Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5501  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:48 PM
scabpicker's Avatar
scabpicker is offline
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Funkytown (Fort Worth)
Posts: 4,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
I've never been one to believe in tone woods for electric guitars. Do pencils make a good tone wood? Who knows, but this guitar sounds terrific.
Umm, I would say you don't really know if that guitar sounds terrific. For starters, you only hear it through a heavily processed signal, and no other way. It's a good sounding chorus pedal, though. Any guitar could get you that tone, really. It could be made out of paper and sound nearly the same. It is a nice looking guitar, but so are clear Dan Armstrongs. They can both get that sound out of a chorus, so can a Steinberger or a Teisco Del Rey.

I didn't believe in tone woods, either until I watched the videos I linked to before. That test is pretty conclusive, to me. In contrast to the pencil guitar demo, there's not even an amp coloring the tone. The wood (even non-structural wood) affects the tone of the guitar. It's less of a factor than the actual suspension method of the strings and the pickups, or the effect of the pickup design and wiring, and most of those are totally tiny compared to your amp selection and EQ settings when dealing with a solid body - but it's there.

Last edited by scabpicker; 02-13-2019 at 11:49 PM.
  #5502  
Old 02-14-2019, 08:22 AM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
I didn't believe in tone woods, either until I watched the videos I linked to before.
Can you link to it again, I'd love to see it. Unless it's one of those tests where some dude plays a Strat with a maple neck/ash body and then a Strat with a rosewood neck/some other "tone wood", and then draws conclusions.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 02-14-2019 at 08:25 AM. Reason: typo
  #5503  
Old 02-14-2019, 08:30 AM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,416
Because I've seen tests online where someone makes the mistake you are alluding to, about not really knowing what the guitars in the test sound like. You have their setup, their mic, their amp, etc, and then you only hear it from your speakers at home. Now, as for my comment about how the pencil guitar sounded, I did not mean to draw any conclusions from just that, it was merely a throw-away line. I would not even consider giving an actual conclusion until it was involved in a double or even triple blind test.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 02-14-2019 at 08:31 AM.
  #5504  
Old 02-14-2019, 09:26 AM
scabpicker's Avatar
scabpicker is offline
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Funkytown (Fort Worth)
Posts: 4,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
Can you link to it again, I'd love to see it. Unless it's one of those tests where some dude plays a Strat with a maple neck/ash body and then a Strat with a rosewood neck/some other "tone wood", and then draws conclusions.
Sure thing, here's both of them. The second has an amp in the mix, but the first is straight into the D.I.


Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Ok, so I've been pretty firm in my position that tone wood is complete nonsense, and occasionally kind of vocal about it. I felt that if it didn't realistically change the way the pickups and string supporting hardware behaved, it wasn't going to affect the sound of a solid body guitar.

Then I watched this video from Tim Sway. He built a maple slug with pickup and neck that he can use to switch out of several tone wood bodies that he's CNC routed to fit the slug snugly, recorded into a direct input. No tone controls, volume knob or amp to get in the way of the test, and he strums/sustains an E chord on each.

Much to my surprise, even with the wood supporting the pickups/strings being the same, they all sound a teeny bit different. The tone woods all sound largely the same, as well as the heavy exotic wood. The poplar and the solid core door scrap sound brighter, and maybe a bit more complex. The MDF sounds somewhere between the bare slug and the tone woods. I suspect this test really is revealing how density affects the tone, and if the MDF slug holder was thicker, it would probably sound more like the tone woods.

So, I was wrong, even wood that doesn't support the strings and pickups has an effect on the overall sound. However, in the case of the woods that are usually revered, this difference seems very small. Plus, reclaimed solid core door might sound better. Be sure to watch the end where he edits together several takes with the different guitars through the amp. They all sound pretty close, but there are differences.

So, it's my hat to eat, but with those caveats it's still pretty tasty.

Oh, and I'm getting an $85 used(in my case), around $140 new Epiphone Les Paul Special I - bolt on neck w/P90s. Lots of cheap guitars are pretty great, and I have high hopes for this one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Missed the edit window, but here is his follow up with just poplar, mahogany and swamp ash playing a song through that reverbrocket. The differences are a little more pronounced in that case, I can actually kind of pick out which one is which with my eye closed. I can certainly tell when they switch. I still kind of like the poplar better, but the others kind of catch up when the amp is in the mix.
  #5505  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:04 AM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,416
Interesting test, but it has the same problem that others have had. And that is, you have one guy doing the test. Who knows how his attack might have changed when playing each guitar? It's not scientific. It convinced me of nothing. And even though this is not relevant to a scientific test, I just don't see how the wood of an electric guitar, which typically has strings that are attached to the body using some metal bridge or the like, can affect how the strings vibrate over the pickups. Now, just because I can't understand how that could happen doesn't invalidate the proposition. But I'd love some try to explain that to me. And especially, how on earth a maple neck vs a rosewood neck can change the sound, given that you press the strings down on a metal fret, so what difference does it make what kind of wood is used?
  #5506  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:54 AM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,228
I'm pretty sure you affect the perceived tone of an electric guitar much more by practicing than by changing the wood in the body.

