Old 07-30-2019, 10:32 PM

Here I lose any possible foodie cred I may have remaining

I'm a reasonably good cook, and am fairly knowledgeable about various culinary techniques, but I have admitted to some more controversial tastes.

Beans in Chili are fine.
Miracle Whip has it's place.
Sometimes a White Castle burger hits the spot.
Ketchup is not forbidden on a hot dog.

I guess these are all debatable enough that I haven't been banned, but tonight I may have crossed the line.

Some of my (adult) kids were in for the weekend and as I was looking for a snack I found something they left behind that looked good. Jalapeno and Cheese stuffed Pretzels. But then I noticed the brand. I was really hungry so decided to try one anyway. IT WAS GOOD, and I made another and IT WAS GOOD TOO.

I'm so ashamed... they were Hot Pockets!
Old 07-30-2019, 10:43 PM

Oh man, why on earth would you admit that?

Man oh man.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:48 PM

Hey- I buy frozen spicy chicken strips from Dollar Tree. I shouldn't eat them because of the sodium, but doggone they're good! It's a 6 oz. bag, so for a dollar, I get what amounts to two orders of tasty fast food style nuggets. I also used to eat those 88 cent Totino frozen pizzas.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:49 PM

To address your points:

1 - Acceptable, but not preferable.

2 - The only place for Miracle Whip OR mayonnaise is - well, there is no place for either.

3 - White Castle is ... OK ... but pales in comparison to Cozy Inn, which is not a chain and has been operating in the original spot using the same grill for close to 97 years, selling 1500 to 2500 small burgers a day. Not bad for a six stool diner.

4 - Catsup and hot dogs are mutually inclusive. Meaning that neither is edible without the other.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

A White Castle burger always hits the spot!

The only one I really don't like of the above is Miracle Whip. There's just no place for that for me. But, even as a Chicagoan, I will occasionally put ketchup on a hot dog, but not on a Chicago style all-beef hot dog. And, yes, beans in chili is fine, but it all depends on what kind of chili you're going for.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

I'm with you on all but the Miracle Whip. Beans in chili is fine - there's a million different chilis and some have beans. Ketchup on hotdogs is damn good. I unfortunately don't have a White Castle franchise near me, but I've had them, and I don't disagree. Miracle Whip, though......

Of course, I can add my own:

- there is place in my life for Kraft American Singles.
- I also loooove tuna noodle casserole made with canned mushroom soup and potato chips on top (this is apparently a controversy now.
- Kraft Dinner is unfortunately not a staple in my house anymore, but ONLY because of medical reasons (I just can't eat that many carbs at once). If it wasn't for that there'd be a box in the pantry at all times.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:53 AM

Deep fried frozen burritos. Specifically, Tina's Red Hot Beef burritos, usually available at well under a dollar.

If frying from frozen, you have to fry at a pretty low heat, flipping frequently -- maybe 300 F or so -- otherwise it browns too fast and the middle is still frozen. But it's delicious, especially with sour cream (I make a spicy sour cream with sriracha). Delicious, cheap, and healthy. Okay, obviously not healthy, but delicious and cheap.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:54 AM

Also, 7-Eleven's Jamaican beef patties. I'm sure the genuine article is superior, but I still love these. Not available everywhere, I don't think.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
4 - Catsup and hot dogs are mutually inclusive. Meaning that neither is edible without the other.
Firstly, I have never understood why people on this board get so hung up on ketchup and hotdogs, and secondly, how do we pronounce catsup? I think I've only ever seen it written down.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:05 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
THIS is where you lost me.

You mean "its".
Old 07-31-2019, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Also, 7-Eleven's Jamaican beef patties. I'm sure the genuine article is superior, but I still love these. Not available everywhere, I don't think.
No patties available around here, but I'll confess a love for 7-Eleven nachos, loaded up with processed cheese sauce, chili of some description, and about half a pint of jalapeno slices.

Last edited by Smapti; 07-31-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

While I am philosophically confident that there is occasionally, indeed, some spot which White Castle would hit, I have no idea what or where that spot would be. My best guess would be for someone who has just been rescued back to civilization, after being forced to subsist on nothing but rabbit meat for an extended period of time, and who is thus suffering severe physiological consequences from a lack of dietary lipids.

The others, though, sure.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

The preferred "food" of the ManCub when he was 12-17, especially for all-night L.A.N. parties.

