Old 03-30-2017, 12:09 PM

George W. Bush was apparently as freaked out by Trump's inauguration as the rest of us. Reportedly, as he was leaving the event, Bush said "That was some weird shit." Literally. Three people present at the time heard him. Jesus. Trump makes GWB look like the voice of reason.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...uguration.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the footnote in the first chart is damn funny?
That was hilarious!
Old 03-30-2017, 01:43 PM

So apparently Donald has turned down the chance to throw out the first pitch on Opening Day.

He just might be the worst politician ever....which I suppose is a good thi g.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
So apparently Donald has turned down the chance to throw out the first pitch on Opening Day.

I think that somewhere deep in that addled brain he knows that he would be booed louder than any cheers he's ever heard at his rallies. He doesn't get to control who attends opening day.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
I think that somewhere deep in that addled brain he knows that he would be booed louder than any cheers he's ever heard at his rallies. He doesn't get to control who attends opening day.
How far can you throw a baseball with little hands?
Old 03-30-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
In high school, he was the best baseball player in New York. Just ask him.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:25 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Didn't hinder Hack Wilson.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
In high school, he was the best baseball player in New York. Just ask him.
Yeah, right. Guaranteed: he throws like a girl.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:38 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
George W. Bush was apparently as freaked out by Trump's inauguration as the rest of us. Reportedly, as he was leaving the event, Bush said "That was some weird shit." Literally. Three people present at the time heard him. Jesus. Trump makes GWB look like the voice of reason.
I've said it before and will again; Dubya was a bad President, but at least he was a President who tried his best to make the United States a better place for its citizenry.

Trump has no such interest.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:

But he did offer to throw all the Hispanic players out of the country. Word is that the baseball looked like a bowling ball in his tiny hands.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Didn't hinder Hack Wilson.
'Round these parts you don't mess with Hack Wilson.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:35 PM

I wonder if the Nationals can get Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton to throw out the first pitch.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
I wonder if the Nationals can get Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton to throw out the first pitch.
That would be wonderful!
Old 03-30-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Dear Og, ol' Abe could put some words together.
Of course, Lincoln did have the advantage of a top-notch prep school/Ivy League education.

Oh...wait...
Old 03-30-2017, 04:13 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Or Alec Baldwin.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Now, Universe, I know I haven't been a very good pantheist, but if you could just give me this one sign....
Old 03-30-2017, 05:20 PM

EPA tries to praise Trump, ends up insulting him instead:

Quote:
An EPA effort to showcase praise for President Donald Trump’s climate moves went awry today — and instead accused Trump of choosing “to recklessly bury his head in the sand.”

The criticism came in a quote from Democratic Sen. Tom Carper of Delaware, which EPA inaccurately attributed to Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.), a strong supporter of the coal industry and Trump’s order.

“President Trump has chosen to recklessly bury his head in the sand,” said the quote, which appeared at the top of the EPA press release’s litany of reactions to Trump’s climate order. The quote added that the order "calls into question America’s credibility," and said the president and Administrator Scott Pruitt "have chosen to shirk our responsibility, disregard clear science and undo the significant progress our country has made.”

“An internal draft was mistakenly sent with a quote that belonged to Senator Carper but was wrongly attributed to Senator Capito, whom we originally meant to quote,” an EPA spokesman said in an email. “We apologize for the error and are making sure that our process is improved as we build our team.”
The funny thing is: Trump's team is so incompetent, it's difficult to tell whether this was an honest mistake or deliberate sabotage from an anti-Trump EPA employee.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

So... they put in a quote slamming the President in a piece meant to showcase praise... and then mis-attribute it? I'm thinking purposeful sabotage.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:32 PM

Trump is burying his head in the sand? Sounds like he's looking for oil. That won't sit well with the coal miners.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:35 PM

Finally, Trump has done something I can get behind.

"‘We Must Fight Them’: Trump Goes After Conservatives of Freedom Caucus"
https://nyti.ms/2oCGpGG
Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump declared war on the conservatives of the House Freedom Caucus on Thursday, suggesting Republicans should “fight them” in the 2018 midterm elections if they do not back his agenda....
Although our reasons are different.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Finally, Trump has done something I can get behind.