Noy only that but the ear adjusts to the baseline sounds coming out of a source, and bakes it into the psychological cake after seconds or so. After that you are listening for the song, and the playing.
  #5507  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 PM
scabpicker's Avatar
scabpicker is offline
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Funkytown (Fort Worth)
Posts: 4,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
Interesting test, but it has the same problem that others have had. And that is, you have one guy doing the test. Who knows how his attack might have changed when playing each guitar? It's not scientific. It convinced me of nothing.
I'm not sure how this objection amounts to anything. There's nothing ergonomic that changed with the bodies making him strum differently, and he went into the test assuming they would sound the same. He also said they sounded the same to him when he was playing them, and only noticed the difference on editing/playback.

I think the only way to satisfy your objection would be to have a machine playing the guitar. I don't see that happening soon, but hey, Tim Sway might be the man to do it. But at this point I doubt it would make a difference, even if it would be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
And even though this is not relevant to a scientific test, I just don't see how the wood of an electric guitar, which typically has strings that are attached to the body using some metal bridge or the like, can affect how the strings vibrate over the pickups. Now, just because I can't understand how that could happen doesn't invalidate the proposition. But I'd love some try to explain that to me.
Well, my theory would be that the sound reflects throughout the rest of the body, and those vibrations change the sound that's transmitted into the strings themselves in ways we can perceive. Even though this sounds reasonable to me (and did before, I just discounted it), I'm not sure how you'd "prove" this theory other than an experiement like the one in the video with a piezo inserted between the slug and the body, and another (or several) mounted on the slug. Then you could compare the frequencies at each, and have some idea after playing it without the body. Even then, it would take some thought to cancel out the noise in that measurement.

But as I said before, the difference is small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
And especially, how on earth a maple neck vs a rosewood neck can change the sound, given that you press the strings down on a metal fret, so what difference does it make what kind of wood is used?
Umm, I have never made such a claim about fret board wood, and the video above has the same fret board for all bodies. I'm still in the camp that thinks the fret board material may make you feel differently about the guitar, but unless there's an actual defect in it, it's going to change the timbre less than the body does.

The body doesn't affect much (it's certainly less than pickups or bridge style), but it's there. It'll take an enterprising experimenter like the above to convince me that board wood matters.


Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I'm pretty sure you affect the perceived tone of an electric guitar much more by practicing than by changing the wood in the body.
What exercise shall I practice to change the timbre of my instrument, pray tell? After playing stringed instruments for 40 years, I can already fret properly even on instruments without frets, and am well familiar with picking in different intensities and areas of the string to get different timbres. How shall I practice to change the sound of the guitar body from mahogany to reclaimed solid core door without touching the knobs? Please be specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Noy only that but the ear adjusts to the baseline sounds coming out of a source, and bakes it into the psychological cake after seconds or so. After that you are listening for the song, and the playing.
Yeah, I'd like a cite for that. I've played my Jazz at the last two practices, and nothing besides changing the EQ liberally* at the end of the last practice would make it sound close to my Precision. If the sound was going to be baked into the psychological cake in seconds, it should have happened over nearly six hours of two practices.


*Rolling off the bridge pickup completely, boosting the bass frequencies, and moving the mid peak down. I knew it sounded weak, but didn't fix it until the singer complained that my bass had recently disappeared. It still didn't sound exactly the same, but it was a lot closer to the same point in the mix of everyone else.

Last edited by scabpicker; 02-14-2019 at 10:49 PM.
  #5508  
Old 02-24-2019, 01:19 AM
scabpicker's Avatar
scabpicker is offline
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Funkytown (Fort Worth)
Posts: 4,754
Well, after a few weeks of weather getting in the way, my 2017 Epi Les Paul Special I finally arrived this week. I've had a few days with it now, and I'm pretty impressed with my $89 guitar. The finish is semi-transparent, and the body seems to be a single solid block of wood (probably nato). The pickups are alnico V P-90s, and it sounded pretty good upon arrival. Bright, throaty, and a little aggressive.

