Old 02-19-2019, 07:10 PM

Any experience with wood pellet grills/smokers?

I keep getting drawn to a series of Traeger grills. They seem like one of the coolest grill/smoke/roast/bake tools out there. I absolutely don't NEED one but I really WANT one.

I already have a really nice, expensive, new (last summer) grill that I'm very happy with. These are also nice, expensive, and sound really good. They use a wood pellet system that you load into a hopper and an auger feeds the burning wood into the grill to cook. You have a temperature control so you can set it for a given temp (+/- 15 degrees to +/- 5 degrees depending on the model) and just leave it alone.

There is a hardware store close to me that carries probably over 2 dozen different wood blend pellets, and they can even be changed mid cook. I love smoked foods, and also the taste of food cooked over a wood flame. I recently found some change in the couch so the cost isn't a real concern. My wife has even drooled over them at a home show and again at the hardware store nearby so she probably won't divorce me if I take the plunge (she also seems fond of the Big Green Egg).

The salesmen all swear that these are the best thing on the planet and will make you forget any other food you have ever eaten. So, anyone with any actual hands on experience with a Traeger or other wood pellet cooking system? I'm like the guy with 20 guitars who found another that he really needs to have. Anyone want to talk me into or out of getting this?
Old 02-19-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

My neighbor has two for some reason and he uses them frequently.

I've been lead to believe that they don't get hot enough to really sear a steak but don't know that for a fact.

A nephew had a game processing business and used them for his catering business.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
I've been lead to believe that they don't get hot enough to really sear a steak but don't know that for a fact.
They claim to get up to 500 degrees which should be hot enough for a sear.

The reason he has two is he is like me and the "new" one had a feature he couldn't live without... like WiFi (yes, they do have models with this).
Old 02-20-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
I absolutely don't NEED one but I really WANT one.
Haha, pretty much my mantra.

I don't have one myself, but I know they can reach high temperatures. This in itself doesn't necessarily mean it can sear though.

For me I guess the appeal is in the fact that you can use wooden pellets to infuse the food with flavor, which you can't really do with charcoal (well, apart from a smoky flavor) or gas.

Few reviews here in case it helps:

1. Gear Junkie
2. Outside Online
3. The Online Grill

Let me know if you finally give in and get one... I'm now tempted.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I'd imagine that the big advantage would be temperature control for long slow cooks. Kind of set it and forget it. Particularly with WiFi models. Really? WiFi?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
Quote:
They claim to get up to 500 degrees which should be hot enough for a sear.
I believe that is an exageration. I bought a Traeger Jr. (their smallest model*) about 18 months ago and use it all the time, since my propane grill crapped out. The dial thermostat tops out at 450o indicated but according to its (uncalibrated) built-in thermometer, rarely exceeds 425.

This is a mite short of your proper searing temperature of 500-525o but close enough in my book. I still get Maillard crust on the outside when the piece is left in long enough but there's less pink than I'd ideally like; DesertRoomie likes no pink at all so it's fine by her. I am contemplating replacing the propane grill with a table-top to act as a searing box.

One of my lazy meals is to fire up the Traeger and let it heat to the highest temp, about twelve minutes. Drop on a couple frozen burgers from CostCo and wait eight minutes. Flip the burgers and, since they're now thawed, stick the probe on the separately bought wireless thermometer into one. Reduce the setting to 250o and wait until they reach 160o, about another eight minutes. This results in a nice-looking char on a juicy burger for me, juiceless one for DR since I, on request, mash hers after the flip and before removing it from the heat.

Another commonly done thing I do is to skin five Jimmy Dean 1-pound sausage chubs and put them in at 225o until they reach 180o on the probe, about three hours. One is eaten right away and the other four are vacuum sealed and frozen. The V S bags can withstand simmering so one get dropped into a waterbath to heat for an hour when its time has come.

*The Tailgater is the same size but the legs come off easier to facilitate transport.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:41 AM

PitBoss have a 'sear plate' that you can push to the side to expose the flames in a general area.

The pellet grills can be very good for holding consistent temps - but they don't "grill" like a traditional open flame grill can. IOW - they are great for cooking like an oven with smoke - but if you want that 'flame kissed' and charcoal type flavor - you're still going to want a more traditional grill as well.