"‘We Must Fight Them’: Trump Goes After Conservatives of Freedom Caucus"
https://nyti.ms/2oCGpGG

Although our reasons are different.
He's so stupid. "Progressives" against committed Democrats should pay attention to the failing strategy. Please.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:23 PM

Flynn wants immunity.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

I just heard that from Robert Reich. Reich was thinking they should give Flynn some kind of limited immunity. Considering how short the little fabulist's life is likely to be outside of protective custody, I suppose that's a good idea.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
I just heard that from Robert Reich. Reich was thinking they should give Flynn some kind of limited immunity. Considering how short the little fabulist's life is likely to be outside of protective custody, I suppose that's a good idea.
Someone in another thread posted this link analyzing Flynn's offer. In a nutshell, it says that if Flynn really had the goods on anyone higher up the food chain, and was willing to give them up, the negotiations for him to testify would be going on in private. He would let the investigators know what information he had, then work out a deal for immunity, then testify in public. By making the offer the way he did, no investigating agency would agree to it. They're not going to give him immunity until they know what he has to say. And making the offer in public looks like he's trying to force the hands of the FBI and congressional committees; which is a sure way to piss off the very groups he should be making nice with to get a deal done.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:46 PM

Trump's deputy chief of staff Katie Walsh is leaving after less than three months.
https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...share_facebook
Old 03-31-2017, 01:57 AM
Charter Member

RE: Flynn's immunity

Give him total immunity, be lavish in our generosity. To any and all. They just have to tell us everything. Every jot and tittle.

I don't need vengeance, I don't need punishment, I want to know. Period. Full stop.

And it may be that its all just some big ol' misunderstanding, an improbable collection of innocent motives blundering into a mirage of conspiracy. That is possible, and if it is so, the facts laid bare will disclose it, and we can all have a good laugh. Perhaps I shall even exercise my prerogative as Queen of Romania to elevate Trump into the nobility. Some fief in the Carpathians, perhaps.

Last edited by elucidator; 03-31-2017 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:43 AM

I was just watching the last Spicer press meeting and when he said ""If I start going down the path of confirming and denying one thing, we’re going down a very slippery slope,” he said. “I’ve made my position very clear on that.”" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0e6ac70934a09

all I could think of was the Gov. of Texas on The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJG75FJkjr8

Actually the above perfectly illustrates the whole Trump Cabinet.

Last edited by mistymage; 03-31-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Someone in another thread posted this link analyzing Flynn's offer. In a nutshell, it says that if Flynn really had the goods on anyone higher up the food chain, and was willing to give them up, the negotiations for him to testify would be going on in private. He would let the investigators know what information he had, then work out a deal for immunity, then testify in public. By making the offer the way he did, no investigating agency would agree to it. They're not going to give him immunity until they know what he has to say. And making the offer in public looks like he's trying to force the hands of the FBI and congressional committees; which is a sure way to piss off the very groups he should be making nice with to get a deal done.
Thank you for the article, it was a very interesting read. It's a bit disappointing because I really wanted to believe that Flynn's testimony could sink most of the administration (or at least the giant orange asshole at the top). It's good that Flynn's likely ploy to shield himself with tissue paper won't work, but I'd have been much happier if he had enough dirt to end this whole charade.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
It's a good bet he's physically incompetent and might embarrass himself trying to throw a baseball. Certainly the risk factor would be too great. It's no mystery why he announced his candidacy on an escalator. Have you seen him walk down stairs? He always holds the handrail and watches his feet. In one case he was assisted by Melania in a particularly clumsy fashion. Walking a very gentle incline at the White House, he clutched onto Theresa May.

I'm not one to ridicule physical defects — I've been exercising great care on staircases for many years now. I might do OK on a baseball pitch, but only because I practice with my son off-and-on. Still it seems fair to ridicule this preposterous showman, self-proclaimed superhero who rode a lion into battle and defeated ISIS with his bare big huge hands.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
It's a good bet he's physically incompetent and might embarrass himself trying to throw a baseball. Certainly the risk factor would be too great. It's no mystery why he announced his candidacy on an escalator. Have you seen him walk down stairs? He always holds the handrail and watches his feet. In one case he was assisted by Melania in a particularly clumsy fashion. Walking a very gentle incline at the White House, he clutched onto Theresa May.