But, it's not without issues. I'm not crazy about the worn black finish. I'm not sure what Gibson/Epiphone is thinking, there. It looks fine, and doesn't show prints, but it rubs off on stuff. Even though this is a used guitar that was played a bit, with some fret wear below the 5th fret, the neck still leaves a blue/black spot on my thumb when I play it. My 2012 SGJ has a similar finish, but it's been played enough that my thumb doesn't turn red. It's not the end of the world, but the Gibson/Epi worn finishes are the only guitars I've ever played that do this. I know that they use this finish because shooting clear on top would cost a bit more, but guys, please try to find a similar finish that isn't so easy to rub off.

The wraparound bridge is a little chewed up, but that's pretty common with that style, and it doesn't adversely affect the sound. I'll probably put a badass-style bridge on it or a Wilkinson bridge shortly, since the intonation on the fixed Gibson-style one is always a little wonky. This one is fine on the low E and A, a little sharp on the D and G, B is fine, E is low. My guitarist thinks the fixed compensation on the original is part of the style's charm, but I'm not sure I agree. I can always put the old one back on if I find that I'm wrong.

The tuning gears are a little loose, so tuning it is more work than on a more expensive guitar, but they do operate properly and hold tune. I probably won't replace them until I break one though.

Also, the second fret was high on the treble side and causing a buzz, so I originally just pulled out the screwdriver and moved the action a bit higher on the first day. Today I pulled out the files and filed it down and polished it. The action wasn't unreasonably high before - but it was an easy fix, and no reason to not do it. It plays/sounds equal to most of my other P-90 and P-90-ish equipped guitars, now - even the cheapest of them was several times the price of this guitar. There's no reason someone couldn't gig with this $89 guitar after a little love. Ok, the first few shows will get you a blue thumb, cry me a river.
  #5509  
Old 02-24-2019, 12:47 PM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
I'm not sure how this objection amounts to anything. There's nothing ergonomic that changed with the bodies making him strum differently, and he went into the test assuming they would sound the same. He also said they sounded the same to him when he was playing them, and only noticed the difference on editing/playback.

I think the only way to satisfy your objection would be to have a machine playing the guitar. I don't see that happening soon, but hey, Tim Sway might be the man to do it. But at this point I doubt it would make a difference, even if it would be interesting.
As I started reading your response, I thought, a good way to do this type of test would be a machine of some kind.

The objection is again, that it is not scientific. The person judging the sound of the guitars should not be setting up the test. For all I know, Tim played exactly the same on each guitar, but I don't know this to absolutely be the case.
Quote:
Umm, I have never made such a claim about fret board wood, and the video above has the same fret board for all bodies.
Right, my apologies on that. I didn't mean you, I was thinking of others I have discussed this with, and tests in general, not Tim's.
  #5510  
Old 04-04-2019, 05:54 AM
Face Intentionally Left Blank's Avatar
Face Intentionally Left Blank is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hooterville
Posts: 3,039
My Snark snapped, then snuck off.

I glued it back together, then I lost it in a move. I thought it was great- cheap, worked great and never gave me cause to even think about it. It seems that my experience with it breaking is not unusual, though. They have a design flaw that makes them prone to breaking at the ball joint where it connects to the clamp.

So I need a cheap Snark replacement to help with tuning an electric guitar, one that won't break easily. Suggestions?
__________________
The healthy wear a crown that only the sick can see.
  #5511  
Old 04-05-2019, 01:38 AM
Face Intentionally Left Blank's Avatar
Face Intentionally Left Blank is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hooterville
Posts: 3,039
Guess I'll go with the Korg Sledgehammer Pro. Overall good reviews, and I like the big display. My vision isn't so good these days.
  #5512  
Old 04-05-2019, 09:09 AM
swampspruce's Avatar
swampspruce is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cool Pool
Posts: 4,520
Personally, I like the Snarks and it's not like they are super pricy. Why not just buy a few of them or take it off the neck when you aren't using it?
__________________
Life is an economy. Where everything must be traded for something else and the value of all things rise and fall with the amount of attention and effort you put into them. -Mark Manson
  #5513  
Old 04-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Face Intentionally Left Blank's Avatar
Face Intentionally Left Blank is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hooterville
Posts: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
Personally, I like the Snarks and it's not like they are super pricy. Why not just buy a few of them or take it off the neck when you aren't using it?
Yeah, I loved my Snark. I treated it gently, but still managed to break it. I think I'd just buy another, but I'm tempted by the Korg because of the bigger display. My vision's pretty poor. Guess I'll think it over.
  #5514  
Old 04-05-2019, 09:10 PM
scabpicker's Avatar
scabpicker is offline
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Funkytown (Fort Worth)
Posts: 4,754
Hmm, for an electric, I'd normally suggest just about any pedal tuner over a Snark. It doubles as a mute switch, too. I personally prefer the Boss, because they pretty much don't break.

