that grimalkin acted as the inspiration for Grimauld Place.

It probably would have helped if I had included that in my post. And I wonder why sometimes I'm misunderstood.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
Isaac was Esau's dad. Jacob was the twin brother.

Are you saying that "pulling one's leg" comes from the Bible story?
MY G_D! I Just Got SOMETHING!

Jacob is grabbing Esau's heel/foot/leg as they're being born.

When Jacob is renamed (reborn as) Israel in the rasslin' match with The Angel, his leg/thigh is knocked out of place by The Wrestler!

I have read that LOTS OF TIMES and either forgot it or never got it at all!

Now to Rosemary's Baby- Yes, the Rose is a Medieval symbol for Christ- the olde Christmas song "Lo, how a Rose ere Bloometh..." is a case in point. Also, Mary is called "Lady of the Rose/Roses" as was noted before. I don't know why people still aren't getting it.

And as for mine, Strawberry Alarm Clock's song "Incense and Peppermints"- I loved that song for almost 20 years. Around 1992, I was visiting a pot-head friend who burned a lot of incense and mentioned having to eat a peppermint when her Mom visited. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Also, on SNL soon after Charles and Diana's wedding, Andy Warhol told a joke:
Where did Prince Charles spend his honeymoon? Indiana.

I thought it was just a stupid non sequiter... for years.

One day when Charles & Diana were in the news- Ohhhhhhhh!

Last edited by FriarTed; 08-04-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I thought that was just because Judy Garland was particularly sympathetic and helpful to the gay cause.
How? By birthing Liza Minelli?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Revenant
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdad View Post
I listened to, played, and sang "All Along the Watchtower" a bazillion times before I realized the two approaching riders were, in fact, the Joker and the Thief. I thought they were inside the compound with the watchtower where princes kept the view, and it was that place thatthey had to get out of!
I googled the lyrics and re-read them (has anyone else noticed how often lyrics Web sites are wrong?). I don't get it. It doesn't make sense with the riders being the Joker and the Thief. What makes you think they are? What does the song mean if they are? The lyrics make little enough sense as it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Thank you for answering my question from three pages ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDeer View Post
Panache45: Someone DID mention the FedEx arrow. Roadfood, post # 78, page 2, about halfway down.
Just for the record, referring to "pages" on this site is completely meaningless. Post #175 might be on page 4 for you, but it's on page 1 for me, and it may be on page 2 for someone else.

There are settings in the User Control Panel that let you determine how many posts you see per page.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:20 PM

I thought "Friends of Dorothy" came from Dorothy Parker of Algonquin Round Table fame...yep, that's what Wikipedia says too, although I seems to remember a more authoritative source. The phrase goes way back...
Old 08-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Well, no, but there's not an animal called a "roo", or a "kanga".
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Sabbath View Post
True. (Gopher is a Disney creation, by the way.) And you're right, all the animals except Rabbit and Owl are toys, and named after 'real' toys.
So Piglet is a real piglet?
Old 08-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
One more Wizard of Oz that I realized at the age of 44 years, 4 months, 22 days...

When the eponymous Wizard leaves Oz, he names the scarecrow as his successor. The scarecrow is a straw man.
I've seen the movie hundreds of times and never got that till just now. Guess I have you beat at 44 years, 9 months and 21 days.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorigby View Post
Isn't a grimalkin a grey cat?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:07 PM

It's both!

grimalkin
Old 08-04-2009, 08:33 PM

I see.

Would you believe there are no cats named Grimalkin on Petfinder? I mean, a whole database full of animal shelters, and not one think to name a kitteh Grimalkin. Or Schrodinger, for that matter.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:04 PM

I've listened to Helplessly Hoping by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young for years, but it wasn't until earlier this year that I heard this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSNY
They are one person
They are two alone
They are three together
They are for each other
As each line is sung, another voice is added.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Ah, thank you! I expect I'll end up with a cat someday when I have my own place, and had already decided I would call it "Tybalt" or "Tevildo" if it's male, but I never could think of a good name if it's female.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDavid View Post
I thought "Friends of Dorothy" came from Dorothy Parker of Algonquin Round Table fame...yep, that's what Wikipedia says too, although I seems to remember a more authoritative source. The phrase goes way back...
I've read everything written on the Algonquin group and I don't remember ever coming across a reference to Friends of Dorothy pertaining to Parker.

I'd need to see some contemporary cites before I believed it.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
So Piglet is a real piglet?
No, the real boy had a stuffed pig named Piglet. (Winnie the Pooh is named after a real bear from Winipeg.)
Old 08-05-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiblioCat View Post
I've seen the movie hundreds of times and never got that till just now. Guess I have you beat at 44 years, 9 months and 21 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post

What am I missing here?