If you keep your pellet grill outside - you will want a cover - ANY amount of moisture in the pellet bin will cause you a mess of sawdust. Cleanup is also a bit different than most as you have to do a bit more work to clean them out - aggervating at times.

In my research, I found the Traegers to be overpriced for what you get and the PitBoss brand to be the one to (atleast) start with. I have a PitBoss 820xl that we enjoy - there are alot of forums out there for what you can do with them. Traeger doesn't do anything truly special here that the other brands do not - they just do better advertising.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
The salesmen all swear that these are the best thing on the planet and will make you forget any other food you have ever eaten.
I have a Traeger, and while I wouldn't say it made me forget any other food, it did make me forget any other method of grilling or roasting.

As noted, you will not get a good sear with one. The temp isn't quite hot enough, and there's no direct heat. So if that's important to you, get something with a sear plate, or throw the meat on an iron skillet on the stove to start or finish.

My favorites:

* fish: nice flavor, no need to flip it
* burgers: perfectly cooked, no flare-ups
* overnight brisket or ribs
* bacon: no smelly kitchen or grease splatters
* smoked vegetables. I've also smoked garbonzo beans for 30 minutes and made a wonder smokey hummus
* Thanksgiving turkey: nice hickory aroma, and your oven isn't monopolized all day

The downside is the smoke. It's not a problem at grill temperatures, but it can be a little annoying at long smoke temperature if there's no wind. We have to keep the windows shut or the house fills with smoke. Fortunately, my neighbor has one too so we are understanding when the other is smoking.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I believe that is an exageration. I bought a Traeger Jr. (their smallest model*) about 18 months ago and use it all the time, since my propane grill crapped out. The dial thermostat tops out at 450o indicated but according to its (uncalibrated) built-in thermometer, rarely exceeds 425.
It looks like only the Timberline series claim to go to 500. Not a problem though, I've got a nice Weber propane grill that gets blazing hot quickly so I would probably cook over the wood then do a reverse sear on the Weber if needed.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I would say there is a better than average chance I'll bring one home in a few months.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:48 PM

I'm also looking into pellet cooking. This forum has a lot of discussion of different pellet grills.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/f...f=5&order=desc
Old 02-21-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

I have a Traeger grill I bought last September. I'm still getting used to it and trying different recipes. I have smoked chicken, sausage fatties, jalapenos, and Turkey. Winter hit us pretty hard this year and my Northern exposure deck has had snow on it for about two months now so I've slowed down a bit.

I still use regular my grill more as it is quicker to cook and sears the meat.

But I absolutely love the smoke flavoring provided by the pellet cooker and really appreciate the temperature and smoke control it offers.

My favorite smoking meat has been sausage fatties, stuffed pork sausage rolls with peppers, cheese jalapenos, and onions inside. I have to make two or three at a time because my family loves them too.

My only failure on the pellet grill has been my attempt to smoke the a whole Thanksgiving turkey. My attempts to get it thoroughly cooked ended up with under cooked sections and dried out sections. I found out later that its best to smoke meats at THE LOWEST POSSIBLE SAFE TEMPERATURE to get the best results.

I was lucky in that we also cooked a backup turkey in our turkey roaster. Next year I will smoke only a turkey breast as it will be easier to make an even temperature product.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:10 AM

We have a Green Mtn Grill and use it often when it is warm enough (you burn through pellets if it is cold). We use it for:

- Burgers - come out perfect every time
- Bacon - no smell inside
- Baking pizza and bread in the summer when we don't want to turn on the oven Basically use the pellet stove as an outside oven
- Pulled pork - This is probably our favorite. I'll buy two shoulders from our butcher (this is real pork - not the salt injected) and cook them. We then shred both and vacuum pack them into the right sizes and then put them in our chest freezer. This meat is great for pulled pork sandwiches, burritos, making tamales, etc.
- Whole chickens - Similar to pork, I'll do two whole chickens at once.