Speaking of pedals, I got two rare/odd ones in the last month from Idiotbox effects. Mystery Effect #7, and Mystery Effect of the Month Club effect #3 (the Space Mod-Delay-Tor ). They're both delays. I thought ME #7 was a weird delay (and it is) until I got the Space Mod-Delay-Tor. Both are made using the PT2399 chip that lots of delays use. ME #7 has two of them, the Space Mod-Delay-Tor has one. The first is just a really pretty space-y sounding delay that sounds really nice, lets you have some control of the pitch of the modulation, is easy to drive into self-oscillation once you kind of figure out what the knobs to, and has no labels on the knobs. The second is a modulating delay, with emphasis on modulation. It allows you to control the rate of the modulation, and there's a knob labeled modulation that changes the modulation, but you're not getting rid of it. It almost sounds like it's arpeggiating the repeats, even on the mildest setting.

Here's a track at bandcamp that I made to demonstrate to one of my friends how the Mod-Delay-Tor sounds. It's crazy. They're both rare enough (only about 20 were slated to be made of each) and neat enough that I actually plan to make demo video of the two of them soon.

Last edited by scabpicker; 04-05-2019 at 09:10 PM. Reason: A long laundry list of mistakes, not to mention the ones I missed
  #5515  
Old 04-06-2019, 01:44 AM
Face Intentionally Left Blank's Avatar
Face Intentionally Left Blank is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hooterville
Posts: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post

Here's a track at bandcamp that I made to demonstrate to one of my friends how the Mod-Delay-Tor sounds. It's crazy. They're both rare enough (only about 20 were slated to be made of each) and neat enough that I actually plan to make demo video of the two of them soon.
That's just cool. I expect you to post back when you make the videos.
__________________
The healthy wear a crown that only the sick can see.
  #5516  
Old 04-23-2019, 09:14 PM
Jack Batty's Avatar
Jack Batty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Astral Plane.
Posts: 15,589

Guitar adjacent post


On a whim, as I was killing time before an appointment in Guitar Center, I bought a little mixer. A Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2 in 2 out) that comes bundled with a bunch of software.

I have no idea how to use any of it. So far I have registered my product and downloaded the requisite drivers as well as the majority of the bundled stuff, but I haven't installed any of it. The bundle comes with Pro Tools First, another production suite called Ableton Live Lite, bass samples, drum samples, a production program for creating loops, a suite of compressors, reverb and EQs, as well as a mastering app and a Addictive Keys product. I didn't snag the last two because I didn't feel like setting up two more accounts tonight.

So basically, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either the unit I bought or any of the software that came bundled with it. Any tips, advice, reviews would be appreciated. I'm not looking to make Sgt. Pepper but I'd like to put down demos and use it to get song ideas down to work on and that sort of thing.

My shortcomings right now, beyond ignorance, is that I only have electric guitars here right now. I can plug right in and record that but if I want to use my amps or record my acoustic or vocals, I'll need to borrow a mic - which I suppose should be easy enough. I also have a Casio keyboard that I suppose I could make work some how. What I don't have that I desperately need is speakers. Studio monitors with 1/4 inputs to go with the mixer. My only option right now is ear-buds in the headphone jack and that won't do.
  #5517  
Old 05-04-2019, 04:10 PM
scabpicker's Avatar
scabpicker is offline
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Funkytown (Fort Worth)
Posts: 4,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
That's just cool. I expect you to post back when you make the videos.
Well, I ended up with a third Idiotbox effect that's unusual, as well. It's a Holy Trooper Fuzz. It's got three germanium transistors, no knobs, and is out of production. Since I was fooling around with all three, I decided to make a single video for all of them. So, you asked for it, you got it, Toyota: Three Unusual IdiotBoxes.

I enjoyed the process so much, I plan to make another vid for Mystery Effect of the Month Club pedal #4 (just got it today!). If you have any suggestions, let me know.