I'm also not believing that "Freinds of Dorothy" refers to Dorothy Parker.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yookeroo View Post
What am I missing here?
Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 AM

Straw man- someone used as a front for a questionable or non-existent enterprise, which the "Wizard" himself was. So when he left, he named the Straw Man as the straw man.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Since you're having so much fun with "Rosemary," here's an annotation about the first names of the Satanic couple the Castevets:

Roman is obviously a reference to the Roman Catholic Church. The conception takes place when the Pope is visiting New York City. Ira Levin wanted to have the child born on June 25, 1966, and looked back nine months to see what was happening at the right time for the conception. When he realized the Pope was in town, he felt the book had to be.

The first part of the plan is for Rosemary to eat the drugged mousse made by Mrs. Castevet, who pronouces it "chocolate mouse." Her first name is Minnie. Yes, Rosemary is done in by Minnie's Mouse (I don't know if Levin had the pun in mind when he named her, but it's too good not to mention).
Old 08-05-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Since you're having so much fun with "Rosemary,"
Could you explain what the significance was to you?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

inching closer to this area

FWIW - Don't know when it was - and don't really have the time to search - but there was a thread a couple years ago that I participated in dealing with what we in the sci-ed biz call misconceptions. There's a great deal of research on how children come to school with notions about nature, and the difficulty of addressing these misconceptions. The point: All of us at one time or another had bizarre, irrational ideas about the world and how it works, and eventually saw the light. Usually. (Some people still think blood in our veins is blue, e.g.) I've collected a number of these beliefs from folks in the courses I teach and there's a continual new supply each semester. This thread is a nice way to see how we're all quite naive about many common things, and we're all life-long learners.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
(Some people still think blood in our veins is blue, e.g.)
Yeah, so many diagrams in school textbooks show blue blood, you can hardly blame people for believing it. It was many years after leaving school with good grades in biology that I realised it was wrong.

Last edited by Peter Morris; 08-05-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain Bead View Post
In George R. R. Martin's Songs of Ice and Fire series, it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that Renly and Loras Tyrell were gay lovers.
When I started reading these I looked back on the SDMB to read some threads - there's a whole thread on "stuff I was too dim a bulb to catch" that makes me kind of wonder about some of you people. People didn't realise that whatshername Stark died in childbirth?

For extra points, what happened to Princess Rhaenys' kitten?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Yeah, so many diagrams in school textbooks show blue blood, you can hardly blame people for believing it.
Not to mention the fact that one's veins tend to look blue.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:30 AM

This is kind of an obscure one -- someone mentioned Lou Reed upthread, and it reminded me.

In Lou Reed's song "Dirty Blvd" he has a line "the TV whores are calling the cops out for a suck."

For the longest time, I thought this was some kind of inscrutable comment on the media.

And then, out of nowhere, I realized -- oh, here TV doesn't mean television, it means transvestite! That makes much more sense!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:56 AM

I first read the novel Carrie over thirty years ago. I have seen the movie countless times.

I only realised last year why the elaborate "prank" that they played on her consisted of coating her in blood.

Because of what happens in the shower room at the start.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
I've got two.

The first is from The Usual Suspects. I used to complain that the Kobayashi character made no sense. He had a European face, a Japanese name and a Pakistani accent. Finally, someone explained to me that:

SPOILER:
In all likelihood, Kobayashi either never existed or was completely different from how he was portrayed in the movie. Remember that what we were seeing was merely Kint/Soze's bullshit story. Oh, we saw someone at the end who looked like Kobayashi, but how could we know who he really was. He could have been just another driver.
Right. He invented the character from a bunch of sources: the name came from the manufacturer of the coffee cup, the accent from a news paper clipping on the wall, and the face from an accomplice. Same for Redfoot and everyone else we meet. He weaves such an amazing story that it isn't until later, when the illusion is gone, that Agent Kujan sees the BS for what it is.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSexton View Post
Right. He invented the character from a bunch of sources: the name came from the manufacturer of the coffee cup, the accent from a news paper clipping on the wall, and the face from an accomplice. Same for Redfoot and everyone else we meet.
[Emphasis added.]

Although this is probably fairly obvious, the name "Redfoot" was used because it's close to "red herring" which, as it turns out, the character most definitely is.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 08-05-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
[Emphasis added.]

Although this is probably fairly obvious, the name "Redfoot" was used because it's close to "red herring" which, as it turns out, the character most definitely is.
"Redfoot" is seen an an alias of a criminal on a wanted poster on the wall of the office (I believe an African American woman)... I've never thought.. "Ohhh REDfoot... RED herring!" .. i think that's not at all obvious.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
When I started reading these I looked back on the SDMB to read some threads - there's a whole thread on "stuff I was too dim a bulb to catch" that makes me kind of wonder about some of you people. People didn't realise that whatshername Stark died in childbirth?