Not technically a food, they are in fact a polymer. Shaped and salted, but a polymer nonetheless.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Si to beans.
Nyet to Satan's spooge.
Ketchup is wrong on most things, including fries.
I tried a White Castle once. Never again. Perhaps if I'd grown up with them. . .

All personal preferences, of course. I like mayo on fries, which is anathema to most folks.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I'm a reasonably good cook, and am fairly knowledgeable about various culinary techniques, but I have admitted to some more controversial tastes.

Beans in Chili are fine. - Yes, especially if you're on a budget. They really extend it, in addition to being delicious.
Miracle Whip has it's place. - Agreed. The trash can.
Sometimes a White Castle burger hits the spot. - Nope. It always hits the spot.
Ketchup is not forbidden on a hot dog. - Absolutely not. A 3 to 1 mustard to ketchup ratio is quite tasty.

I guess these are all debatable enough that I haven't been banned, but tonight I may have crossed the line.

Some of my (adult) kids were in for the weekend and as I was looking for a snack I found something they left behind that looked good. Jalapeno and Cheese stuffed Pretzels. But then I noticed the brand. I was really hungry so decided to try one anyway. IT WAS GOOD, and I made another and IT WAS GOOD TOO.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Si to beans.
Nyet to Satan's spooge.
I tried a White Castle once. Never again. Perhaps if I'd grown up with them. . .

All personal preferences, of course. I like mayo on fries, which is anathema to most folks.
Friend! We agree.

My confession is: calf kidneys are horrible. It may have been foodie to try them at all, but I am retreating from that precipice. Blech.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:49 AM

There are reviews of Dollar Tree foods on youtube - the guy eats them so we don't have to. A can of corned beef hash for a buck - no better or worse than any name brand. Myself, I like one kind of the frozen eggrolls (the other tastes like mothballs) and the potstickers - 12 to a package - are scrumptious! Lava cake and frozen pie slices, too. One can dine well shopping at the Dollar Tree - healthy, too, if you pick carefully.

Last edited by salinqmind; 07-31-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:57 AM

Sonic Corndogs!
I would sell some of my less desirable body parts to get them.
Of course you don't have to, they're cheap as dirt.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 07-31-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:11 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

1. BLASPHEMER!!!

2. See Qadgop's commentary.

3. Meh. I'd rather eat Krystal.

4. Forbidden, no. Marks you as lacking mature taste buds, yes.

4a. Now ketchup on a corndog...that's good eatin'!

5. Mayo on fries is the way they are supposed to be served.

6. AM/PM has pretty good road food. The customizable hamburgers with relish, mustard and jalapenos kept me on the road for years.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Beans in Chili are fine.

Really, I can only stand with you on the first one, and I normally like your food posts. As for convenience food, even foodies sometimes just want to reach into a bag and have something salty, or nuke something for 2 minutes and eat. You are just brave enough to admit it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
THIS is where you lost me.

You mean "its".
This is why I love the SDMB.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I once saw a T-shirt that said "I put ketchup on my ketchup." I almost bought it. I load each french fry with as much ketchup as it can possibly hold before bringing it to my mouth.

I'm not a fan of White Castle, but I love McDonald's Filet-O-Fish sandwich.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
Firstly, I have never understood why people on this board get so hung up on ketchup and hotdogs, and secondly, how do we pronounce catsup? I think I've only ever seen it written down.
I tipped a hamper full of cats onto the floor and they went rolling all over the place. Seven ended up cats down, but three were catsup.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
While I am philosophically confident that there is occasionally, indeed, some spot which White Castle would hit, I have no idea what or where that spot would be. My best guess would be for someone who has just been rescued back to civilization, after being forced to subsist on nothing but rabbit meat for an extended period of time, and who is thus suffering severe physiological consequences from a lack of dietary lipids.

The others, though, sure.
The spot it hits would probably somewhere between your navel and your spine
Old 07-31-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
I tipped a hamper full of cats onto the floor and they went rolling all over the place. Seven ended up cats down, but three were catsup.
i pronounce it much closer to Catch Up (run together).

As far as misusing it's... what can I say, I was all hopped up on Hot Pockets.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Beans in Chili are fine.
I'm ok with all of these though I'll tease you about the hot dogs. However, I can't agree that Hot Pockets are good.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
i pronounce it much closer to Catch Up (run together).
Are you here to solve my ketchup problem?
Old 07-31-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
Cecil wrote an article on it where he explains the perfectly valid reasons why ketchup is wrong on hot dogs. But I'm not the food police, eat whatever you want.