I don't have any extensive experience with that interface or the software you got with it, Jack Batty, but recording on a computer is pretty simple. A SM57 and a stand and cable for it will run you about $130 on sale. However, for convenience and so I can work while others are asleep, I usually record electric instruments direct through a cab simulator these days (I used an ancient delay pedal with retty op amps when I went direct before that). I usually just use a tube preamp or distortion into the CabDryVR pedal in the video. In my opinion, it sounds pretty convincing. It's almost as good as a decent engineer with a couple of mics, when you work it right. But for acoustic instruments, it's no help
  #5518  
Old 05-04-2019, 04:20 PM
BobBitchin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: central Fl
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
On a whim, as I was killing time before an appointment in Guitar Center, I bought a little mixer. A Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2 in 2 out) that comes bundled with a bunch of software.

I have no idea how to use any of it. So far I have registered my product and downloaded the requisite drivers as well as the majority of the bundled stuff, but I haven't installed any of it. The bundle comes with Pro Tools First, another production suite called Ableton Live Lite, bass samples, drum samples, a production program for creating loops, a suite of compressors, reverb and EQs, as well as a mastering app and a Addictive Keys product. I didn't snag the last two because I didn't feel like setting up two more accounts tonight.

So basically, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either the unit I bought or any of the software that came bundled with it. Any tips, advice, reviews would be appreciated. I'm not looking to make Sgt. Pepper but I'd like to put down demos and use it to get song ideas down to work on and that sort of thing.

My shortcomings right now, beyond ignorance, is that I only have electric guitars here right now. I can plug right in and record that but if I want to use my amps or record my acoustic or vocals, I'll need to borrow a mic - which I suppose should be easy enough. I also have a Casio keyboard that I suppose I could make work some how. What I don't have that I desperately need is speakers. Studio monitors with 1/4 inputs to go with the mixer. My only option right now is ear-buds in the headphone jack and that won't do.



I want one of these, but don't have the funding yet. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

I saw a series of videos on youtube, the guy used a focusrite and built a song, piece by piece with the included software (amps, drums, FX). It was amazing. Very little tweaking.

Goodluck.
  #5519  
Old 05-04-2019, 05:30 PM
Jack Batty's Avatar
Jack Batty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Astral Plane.
Posts: 15,589
Truthfully, I haven't made much progress with it. I can't figure out Ableton at all. Pro Tools First looks much more intuitive but I haven't been able to get a signal yet. My problem is that I have no studio monitors so I skipped the step where you assign the mixer as your sound card for the application - I think that might have something to do with it. But I had a notion just now ... I'm not sure if it'll work, but why couldn't I use an amp as a monitor? The mixer has 1/4" outs. Amps have 1/4" ins. I have 1/4" instrument cables. Makes sense to me. I'll give it a shot. If you don't hear back from me I've blown myself through my living room wall ala Marty McFly.
  #5520  
Old 05-04-2019, 07:31 PM
scabpicker's Avatar
scabpicker is offline
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Funkytown (Fort Worth)
Posts: 4,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Truthfully, I haven't made much progress with it. I can't figure out Ableton at all. Pro Tools First looks much more intuitive but I haven't been able to get a signal yet. My problem is that I have no studio monitors so I skipped the step where you assign the mixer as your sound card for the application - I think that might have something to do with it. But I had a notion just now ... I'm not sure if it'll work, but why couldn't I use an amp as a monitor? The mixer has 1/4" outs. Amps have 1/4" ins. I have 1/4" instrument cables. Makes sense to me. I'll give it a shot. If you don't hear back from me I've blown myself through my living room wall ala Marty McFly.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you'll need to assign the mixer as the sound card to use it. Ableton is really mostly a sequencer for arranging electronic music. It's also an audio workstation, but it's a bit much for just recording a demo. I'd start with Pro Tools, and move in to Ableton as you get used to Pro Tools.

You can use an amp as a monitor in a pinch. However, it's going to be fairly low fi, and unless you use two amps, it's going to be mono. Also, the signal level coming out of the mixer is going to be line level, which is a lot more powerful than a guitar signal.

I'd advise just grabbing a set of headphones. Just about every over ear set is going to have better sound than an amp or a set of earbuds.
  #5521  
Old 05-04-2019, 08:50 PM
sleestak is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sin City
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
On a whim, as I was killing time before an appointment in Guitar Center, I bought a little mixer. A Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2 in 2 out) that comes bundled with a bunch of software.