When we need hot sear, I have a charcoal grill. Things like beef carne asada, Korean style or teriyaki beef, chicken kabobs, veggies (we do veggies on pellet stove if it is what is on, but they are better over charcoal), sear steaks.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post
My only failure on the pellet grill has been my attempt to smoke the a whole Thanksgiving turkey. My attempts to get it thoroughly cooked ended up with under cooked sections and dried out sections. I found out later that its best to smoke meats at THE LOWEST POSSIBLE SAFE TEMPERATURE to get the best results.
I've had challenges with smoking poultry. It's very easy to dry it out. My compromise is to smoke it for 15 minutes, then bump up the heat to 350-375 to cook it more quickly.

My turkeys have been delicious when I cooked them this way. Also be sure to brine them overnight.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:46 PM

Iíve got a Trager Pro 22 and itís been great. I use it over my gas Webber BBQ or in conjunction with it.

Thanksgiving and Jewish ďChristmasĒ (itís my motherís birthday ) both saw two 15 lb turkeys, done at 225 for 5 hours. Iíve done 35 lbs of brisket at once or 15 racks of ribs. If Iím doing a large piece of beef like a tenderloin or sirloin roast Iíll smoke it to 120 and then throw it on the BBQ to reverse sear with a rare inside.

If you are looking for recipes, everything Iíve made from Smoke by Steve Raichlen has been great.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
The downside is the smoke. It's not a problem at grill temperatures, but it can be a little annoying at long smoke temperature if there's no wind. We have to keep the windows shut or the house fills with smoke.
But, but it is a smoker. Just how far is it from your open windows? When I am smoking something I get a little light blue smoke intermittently when some more pellets are augured into the firepot. I get less than with a propane grill doing burgers because the grease is rendered and drains into the little bucket rather than falling onto a hot element and getting incinerated.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
But, but it is a smoker. Just how far is it from your open windows? When I am smoking something I get a little light blue smoke intermittently when some more pellets are augured into the firepot. I get less than with a propane grill doing burgers because the grease is rendered and drains into the little bucket rather than falling onto a hot element and getting incinerated.
One of my favorite things about my pellet grill - that huge billow of smoke during startup - then it 'cleans up' to the right amount of smoke as it gets to temp.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:15 AM

When I'm running it on the smoke setting, it puts out a decent amount of smoke every 90 seconds when it drops another batch of pellets in. I'm in an urban environment with relatively small lots, so there's not a lot of distance between houses.

It's not a problem at temperatures over 200į or so.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsToTheLeft View Post
Iíve got a Trager Pro 22 and itís been great. I use it over my gas Webber BBQ or in conjunction with it.
That's the one that caught my eye. I briefly considered the bigger one but it sounds like this has plenty of room.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
That's the one that caught my eye. I briefly considered the bigger one but it sounds like this has plenty of room.
The only thing Iíve really felt constrained by are ribs since they take a lot of surface area. A rib rack helps here since you can do or 3 racks vertically in the space of one flat.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:11 PM

I've no experience with Traeger products, but based on the Masterbuilt pellet smoker my brother has, you may need to watch out for corrosion issues in the electrical parts. You've got ash and smoke (which tend to be caustic), and water from steam; that combination is hard on electrical stuff. After about 2 years of regular use, we had to pull his apart and repair a bunch of connections to get it working again.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:56 AM

Based on my relatives' experiences: they break down easily and even after taking them into a shop they still don't work right. YMMV
Old 02-23-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Based on my relatives' experiences: they break down easily and even after taking them into a shop they still don't work right. YMMV
Iím coming up on 3 years with mine. The only issue Iíve had is leaving pellets in the hopper and the smoke uncovered. The pellets swell up and jam the feeder and it has to be cleared by hand.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:12 AM

Iíve had a Rec-Tec pellet smoker for a couple of years now and highly recommend it. Very sturdy construction and spot-on temp control. I made the switch when the side firebox of my old smoker finally wore through. The pellet does not get the same level of flavor as true wood-fired slow and low barbecue, but it does a good job on long cooks, is light years more convenient, and has a great deal more versatility.