And I always though catsup was pronounced "ketchup". Same word, just spelled differently, like jail and gaol.

I disagree with the OP on some points, and wholeheartedly agree on White Castle sliders. Oh, and I once stopped at that six stool, hundred year old burger joint in Kansas mentioned above. It was good, but doesn't quite scratch the same itch as White Castle.

Foodies don't have to march in lockstep. Don't be ashamed of your unorthodox preferences!
Old 07-31-2019, 01:20 PM

Ketchup on a corndog is a sin. Yea, verily.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
This has been discussed quite a bit but there is a distinction here. Ketchup on a hotdog is fine (depending on your taste, of course), but ketchup doesn't go on a Chicago dog. A Chicago-style hot dog is a particular way to serve a hot dog and has yellow mustard, white onion, green relish, sport peppers, tomatoes, dill pickle spear, and celery salt. That's how it's served, that's it's name, but you can actually have ketchup on a hot dog in Chicago without getting run out on a rail. The guys at my local hot dog place don't care if someone wants ketchup. It's akin to going to a place and ordering a chilidog but wanting whip cream on it instead of chili; without the chili it ceases to be a "chilidog."
Old 07-31-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

How come they call it “ketchup” sometimes and “catsup” other times?
Old 07-31-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
I once saw a T-shirt that said "I put ketchup on my ketchup." I almost bought it. I load each french fry with as much ketchup as it can possibly hold before bringing it to my mouth.

I'm not a fan of White Castle, but I love McDonald's Filet-O-Fish sandwich.
With ketchup?
Old 07-31-2019, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Beans in Chili are fine.
1) Damn straight. When I make chili, I use a mixture of kidney beans and chickpeas.
2) Never understood Miracle Whip. It's basically a cut-rate mayonnaise, watered down by the absence of egg yolks. But to each his own.
3) Yeppers.
4) Not only do I love ketchup on a hot dog, but the whole notion of getting all huffy about what you should or shouldn't do to a hot dog is beyond me.

I mean, even when it's an all-beef kosher hot dog, it's still the parts of the cow that they couldn't sell as steaks or even as burger. That these ground-up leftover bits should be treated as something too pure to defile with ketchup...are you fucking kidding me?!
Old 07-31-2019, 03:02 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Quote:
...But then I noticed the brand. I was really hungry so decided to try one anyway. IT WAS GOOD, and I made another and IT WAS GOOD TOO.

Okay, admit it...you're really Jim Gaffigan, arent' you?
Old 07-31-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I

Beans in Chili are fine.

Beans in Chili are fine. No, they are required!

Miracle Whip has it's place. Miracle Whip is great!

Sometimes a White Castle burger hits the spot. Only if you're drunk.

Ketchup is not forbidden on a hot dog. HEATHEN!!!!

-God
Old 07-31-2019, 03:37 PM

Lots of resistance here to Miracle Whip...what about it's evil dessert twin Cool Whip? Eh? Eh?
Old 07-31-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
When I was a kid I thought I didn't like mayo. Later as an adult I discovered I do actually like mayo. My mom always bought Miracle Whip, which at the time I didn't realize was different from mayo. It's actually Miracle Whip that I don't like.

Quote:
I thought it was only forbidden in Chicago. Has this rule spread throughout the rest of hte country?
Old 07-31-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Lots of resistance here to Miracle Whip...what about it's evil dessert twin Cool Whip? Eh? Eh?
Frozen Cool Whip is a delight. White Castles are great going down but I have a problem with them once they hit that spot. Or they have a problem with me. We agree to disagree and the only real loser in this fight is the toilet.

I have eaten Hot Pockets and not hated them. I haven't liked them either. When I was very young I ate my hot dogs with ketchup and sweet pickle relish. I also liked to put sugar on my Frosted Flakes, so you know how I was back then.

ETA: I always thought chili had beans and chili con carne was the one with meat.

Last edited by Biggirl; 07-31-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
what about it's evil dessert twin Cool Whip? Eh? Eh?
You mean Cool Hwip?
Old 07-31-2019, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
I'd fall into a diabetic coma with that much sugar.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
But that apostrophe doesn't.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
However, I can't agree that Hot Pockets are good.
I've had Hot Pockets before and I regretted it almost every time. I was prepared to regret this one but I was really hungry. This wasn't your typical Hot Pocket but a pretzel with cheesy jalapeno inside. It just seemed so wrong to actually enjoy something with Hot Pockets printed on the box.

https://www.hotpockets.com/en/produc...heesy-jalapeno
Old 07-31-2019, 05:38 PM

Welp, guess I'm not a foodie. Takes off a lot of pressure and saves me time to roast my own coffee beans while I'm caring for my cast iron pans.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Deep fried frozen burritos. Specifically, Tina's Red Hot Beef burritos, usually available at well under a dollar.