For extra points, what happened to Princess Rhaenys' kitten?
Nope. Didn't realize anything but anything until I read the comments on it. Still prolly missed a whole lotta important stuff. I'm not good at reading between the lines.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Zoe, while it's possible that the final fight scene in West Side Story was supposed to be the place where the Met is now, it's certainly not the place where the Kennedy Center is, since that's in Washington, not New York.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:41 AM

Overture, hit the lights

Bugs Bunny cartoons were/are still some of my favorites, but the classical music shorts, even the ones with Sylvester rank as the best. I honestly didn't know for quite a while that the music had been composed several dozens of years earlier, and [I]not[I] by the musicians employed by Merrie Melodies, Looney Tunes, or whatever. It was only after second grade or so that I discovered the names of the real guys and heard symphonies playing the pieces without the accompanying animation.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdebosco View Post
Bugs Bunny cartoons were/are still some of my favorites, but the classical music shorts, even the ones with Sylvester rank as the best. I honestly didn't know for quite a while that the music had been composed several dozens of years earlier, and [I]not[I] by the musicians employed by Merrie Melodies, Looney Tunes, or whatever. It was only after second grade or so that I discovered the names of the real guys and heard symphonies playing the pieces without the accompanying animation.
I wonder how many concertgoers listening to a performance of Wagner's Die Walküre can't help humming to themselves, "Kill the Wabbit! Kill the Wabbit!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koxinga View Post
I wonder how many concertgoers listening to a performance of Wagner's Die Walküre can't help humming to themselves, "Kill the Wabbit! Kill the Wabbit!
Totally reminds me of a Boy Meets World episode where Eric goes to the opera and at first he doesn't get it but then he's all, "The songs from Looney Tunes!"
Old 08-06-2009, 02:13 PM

In Jurassic Park (the movie), Dr Grant struggles with the helicopter's seat belt. When he realizes he has two female connectors, he ties them together. It took me a while to see that this was foreshadowing how the all-female dino population would find a way to hook up and breed.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koxinga View Post
I spend half the time I listen to Wagner singing Bugs Bunny's lyrics and the other half reciting Anna Russell's monologue.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
In Jurassic Park (the movie), Dr Grant struggles with the helicopter's seat belt. When he realizes he has two female connectors, he ties them together. It took me a while to see that this was foreshadowing how the all-female dino population would find a way to hook up and breed.
I don't think that's obvious, but it's cool!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Ahhh, thanks. I don't pronounce meadow like meta so that never occurred to me. I thought maybe a meta was some kind of milking tool.
In certain USA dialects both words would be very close to "medda." (Shifting the unvoiced dental "t" to the voiced dental "d" is common all around the US; shifting the "ow" to "uh" is more specifically a southern thing, I'd wager.)
Old 08-06-2009, 06:30 PM

Re the blue blood. It's depicted that way in diagrams as a way to differentiate it from the oxygenated blood (the red stuff); it helps people see the difference between the arterial "system" and the venous one. Of course, it's not really blue.... but there is that phrase, "blue-blood" meaning someone of high stature and lineage etc.

Language is confusing!
Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Gore Vidal doesn't exactly go out of his way to bury them (there was a new edition as recently as 1991), but few people remember that in the early 50s he wrote three mystery novels under the name of Edgar Box. (Death in the Fifth Position, Death Before Bedtime, and Death Likes It Hot.)

They stand up well, as long as you approach them like watching an early version of Mad Men. (Or Royal Pains, since the last is set on the Hamptons and could easily be reprocessed to be an episode.) Well written, obviously, and with Vidal's trademark wit and vituperation at the American rich. His hero is heterosexual, of course, and it's fun to watch him bed nymphomaniacal women while casting slurs at a gay scene that Vidal obviously knows a million times better than other mystery writers of the day.

I've been re-reading them, They were entirely forgotten, though one is a first edition (in terrible shape, alas). And it struck me. Edgar Box. Edgar, as in Poe. And Box, as in... Having read the books, Box was almost certainly vagina. Never occurred to me before.

(Let's also celebrate his part in the greatest debate in the history of television: )
Quote:
from ABC News, August 28, 1968.

Vidal: "the only pro or crypto-Nazi here is yourself."

Buckley: "Now listen, you queer, you stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I'll sock you in the goddamn face and you'll stay plastered."

Last edited by Exapno Mapcase; 08-06-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Here is something my wife and I have been discussing and it counts both as something we recently noticed and something that we don't understand.

It's regarding Voldemort's return to life in Harry Potter.

I guess in my mind, I had it understood that Voldemort was able to come back to life because Peter Pettigrew did the spell in the graveyard and that it used a Horcrux. Therefore, he should have only had 5 Horcruxes, with the 6th part of his soul in his new body.

Basically, I'm confused. How did he get resurrected without using a Horcrux up? I thought the point was that you could divide yourself up. I figured Voldemort had 7 deaths he could survive.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Basically, I'm confused. How did he get resurrected without using a Horcrux up? I thought the point was that you could divide yourself up. I figured Voldemort had 7 deaths he could survive.
The Horcruxes set up the ability to come back: they held pieces of his soul so that it would be available for him to return. No Horcruxes were actually used in his graveyard resurrection.

SPOILER:
Except Harry, of course, the Horcrux he didn't know he'd made. Which later led to a tired joke among single Dark Wizards: "Hey, [name], do you have any Horcruxes that you know of?"

Nagini was around, and she was a Horcrux by that point, but it's not like she was an actual part of the spell.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 08-06-2009 at 08:55 PM.