For ribs I can lay 4 racks flat with room to spare, or 2 briskets or 1 hog. The hopper is larger than most and will take a full 28 lb bag of pellets. On long cooks thereís an extra smoke feature up to 225 degrees, which is needed for heavier cuts but not poultry or fish. For steaks or other cuts needing a sear, Grill Grates are recommended. I usually get 1.5 inch steaks and smoke at 200 degrees until internal temp hits 120, then pull off the steaks, crank the temp to max (supposedly 500) and finish them on the Grill Grates. Reverse searing delivers a wonderful steak experience with delicious smoke flavor.

For long cooks, usually 16 hour brisket, I put on the night before and forget it until the next morning. Thatís so much easier than getting up at 4 a.m. and tending the fire all day; as noted the final product is a cut below true woodsmoke BBQ but due to the convenience Iím doing a lot more cooks and sharing with more people.

The pellet smoker really shines with poultry and fish, itís the perfect level of smoke for lighter cuts. Last night I smoked a 6.5 lb hen that was spatchcocked and dry-brined the day before. Got home from work and threw it in smoker for 1.5 hours at 225, then popped up to 375 to finish. Absolute perfection and Iím free to focus on the sides (risotto & green beans). Itís cold and wet outside and Iím not having to deal with that. I would never be doing weeknight cooks without the pellet smoker.

I keep a Weber charcoal grill for things that need real fire, between that and the RecTec all my outdoor cooking is a breeze.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the responses. I would say there is a better than average chance I'll bring one home in a few months.
Well, I was right. Yesterday I took delivery of my new Traeger Pro 575. It is the new model of the Pro 22. Of course I bought it on Saturday and the earliest they could deliver it was Thursday. Gorgeous days Sat thru Wed... rain ever since so I haven't used it yet. I got it seasoned and tomorrow is supposed to be nice so I'm getting some nice rib eyes and and will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Oh, and the new version does have WiFi so I can control heat etc. on my phone.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:45 PM

I understand that the new line has a better feeding system, but the one thing I would caution on is not leaving the hopper full of pellets between uses especially during damp periods. The pellets pick up moisture, swell, and then jam the auger. You need to then dump the hopper and clean out whatís is now damp sawdust that wonít ignite.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:23 PM

If the auger gets jammed, you won't correct that by cleaning the hopper - it requires disassembling the hopper/auger motor from the system and working the auger out - cleaning the auger tube and putting it back together.

I've had to do it twice now - and neiter was due to 'moisture' - in that in the second case - I had cooked just the night before and there was no rain, and the grill was covered.

I do tend to keep my bin full of pellets - and I have read that 'long' pellets can cause this or you can just get some in there that just wont break.

I think they use cheap auger motors - pitboss is sending me a free replacement because this one apparently killed the current one.

TL/DR - auger jams are not uncommon - not hard to clean up from, but a real mood killer when you're trying to get a cook going.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsToTheLeft View Post
I understand that the new line has a better feeding system, but the one thing I would caution on is not leaving the hopper full of pellets between uses especially during damp periods. The pellets pick up moisture, swell, and then jam the auger. You need to then dump the hopper and clean out what’s is now damp sawdust that won’t ignite.
That's one of the big features they are promoting for the new line. It has a stronger brushless motor with a direct drive auger.

Quote:
If the auger gets jammed, you won't correct that by cleaning the hopper - it requires disassembling the hopper/auger motor from the system and working the auger out - cleaning the auger tube and putting it back together.
In addition to being stronger, another feature is it has a "Clear Auger" mode that reverses the auger briefly and hopefully clears the jam.

Last edited by Spud; 04-19-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
That's one of the big features they are promoting for the new line. It has a stronger brushless motor with a direct drive auger.
That's great! For the record, the current PitBoss(s) are 'Direct Drive' as well. (Auger Motor is directly attached to the Auger)

Quote:
In addition to being stronger, another feature is it has a "Clear Auger" mode that reverses the auger briefly and hopefully clears the jam.
My experience with jams (twice, so limited) is that once they are jammed, the auger simply doesn't move in either direction - it took some significant effort to get it cleared. I doubt 'reversing briefly' would do it.