I have no idea how to use any of it. So far I have registered my product and downloaded the requisite drivers as well as the majority of the bundled stuff, but I haven't installed any of it. The bundle comes with Pro Tools First, another production suite called Ableton Live Lite, bass samples, drum samples, a production program for creating loops, a suite of compressors, reverb and EQs, as well as a mastering app and a Addictive Keys product. I didn't snag the last two because I didn't feel like setting up two more accounts tonight.

So basically, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either the unit I bought or any of the software that came bundled with it. Any tips, advice, reviews would be appreciated. I'm not looking to make Sgt. Pepper but I'd like to put down demos and use it to get song ideas down to work on and that sort of thing.

My shortcomings right now, beyond ignorance, is that I only have electric guitars here right now. I can plug right in and record that but if I want to use my amps or record my acoustic or vocals, I'll need to borrow a mic - which I suppose should be easy enough. I also have a Casio keyboard that I suppose I could make work some how. What I don't have that I desperately need is speakers. Studio monitors with 1/4 inputs to go with the mixer. My only option right now is ear-buds in the headphone jack and that won't do.
i have the Scarlett 18i20, the 8 input version of this.

#1. i suggest getting Pro Tools. They have a subscription for ~30 bucks a month. It comes with some decent plugins and you get updates free. The plug ins are decent and include things like midi pianos, strings, effects like reverb and delay plus lots of other stuff.

#2 Go buy an SM-57. About 100 last time i looked. Great for micing amps and acoustics.

#3. Buy a cheap USB keyboard controller for midi. You don't have to be able to play, just single finger stuff is ok for bass lines, etc.

#4. Buy Steve Slate Drums. They kick ass.

#5. There are some free amp sims that are pretty good. Brain Worx has some good cheap sims, i like their Boogie. Try lots of demos, buy what you like.

#6 You can get decent monitors for 100-150 a pair last I looked.

#6 ). Go read some artciles on routing and eqing.

Slee
  #5522  
Old 05-05-2019, 08:29 AM
by-tor's Avatar
by-tor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 993
Jack Batty I have a Focusrite 6i6 and I love it. I use the S/Pidif output from an AX8 into the the Focusrite.

I don't use either of those DAWs. From what I read on KVR and elsewhere, Ableton crashes a lot with many VSTis.

I use Orion for sequencing VSTis. Orion is no longer in production I think. Then I use an old version of Nuendo for tracking guitars and mixing overall songs.

Basically, you have to play around and find a DAW that you bond with. Then learn its ins and outs.

Some DAWS are easier than others but they all have a learning curve. It comes usually comes down to work flow and if it clicks for you or not.

Yeah, sounds like you need a mic and some monitors if you are going to get into it.

Last edited by by-tor; 05-05-2019 at 08:29 AM.
  #5523  
Old 05-13-2019, 02:12 PM
by-tor's Avatar
by-tor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 993
So I finished my Polymetric Project a few weeks ago and finally made some placeholder videos for the songs.

Basically, I was inspired by the polymetric parts in the King Crimson song "Discipline."

After some experimenting, I found that I liked when 2 different parts were offset by 2 beats and then on the second part, shifting all the notes 1 space on.

So the first voice might have 16 beats with all the notes on odd numbers, while the second voice might might have 14 beats with all the notes on even numbers. Upon repetition, the 2 voices desync then resync and so on.

I wrote the songs in a sequencer with the idea of translating the parts to guitar. Well, 3 turned out acceptable and 6 I had to redo with synths.

I made a playlist of them and here (hopefully) it is:
Polymetric Project
  #5524  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:12 PM
scabpicker's Avatar
scabpicker is offline
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Funkytown (Fort Worth)
Posts: 4,754
I had a bass playing friend that was kind of obsessed with Levin in general and the the Discipline album in particular. It seems like you did learn the way they structured those parts. But yeah, you kind of have to be a person who can play like a machine or be an actual machine to really pull those kind of songs off (said the guy who can't count time without concentrating). It kind of comes across sounding like a gamelan. Nice job!

BTW, did you know one of the videos in that playlist (number 8) is a private video?
  #5525  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 PM
by-tor's Avatar
by-tor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 993
Fixed it, thanks! And thanks for checking it out.

I found that it wasn't so much hitting the beat (which is hard) but the length of the note had to be insanely precise on the faster tempo songs, in order to not step on the toes of the following note on the other part. To do that on guitar was beyond my ability for the majority of the songs unfortunately. But I did pull it off for 3 of them.

Last edited by by-tor; 05-14-2019 at 09:28 PM.
  #5526  
Old 07-18-2019, 01:53 PM
BobBitchin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: central Fl
Posts: 872
I've been getting back into playing, and want to record at home as I mentioned up thread.