I'm not one to ridicule physical defects — I've been exercising great care on staircases for many years now. I might do OK on a baseball pitch, but only because I practice with my son off-and-on. Still it seems fair to ridicule this preposterous showman, self-proclaimed superhero who rode a lion into battle and defeated ISIS with his bare big huge hands.
He should watch some videos of previous first pitches.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oft wears hats View Post
Thank you for the article, it was a very interesting read. It's a bit disappointing because I really wanted to believe that Flynn's testimony could sink most of the administration (or at least the giant orange asshole at the top). It's good that Flynn's likely ploy to shield himself with tissue paper won't work, but I'd have been much happier if he had enough dirt to end this whole charade.
Maybe Flyn is willing to give damaging testimony. But the people with the power to grant him immunity should be careful how they handle this situation. Right now they have something that Flynn seems to want. That gives them leverage to try and get to the truth of the matter. They shouldn't just give up that leverage without knowing what they're getting in return.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymage View Post
I was just watching the last Spicer press meeting and when he said ""If I start going down the path of confirming and denying one thing, we’re going down a very slippery slope,” he said. “I’ve made my position very clear on that.”" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0e6ac70934a09

all I could think of was the Gov. of Texas on The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJG75FJkjr8

Actually the above perfectly illustrates the whole Trump Cabinet.
I love how in every press conference Spicer keeps repeating how he was clear on something or Trump was very clear on this or that. No, Sean, if that was true you wouldn't have to keep explaining every single thing over and over and over.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:25 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
It's a good bet he's physically incompetent and might embarrass himself trying to throw a baseball. Certainly the risk factor would be too great. It's no mystery why he announced his candidacy on an escalator. Have you seen him walk down stairs? He always holds the handrail and watches his feet.
Well, that could be simply a fear of heights.

This first pitch thing is overblown. Obama did not throw out the first pitch his first year and in fact only threw out the first pitch on Opening Day once in his entire time in office. Carter never did it (as President; he did in 2004.) Reagan missed out his first year because you don't pitch well after you've been shot, but he didn't get around to it until 1984.

What's getting way less anger than I thought it would is Trump's plan to host the Chinese premier at. Mar-A-Lago. Yes, here comes the head of state of a world economic and military power, an immensely important meeting, and of course he's got to host it at his tacky stupid golf club in Florida, rather than at the Presidential palace in Washington built and intended for this sort of thing. Of course, guess who makes lots of extra money from hosting it at Mar-A-Lago?

Last edited by RickJay; 03-31-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post

This first pitch thing is overblown. Obama did not throw out the first pitch his first year and in fact only threw out the first pitch on Opening Day once in his entire time in office. Carter never did it (as President; he did in 2004.) Reagan missed out his first year because you don't pitch well after you've been shot, but he didn't get around to it until 1984.
Keep in mind that for the years between the departure of the Senators and the arrival of the Nationals, a presidential first pitch meant a schlep to Baltimore; which may or may not have been a factor.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Well, that could be simply a fear of heights.

What's getting way less anger than I thought it would is Trump's plan to host the Chinese premier at. Mar-A-Lago. Yes, here comes the head of state of a world economic and military power, an immensely important meeting, and of course he's got to host it at his tacky stupid golf club in Florida, rather than at the Presidential palace in Washington built and intended for this sort of thing. Of course, guess who makes lots of extra money from hosting it at Mar-A-Lago?

Especially after the cell phone illumination thing previously. Here, let's expose classified material in an open-air setting!
Old 03-31-2017, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
His supporters like that about him. From the interviews I've read, they like the conflict of interest and they think it's great that he's found a way to make money off of the presidency.
I don't get them at all. But to them, it's a good thing. The more time at the club, the better.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
His supporters like that about him. From the interviews I've read, they like the conflict of interest and they think it's great that he's found a way to make money off of the presidency.
I don't get them at all. But to them, it's a good thing. The more time at the club, the better.
" that just proves how smart he is! Not crooked, SMART! Only a dum-dum would have the opportunity to make money and not take it!"
Old 03-31-2017, 02:23 PM

ICE is now arresting people who are actually showing up at Immigration offices to begin the green card process. And note that of the five people taken into custody, two had no criminal records, and three had traffic violations. What happened to only deporting people who had committed crimes?
http://www.wbur.org/news/2017/03/30/green-card-
Old 03-31-2017, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

When did they say "only"? I think the defense of the deportations is that "some" or "most" have committed "crimes." Not to mention that "worst" crime of all, being in the USA without a license!
Old 03-31-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
When did they say "only"? I think the defense of the deportations is that "some" or "most" have committed "crimes." Not to mention that "worst" crime of all, being in the USA without a license!
"When asked if the five people arrested had criminal records, an ICE spokesman said two of the people had no criminal record while the other three had "multiple traffic violations.""