If frying from frozen, you have to fry at a pretty low heat, flipping frequently -- maybe 300 F or so -- otherwise it browns too fast and the middle is still frozen. But it's delicious, especially with sour cream (I make a spicy sour cream with sriracha). Delicious, cheap, and healthy. Okay, obviously not healthy, but delicious and cheap.
ABSOLUTELY!!! This with cheap bottled salsa--nothing else. Looks like dog food wrapped in a McDonald's pie crust, but damn are they good. My college used to sell these for 50 cents. Now, I air fry them because I don't want to bother pulling out the fryer and oil. ALMOST as good.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
This has been discussed quite a bit but there is a distinction here. Ketchup on a hotdog is fine (depending on your taste, of course), but ketchup doesn't go on a Chicago dog. A Chicago-style hot dog is a particular way to serve a hot dog and has yellow mustard, white onion, green relish, sport peppers, tomatoes, dill pickle spear, and celery salt. That's how it's served, that's it's name, but you can actually have ketchup on a hot dog in Chicago without getting run out on a rail.
Ya know, I keep reading this, but I grew up on the northwest side and the little dive hot dog stands (several different independently owned) I went to always put ketchup on their hotdogs. No celery salt. No sport peppers--hell, didn't even know what those were until I was an adult and moved. Ketchup wasn't a problem until Chicago dogs became "trendy". Hell, fluorescent green relish was used not for trendyness, but because it was cheap.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:16 PM

I LOVE Spam! Winner!

I was craving pizza the other day and too lazy to pickup or have it delivered. Took some Totinos pizza rolls, covered them with tomato sauce, sprinkled some Italian herbs, added some pepperoni slices and four cheese blend (not mozzarella), nuked for five minutes. DELICIOUS!

Edit: Gonna try this with some Hot Pockets I have next time.

Last edited by lingyi; 07-31-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner View Post
Ya know, I keep reading this, but I grew up on the northwest side and the little dive hot dog stands (several different independently owned) I went to always put ketchup on their hotdogs. No celery salt. No sport peppers--hell, didn't even know what those were until I was an adult and moved. Ketchup wasn't a problem until Chicago dogs became "trendy". Hell, fluorescent green relish was used not for trendyness, but because it was cheap.
I grew up and still live on the Southwest Side, and no dog here ever had ketchup as part of an "everything on it" order. I can only think of one place I've been to in the city limits where I've had to say "everything, no ketchup" and it was some little joint just west of the literal Loop (el tracks). Can't remember the name off-hand, but it threw me off guard, as that was the first and only time I've had to say "no ketchup" within the city.

I don't know anything about Chicago dogs being "trendy."

That said, sport peppers are optional -- you usually have to ask for them, in my experience. My local hot dog place did a pared-down style of the Chicago dog (like the kind you see at Gene's and Jude's, and Jimmy's Red Hots.) No poppy seed bun; no tomato. This neon green relish crap? No idea where the hell that came from, but I didn't realize that was an actual thing until well into my teens. Around here, relish was the normal muted darkish green color.

And "no ketchup" isn't really just a Chicago thing. I've found a lot of New Yorkers to be no-ketchup people as well.

That said, I don't like ketchup on an all-beef dog, but for some reason, I like it on a pork-beef dog. Just enough to cut through some of the vinegariness.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:25 PM

Miracle Whip: Dunk rolled up Bar-S baloney slices into it, while standing in front of your trailer trash refrigerator, at 2 a.m. Wash it down with Pepsi, then put on your dirty red MAGA cap and go back and watch Fox News. That's the best use of Miracle Whip.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:43 PM

Chili without beans is just some kind of fucked up Sloppy Joe shit.

Ketchup on hotdogs is fine; it's mustard that fucks everything up.

Chips & salsa is a perfectly cromulent meal.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:37 AM

I only like chili with beans. Chili without beans makes no sense. Yes to ketchup on hotdogs, yes to White Castle. Miracle Whip? Haven’t had it in over 50 years. I’ve never had a Hot Pocket and don’t intend to.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Ah but Cool Whip is a key ingredient in Watergate salad. Watergate salad is a delicious treat but when you have it, you have to watch out for bugs.