I've never mixed guitars and computers before, but here it goes.

First ever video edit (trim and title card)

Second ever youtube upload
Just some noodling Daisy caught on her Zenpad at a friends house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nx2PBQSwHs
  #5527  
Old 07-18-2019, 03:49 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 42,452
Haven't been back to this thread in quite some time. Still taking lessons from the same guy I started with several years ago. Been playing a LOT of blues and slide.

I'm thinking of getting a lap steel guitar. Looks like it would be fun to mess around on without a huge cash outlay. Anybody have any experience with these or recommendations?

Decided I wanted to tackle Coltrane's Naima, using this guy's guitar adaptation. There are some pretty wild chord shapes in there. I mainly want to learn it because it's one of the most beautiful jazz tunes ever written.
  #5528  
Old 07-18-2019, 05:04 PM
jaycat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
. . . I'm thinking of getting a lap steel guitar. Looks like it would be fun to mess around on without a huge cash outlay. Anybody have any experience with these or recommendations? . . .
I took up the lap steel about a year ago, and it's a blast. Some thoughts:

1. You don't want a new one. There are a lot of vintage lap steels out there for short money. Some brand names to consider: Supro, Magnatone, Dickerson. Check on Reverb.

2. I prefer a "Long Dawg" slide bar to a "Lap Dawg." And that's with a 6-string. You will of course be presented with the option of an 8-string or more.

3. I use C6 tuning but there are lots of options including E9 tuning. You can always get a double-neck and have both. I like C6 cause it gives you the sound of the old Hank Williams records.

4. The Steel Guitar Forum is a great resource. Check it out. Tabs, instruments for sale, general discussion, etc. etc.
  #5529  
Old 07-18-2019, 07:08 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 42,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
I took up the lap steel about a year ago, and it's a blast. Some thoughts:

1. You don't want a new one. There are a lot of vintage lap steels out there for short money. Some brand names to consider: Supro, Magnatone, Dickerson. Check on Reverb.

2. I prefer a "Long Dawg" slide bar to a "Lap Dawg." And that's with a 6-string. You will of course be presented with the option of an 8-string or more.

3. I use C6 tuning but there are lots of options including E9 tuning. You can always get a double-neck and have both. I like C6 cause it gives you the sound of the old Hank Williams records.

4. The Steel Guitar Forum is a great resource. Check it out. Tabs, instruments for sale, general discussion, etc. etc.
Hey, thanks for the info, especially on makes to look for.
  #5530  
Old 07-18-2019, 08:09 PM
BobBitchin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: central Fl
Posts: 872
I've had one Agile Les Paul ($275) and one SX tele ($89) from Rondo music, and recommend them highly. https://www.rondomusic.com/lap3bk1.html

Here is a cheap Lap steel, if you're lookin for cheap.

I like open E for slide.
  #5531  
Old 07-18-2019, 09:10 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 42,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBitchin' View Post
I've had one Agile Les Paul ($275) and one SX tele ($89) from Rondo music, and recommend them highly. https://www.rondomusic.com/lap3bk1.html

Here is a cheap Lap steel, if you're lookin for cheap.

I like open E for slide.
Quality over price, always. But I know that some of the cheaper steels are good quality.
  #5532  
Old 07-19-2019, 03:43 PM
BobBitchin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: central Fl
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Quality over price, always. But I know that some of the cheaper steels are good quality.

Sweet, if you're set I recommend a Duesenberg.

This guy has one with levers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZugciiF2QBE

I've never used the lever system (just saw it this month) but he's killin it.


I do most of my sliding acoustically. I just scored a new video editor, so I may put up a clip of that (once I get goin) for all those who need a good laugh.

Last edited by BobBitchin'; 07-19-2019 at 03:44 PM.
  #5533  
Old 09-05-2019, 11:18 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,830

Dead Amp


Hey there -

My Blues Jr died just now. Symptoms were I was playing, then BRRRRAAPT and the 'on' ruby light died. I figure it's a power supply issue, not tube related. But is it worth retubing the power tubes, or is that hopeless and just see a tech? (The tech I have no idea how to find.)
Thanks.
  #5534  
Old 09-07-2019, 09:52 AM
scabpicker's Avatar
scabpicker is offline
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Funkytown (Fort Worth)
Posts: 4,754
If it won't power on, it's time to see a tech. Tubes may have been taken out when it broke, but having a blown tube won't prevent it from powering on.

As far as finding an amp tech. I'd go to a store you like and see who they recommend. If it's a really good store, they'll have a guy on site.