Maybe Traeger has a better solution - I like the sounds of the idea - can't wait to hear feedback of it in practice - if they truly have a better solution - I'll replace my current with it.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 AM

Since my experience with it so far has been to season it and connect it to my network (that's a bit embarrassing to say) I don't really know if it will work or not. Their marketing materials say it does and surely they wouldn't exaggerate at all. Hopefully I won't ever have to see if it does or not.

And it was supposed to be nice today... nope, more rain. I think I'll end up wheeling it so the smoke stack just sticks out of my garage (where it is currently keeping dry) and grill anyway.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:35 AM

Enjoy the grill - not meaning to be a downer - I'm sitting here waiting on a replacement auger motor - so I'm kinda glad its raining and cold.

Things in your future

Smoked Meatloaf
home made jerky
ribs
pork shoulder
DAMN GOOD BURGERS
Pizza
Chicken
Smoked Turkeys
angry neighbors
Old 04-20-2019, 09:40 AM

This recipe for pork ribs has received more love than anything else Iíve made. Buy a copy of Project Smoke by Steve Raichlen!
Old 04-20-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
angry neighbors
I'm not concerned with that... we are all good friends, and I told them that any time I'm going to be smoking and have extra room they are welcome to bring some meat to add to the grill.

Turns out it is going to be Chicken and Veggies tonight since my daughter told me she doesn't care much for red meat anymore (I'm a failure as a parent).
Old 04-20-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I'm not concerned with that... we are all good friends, and I told them that any time I'm going to be smoking and have extra room they are welcome to bring some meat to add to the grill.

Turns out it is going to be Chicken and Veggies tonight since my daughter told me she doesn't care much for red meat anymore (I'm a failure as a parent).
Angry neighbors as in "always making them hungry with the smells of good eats".
Old 10-18-2019, 02:16 PM

I've got a Camp Chef XXL vertical pellet smoker - i.e. it's NOT a grill in any way shape or form.

It's very convenient- just dump the pellets into the hopper, set the temp, and it'll keep it there without any issue.

Where it falls down, IMO, is that even on the "high smoke" setting generating what appears to be a lot of smoke, it doesn't really impart a whole lot of that to the food relative to other methods. It makes pretty good barbecue if I supplement the smoke early on with smoke mazes (a metal contraption that is filled with pellets and lit from one end and smoke tubes (tubes filled with pellets lit from one end) to make sure the smoke density is enough to actually stick to the food.

I'm not entirely convinced that if I had it to do over again, that I might not have just got a charcoal bullet smoker and one of those thermostat & blower temperature controllers instead.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:02 PM

Glad this got bumped. I've had my Traeger for 6 months now and I absolutely love it! I've used it tons of times with many different woods and many different meats. Nice smoke rings when smoking and great flavor when using for things like burgers etc.

I got hit with an unexpected heavy rain storm before I could get the cover on once and feared the worst. After the storm I checked the hopper and the pellets were bone dry. Haven't had a clog or anything more difficult than cleaning the grate and changing the foil on the drip pan.

Tried the reverse sear once and it worked ok, but 450 isn't quite as hot as I would like but I have my Weber gas grill two steps away so I just get that blazing hot and when the meat gets almost to where I want it I move it over for a quick sear. Works like a charm.

A few nights ago my wife brought me a big slice of prime rib that she got from an upscale grocer but I didn't get a chance to eat it that night. A day or so later I set it to 180 put the slab on and let it get up to temperature. My wife was sure it would be dried out but it was perfect and not dry at all. Plus it had a nice hint of hickory to it.

I think I may have to grab a brisket to smoke this weekend.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Despite his name, bump was not the bump, here. It was bumped by a now-deleted spammer.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]

Despite his name, bump was not the bump, here. It was bumped by a now-deleted spammer.
I considered reporting it but since the link the one post wonder included was to a site that although heavily skewed to the brand he said was the best did actually include a few categories where they listed another brand as the best.
Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM

Pellet grills are awesome and very convinient, there is no doubt you will love it. Shop around, there are lots of other brands out there.

Every tool in the shed has its use. I got a Weber Genesis Gas, Broil King Smoke Charcoal, Traeger Century, Louisiana CS570 and a Traeger Custom. My next pellet grill will definitely be either a Broil King XL or Grilla Grills Silverback.