Being in the USA without a license was not on the list of Trump's priorities for ICE.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Trump talks up orders on trade, but neglects to sign them
Quote:
President Donald Trump had an apparent glitch Friday afternoon at an Oval Office signing for pair of executive orders: After touting the measures, he neglected to sign them.
But after the remarks, Trump walked out of the Oval Office without signing either of the orders.

A White House official said he signed the measures later.
Too bad he didn't hold up the unsigned orders to the camera.

Last edited by running coach; 03-31-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Trump talks up orders on trade, but neglects to sign them

Too bad he didn't hold up the unsigned orders to the camera.
I was coming here to post an article about the same thing. Why were the orders there, apparently waiting to be signed, if they were to be signed later?

http://mashable.com/2017/03/31/trump...k#7oa4HVqwbqq4

Last edited by raventhief; 03-31-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Smacks self in head - misread
Old 03-31-2017, 11:08 PM
BANNED

Darth Vader made at least $917,000 in the past 12 months. Other rat droppings did fairly well too.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
" that just proves how smart he is! Not crooked, SMART! Only a dum-dum would have the opportunity to make money and not take it!"
Increasingly, the U.S. seems to emulate Thailand as its political role model. Before he became a politician and then Prime Minister, T.S. (now a fugitive) was a businessman with ready cash. While the Bank of Thailand had its dollar window closed just before the baht collapsed, they opened specially to allow T.S. to sell several billions of baht, effectively cheating the Thai taxpayer. This was well reported in Thai newspapers.

In discussion with a well-educated middle-class Thai supporter of T.S., I suggested he must be unaware of this crime. He was well aware of it, but regarded it as a mark of the man's intelligence and business ability, and thus suitability to lead the country.

Thais lower on the social scale are also well informed: "Of course he's a crook. But he's our crook!"
Old 04-01-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
I was coming here to post an article about the same thing. Why were the orders there, apparently waiting to be signed, if they were to be signed later?

http://mashable.com/2017/03/31/trump...k#7oa4HVqwbqq4
The snowflake and chief, channeled his Holy Grail defense, when reporters started asking questions. RUN-AWAY! RUN-AWAY!
Old 04-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
This may actually be a good move. The Chinese elite go all gaga over tacky golf clubs and such.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I remember when I thought that McMaster was going to be the grown up in the administration, the Washington Post even pointed out that guys like Mattis and McMaster are the canaries in Trump's coal mine.

I just noticed that the canary is dead to Trump.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/...speaks-clearly
Quote:
I mentioned in my post below that there’s a very tight timeline or chain of events tying Trump’s claims of Obama wire-tapping and the various doings of Ezra Cohen-Watnick. Let’s walk through it.

On March 4th, President Trump went on his twitter tirade against President Obama.

On March 10th, National Security Advisor McMaster told Cohen-Watnick he was out.

On March 14th, Trump overruled McMaster and decreed that Cohen Watnick would stay.

Then on the 21st, House Intelligence Committee Chair Devin Nunes got that late night call to come over to the White House and get debriefed on the information Cohen-Watnick et al. had come up with.
Yes, the child president has demonstrated again what he is more likely to do when a crisis takes place, he will ignore the grown ups. Today the reckless act is about a scandal involving a cover up to possible Russian meddling on the past election. Tomorrow it will be an international crisis that can become deadly.

We are in trouble.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 04-01-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:42 PM

Trump tells NBC to quit covering the Russia story and concentrate on the Obama wiretapping story.
http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...g-russia-story
Old 04-01-2017, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Trump tells NBC to quit covering the Russia story and concentrate on the Obama wiretapping story.
http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...g-russia-story
What NBC should tell Trump:

"Oh, you want us to report that then there was another (a scandal too involving Trump's henchmen) reason why the wiretapping was taking place in the first place? You really, really want that?" (insert devilish, trolling smilie here).

Last edited by GIGObuster; 04-01-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:21 PM
BANNED

Well this is special. 86 percent of Trump counties make less in a year than 27 Trump staffers are worth.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
Well this is special. 86 percent of Trump counties make less in a year than 27 Trump staffers are worth.
Wealth shaming. That's so American.