ETA: Check the fuse, just to save a trip.

Last edited by scabpicker; 09-07-2019 at 09:56 AM.
  #5535  
Old 09-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Lucas Jackson's Avatar
Lucas Jackson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,260

Tuning guitar


Iím not a great player. I just do it occasionally to amuse myself.

I donít keep it in perfect tune but occasionally it gets too bad for even me. It seems that more often than not I have to tune it down. It seems like the strings would stretch so I would have to tune up.

Is this normal or is it confirmation bias. I honestly think it goes sharp more than it goes flat.

Opinions?
  #5536  
Old 09-07-2019, 09:28 PM
scabpicker's Avatar
scabpicker is offline
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Funkytown (Fort Worth)
Posts: 4,754
Hmm, the only time I have a bass or guitar go sharp on me is when I have put them through a temperature change. Are you in different environments when you re-tune?
  #5537  
Old 09-07-2019, 09:56 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,830
Depends on the instrument. I have solidbody guitars that are tuning-solid for apparently days, others that blow with the wind, um, temperature, up or down, even across a very few degrees of temp deviation. And don't forget about strings getting hung up on the nut: do a bend, string goes sharp and gets stuck slightly that way.

Last edited by squeegee; 09-07-2019 at 09:57 PM.
  #5538  
Old 09-08-2019, 05:55 PM
Lucas Jackson's Avatar
Lucas Jackson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Hmm, the only time I have a bass or guitar go sharp on me is when I have put them through a temperature change. Are you in different environments when you re-tune?
Nope, same environment. Acoustic guitar. I checked it again this morning. Tad sharp.
  #5539  
Old 09-09-2019, 12:41 PM
swampspruce's Avatar
swampspruce is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cool Pool
Posts: 4,520
My experience is that is usually due to temp or humidity variations. Even sunlight on the guitar can warm it enough to change the tuning in a room.

In Other News: I'm in the middle of modifying my friend's Epiphone Pro1 acoustic from a pinless to a pinned bridge (the bridge actually cracked when he put medium strings on). It's also getting a pickup and a TRC from Petros guitars shop.
__________________
Life is an economy. Where everything must be traded for something else and the value of all things rise and fall with the amount of attention and effort you put into them. -Mark Manson
  #5540  
Old 09-29-2019, 03:45 PM
scabpicker's Avatar
scabpicker is offline
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Funkytown (Fort Worth)
Posts: 4,754
Well, I went and totally lost my mind. There was an Ampeg SVT-215E on sale at a steal of a price locally. My singer alerted me to it, and I convinced my wife to let me get it by letting her know it would live at the practice space. 8X10 cabinets are nice, but there's just something about 2x15 cabs that I've always loved. Moving them was never one of them, but at least this one works as its own handcart.

Here's a pic, if you're the type that needs visual aids.
  #5541  
Old 09-30-2019, 10:56 AM
wguy123 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Well, I went and totally lost my mind. There was an Ampeg SVT-215E on sale at a steal of a price locally. My singer alerted me to it, and I convinced my wife to let me get it by letting her know it would live at the practice space. 8X10 cabinets are nice, but there's just something about 2x15 cabs that I've always loved. Moving them was never one of them, but at least this one works as its own handcart.

Here's a pic, if you're the type that needs visual aids.
Sweet baby Jesus! That must be an assault to not only the ears but the entire body.

What does that weigh? Hmm...look up the specs....148 lbs! Yeah, good thing it has wheels. Better hope you never play in a place that requires stairs or you'll need to hire a moving company.
  #5542  
Old 10-01-2019, 09:41 PM
scabpicker's Avatar
scabpicker is offline
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Funkytown (Fort Worth)
Posts: 4,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Sweet baby Jesus! That must be an assault to not only the ears but the entire body.

What does that weigh? Hmm...look up the specs....148 lbs! Yeah, good thing it has wheels. Better hope you never play in a place that requires stairs or you'll need to hire a moving company.
Hehe, yeah, when I first plugged it in and tried it out. I wasn't that impressed with how much air it pushed. I had a 2x15 combo when I was young that I remember being much louder. Then I realized I was standing of to the side. I walked around front, and yeah, that was what I was looking for. It still doesn't seem to have as much bass response as I had expected, but I haven't been more than a couple of feet away from it.

And yes, I have 3 other 4x10 cabs (and a 1x15 that got loaned out and is running around somewhere) for shows that have more than 2-3 stairs to deal with.

Last edited by scabpicker; 10-01-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017